New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #6721
    Banned

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    How so, if I may ask? Personally, I see a vast difference between some minor mocking here and there, and abusing Mookie Solomon style.
    I'm sorry sir, I seem to have spit in your soup whilst chortling like a choking baby. Here, let me get you a new bowl.

I'm a mod on the Keenspot DD forum, so I spend a lot of time there, and I also spend a lot of time here reading this thread for the humorous comments about Lord Dominus and the like, and I can say with all honesty that the high-pitched whining and crying in this thread far exceeds the loathesome nature of the Keenspot forum.
    Last edited by Nevrmore; 2008-03-15 at 01:13 PM.

2. - Top - End - #6722
    Bugbear in the Playground

Were spoiled. You know how it goes. I never thought there was that much whining and crying. Wait, we whine and cry every time DD updates, don't we?
    Last edited by Raroy; 2008-03-15 at 01:39 PM.

3. - Top - End - #6723
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Raroy View Post
    Ah yes, the classic argument of let them live in their ignorance, their happy that way. If they really enjoy something bad then they will never be able to appreciate something that is of quality. But it's fine if the fans live on in a loving hive mind mentality. If you all share the change in heart then go ahead and email. Now that I think of it, I don't think anyone will take action. People will just almost give.
    See this is what I'm talking about. It's exactly the additude one shouldn't go into a message board with as there is literally no way that statements like this will not start a flame war. Hell, it even offends me, the thought that the things you like are "something that is of quality" while the things that you dislike are just bad, and only the ignorant enjoy it.

What you need to understand is that the people here have chosen to actually analyze the comic from a story telling perspective. (A perspective that it is extremely weak in.) Most people who actually like the comic like it more for a quick chuckle from the childish humor. (Although many of us are just as guilty when it comes to this. "Haha! Belkar stabbed an innocent person! Lulz, so funny!")

If you go over there and tell them that what they like is bad, and what you like is good, it is not only ignorant, but needlessly inflammitory. I think it best to avoid the situation altogether. Although a constructive e-mail may be a good idea if you really think it's that important. (You can post his responses here, it will be great.)

Anyway, like all forum threads that get long enough, this one is starting to get a little heated between this and the GITP vs Keenspot forum arguments that I believe are about to start. Let's all just get back to talking about (mocking) the comic. I think the last thing that any of us wants is for this thread to get locked.

Also, before anyone crucifies me, I was not comparing OOTS to DD as a whole so put your pitchforks away.

4. - Top - End - #6724
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    See this is what I'm talking about. It's exactly the additude one shouldn't go into a message board with as there is literally no way that statements like this will not start a flame war. Hell, it even offends me, the thought that the things you like are "something that is of quality" while the things that you dislike are just bad, and only the ignorant enjoy it.

What you need to understand is that the people here have chosen to actually analyze the comic from a story telling perspective. (A perspective that it is extremely weak in.) Most people who actually like the comic like it more for a quick chuckle from the childish humor. (Although many of us are just as guilty when it comes to this. "Haha! Belkar stabbed an innocent person! Lulz, so funny!")

If you go over there and tell them that what they like is bad, and what you like is good, it is not only ignorant, but needlessly inflammitory. I think it best to avoid the situation altogether. Although a constructive e-mail may be a good idea if you really think it's that important. (You can post his responses here, it will be great.)

Anyway, like all forum threads that get long enough, this one is starting to get a little heated between this and the GITP vs Keenspot forum arguments that I believe are about to start. Let's all just get back to talking about (mocking) the comic. I think the last thing that any of us wants is for this thread to get locked.

Also, before anyone crucifies me, I was not comparing OOTS to DD as a whole so put your pitchforks away.
    I agree. As I stated on Keen, the "Let's go over and change these guys!" mentality is babble-and-drool-styrofoam-helmet level retardation.

5. - Top - End - #6725

I do seem to be acting like an elitist. Maybe what I like isn't even good at all. Maybe DD really is an above average web comic but since were all so dang picky we make it seem a lot worse then it actually is. I'm not going to bring up any moral points or anything because that would be taking it to far.

Who are we to say that Dominc Deegan is one of the worst comics out there? Who are we to mock this comic to all hell and back? Does this all even matter anymore? If we don't like the comic then why do we read it. It's as if we gain some kind of Sadistic/masochism pleasure. Oh thats right, we do it for the pleasure don't we?

But now a days I get the feeling that the pleasure is dwindling. Does anyone else feel this? Perhapses we have all been sitting on our mighty thrones for too long and are tired of poking at imperfections. Too rid of DD is to rid of the grand mockings that seem to be legendary. But, is there truly anything left to mock? At first the relationship was exciting and new while still being familiar. After time age seemed to take effect and less and less did it seem satisfying. Now I feel that I'm locked in this strange conundrum of not leaving because their could always be more, and yet I still grow tired of this.

I guess that would explain why I want DD to be no more. Do you all want it gone or do you still want to continue? I think I'm almost ready to quit. I wasn't much of a player, always standing on the sidelines, amused. Now the game bores me. My selfish wants shouldn't have anything to do with anything. I was the most recent person who wanted change, but change isn't always the answer.
    Last edited by Raroy; 2008-03-15 at 02:50 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6726
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nevrmore View Post
    I'm sorry sir, I seem to have spit in your soup whilst chortling like a choking baby. Here, let me get you a new bowl.

I'm a mod on the Keenspot DD forum, so I spend a lot of time there, and I also spend a lot of time here reading this thread for the humorous comments about Lord Dominus and the like, and I can say with all honesty that the high-pitched whining and crying in this thread far exceeds the loathesome nature of the Keenspot forum.
    Yay, soup!

Oh, I figure we are probably the most complaining community of them all; I mean, mocking DD is what we do here, and proudly so. My impression was that, while the Keenspot forum complained less, the complaints tended to get far more personal than those here. If this impression was false, or if I, unbeknownst to me, have descended to a harshness in my mockings I never intended, I suppose that would render my earlier statement hypocritical, in which case I apologise and will attempt atonement.

Well, my personal desire would be not to incite a flame war or troll for negative reactions, but rather to start a dialogue - because in my humble opinion, the function of any really interesting discussion is not to convince the other, but to exchange opinions to begin understanding the other's position. Because other humans are interesting, and understanding them insightful.

However, you do have a point: Their position might not be based on a different perception of the same issues, but arise from an entirely different approach (i.e. the "childish humour", as you said). In this case, well, maybe the discussion would not be so interesting after all, since it would quickly end in the bane of all interesting discussions: "It's just a matter of taste."

I agree. As I stated on Keen, the "Let's go over and change these guys!" mentality is babble-and-drool-styrofoam-helmet level retardation.
    "Let's go over and learn what drives these guys!", on the other hand, does not strike me as a particularly despicable motivation.

I do seem to be acting like an elitist. Maybe what I like isn't even good at all. Maybe DD really is an above average web comic but since were all so dang picky we make it seem a lot worse then it actually is. I'm not going to bring up any moral points or anything because that would be taking it to far.
    That wouldn't change anything about this particular comic's failings though. I don't care if there are worse comics, it's this one we mock, and I see no reason to change the target.

Who are we to say that Dominc Deegan is one of the worst comics out there? Who are we to mock this comic to all hell and back? Does this all even matter anymore? If we don't like the comic then why do we read it. It's as if we gain some kind of Sadistic/masochism pleasure. Oh thats right, we do it for the pleasure don't we?
    Well, I am very genuinely amused to a high degree by the completely different reality we twist the comic to in our mockings, the MST3King and what not. I find making up alternative explanations, speculating about what nonsensical thing is going to happen next, and pointing out the inconsistencies and other failings of the comic utterly hilarious. Nothing sadomasochistic about this mocker, no sir!

But now a days I get the feeling that the pleasure is dwindling. Does anyone else feel this? Perhapses we have all been sitting on our mighty thrones for too long and are tired of poking at imperfections. Too rid of DD is to rid of the grand mockings that seem to be legendary. But, is there truly anything left to mock? At first the relationship was exciting and new while still being familiar. After time age seemed to take effect and less and less did it seem satisfying. Now I feel that I'm locked in this strange conundrum of not leaving because their could always be more, and yet I still grow tired of this.

I guess that would explain why I want DD to be no more. Do you all want it gone or do you still want to continue? I think I'm almost ready to quit. I wasn't much of a player, always standing on the sidelines, amused. Now the game bores me. My selfish wants shouldn't have anything to do with anything. I was the most recent person who wanted change, but change isn't always the answer.
    No, I don't feel like this at all. I find the mocking to be as fun as ever; and if I thought there was the slightest chance for such a mail or posts to change DD into something unmockable, or, God forbid, end it entirely, I would adamantly insist we abstain from such a course of action. Fortunately, I don't think Mookie would take any of our criticisms seriously and change anything about his work (in my opinion, the email would not so much serve delivering constructive criticism to him, but rather learning about his own stance towards the problems we perceive).
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

7. - Top - End - #6727

Alright, since I was speaking in circles last time I've got this to say;

We do what we must..because...we can.

Making people believe what you believe is harsh experience because they have their own opinion. It's gets hard to accept others people's beliefs when they are ridiculously out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind
    "Let's go over and learn what drives these guys!", on the other hand, does not strike me as a particularly despicable motivation.
    Sounds a lot better this way.

I interpret it as wishful thinking. You state it in an extreme example(It seems that people always use extremes to show their point). Is wanting to change things such a stupid idea? Especially if you believe if it's for the greater good.
    Telling people what they should like and dislike isn't so much for the greater good, more for yourself so others will think like you. You and Anteros are right, people can like whatever they want.

If the people here like the mockery, then that's fine too. We can mock it if we want to. It's not as if we are hurting anyone. Criticism here is rooted in opinion, not horrid facts that we should wave in other's faces. There also are people here still enjoy the mockery and going on to create a flame war just might take it away from them.

I'd like to take this moment to apologize for being an ass. I am not holier-thou anyone. For whatever interpretation of Enlightenment, all have one thing in common: Enlightenment is for those who seek it.
    Last edited by Raroy; 2008-03-15 at 04:30 PM.

8. - Top - End - #6728
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, this will take some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    [hilarity]
    Seriously, he's a businessman: Invest in one of those damn amulets Urban Eddie was wearing! It'd be like me starting a business and launching a plot to destroy the FBI to evade a federal indictment!
    [hilarity]
    Heh, this is actually another important thing Mookie didn't care enough to think about. I mean, Serk may not know about the possibility to acquire something like that, but other villains like Celesto and the Infernomancer should, since they practice magic, after all.
    So, why don't they have accessories like that?
    After all, Snowsong had resistant clothing, meaning that
    1. it makes you immune to magic, but doesn't block your own.
    2. this stuff is fairly affordable, since Snowsong was neither rich nor a high-ranking member of the chosen.

Quote Originally Posted by rubakhin View Post
    Speaking of which. Did I hallucinate this, because I saw the film about six thousand years ago, but wasn't that exact scene in The Crow?
    I don't remember the characters exactly, but there was a very similar scene.

Quote Originally Posted by ElfLad View Post
    OK, Gregory, let's see you insert your throbbing awkwardly phrased member comment into her vagina this conversation.

However, I found this particular strip to be the funniest in a long, long time, though for all the wrong reasons.
    I mean, given the ambiguity of "saving" in Dominion, Gregory's faux pas almost passes as a Freudian slip.

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    I'm pretty sure that ANY afterlife where you were accompanying Mookie for eternity would qualify as a special layer of hell.
    Mon dieu!

Regarding second sight in court:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Seeing is supposedly highly contextual, though we rarely see how that might matter.
    Well, since such visions don't show too much, it must also be accounted for that the perception of second sight is of course influenced by the views of the seer in question. But, with the (probably discontinued for good) ability to detect lies at will, it shouldn't be too hard to make sure this seer tells the judge/jury everything he has found out.

So, like especially Monnock pointed out, it should count as circumstantial evidence.

However, I can see one problem here, and I'm sure Mookie will use this to justify why scrying is not admissible in court: the ability to send visions, used by Jacob and - possibly - Celesto against Dominic, which means there always is the risk of a received vision being placed with the intent to mislead the seer.

Regarding the planned invasion of Mookie's message board:
    Spoiler
    Show

I think you guys should leave Mookie's forum alone. We're all perfectly entitled to our opinions, and it's great that we express them here. That said, it's not our obligation or our right to force our opinions on others.

If the people on that forum genuinely like something, who are we to tell them how wrong they are, or how bad it is?
    Well, I'd think of it as promoting the ideas we are entitled to.
    I mean, if you go there to actually discuss the failings of the comic, you may piss a lot of people off, it may or may not even be your intent, but the main offense would be posting your opinion in a forum where it is not wanted.
    And, at the risk of sounding rude, I don't care about that.
    After all, it's only a message board, one where Mookie's fans would outnumber us actually, so there's no way of imposing our opinions upon them, we could only confront them with them. And if this happened to change their attitude towards Dominic Deegan, it would either be because we have convinced them or because they didn't exactly love it in the first place.
    Of course, approaching this with a certain level of respect is necessary.

Anyway, my question is, why bother? This thread here is funnier than the comic has ever been, and Mookie's writing always was below average, so his 'dramatic' arcs don't really cut it either.
    So, I don't see any reasons for trying to help him improve the comic, and salvation for blindfolded fanboys is not one of my top priorities, either.

What would be funny, however, is going there and acting like a regular fan who however interprets the characters differently, mainly seeing Dominic as an anti hero, Greg as a hapless pawn, Szark as a dangerous psychopath about to relapse and whatnot. I'd really like to see how the people there would react to some dude applauding DD for being darker and edgier.

But, the risk of a flame war will probably keep me from doing this, as will my apathy.

@ InkEyes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by InkEyes View Post
    His world and its denizens are interesting, but he needs to spend more time fleshing them out. Have a story arc or even a section of his website dedicated to showing a least a map of the world and the dominate races of each region and maybe a bit about the governments of the countries central to the story.
    May I ask what exactly you find interesting about them? Because everything I can think of is Dejah the slime wizard, who's always been just a gimmick, and only a few other characters, mainly Jacob, Donovan, and pre-Flanderization Szark.
    And absolutely nothing about the world he had years to flesh out seems to be more interesting than what one can encounter in a usual run-of-the-mill campaign world, at least to me.

Try to improve the art. This can be done best by sitting down somewhere and drawing anything and everything in sight. Buy/steal/borrow some anatomy books and find out how the human body moves. You can't put your own spin on the human body if you don't know what the basic structure of a human is.
    Sketching might help just a little bit, too.
    By the way, has anybody been following the blog? If so, what ever happened to the revolutionary new art style he's been playing around with?

Find books/reputable articles on any topic he is unfamiliar with.
    A first recommendation: link

@ Nevrmore: I don’t read the Keenspot forums, but anyway…
    […]I can say with all honesty that the high-pitched whining and crying in this thread far exceeds the loathesome nature of the Keenspot forum.
    The what now?
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2008-03-15 at 06:33 PM.

9. - Top - End - #6729
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Went back through Snowsong thanks to whoever linked that one panel... and I noticed the famous "Sometimes, it's just magic." line is actually just a code-word.

Though that only means that Mookie hasn't actually admitted that his magic system has fallen out of the realm of "explainable system".

Or something. Meh, like this panel - since when could a master seer be physically sucked into someone else's mind? Since magic viruses could turn into the real form of ther mindscape personification, I guess.

Bleh.
    That Belkar. As stubborn as he is stone cold sexy.

Still a Belkar fan.

10. - Top - End - #6730
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

edit: Ok, I give up on these forums. They always die out on me, I put refresh, nothing happens, I refresh, nothing happens, I refresh, and then I find I posted 4 times in a row.

Sorry about that, was not my intent :(
    Last edited by kukn; 2008-03-15 at 07:32 PM.

Still a Belkar fan.

11. - Top - End - #6731
    Barbarian in the Playground

@^ Kukn, you know you can delete your own posts right?

12. - Top - End - #6732
    Titan in the Playground

I foresee a Sunday Spash of Mookie-D v. Celesto in full Mindscape Glory.

Celesto is just going to say "Heh, look at my power - you are So Last Season!" and Mookie-D will reply with "we're Not So Different, you can change!"

Then Celesto will eject Mookie-D from Travoria's brain and make it explode. Or, since he's Mookie, will put her into a deep coma and send her to Aberxast to be cared for by the priests.

Re: Internet Invasion
    Spoiler
    Show
    Generally a bad idea. Flaming is one of those things that I hate most about the Internet - it never brings out actual flaws or weaknesses in an argument, and is almost always instigated by someone who likes attention/conflict. There's no reason to bother Mookie's Peons.

Re: "Whining and Crying"
    Spoiler
    Show
    I like to think we do it with a self-awareness and flair that raises our simple complaints to an art form of some sort. Or at least above the level of the standard They Changed It And Now It Sucks sort of Fan Dumb Fan Dumb commentary.

Plus, we link more!
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

13. - Top - End - #6733
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    Heh, this is actually another important thing Mookie didn't care enough to think about. I mean, Serk may not know about the possibility to acquire something like that, but other villains like Celesto and the Infernomancer should, since they practice magic, after all.
    So, why don't they have accessories like that?
    Actually, Serk was pretty savvy with magic.

He hired Scarlatti not only because he was an excellent duellist, but also because his sword hindered magical healing - so, when Scarlatti 'disarmed' Donovan, there'd be no way that Donovan would be able to play for any concert.

He also had a 'pocket house'. "Very powerful magic. Very expensive."

Provided what Barnet said was true, and this isn't another lame red herring, he also knew enough to use a go-between to hire an assassin and specifically point her to an ex-blinder in order to get the gear...
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

14. - Top - End - #6734

No words, just a stare down. Are the pictures of Barnet suppose to evoke emotion? I get nothing from it.

(Yes, I'm still doing this stuff.)

15. - Top - End - #6735

Bell-bottoms.
    a secret to everybody.

16. - Top - End - #6736

Is Dominic wearing 2 different colored shoes? O_o

Also...Celesto...not particularly imposing in this picture.

What's going on with Barent? Her face is bleeding? Kinda? She's tied to a wall? In her mind? Now I'm just thinking it's Mookie again with his damn restrained women. Lemme guess...Dom's gonna be all noble and save her?

Note: This panel may be more emotional/scary if I hadn't read all of the Berserk manga and wasn't and avid horror movie fan. I'm kinda hard to scare now.

17. - Top - End - #6737

Quote Originally Posted by HellPuppi View Post
    It looks more like part of his scarf suddenly became part of his pants to me...

Also...Celesto...not particularly imposing in this picture.

What's going on with Barent? Her face is bleeding? Kinda? She's tied to a wall? In her mind? Now I'm just thinking it's Mookie again with his damn restrained women. Lemme guess...Dom's gonna be all noble and save her?

Note: This panel may be more emotional/scary if I hadn't read all of the Berserk manga and wasn't and avid horror movie fan. I'm kinda hard to scare now.
    And I read the entirety of Shadow Star / Narutaru last week. I'll admit that Narutaru is more just plain wrong than it is scary, but still. It has its moments.

Back onto Deegan:

I view this page as a genuine, but not quite far enough attempt at a Rape the Dog moment of Celestio; appropriately via Mind Rape. I say that the attempt is not far enough, because this is a mere Kick the Dog moment for him.

For it to granduate to Raping the Dog, a comment on, say, how he has altered Barnet's perseption of time, so what has been a few minutes to the outside world would seem like years of torture for Barnet might just qualify there.
    Last edited by Justyn; 2008-03-16 at 03:29 AM.

18. - Top - End - #6738
    Ogre in the Playground

...Didnt his scarf used to be yellow and purple? Or was i imagining it?

Oh, and Celesto looks quite good in this picture, i think. If only he'd give Lord Dominius his just desserts and make him asplode.

Alas, poor Celesto. He'll probably be "Redeemed" or something.
    Everything I say is 100% TRUTH*
    *may contain traces of lie

Loki avatar by Dr.Bath.
    (I totally ship him and Curly. But shhh, it's a secret.)
    Formerly known as Aziraphale.

19. - Top - End - #6739
    Titan in the Playground

I foresee a Sunday Spash of Mookie-D v. Celesto in full Mindscape Glory.
    You were right. How remarkably unsurprising.

Then Celesto will eject Mookie-D from Travoria's brain and make it explode. Or, since he's Mookie, will put her into a deep coma and send her to Aberxast to be cared for by the priests.

I assume this was just an ambiguous formulation, but your words imply that Celesto is, in fact, yet another of the clones... Mookie-C...

I believe that his artificial leg did not follow him into the mindscape this time for some reason. Yes, I know, on previous occassions his missing leg used to be restored instead, but Mookie.

Quote Originally Posted by Aziraphale View Post
    Alas, poor Celesto. He'll probably be "Redeemed" or something.
    The Celesto Project was our last, best hope for improvement. It failed. But, in the Year of the Seer War, it became something greater: our last, best hope for victory. The year is 2008. The saviour: Celesto 5."
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

20. - Top - End - #6740
    Pixie in the Playground

I haven't used this account in so long but I just need to join in the snark at last. Ever since they banished TIM I've been waiting for this stuff, I love the far realms and damn it, even Mookie's terrible ideas and art would have... probably made its horrors all the better, honestly. Though this may be too much credit, since he seems to consider crazy powers to amount to screwing with the comic panels as some sort of ineffectual idea I can only describe as painting on the fourth wall.

All that waiting, hints like his TENTACLE EYESZ, I couldn't imagine it not being good, then after what? Months of minor threat level ticks from the guy and no one caring about it we finally see the lovecraftian horror that is... his blue jeans.

He looks like the guy who used to sell drugs across the road from my high school as opposed to some mind crushing badass.

But yeah, we can flawlessly move her to third caste now, there's no doubt anymore. Those pictures seal the deal on her becoming a Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain. And I blame you for you're tropeing ways, It's really true isnt it?

21. - Top - End - #6741
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SnowballMan View Post
    @^ Kukn, you know you can delete your own posts right?
    Actually, I didn't know that, never noticed the delete button. Stupid of me, I put ashes on my head in penance. Cheers for the tip, SnowballMan.

And for a short "if only" excursion... imagine if the Monday strip was another surprise colour splash - with Celesto standing pretty much the same, unmoved, and Mookie-D and Barnet's heads exploding. If only...

Still a Belkar fan.

22. - Top - End - #6742
    Orc in the Playground

I view this page as a genuine, but not quite far enough attempt at a Rape the Dog moment of Celestio; appropriately via Mind Rape. I say that the attempt is not far enough, because this is a mere Kick the Dog moment for him.
    The problem, of course, being that a 'rape/kick the dog' moment doesn't actually WORK when the dog is an unsympathetic monster who, up until 2 comics ago, has basically been kicking and raping smaller, cuter dogs since the first moment it was introduced.

Seriously, if Celesto doesn't mention how he scryed about Dominic torturing Barnet and lol about how hypocritical Dommykins is, I MAY stop reading the comic.

I believe that his artificial leg did not follow him into the mindscape this time for some reason.
    when Dommykins was doing his retarded-he-man-outfit-thing with the virus, I went trawling through the archives to try to find a spot where Dommykins, when within a mindscape, DIDN'T have a fully restored leg in order to bitch about it.

This is the first time Dommykins' leg has been gone. His anti-seer virus that severely weakened him didn't steal his power to have two legs in his mindscape, and there is absolutely no reason that this should. This is a painfully transparent LOOK I REMEMBER THAT HE'S CRIPPLED move.

23. - Top - End - #6743
    Troll in the Playground

Uh...so, Celesto hired Barney baby, sent her to randomly attack seers, of course knowing she would inevitably end up going after Dominus and being captured, planted a vision in his head...only to confront him directly again?
    Of course, it will probably be explained why he didn't just use some fifth caste redshirt. After all, he will want to mess with Dominic and get his revenge on the Travoria family for breaking his poor little heart. And there will be some reason why he couldn't just use Luna.

Still, not the greatest of plans.

Anyway, prediction: talking heads for the next three days. Fighting will start thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Actually, Serk was pretty savvy with magic.

He hired Scarlatti not only because he was an excellent duellist, but also because his sword hindered magical healing - so, when Scarlatti 'disarmed' Donovan, there'd be no way that Donovan would be able to play for any concert.

He also had a 'pocket house'. "Very powerful magic. Very expensive."
    Well, the house is pretty much a magical status symbol.
    (Actually, I'm surprised Brakkis didn't arrive in Barthis in a magical carriage. A very, very long and aerodynamic one.)

Anyway, Scarlatti's sword, which actually was made from a resistant material or treated to be resistant, means he knew about the possibility.
    So, as he was filthy rich back then, why didn't he invest in one? Given the amount of protection it offers, this would generally seem like a good idea.

Provided what Barnet said was true, and this isn't another lame red herring, he also knew enough to use a go-between to hire an assassin and specifically point her to an ex-blinder in order to get the gear...
    Well, I guess by now the only option left for Brakkis to evade his destiny as a herring would be some cooperation between him and Celesto, which would offer a wonderful opportunity to derail the latter.

I assume this was just an ambiguous formulation, but your words imply that Celesto is, in fact, yet another of the clones... Mookie-C...
    Wouldn't it make sense though?
    After all, this comic mainly exists for two reasons:
    1. wish fulfillment
    2. whoring out Mookie's...ahem..."philosophy"

The non-snark audience probably reads it for the same reasons.

Now Dominic, as the hero of the story, is a more or less idealistic protagonist who, despite "knowing" that the world's populace predominantly consists of total morons, tries to do the right thing™.

Celesto, on the other hand, is a more tragic figure, used as a projection surface for any "the world always does me wrong although I'm really smart because I read like five wikipedia articles a day and that's why people suck" tendencies.

As such, he isn't only Dominic's evil counterpart who's not so different after all, he might even be a manifestation of his unconscious mind.

I believe that his artificial leg did not follow him into the mindscape this time for some reason. Yes, I know, on previous occassions his missing leg used to be restored instead, but Mookie.
    It may be because he was violently pulled in, but then again, as Clockwork Seal pointed out, this makes no sense after the recent fight against the virus.

@ kukn:
    By the way, it's not always necessary to refresh the page. Just open it again in another tab. More often than not I found out my message had already been processed.

24. - Top - End - #6744
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

So, as he was filthy rich back then, why didn't he invest in one? Given the amount of protection it offers, this would generally seem like a good idea.
    Because then Brakkis would have been intelligent! I mean, he only knew enough to be able to hide the fact he was breaking the law in multiple ways by exploiting shell corporations, manipulating people left and right... any dummy can do THAT. Just look at Dom.

Well, I guess by now the only option left for Brakkis to evade his destiny as a herring would be some cooperation between him and Celesto, which would offer a wonderful opportunity to derail the latter.
    Well, logically, any cooperation shouldn't happen. Celesto's been manipulated in the past, so he would see any attempt by anyone to get him to go along with their plan as an unwarranted imposition on HIS agenda. He'd much sooner rip Brakkis into small bits of goo than work with him.
    Which is, of course, why Mookie will make them cooperate... long enough for Celesto to find something 'amusing' to do with Brakkis.

25. - Top - End - #6745
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kei View Post
    I haven't used this account in so long but I just need to join in the snark at last.
    Welcome! Make yourself a home; just take care not to anger the Inquisition! *looks around shiftily*
    They have their spies everywhere!

Ever since they banished TIM I've been waiting for this stuff, I love the far realms and damn it, even Mookie's terrible ideas and art would have... probably made its horrors all the better, honestly. Though this may be too much credit, since he seems to consider crazy powers to amount to screwing with the comic panels as some sort of ineffectual idea I can only describe as painting on the fourth wall.
    So what you are saying is, Mookie's drawings only seem to be crude and lacking in talent, while actually the non-Euclidean geometry of the Dominion, the inhuman faces of its denizens and such unspeakable, clearly extraterrestrial types of matter as glasswood are actually a deliberate attempt to subconsciously scare the psyche of the readers by how alien and unusual this environment must seem to us?

All that waiting, hints like his TENTACLE EYESZ, I couldn't imagine it not being good, then after what? Months of minor threat level ticks from the guy and no one caring about it we finally see the lovecraftian horror that is... his blue jeans.
    Well, to be fair, the tentacle eyes were TIM's shtick, not Celesto's - it might be taken as testament to Celesto's power that he escaped from that dungeon dimension (physically) unaltered.

But yeah, we can flawlessly move her to third caste now, there's no doubt anymore. Those pictures seal the deal on her becoming a Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain. And I blame you for you're tropeing ways, It's really true isnt it?
    Misery likes company. Why should only we be trapped in the elaborate trap that is TVTropes?

Quote Originally Posted by Clockwork_Seal View Post
    The problem, of course, being that a 'rape/kick the dog' moment doesn't actually WORK when the dog is an unsympathetic monster who, up until 2 comics ago, has basically been kicking and raping smaller, cuter dogs since the first moment it was introduced.
    Indeed.

Seriously, if Celesto doesn't mention how he scryed about Dominic torturing Barnet and lol about how hypocritical Dommykins is, I MAY stop reading the comic.
    The problem is, I actually suspect this might be Mookie's reaction to the notion that what Dominic did there was torture, the faint echo of which somehow reached him from far away fan-peasant lands in his ivory tower, and that he specifically created this situation to have Dominic explain how what he did was something Entirely Different and A-Okay.

when Dommykins was doing his retarded-he-man-outfit-thing with the virus, I went trawling through the archives to try to find a spot where Dommykins, when within a mindscape, DIDN'T have a fully restored leg in order to bitch about it.

This is the first time Dommykins' leg has been gone. His anti-seer virus that severely weakened him didn't steal his power to have two legs in his mindscape, and there is absolutely no reason that this should. This is a painfully transparent LOOK I REMEMBER THAT HE'S CRIPPLED move.
    That's what I was thinking; thank you for taking the dangers of an Archive Trawl upon you to make it certain.
    And actually, I think it's merely for the purpose of making Celesto able to comment upon the loss of Dominus' leg (which was, after all, directly related with Celesto's actions).
    Remember kids, consistency should always step aside if it gets in the way of snazzy one-liners! (It may also want to tip its hat, though this is not strictly necessary)

Wouldn't it make sense though?
    After all, this comic mainly exists for two reasons:
    1. wish fulfillment
    2. whoring out Mookie's...ahem..."philosophy"

The non-snark audience probably reads it for the same reasons.

Now Dominic, as the hero of the story, is a more or less idealistic protagonist who, despite "knowing" that the world's populace predominantly consists of total morons, tries to do the right thing™.

Celesto, on the other hand, is a more tragic figure, used as a projection surface for any "the world always does me wrong although I'm really smart because I read like five wikipedia articles a day and that's why people suck" tendencies.

As such, he isn't only Dominic's evil counterpart who's not so different after all, he might even be a manifestation of his unconscious mind.
    Yeah... seems much like it.
    Okay, so how many clones have we identified so far?
    Mookie-D, obviously.
    Mookie-N, Nimmel, the young yet brilliant kid.
    Mookie-C, Celesto, the tragic and misunderstood facette.
    There were more... who am I forgetting? There's this one other brilliant kid from Dominic's class, I forgot the name... though I am not sure whether this kid really is still a Mookie clone. It seems as if he was intended to be, but then Mookie decided to go with Nimmel in his place instead.

By the way, it's not always necessary to refresh the page. Just open it again in another tab. More often than not I found out my message had already been processed.
    Nerd-o-rama made a thread with tips what to do when posting while the forum is in agony in the Board/Site Issues forum yesterday.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

26. - Top - End - #6746
    Barbarian in the Playground

Okay, so how many clones have we identified so far?
    Mookie-D, obviously.
    Mookie-N, Nimmel, the young yet brilliant kid.
    Mookie-C, Celesto, the tragic and misunderstood facette.
    There were more... who am I forgetting?
    Don't forget Mookie-Z, the dramatic crossdresser.
    Quote Originally Posted by Helanna View Post
    This. This is the best thing that has ever happened in all 34 threads, ever. This has made every single second spent on Dominic Deegan not wasted time. Every time I stayed up to see the sneaky gate, every rage-filled post I've ever made, every time Mookie's writing has caused me physical pain - so, so worth it.

27. - Top - End - #6747
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TamerBill View Post
    Don't forget Mookie-Z, the dramatic crossdresser.
    Ohhh, but I so very much would like to!
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

28. - Top - End - #6748
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Would Donovan and Miranda count? They're standins for Mookie's parents.

29. - Top - End - #6749
    Titan in the Playground

Well, as ridiculous the Deus Ex Momina might be, I don't think she (or Donovan) can be considered Mookie clones, merely stand-ins for his parents, as you say. I think we cannot have that count.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

30. - Top - End - #6750
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

We'll file them under 'RL mirror' clones, then.