New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #8251
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire

AhhhhHHHHH!!! The Mathematical Manifestation of Madness!!!!

-Thayus

2. - Top - End - #8252
    Pixie in the Playground

The obvious answer to Prento's research is that Dominic must be killed before he brings about the end of the world.

3. - Top - End - #8253
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Well on the plus side dominic's mind breaking would tie up a lot of loose ends, while being completely awesome to watch (see justice league episode Wild Cards).

4. - Top - End - #8254
    Firbolg in the Playground

This is just awesome. You know, now that I think about it, the last panel of yesterday's comic looked a lot like it was starting to break already...

Re: Cyclopean

Dictionary.com gives the following definition:
    1. of or characteristic of the Cyclops.
    2. (sometimes lowercase) gigantic; vast.
    3. (usually lowercase) Architecture, Building Trades. formed with or containing large, undressed stones fitted closely together without the use of mortar: a cyclopean wall.
    So, the first definition could work here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

5. - Top - End - #8255
    Bugbear in the Playground

Okay, now this strip is good. I'm not even going to qualify it with some complaint or insult or a bet on how many seconds the aura of quality will last. Excellent work.

(Khosan may have a point, but I'm not going to listen to it. Why not? Because that's my hairstyle, I wear glasses, my walls are lined with bookshelves and adorned with equally geeky and thematically similar posters, and my prized plush Necronomicon rests atop one bookshelf near the door. Things on my desk right now: a cup of water, sheets of disorganized math homework, two piles of books, and one article of clothing. Sometimes the stereotype can be kind of accurate).
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

6. - Top - End - #8256

I'm not even going to ask what that measuring cup of blue stuff is, or why someone cut a sliver of prento's hat off...

Prento seems kinda cheery at the thought of going insane and taking his friends and colleagues with him, and just how often does this happen to be so thoroughly documented, and yet even with this the government sees nothing wrong with letting seers go free even with the possibility that they could bring down whole cities.

Hey, what if stress contingency had a chain effect, so every seer known by another got it too when the insanity started, with the students, mookie z, celesto and a few z listers, dominus could end the world!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

7. - Top - End - #8257
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inyssius Tor View Post
    Okay, now this strip is good. I'm not even going to qualify it with some complaint or insult or a bet on how many seconds the aura of quality will last. Excellent work.

(Khosan may have a point, but I'm not going to listen to it. Why not? Because that's my hairstyle, I wear glasses, my walls are lined with bookshelves and adorned with equally geeky and thematically similar posters, and my prized plush Necronomicon rests atop one bookshelf near the door. Things on my desk right now: a cup of water, sheets of disorganized math homework, two piles of books, and one article of clothing. Sometimes the stereotype can be kind of accurate).
    It's not the room that bothers me though (personally, I have stacks upon stacks of cans of orange soda that sit next to my computer, which I would eventually like to turn into a pyramid). It's Prento being relegated to being your basic, nerdy social-retard with no concept of what is and is not dangerous. Nevermind that his "favorite teacher" could snap at any minute, nevermind the possibility of mind-rapes for everyone, he can't get over how awesome it's going to be when he tells professor Deegan his awesome findings, because he's completely without empathy and social grace.
    Last edited by Khosan; 2008-05-11 at 07:51 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8258

I have to tell you, I would be the idiot that would tell someone that (that they make go down while taking everyone they know and love down with them) just to see if it would happen.
    I mean the teacher you thought was kind of a pretentious jerkwad is about to have a mind-split that could destroy a town. How is that NOT awesome?

9. - Top - End - #8259
    Troll in the Playground

Heh. I actually wonder if Mookie really only thinks in stereotypes. It more or less obviously applies to women and "jocks", probably also gays. And now we have Prento, who is, like Khosan said, apparently unable to comprehend human emotions and has to think in scientific terms and theories all the time and believes finding something that could drive him and numerous other people insane is the coolest thing ever - because it's so rare and sciency.

Is that what Mookie's thought patterns are like?

Maybe he, a self-proclaimed "geek" and "nerd", even only thinks in those categories himself, applying essential qualities to each member of those groups. Discerning the fundamental nature of these is seemingly a gift only nerds possess.

Or maybe he thinks it is totally hilarious. Which it isn't.

(Also, @ Inyssius Tor: Mookie's living room probably looks kinda like that or at least did in the past. Do you really want to call that "excellent work"? )

Anyway, this mindbreak stuff is ridiculously moronic once you realize that Mookie doesn't actually want to mock his own comic.
    Uncontrollable visions penetrate and "flood" the minds of every family member, friend, co-worker, civil servant and shop assistant a seer has ever talked to, causing widespread insanity. What the hell?

A whole city sinks in a sea of chaos and terror. Everything is in flames. The air smells of burned flesh, smoke and human feces. All the sounds a human can possibly produce billow over the scenery, creating a cacophony of madness.
    Some people run the streets screaming while clawing their own eyes out after they set fire to their own homes. Some chase after their horrified children, their mouths foaming and the glow in their eyes showing a feral hunger for human flesh. Some just flutter around and peck at the ground, thinking they are chicken.
    And why? Because that seer living downtown got his tax bill.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2008-05-11 at 08:28 PM.

10. - Top - End - #8260

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    And why? Because that seer living downtown got his tax bill.
    I think that a year of nonstop fear and fighting is a bit more than a tax bill thanks.

11. - Top - End - #8261
    Troll in the Playground

The seer I was talking about is obviously a rather nervous and easily excitable person.

12. - Top - End - #8262
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TGecko View Post
    The obvious answer to Prento's research is that Dominic must be killed before he brings about the end of the world.
    I thought he was the lord of all evil through?
    from
    EE

13. - Top - End - #8263

Quote Originally Posted by EvilElitest View Post
    I thought he was the lord of all evil through?
    from
    EE
    Of course

HAIL THE DARK LORD PRENTO!!!

14. - Top - End - #8264
    Banned

Of course

HAIL THE DARK LORD PRENTO!!!
    He makes the puppets dance
    from
    EE

15. - Top - End - #8265
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    Heh. I actually wonder if Mookie really only thinks in stereotypes. It more or less obviously applies to women and "jocks", probably also gays. And now we have Prento, who is, like Khosan said, apparently unable to comprehend human emotions and has to think in scientific terms and theories all the time and believes finding something that could drive him and numerous other people insane is the coolest thing ever - because it's so rare and sciency.

Is that what Mookie's thought patterns are like?

Maybe he, a self-proclaimed "geek" and "nerd", even only thinks in those categories himself, applying essential qualities to each member of those groups. Discerning the fundamental nature of these is seemingly a gift only nerds possess.

Or maybe he thinks it is totally hilarious. Which it isn't.
    This is usually the point where someone brings up the syndrome that starts with "A" and rhymes with 'Grassburgers."

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

16. - Top - End - #8266
    Titan in the Playground

What is with Mookie and his magic diseases? I don't care whether or not Dominic actually is suffering from these so-called Seer Diseases, nor do I expect the resolution of this plot of have an effect on anyone.

Why?
    1) These diseases are so ludicrously ad hoc that they cannot possibly be affecting Dominic. Wouldn't his mother have been on the lookout, knowing that her son is a Mighty and Powerful Seer? Wouldn't the Royal Seer have been subject to concern? Wouldn't somebody have been worried just being around Dominic knowing that, occasionally, they go insane and spread infectious insanity when they go? Might as well say "oh, did you know that women sometimes have PMS, and it can cause entire towns to get PMS at the same time? We didn't mention it before because it only happens to plot-sensitive rare individuals." Pah!

2) Prento. Nobody cares about another Mookie clone. He sucks, and his "research" looks like a sitcom episode that takes an entire month to resolve, instead of a half hour.

3) People sometimes have normal problems. Seeing them resolves these problems is interesting, because they must act like people to do so. Attaching a ridiculous moniker to them and solving them with magic is not plot development - it's hand waving.

Also: Why is Prento's hair white? Seriously.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

17. - Top - End - #8267
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Why is Prento's hair white? Seriously.
    Prento wants to be just like Sephiroth one day.

18. - Top - End - #8268
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khosan View Post
    Prento wants to be just like Sephiroth one day.
    Prento IS Sephiroth, you fool!
    Bow before the mighty Prentephiroth!
    (Also: http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=200)

19. - Top - End - #8269

*CRACK*

Guess what that was.

20. - Top - End - #8270
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Justyn View Post
    *CRACK*

Guess what that was.
    Now taking bets he will milk this entire week into one single moment so he can turn mindbreak into a sunday splash.

21. - Top - End - #8271
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kei View Post
    Now taking bets he will milk this entire week into one single moment so he can turn mindbreak into a sunday splash.
    I don't take sucker bets.

Quote Originally Posted by Justyn
    *CRACK*

Guess what that was.
    The fourth wall breaking? No, wait. That's been gone for a long time now. XD

22. - Top - End - #8272
    Orc in the Playground

Is it just my imagination, or is Mookie trying to silence his critics by boring them to death? I can't recall a single strip over the last month that has either been good on its own or good snarking material.

23. - Top - End - #8273

Also: Why is Prento's hair white? Seriously.
    Hey, I thought you were the tropemeister!
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

24. - Top - End - #8274
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Hey, I thought you were the tropemeister!
    But Prento is neither an Albino nor a pretty-boy; he's just a nerd. So why did Mookie make him have white hair? The only answer must be "because he thought it would be cool" which is why he does anything, anyhow.

Also: Why didn't Steffanie kick Prento in the nuts? After he said "Maybe he resisted it. Nimmel's awesome" full-stop I would have incapacitated him however I could.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

25. - Top - End - #8275

But Prento is neither an Albino nor a pretty-boy; he's just a nerd.
    It's the Mookiverse, where nerds are sexy because Mookie wills it.

Plus, he may very well be an albino, for what Mookie knows of albinism.

26. - Top - End - #8276
    Titan in the Playground

Mookie-P's hair color aside, panel 6 of today's strip makes my teeth ache. Seriously do we have to be "reminded" how awesome and great Dominic is every two strips or so?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

27. - Top - End - #8277

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    Mookie-P's hair color aside, panel 6 of today's strip makes my teeth ache. Seriously do we have to be "reminded" how awesome and great Dominic is every two strips or so?
    That's why I'm rooting for Prento and hoping he will manage to trigger this "mindbreak" thing and destroy the comic.

28. - Top - End - #8278
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khosan View Post
    It's not the room that bothers me though (personally, I have stacks upon stacks of cans of orange soda that sit next to my computer, which I would eventually like to turn into a pyramid). It's Prento being relegated to being your basic, nerdy social-retard with no concept of what is and is not dangerous. Nevermind that his "favorite teacher" could snap at any minute, nevermind the possibility of mind-rapes for everyone, he can't get over how awesome it's going to be when he tells professor Deegan his awesome findings, because he's completely without empathy and social grace.
    Maybe he's just a psycopath.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

29. - Top - End - #8279
    Ogre in the Playground

Good fun with today's strip. Good fun like the kind you get with fortune cookie fortunes, where you have to add "in bed" to the end of it.

Instead of adding stuff on to the end though, just replace the words "contagion" and "mindbreak" with "the AIDS." Feel free to replace a couple others to have it make more sense.

30. - Top - End - #8280
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turcano View Post
    This is usually the point where someone brings up the syndrome that starts with "A" and rhymes with 'Grassburgers."
    But would we ever let Mookie get away with that?
    I think the phenomenon can more appropriately described with something that rhymes with sucking gag, which is strangely appropriate.
    (It also somehow rhymes with 'cutting-edge' a little if you pronounce it right, which is far from it.)

Anyway, Prento is as insane as this strip is a unneeded recap of the last week or so. And he's a loser. And yes, by all means, he must be stopped by a kick in the balls.

Also, I find it noteworthy that he pays compliments to men and women (or girls in that case) in the same retarded way.
    So, since that of course has to mean something, I guess he could...
    • be asexual.
    • have realized that no one would ever want to put up with him and deny his sexuality.
    • be bisexual.

If the last is correct, I predict a romance between him and Szark. And it doesn't matter if he's a high school student. It also doesn't matter that it would mean that Szark's unable to love someone who isn't at least the maniacal mini-me version of Dommie-Sue. Mookie is the kind of author who walks right into that.