New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread III: Now in HD!

I'd go -0 for all of them.

It's not just that you can't get healed or buffed. You can't use most magic items either.

You basically need to go VoP Druid ... except I'm not sure you can actually hold or use a druidic divine focus.
    No DM is ever truly out of tricks to mess with his/her players.
    No player is ever truly out of ways to surprise their DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

With fewer HD, the Hellwasp Swarm could be playable. It'd even be a fun character.

The others, with their "Int: --" lines, seem unplayable to me.

3. - Top - End - #303

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    With fewer HD, the Hellwasp Swarm could be playable. It'd even be a fun character.

The others, with their "Int: --" lines, seem unplayable to me.
    As has been the case through all three threads, anything with Int < 3 (or just mindless) is assumed to somehow get there by DM allowance.
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zergling.exe View Post
    As has been the case through all three threads, anything with Int < 3 (or just mindless) is assumed to somehow get there by DM allowance.
    These don't have sufficient compensation to make the -10 Int playable.

They don't have special features to compensate the loss of Mindless.

They seem unplayable to me, for reasons which are compatible with the thread.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

I'm still not sure about the bat: weapon immunity is very strong for only three levels. Even a druid can't just turn into a swarm already by then.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I would put the bat swarm at least a 0

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking over all the swarms; I agree most are -0, and I also share the sentiment that the bat swarm should maybe be 0.
    It kinda depends on how some things are adjudicated, which might depend on the dm.
    for instance: swarm attack doesn't work like a regular attack, so how would various damage modifiers you might acquire affect it? like if you use a martial maneuver boost that increases weapon damage with unarmed strikes, would that help it? How does it interact with actions? RAW, it looks like the swarm attack doesn't take an action; it's just automatic at end of your turn, so you could take a standard action and still get in your swarm attack. Can you make martial maneuver strikes from disciplines that have unarmed attacks as a discipline weapon?

immunity to weapons is a nice ability, which always remains somewhat relevant (outside of high op all caster situations). and the other swarm immunities are quit ehandy, even with the massive downsides.

classwise, the stuff that seems it might go well would be dragon shaman (fast healing aura gives you a way to heal some), druid, or initiators.

either dragon shaman or that desert wind stance plus some tumble ranks can get you fire resist 5, which removes a lot of the othre ways for mundanes to hurt you.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

8. - Top - End - #308

Vulnerability to AoE is pretty terrible for you.
    Immunity to weapons is nice, sure ... but I think the disadvantages are substantially worse than the advantages.
    The inability to use most magic items is a huge disadvantage.

You also have no ability to speak.

Is there a Wis-based manifester? You basically need to go into that and take VoP.
    Anything that mandates the use of VoP is ungood.
    Like, for example, who would play a variant human that instead of the human bonus feat, got VoP as a bonus feat. It would make for very niche builds.

Between the downsides and associated/inherent build complications - I just don't see any swarm as worth it.
    No DM is ever truly out of tricks to mess with his/her players.
    No player is ever truly out of ways to surprise their DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Possibly not a great point of comparison, but the Silithar (LoM p.168) has a Swarm form and gets immunity to weapon damage: 9RHD, LA +8. It gets a bunch of other stuff too, so like I said, maybe not a great measuring stick for swarms.

10. - Top - End - #310

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by zlefin View Post
    Looking over all the swarms; I agree most are -0, and I also share the sentiment that the bat swarm should maybe be 0.
    It kinda depends on how some things are adjudicated, which might depend on the dm.
    for instance: swarm attack doesn't work like a regular attack, so how would various damage modifiers you might acquire affect it? like if you use a martial maneuver boost that increases weapon damage with unarmed strikes, would that help it? How does it interact with actions? RAW, it looks like the swarm attack doesn't take an action; it's just automatic at end of your turn, so you could take a standard action and still get in your swarm attack. Can you make martial maneuver strikes from disciplines that have unarmed attacks as a discipline weapon?
    The SRD text on the swarm subtype says that swarms don't make standard melee attacks. As a DM, I would personally interpret that as "swarms can't make standard attacks," but I guess some DM's might see it differently. The trouble is, with Tiny or smaller size and no weapon options, and inability to grapple, melee generally isn't going to work well for you: your niche is sitting on your enemies and doing nothing while they repeatedly roll saves against nausea, which is not only a very narrow niche, but also a very boring way to play the game.

In my games, I homebrewed swarm attacks to work like natural weapons, and gave some extra-attack options and scaling options. But, without stuff like that, swarm attacks are just hard to do anything with, because the damage doesn't scale or synergize with anything.
    Last edited by Blue Jay; 2017-09-07 at 03:05 PM.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

So, since a swarm has thousands of creatures, each, presumably, with its own mouth, would a swarm dragonfire adept get thousands of breath attacks? Because that's a quick path to stupid damage.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

12. - Top - End - #312
    Troll in the Playground

I assume a single, multi-mouthed creature would not, instead using its breath weapon out of one mouth. So, I'm gonna say no.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    So, since a swarm has thousands of creatures, each, presumably, with its own mouth, would a swarm dragonfire adept get thousands of breath attacks? Because that's a quick path to stupid damage.
    Swarms get one standard action.

Each breath takes one standard action.

If you're going for ridiculously dumb, though, you've stopped too soon: centipede swarm Rogue with multiweapon fighting and 98 little daggers each.
    Last edited by Nifft; 2017-09-08 at 12:58 AM.

14. - Top - End - #314

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Only if your DM is a complete moron with a very large bag of dice.
    Last edited by Blue Jay; 2017-09-08 at 01:05 AM.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

I think a swarm's breath weapon would be all the tiny creatures firing their tiny breath weapons at once, IMO. It fits and it makes for a cute image, honestly.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    I assume a single, multi-mouthed creature would not, instead using its breath weapon out of one mouth. So, I'm gonna say no.
    Pyrohydras and cryohydras do. Chimerae don't, but then, the heads are explicitly not identical. Can't think of other SRD monsters with multiple heads and at least one breath weapon ...
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

Swarm (2)

More of the same, to be honest.

Locust Swarm

6 RHD, diminutive, and no ability bonuses apart from dexterity. This thing is arguably weaker than the bat swarm had they had the same amount of HD: with the locust having twice that -0 is the only thing I could reasonably assign.

Rat Swarm

The only Tiny-sized one amongst the swarms, which sadly mangles that magnificent weapon immunity. Low speed, bad ability scores, and no further special abilities beyond a weak disease force me to put this down as another -0.

Spider Swarm

Now this is interesting: a diminutive swarm with only 2 RHD! Tremorsense, a climb speed, and poison are all pretty nifty, and I think this one deserves +0 if only for giving access to swarm traits at a relatively low level. I admit it's close to -0, though.

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

IIRC, another interesting fact about the centipede swarm is that it is the only creature to have a negative constitution modifier. Usually only PCs are the only creatures to ever dip below 10.

I know that elves technically count, but they all cheat by putting 12 or better in their stat blocks. Only the centipede swarm wears that 8 constitution like a medal- and bulls-eye on their chest.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

Swarms get one standard action.

Each breath takes one standard action.

If you're going for ridiculously dumb, though, you've stopped too soon: centipede swarm Rogue with multiweapon fighting and 98 little daggers each.
    Brilliant. Truly, that would be death by one thousand cuts. Or 147,000 cuts, as the case may be.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Spider Swarm

Now this is interesting: a diminutive swarm with only 2 RHD! Tremorsense, a climb speed, and poison are all pretty nifty, and I think this one deserves +0 if only for giving access to swarm traits at a relatively low level. I admit it's close to -0, though.
    Str -10, Dex +6, Con ±0, Int -10, Wis ±0, Cha -8 => net -22, is that a record?

Mindless means no skills or feats. Having an Int score removes Mindless.

Is that +0 based on having skills & feats, or is it based on immunity to mind-affecting effects? Because it's one or the other, not both.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Is that +0 based on having skills & feats, or is it based on immunity to mind-affecting effects? Because it's one or the other, not both.
    Well actually...

A swarm is immune to any spell or effect that targets a specific number of creatures (including single-target spells such as disintegrate), with the exception of mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects) if the swarm has an Intelligence score and a hive mind.
    The swarm subtype is kept after getting an intelligence score, but that doesn't give it a hive mind (which is a distinct special quality with a RAW definition). In other words: they keep their immunity to mind-affecting effects as long as these target a specific number of creatures, which means they are immune to almost all mind-affecting things.

Extended signature!

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

The swarm subtype is kept after getting an intelligence score, but that doesn't give it a hive mind (which is a distinct special quality with a RAW definition). In other words: they keep their immunity to mind-affecting effects as long as these target a specific number of creatures, which means they are immune to almost all mind-affecting things.
    Are there any Swarms which have an Intelligence score and do NOT have the Hive Mind property?

When you say, "The swarm subtype is kept after getting an intelligence score, ..." -- how did that Swarm get an Intelligence score? What's the mechanism and/or rule?

23. - Top - End - #323
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

I think a swarm's breath weapon would be all the tiny creatures firing their tiny breath weapons at once, IMO. It fits and it makes for a cute image, honestly.
    This sounds awesome, i have to try it one day :D
    Last edited by Daedroth; 2017-09-08 at 09:12 AM.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

Are there any Swarms which have an Intelligence score and do NOT have the Hive Mind property?
    How about rat swarms?

If you were asking about intelligence scores over 2 instead, there's the Silthilar from Lords of Madness.

When you say, "The swarm subtype is kept after getting an intelligence score, ..." -- how did that Swarm get an Intelligence score? What's the mechanism and/or rule?
    A Living Awaken could do it by engulfing the swarm, for one. If the swarm isn't an animal, have a Living Aspect of the Wolf engulf it before.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2017-09-08 at 10:05 AM.

Extended signature!

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

How about rat swarms?
    Nice, that does prove viability of the concept.

Cool, rat swarm and hellwasp swarm are both playable.

The others -- the Int-null crowd -- remain unredeemed garbage.

A Living Awaken could do it by engulfing the swarm, for one. If the swarm isn't an animal, have a Living Aspect of the Wolf engulf it before.
    Living Awaken on a rat swarm is a neat idea. Good backstory, too: "So I wake up in the Mournlands, and I'm a pile of rats..."

However, the Aspect of the Wolf idea seems pretty implausible, especially from a books-thrown-at-face perspective. Using a rounds-per-level effect to qualify for a permanent upgrade is just not something that would fly in any group I've met.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Troll in the Playground

Regarding breath weapons, there is no general rule to that effect, but the Multiheaded template does say that the creature breathes from all of its heads. So a creature with n heads with a breath weapon that only comes from one of them which gains a head from Multiheaded can then breathe from all n+1 heads.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

Nice, that does prove viability of the concept.

Cool, rat swarm and hellwasp swarm are both playable.
    Don't forget bats.

The others -- the Int-null crowd -- remain unredeemed garbage.

Living Awaken on a rat swarm is a neat idea. Good backstory, too: "So I wake up in the Mournlands, and I'm a pile of rats..."

However, the Aspect of the Wolf idea seems pretty implausible, especially from a books-thrown-at-face perspective. Using a rounds-per-level effect to qualify for a permanent upgrade is just not something that would fly in any group I've met.
    I'm honestly not too concerned with the overall practicality of such ideas. This thread isn't meant to be a detailed guide to giving certain monsters an intelligence score in ways most DMs will approve, it's meant to be a guideline for people who want to walk up to their DM and say 'this is a thing I want to play, the community suggested this LA for it, and it is not impossible for it to be intelligent'.

Extended signature!

28. - Top - End - #328

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    Regarding breath weapons, there is no general rule to that effect, but the Multiheaded template does say that the creature breathes from all of its heads. So a creature with n heads with a breath weapon that only comes from one of them which gains a head from Multiheaded can then breathe from all n+1 heads.
    Multiheaded requires a discernible head, which raises issues. I know there are some that explicitly say that swarms have no discernible anatomy. MMII? I'm not near my books.
    Vincent Omnia Veritas
    Bandwagon Leader of the Hinjo Fanclub

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by White Blade View Post
    Multiheaded requires a discernible head, which raises issues. I know there are some that explicitly say that swarms have no discernible anatomy. MMII? I'm not near my books.
    Wouldn't rules on swarms only printed in the second monster manual have been superseded by the 3.5 rules on swarms when the monster manual came out?

Extended signature!

30. - Top - End - #330
    Troll in the Playground

Wouldn't rules on swarms only printed in the second monster manual have been superseded by the 3.5 rules on swarms when the monster manual came out?
    AFAIK yes, since 3.5's Monster Manual is the primary sources for monsters in 3.5. I would need to check my copy of the rules Compendium to see if they were changed there.