New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Rokugan in the Shadows Ch 1: Gathering Dark

Tun

The strange man looks upon the now reunited, if somewhat singed, group with a calm face. He seemed to be waiting for something. He tiltes his head to see if any others would be arriving. None do.

He began too speak "How odd. I was told there would be more." He seemed slightly disturbed by this, though for what reason he did not say.

"Very well." He seemed to collect himself and with a deep bow he spoke. "Welcome, my Lords, to Rokugan. I must apologize about your rough arrival. You were supposed to enter this plane three days ago. But I suppose with how contested this world is this is the best we could expect."

He righted himself. "You may call me Tun, at your service." He began to move away and gestured for them to follow. "If you would follow me, we have much to discuss."

The being makes his way towards the bastion and motions them inside. Once inside they come across another scene of carnage. The dead miltia and samurai alike are strewn about in in ones and twos, a desperate struggle for survival happened here.

But something was strange. There were only human corpses. No undead, no giants, nothing.

The man takes the scene in. He seems sad, but quickly moves on and turns back to the group.

"Now we will have a little privacy. The Wang-liang are excellent killers and make fine mercenaries but will do anything to gain an advantage. Now, I believe you had questions?"
    Last edited by Avatar_Image; 2017-09-07 at 07:50 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Niku no Seijin

Knowing that his "brothers" like playing long running schemes on him, he thinks that they may have a hand in the shift to this plane.

"The Voice had said that we needed to prevent "them" from reclaiming the city before we first arrived here, if you could, clarify what faction the "them" stands for. And if possible why this city is so important to the plan(s) of this magnitude. Also, if the Wang-Laing are such good mercenaries, why go through the effort of pulling us from where we came from? I have more questions, but I'll allow the others to bring forth their concerns before asking an more."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Tun

"In reverse order, the wang-liang are honorable creatures and forthright to a fault but are some of the worst opportunists. This city is important becuase it is one of the focal points on Kai's wall. As to what the voice told you I have no idea. I am not privy to whatever was shared. Only that I am to aid you however and wherever I can."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Jade

"So there are two armies out there, both of which will try to kill us on sight. Are you and the, uh, wang liang supporting one of those sides or a third party? My new companions are quite impressive, but how are we going to make a difference against armies? And who's Kai?"
    "Do Driderettes buy their legwarmers in bulk?"

5. - Top - End - #95
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Tun

"Kai's wall refers to Kaiu, the man who designed and made the wall out there possible in the face of nonstop assualts from Jigoku, the forces of darkness."

Tun pauses, and the says "One of those armies may not necessarily be a problem. I may be of assistance there."

He reaches into a satchel on his person and presents a number of items.

A regal looking signet ring and letter, an ornate box with a symbol of healing, a necklace of smooth wooden spheres shining with light, a flask with rainbow liquid within, and a talisman the shape of a crab's claw.

"These items may be of use to you. "

"As for your use on this plane, that is entirely up too you. Just know the more you act in accordance to your summoning, the greater and more expedient your rewards. Enough so, that with time, armies will matter little. "

With that he waits.
    Last edited by Avatar_Image; 2017-09-10 at 04:55 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

I don't really have any questions, I mean beyond the usual ones- where to get more power, wine, a room, and some rothe would be nice but that may be me getting home sick. he casts his eyes down remembering the only place he has ever been before.
    Last edited by WarHunter; 2017-09-09 at 10:12 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Tokazou

After significant distraction swatting zombies, Tokazou made it through the burning wall and looked at the rest of the group. He was naked and his black scaled were spattered in gore, especially around his forearms and mouth.

"Trinkets? Games?" He squats down and turns the crab claw talisman over. "You bring food?"
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Around inside perimeter of this twenty-foot tower a staircase rises then branches towards the centre of the building near its ceiling. The austere stone walls have no decorations, although two walls have simple hooks that hang thick, long clubs lined with metal. A few are missing, and you see many of them on the corpse-littered ground. Though there are a few broken tables and chairs, further evidence of whatever killed the guards is missing.

Outside, you hear the muted crunch of buildings resonate among the dull shambling of the undead crowd. A rush of voices greet the closed doors, and two of the large-sized Wang-liang enter.

One of the dark-furred giants says, "Tun, as agreed, we're ready to dismantle the wall." The other nods in respect to the silver-eyed agent, but he also grimaces. "We must consider the castle garrison. Archers are gathering there; if they assemble in good numbers, and from the castle'ss fortifications, our strength will be meaningless amongst their numbers."

"Okay...A few of us were going to secure the docks. There's barely any guards left, and if we clear them out, perhaps we can ship in more allies." Both of them them turn their predatory gazes to the party.

"Say...we could use a hand there, so we can secure the castle."
    "Yeah. We would be glad if you'd all help secure the docks. What do you say?"
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    Playing Thorn in Knee Breakers

more

9. - Top - End - #99
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Kanishi glances jealously at the crab claw talisman. ""Shiny..." He reaches forward with a claw, frustrated when the large lizard-man yoinks it away. "That matches my hands, and would look very nice embedded in my shell. Riiiight..." he points to the back of his shell, a specific bump with a small crevice upon it. "Here."

Upon the mention of the other army, Kanishi seems genuinely confused. "Funny, the humans here did not seem to attack or fear me... he says, rubbing his eye with his mandible in contemplation, "... and why are there so many crab-things about?" Kanishi seems genuinely confused. This level of crustacean iconography was unheard of, even near the fishing community near his cave that loved the sea so much.

"Fisherman are at docks. And fishermen have fish." Kanishi glances around, skittering from side to side. "I am ready! Let us proceed towards the dock, so they can give me tribute!" He pauses. "Unless they have spears. If they attack is with spears, I shall destroy them. It is a 50/50 chance, in my experience."
    Last edited by Lightning Fast; 2017-09-11 at 05:58 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Tun

Tun nods at the entering giants. "The armies of Rokugan are tenacious, however when that gate is breached they will have larger more dangerous foes to battle. Great enough to escape their retribution this day."

He turns to Kanishi and tells him that the humans in this city worship the Crab as one their guardian spirits. All crabs of Rokugan are considered the great crabs children and are honored as such. Which brings them into contention with the other clans who only see them as food.

"If there are no other questions then my current task is complete." He turns to the wang -liang. "My services are now available for a fair price."
    Last edited by Avatar_Image; 2017-09-11 at 07:24 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Jade has few concerns about the fate of the samurai. She knows from experience that they are as much predators as any zombie. But there were others in this city who might not deserve what's happening to them. A few, at least...

"What do you plan on doing with this city when it's taken? Who will rule here?"

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

One of the Wang-Liang says to Jade, "WE will rule here. This was originally our home; we will take it back and brook no Humans that diminish our return. The Crab" it emphasizes with a menacing growl, "may be more honorable amongst others of its kind, but they actively supported its acquisition instead of dealing with us. For thousands of years we've looked forward to this invasion; until we have back homeland, we will not make promises about the future."

more

13. - Top - End - #103

RogueGuy

Kanishi's tiny crab brain struggles a bit. He can't understand why these folks are doing this to humans that worship crabs. If they worshiped crabs, then...

"... If these are the lands of the crab, does that mean I am king?" Kanishi perks up. "These humans will not attack me with spears, then..." The idea fascinated Kanishi. Some of the men near his cave would sometimes bring him fish in hopes of appeasing a wrath he had no interest in bringing down on them. In truth, he only wanted to be left alone, or at least be safe from their nasty harpoons and fishing spears.

... But perhaps if he made friends with these crab-worshipers, they would bear their spears for him instead of against him? "... These particular men do not sound so bad. They recognize the inherent superiority of the great crustaceans of the sea, after all!"

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Tokazou

The great lizard stared at the claw trinket for a moment before licking one side and sticking it to Kanishi's shell. He made an attempt to follow the conversation but was more than a little confused.

"Do crab people taste like crab or people?"
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

The Wang-liang snickers at the musings of Kanishi. "They revere Oo-aka-no-hida, the Great Red One. I would be surprised if the people of this city kept to their traditions of old."

The other Wang-liang turns to Tun. "Perhaps we can talk above. We have arrangements we would like to arrange for but..." it looks to the five of you. "But it's a private matter."

A flutter of wings comes from above. A raven, larger than most, flies into the tower from above. A letter, sealed with wax dangles by string in its beak; it expertly flies to Tun. Once it deposits the letter in his hands it flies away.

All you can read without opening it are the following:
    "silver-eyed Tun"
    Hidago City, The Wall, South Rokugan

Delivered by Raven's Guild of Couriers: Excellent service. No questions asked.

more

16. - Top - End - #106

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

As I don't have enough crossbow bolts to take on a wall of archers I will be going towards the docks, now how are we spitting up the goods our friends here are providing us.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Niku no Seijin

"First off perhaps an explaination of the items you are providing us is in order, so we can figure out who to give them to. Then we can head to the docks in a show of good faith for the future."

Awaiting and hearing Tun's description of the items, and then figuring out how to divide them.

"Also what would be the best way to get to the docks, avoiding the army of the dead out there, as we are not from the country."

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

"Also what would be the best way to get to the docks, avoiding the army of the dead out there, as we are not from the country."
    The Wang-Liang answer this one. "You'll need to make your way around the north side of the castle. Follow the corpse-wall on this side; you'll pass through the market square, and see a wide paved road. Follow that to the docks. Only problem is, you'll need to be sneaky.

No small task, especially with..." he looks at Tokazu "Y'know, he might actually be better-used in our assault on the castle. Plenty of guards to eat. They will taste better than the peasant rabble by the docks. And you..." he appraises Kanishi.

After a few moments of sombre contemplation it speaks. "You know, they abuse their people; take the peasants' best grains. The same ones they let get turned to Zombies, they steal the women they want, have their way with them. Really, we're doing the peasants a favour by taking this city; it has been a place of oppression and evil even we would not stoop to. If you're to aspire to be a savior of this city, a king, you'd help us take these bad soldiers down. They deserve to suffer."

more

19. - Top - End - #109
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Tun
    As he reads the message Tun's face twists for a moment and says "All is as expected then." He rerolls the letter and places it in his satchel.

He turns to Niku and replies. "The items are somewhat tailored for your use. The letter is just a letter, it says that your party are Imperial agents and work for the good of Rokugan. It should give some leeway for the Clans. The signet ring is a magical ring, it shows that the bearer is a respected meember of the shugenja and allows greater diplomacy with all fair people of this land."

He gestures to the box "This box is a magical healing kit, it differs feom the norm as it can heal wounds to a person, the more skilled the more restoration occurs. You will find that sources of healing are hard to come by on this plane, this box will aid you until you can find a suitable replacement."

His hand drifts to the flask. Almost tenderly. "This flask is just glass, the liquid within however are tears freely given from a being of great knowledge. Should one imbibe these tears great knowledge will come to them. But be warned though this flask will refill itself, it does so at her whim. It is best if used sparingly."

He points at he talisman Tokazu and Kanishi are fighting over. "That talisman is a piece of an old story. It represents the Great Red One's early days where it needed to Hide to survive. Should you find the other pieces of his story, greater abilites will be unlocked."

And finally his hand rests on the glowing beaded necklace. "If you are to walk amongst this land, Kyorlin would be murdered on sight. However, this necklace will allow the Rokugani to believe he is bound. You must be judicious in your wrath, for if you are they will not suspect. It's center piece is imbued with the light of a holy being. Given his status as creature of darkness, this may cause discomfort, but it will be worth the price"

He turns to kyorlin. "Given your circumstances I know this must grate horribly, however there is an upside to wearing this. Lolths grip on this plane is tenuous at best and the magic wrought by her worshipers all the weaker for it. Should you wear this necklace for long enough, it may be able to return you your old self again."

He turns to the party at large. "I had other items but most were destroyed during the uprising. It will take me some time to renew my stock, untill then all I can provide is what I know. For a fair price."

20. - Top - End - #110

RogueGuy

Kanishi seems pleased once the talisman has been given to him. "If this is from the Great Red One, then I believe this belongs to me! ... His... son? Grandson? I am not good at religion; I did not even know that we crabs had a god. But seeing as I am the largest crab, it only makes sense that I am his heir!"

"Hmm... that flask looks familiar..." Kanishi mutters. There was something about that liquid and its knowledge-enhancing properties that seemed... apt to his backstory. He didn't entirely remember what, though.

Kanishi ponders the statements made by this Wang-Liang about the oppression of the samurai.

SENSE MOTIVE: (1d20+2)[10]
    Last edited by Lightning Fast; 2017-09-13 at 03:21 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Bound? he reaches out with an unclawed hand for the beaded necklace.What does that mean? How am I suppose to act while "bound"
    Also you said the dock was mostly peasant rabble does that mean the castle assault will have more samurai?

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Jade is confused. They're being asked to fight. That makes sense, considering that most of this group appears to be brawlers of some sort. But the magical items suggest diplomacy and espionage. How is that going to happen in the middle of what looks like an all out war? She winces at the Wang-Liang's comments...

"How are the peasants going to be free if they end up eaten, which is where this appears to be going at the moment... You're seriously going to protect them and then fairly govern the city once the fighting's over? I find that hard to believe from what I've seen."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense motive (1d20)[6]

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

The Wang-Liang shake their heads and look at each other.

"I think you have the wrong idea about this land; only the brutal survive. Few people can live a life free from its clutches and say they can find peace. You fight for what you get. If it is not humans, the it is the naga; if not the naga, then other spirits clamor for dominion of your space. The humans fool themselves into saying they protect the land.

Many hundreds of years ago, the Samurai slew a guardian of this area and blamed the deed wrongly on us. They had sealed the land with magic, binding it away and forcing its life-essence to the bidding of their shugenja. Even far away, we felt its recent stirrings, so we returned. The last few days, this city has endured a rebinding ritual that went afoul; the Kami, in its fury at being bound, reached out and subverted the magics. Now, the humans taste the kind of power forced on the Kami.

These docks? This area of the city? From the tenacity of the samurai here, this is the last area that has not fallen to the Blighted Walkers. All their friends, their neighbors? They are dead. They may struggle, but you would be doing them a mercy compared to the wrath of the Kami; if you'd watched them turning to the Blight, then you'd know.

But we know the spirit well, and it knows us. We have an agreement. Our return will bring us both peace.

Spoiler: Swami
    Show
    Jade sees many reasons to believe them.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2017-09-14 at 09:22 AM.

more

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Niku no Seijin

After hearing Tun's explaination of the items, and looking them over once more, Niku will turn to his companions.

"Is anyone skilled in the arts of healing besides myself? Also I feel as the one that looks the most like a human, I feel that I may be the best choice for trying to "talk" to the Clans, or at least get us an in, that the rest of us could exploit."

With his bit said, he will ponder what the Wang-Liang and Tun have said.

"Also Tun, before we part ways, is there an effective way to contact you should we require something specific that you could acquire for us? It seems horribly inefficient to just wait and hope that our paths cross at an opportune time."

25. - Top - End - #115
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Tun

Tun smiles. "Have no fear. Any item I have created can connect to me. Merely focus your thoughts upon an item within your possesion and I will hear."
    Last edited by Avatar_Image; 2017-09-14 at 09:15 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Jade looks down at the her torn clothes and the trickles of diluted acid leaking from her injured skin.

"Somebody here is trained to use that healing device? It appears several of us could benefit from that..."
    Spoiler
    Show

Jade is currently down 10 HP

27. - Top - End - #117

RogueGuy

Kanishi seems completely convinced by these nice gentlemen.

"In that case, let us go and... uhm... kill more things?" The crab seems confused. "... I believe that my shell will hold up fine against anything. Even if it is a bit dinged up."

((OOC: I've only taken like six points of damage, if I recall correctly.))

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

The door bursts open again. A bearded Wang-Liang enters. "I just came back from the Docks through the Northeast Road. They're pulling back guards. We..." His eyes sweep over the assorted party. Another of his kind nods to him and he continues, "We should be making our plans and bargaining for his services. Every moment we waste is dangerous. Let's go upstairs. One who calls himself Tun? You are known to us. Yes, let's talk about services."

The three giants grab Tun away from the party and crowd him upstairs.

Spoiler: Considerations
    Show
    With those Wang-Liang gone, a series of options face you. You can...
    A) Travel NE to the docks and see what's happening
    B) Try to sabotage the command structure of the Wang-Liang
    C) Escape the area and try to rescue others
    D) anything else?

more

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Upstairs, you hear muted discussion. It seems to be carried out barely above a whisper.

more

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

You all can hear the muted flames from both walls of corpses from the gatehouse. There is a milling sound from the zombies outside, and sounds of dead-like surprise. Likely some Zombies have wandered into the wall or been pushed into it.

more