New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Suggestions for my next creative writing endeavour?

Please, if you want to take a few moments, give me anything that seems likely to spark some writing. Brief premises or explanations, handfuls of words, snatches of poetry or song, images . . . whatever, as long as it's forum appropriate. I'm simply looking for some ideas - the dread leviathan Writer's Block isn't actually hitting me too badly, I have a fantasy novel on the go, but I'd like to be challenged a little and have some fun. I'll try to make something out of every suggestion, though I might run in strange directions. All I can guarantee is that there won't be any essays (from me, anyway; throw me an essay and I'll try to make a story or poem related to it).

Any and all writing sparked by this thread will end up on this same thread, I swear. (Cross my heart and hope to use a ballpoint pen.) You may not like it; I am an amateur. But I'll try my best, and hopefully this will be fun for everyone!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Suggestions for my next creative writing endeavour?

Let's give it a try...

Purple-prose-heavy (let's get it out of the system) cyberpunk noir story written as diary from the viewpoint of private eye's cat...!

Three hired assassins stuck in the same elevator. Two of them have the same "mark", third has to kill one of them, but does not know their face.

Two swords(men/women) are about to duel in a snowed-in garden. Who are they? Why they duel? Show it in flashbacks as they fight.

It's a parade - she wants to party, he wants to sleep, it wants to devour the world!

...ok, let me know if any of these is useful and if I should continue
    Last edited by Lacco; 2017-08-03 at 01:58 AM.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    Purple-prose-heavy (let's get it out of the system) cyberpunk noir story written as diary from the viewpoint of private eye's cat...!
    Well, I did say I'd give everything a try . . . can't guarantee the readability of said try, though.

Three hired assassins stuck in the same elevator. Two of them have the same "mark", third has to kill one of them, but does not know their face.
    I honestly love this one and can't wait to get started!

Two swords(men/women) are about to duel in a snowed-in garden. Who are they? Why they duel? Show it in flashbacks as they fight.
    Ideas are starting

It's a parade - she wants to party, he wants to sleep, it wants to devour the world!
    It's a little odd how well this matches a project I'd already started and abandoned. Maybe I'll pick that one up, maybe I'll start something new.

...ok, let me know if any of these is useful and if I should continue
    You gave me assassins in an elevator and questioned the usefulness of that suggestion?? Come to your senses!
    Last edited by AuthorGirl; 2017-08-03 at 08:13 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    Well, I did say I'd give everything a try . . . can't guarantee the readability of said try, though.
    Yeah, this was just first idea I got. When I get stuck, I usually write something truly horribly purple-prosey...

I honestly love this one and can't wait to get started!
    Will you send me the result? ...and when you become famous writer, send me a signed copy..?

This was also a plan for a 4-hour LARP I was planning at one point. However, we failed to find suitable elevator and the players stated they don't want to try it...

Ideas are starting
    I'm glad. Another idea: Two courtiers make a duel of wits in front of whole court... the loser dies.

It's a little odd how well this matches a project I'd already started and abandoned. Maybe I'll pick that one up, maybe I'll start something new.
    Really? Wow... didn't know I can peer into someone elses' mind...

...another idea: A known idea thief enters targets' mind just to find out he's really in mind of his hunter.

You gave me assassins in an elevator and questioned the usefulness of that suggestion?? Come to your senses!
    Heh... I often question my ideas. Low self-esteem, especially when I compare them to ideas that I often find here on the forum...
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.

Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

5. - Top - End - #5

Yeah, this was just first idea I got. When I get stuck, I usually write something truly horribly purple-prosey...
    Oh, me too, believe me.

Will you send me the result? ...and when you become famous writer, send me a signed copy..?
    Haha of course, I was planning to post the results on this thread anyway (AuthorGirl needs to get out of her comfort zone on occasion) . . . and thank you for the vote of confidence

. . . and the players stated they don't want to try it...
    Well, depending on the realism of said LARPing, can you blame them?

Another idea: Two courtiers make a duel of wits in front of whole court... the loser dies.
    Hmm, my first thought is that this was some sort of ritualized test of intelligence performed in the Underdark.

Really? Wow... didn't know I can peer into someone elses' mind...
    I wasn't expecting it either, but it seems that Smoke and Mirror (wizards dying of the cost of their power, and yes I know that trope is a little tired) get a second try.

...another idea: A known idea thief enters targets' mind just to find out he's really in mind of his hunter.
    Hmm and hmm again. Perhaps I now have a surprise up my sleeve.

Heh... I often question my ideas. Low self-esteem, especially when I compare them to ideas that I often find here on the forum...
    Hey, that's totally understandable (I'd swear that everyone here rolled 18s for their Intelligence scores), but having seen a random sampling of your ideas: the comparisons don't need to be unfavourable.

Anyway, I'm hoping to have at least one story polished and ready for display by sometime next week. Not a clue which one it will be.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Haha of course, I was planning to post the results on this thread anyway (AuthorGirl needs to get out of her comfort zone on occasion) . . . and thank you for the vote of confidence
    I'm looking forward to it. If I can help in any way, let me know (even if "help" means "shout "WOOOO! AUTHORGIRL!" in the background).

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony View Post
    Well, depending on the realism of said LARPing, can you blame them?
    Heh... my other ideas for LARPs were Resevoir Dogs meet Shadowrun gone wrong... party closed in safehouse after a run gone wrong.

Hmm, my first thought is that this was some sort of ritualized test of intelligence performed in the Underdark.
    Nice!

Why not? I have always wanted to do an "En Garde" campaign in Underdark

Hey, that's totally understandable (I'd swear that everyone here rolled 18s for their Intelligence scores), but having seen a random sampling of your ideas: the comparisons don't need to be unfavourable.
    Yeah, my problem is misreading the intents of people here. And sometimes writing down first idea I have... and then when someone writes much better-thought argument...

Anyway, I'm hoping to have at least one story polished and ready for display by sometime next week. Not a clue which one it will be.
    Ooooh! PM me then! I'll be glad to read it!

7. - Top - End - #7

Heh... my other ideas for LARPs were Resevoir Dogs meet Shadowrun gone wrong... party closed in safehouse after a run gone wrong.

Nice!

Why not? I have always wanted to do an "En Garde" campaign in Underdark

Yeah, my problem is misreading the intents of people here. And sometimes writing down first idea I have... and then when someone writes much better-thought argument...

Ooooh! PM me then! I'll be glad to read it!
    Um... What?! These are responding to an entirely different thread.

8. - Top - End - #8

I dislike the following fact, but it remains: I probably won't be finishing any of my writing endeavours very soon. I want to put a story up here, but it's still in progress and stalled; a touch of illness plus a truckload of allergies equals tiredness and a foggy brain.

So yeah. Maybe in two weeks.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wristlet Eater View Post
    Um... What?! These are responding to an entirely different thread.
    ...and?

They make perfect sense in my context. Which is crazy. Don't mind it

I dislike the following fact, but it remains: I probably won't be finishing any of my writing endeavours very soon. I want to put a story up here, but it's still in progress and stalled; a touch of illness plus a truckload of allergies equals tiredness and a foggy brain.

So yeah. Maybe in two weeks.
    I'll wait

If I can provide any help - let me know