New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Got a Real-World Weapon, Armor or Tactics Question? Mk. XXIV

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    I fenced a guy this weekend who used a flambard rapier. I asked him if it made a difference and he said it behaves a bit differently in a bind.

I didn't notice, but I'm new-ish to HEMA blades. It may have had an effect that I didn't register. I did win the bout and a number of binds with a borrowed straight bladed rapier. His weapon was on the heavy side, which I think was more relevant than the curves.

Obviously, we weren't really cutting one another, so I don't know about that, but I figured I'd pass on the anecdote.
    It's interesting that you mention that, because one of the theories about the wave blades - at least in some cases, is that it has some kind of effect in the bind. Not sure if I buy it but it's out there.

G

2. - Top - End - #812
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DerKommissar View Post
    I found so far only three modern uses for blades with a wave edge:

- cutting machines for bred, sausage cheese, etc: they recommend this edge for bread with a hard crust, straight edge for meat

- carpenters tools: they recommend it for cutting hard surface and mineral wool

- outdoor: cutting ropes, seatbelts, this kind of stuff, not good for cooking, difficult to sharpen

So it seems to develop an effect a bit like a saw, but doesent tend to get stuck (don’t know the word, maybe bite?) while the sawing movement.
    Did armor/weapon have parts that could be sewered? Like leather parts you could reach from the outside?
    One of the interesting things I've learned about swords over the years, is that different types of blades have fairly widely varying cutting effectiveness against different types of targets.

You can see some interesting threads on this on MyArmoury for example where they have done various types of test on different media. Tatami is kind of the standard but newspaper, pool noodles, plastic water bottles, wood, animal parts like from a butcher shop, and ballistic gel are all used for example.

When you narrow it down to the more realistic media, they find that the type of blade which cuts through bone effectively, or wood (like a weapon haft or a shield) often doesn't cut that well through soft media like the meat of a pigs leg or a tatami mat. And vice versa.

On top of that (and this might be the most relevant part) cutting through clothing can be surprisingly tricky. Very sharp thin blades cut through clothing best, whereas narrower wedge-like blades cut through bones and hard media best. Cutting through both simultaneously is the hardest. So in cutting contexts at HEMA tournaments the hardest level is usually a thick tatami mat with a wooden dowel inside and covered by cloth to simulate clothing.

When it comes to a fight with a Montante / Zweihander, or a rapier, there is an (arguably) better chance than usual that you might need to do a draw-cut if you get in a bind. Montante is mainly for chopping like a cleaver and rapier mainly for thrusting / stabbing, but if your opponent gets close there are techniques in the systems for slicing. maybe the wave blade is better at slicing or draw-cutting through textile armor or the kind of heavy clothes a soldier would typically wear.

That is kind of my theory anyway but we really don't know.

Also a wavy blade probably creates a horrible wound with a thrust.
    Last edited by Galloglaich; 2017-11-13 at 09:04 PM.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Galloglaich View Post
    It's interesting that you mention that, because one of the theories about the wave blades - at least in some cases, is that it has some kind of effect in the bind. Not sure if I buy it but it's out there.

G
    Yeah, I didn't notice a difference. It was a heavy, long blade, compared to what I was using, so he had an advantage in the bind, but I did a few where I got my strong on his weak, and that worked fine. If the wavy blade changed things, it was pretty subtle.

It's interesting seeing how the more realistic blades change the game. I do very well with rapier from 30 years of sport fencing. I can hold my own, and not lose too badly with a single sword like a sidesword or sabre. Sword and buckler I can kinda do OK, but worse than single sword. They mop the floor with me with longswords. Those are just too different, and not much of my experience carries over.
    Out of wine comes truth, out of truth the vision clears, and with vision soon appears a grand design. From the grand design we can understand the world. And when you understand the world, you need a lot more wine.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Titan in the Playground

Would it cause a wound more like wider a blade, without the full weight of the wider blade?
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2017-11-13 at 11:49 PM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Yeah, I didn't notice a difference. It was a heavy, long blade, compared to what I was using, so he had an advantage in the bind, but I did a few where I got my strong on his weak, and that worked fine.
    That's what it's all about ain't it?

If the wavy blade changed things, it was pretty subtle.

It's interesting seeing how the more realistic blades change the game. I do very well with rapier from 30 years of sport fencing. I can hold my own, and not lose too badly with a single sword like a sidesword or sabre. Sword and buckler I can kinda do OK, but worse than single sword. They mop the floor with me with longswords. Those are just too different, and not much of my experience carries over.
    So you find sport fencing (epee? saber? I can't remember what you specialized in?) translated more over to rapier than to smallsword? That's kind of surprising to me I would have thought smallsword would translate better.

Saber you'll probably just have to get more used to cutting from the elbow and the shoulder instead of just from the wrist, and moving off line (off the piste). Once you make that adjustment your skills should definitely translate there. Have you tried dussack or messer?

For longsword, if you decide to get into it (some rapier guys don't) just requires you to learn the basics first - especially the true / false edge stuff and the mastercuts. Once you have that down you'll do very well and your sport fencing background will help a lot. It takes ~ 2- 3 months though depending on your instructor and how much you train.

Dustin Reagan is an A rated epeeist and one of the top longsword fighters in the US. But he had to learn the longsword before he got good and his skills started to transfer over.

G

6. - Top - End - #816
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Would it cause a wound more like wider a blade, without the full weight of the wider blade?
    Good question, probably true...

7. - Top - End - #817
    Ogre in the Playground

What I have heard is that its wounds would be harder to treat, would bleed more and get infected more often...

If you make parallel cuts in a body, the flesh between them doesn't receive blood and it dies and rots; what you get is a wide wound with a piece of dead rotting flesh stuck in it...

A flamberge's doesn't make a single clean cut, because the "waves" are never perfectly aligned while slicing, but rather make parallel cuts inside whe wounds.
    Last edited by Clistenes; 2017-11-14 at 02:32 PM.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Ogre in the Playground

That's what it's all about ain't it?

So you find sport fencing (epee? saber? I can't remember what you specialized in?) translated more over to rapier than to smallsword? That's kind of surprising to me I would have thought smallsword would translate better.
    I imagine smallsword would be very close, but we didn't do any smallsword. Rapier was really easy to adapt to. The blade is heavier and bigger, but the principles are the same.

Saber you'll probably just have to get more used to cutting from the elbow and the shoulder instead of just from the wrist, and moving off line (off the piste). Once you make that adjustment your skills should definitely translate there. Have you tried dussack or messer?

Saber was pretty much what you say. after so long making all the cuts with my wrist and even fingers, it's just different to use the elbow, since I fought that tendency in sport sabre, because it gives them an opening and telegraphs your cut. The switch from a feint here to a cut there takes a lot more effort with a realistic blade versus a car antenna.

I did some dussack, which was closer to sport saber, just because of weight, no messer, but some arming sword and buckler. I had a lot of fun, and did OK, but its' mostly just adjusting to the different weapons and to less restricted footwork, use of the off hand and that kind of thing. Timing is still timing, parries are still parries.

And I have to remember to cover myself so as not to get hit by the afterblow, which isn't a thing in sport fencing.

For longsword, if you decide to get into it (some rapier guys don't) just requires you to learn the basics first - especially the true / false edge stuff and the mastercuts. Once you have that down you'll do very well and your sport fencing background will help a lot. It takes ~ 2- 3 months though depending on your instructor and how much you train.

Dustin Reagan is an A rated epeeist and one of the top longsword fighters in the US. But he had to learn the longsword before he got good and his skills started to transfer over.

G
    That makes a lot of sense. It just the most different thing I've tried.

I really wish the HEMA community was around 25 years ago when I was fencing competitively.
    Out of wine comes truth, out of truth the vision clears, and with vision soon appears a grand design. From the grand design we can understand the world. And when you understand the world, you need a lot more wine.

9. - Top - End - #819
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clistenes View Post
    What I have heard is that its wounds would be harder to treat, would bleed more and get infected more often...

If you make parallel cuts in a body, the flesh between them doesn't receive blood and it dies and rots; what you get is a wide wound with a piece of dead rotting flesh stuck in it...

A flamberge's doesn't make a single clean cut, because the "waves" are never perfectly aligned while slicing, but rather make parallel cuts inside whe wounds.
    I find those "it's more likely to kill the guy days later" explanations a bit, um, off, when it comes to designing weapons for combat.

If I'm the middle of a melee or in the press of battle, I don't care if someone dies in a week from infection, I care if I can make him stop trying to kill me right now, before he kills me.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2017-11-14 at 04:38 PM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

10. - Top - End - #820
    Dwarf in the Playground

Could it be that after a thrust it also does damage while being pulled out while not getting stuck so easily? No idea if this is a thing in the first place, just a guess...

11. - Top - End - #821
    Firbolg in the Playground

About "horrible pain/death, later", I think that it might have been useful indirectly, for the soldier, if your enemies were scared enough to avoid you. And, in heavier cases than the flamberge (poison?), it might have been useful as a contrinuting factor to scare off whole formations. Of course, this probably also means that, when your enemies muster up the courage to actually fight, both individually and as a formation, they are much more determined to end you.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

12. - Top - End - #822
    Ogre in the Playground

I find those "it's more likely to kill the guy days later" explanations a bit, um, off, when it comes to designing weapons for combat.

If I'm the middle of a melee or in the press of battle, I don't care if someone dies in a week from infection, I care if I can make him stop trying to kill me right now, before he kills me.
    True, but remember, flamberge blades never got really popular/mainstream, so most soldiers probably thought like you do; they didn't want to spend the extra money in something that wasn't that useful during actual combat... and then there was that guy who liked to be seen carring a weapon that could mess you up badly, not to win fights, but to be more intimidating...

If flamberges were really more effective than simpler blades in actual combat, everybody would have used them, or at least everybody with enough money to pay for it...

13. - Top - End - #823
    Titan in the Playground

Finally had the chance to watch the NOVA episode on armor from a few weeks back.

The point is reinforced for me as applies to RPG design is that quality matters. The idea that the type of armor is all that makes a difference needs to die.

"Does plate armor stop bullets?" Depends, what sort of plate are we talking about?

"Does 'chainmail' stop thrusts and arrows?" Depends, what sort of mail are we talking about?

14. - Top - End - #824
    Titan in the Playground

I've been away for a week and just catching up.

Quote Originally Posted by rs2excelsior View Post
    I remember reading references to similar studies that found some percentage of soldiers would actively seek out engagements--i.e. some percentage (20 or 30%) would fight to kill the enemy, most of the rest would fight to not get hurt. "Killers" and "fillers" were I believe the terms, in case that rings a bell for anyone else regarding what I might have been looking at.
    It can also depend on the service doctrine. I know during recent conflicts, US Army protocol to a convoy ambush was to break through and get clear, while the USMC standard response was to dismount and go kill the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    What about a wooden practice sword (like the solid ones used for kendo training)?
    There's two types of blunt training weapons used in kendo - shinai (made of bamboo) and bokken (made of wood). From experience, shinai hurt less - there's isn't that much difference between a solid piece of wood carved into a sword shape compared to a solid piece of wood shaped like a staff as both can be lethal when used appropriately.

15. - Top - End - #825

Musashi occasionally killed people with wooden swords, I think.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

16. - Top - End - #826
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    There's two types of blunt training weapons used in kendo - shinai (made of bamboo) and bokken (made of wood). From experience, shinai hurt less - there's isn't that much difference between a solid piece of wood carved into a sword shape compared to a solid piece of wood shaped like a staff as both can be lethal when used appropriately.
    I was talking specifically about bokken. I figured that shinai would leave bruises but be less likely to actually injure someone (hence the common use in introductory training).

BTW--I'm always grateful for y'all and what I learn. TIL the name of the bamboo training swords!
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

17. - Top - End - #827
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    I was talking specifically about bokken. I figured that shinai would leave bruises but be less likely to actually injure someone (hence the common use in introductory training).

BTW--I'm always grateful for y'all and what I learn. TIL the name of the bamboo training swords!
    We used to use shinai in the early days of HEMA (with crosses added), before we had the good nylon and steel feders. They aren't even 'solid' bamboo - but rather bamboo slats tied together in a very clever way so that they kind of bend to absorb impact when you hit something.

Very light (about 1 lb) and very good for sparring compared to say, padded boffer or larp type swords, because they have a realistic presence in the bind (i.e. hard rather than spongy) and they are pretty well balanced too.

The only downside is they are a little shorter than real longswords, very stiff so not safe to thrust with (you have to use a lot of control). And they are a little fragile and can break on shield rims etc., though they hold up pretty well against each other.

Good cheap sparring weapon if you want to learn any kind of hand-and-a-half sword fencing, whether Asian or European.

G

18. - Top - End - #828
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Musashi occasionally killed people with wooden swords, I think.
    Yes he did, you can train with bokken but you have to have very good control. It's hardwood so not too difficult to hurt somebody pretty badly with them.

19. - Top - End - #829

What's the mega-bokken called? I remember seeing it used in Niten Ichi-ryū videos. As long as a bokken, but heavier and far thicker.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Huh... I think wavy blades were made simply because people liked the aesthetics and/or assumed it had some useful property and "confirmed" it through the magic of confirmation bias... Not everything humans do is 100% about practicality and/or result of unbiased, scientific research and testing, after all. It certainly wouldn't be the first (or last) such case.

That said, I'm not an expert or even scholar on swords... I'm basing my hypothesis on human nature, rather than any actual knowledge on swords or martial arts.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2017-11-15 at 12:49 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

21. - Top - End - #831
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    What's the mega-bokken called? I remember seeing it used in Niten Ichi-ryū videos. As long as a bokken, but heavier and far thicker.
    I'm not familiar with the style, but a quick google check indicates they include use of a daitou (大刀), which is longer than a typical katana.

I've also seen mention of heavier training weapons solely intended for technique and strength building, the suburitou and the furibo, the former being pretty much the oar that Miyamoto Musashi reputedly used to kill Sasaki Kojiro.

Spoiler: Furibo example
    Show

22. - Top - End - #832
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Yes he did, you can train with bokken but you have to have very good control. It's hardwood so not too difficult to hurt somebody pretty badly with them.
    In fact in the Pacific they made weapons solely out of hardwood. Africa too I seem to recall. And I mean other than clubs. Sort of edged weapons. Sword-clubs and such. Just got to those in a book about weapons.

Be easy with a bokken to crush someones windpipe e.g.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Barbarian in the Playground

THe worst bit about shinai IMO isn't the unsafe thrust - you kinda already need to put a lot of trust into your fellow fencers - it's that it doesn't really teach you blade alignment. This is less of a problem for Asian styles of swordplay that have very little work in a bind, but for European ones that are almost universally dependent on it, not so much. I've seen a lot of people have trouble adjusting to actual swords having blade alignment after using wooden sticks or shinai.

All in all, can't really recommend them, not now that we have better and reasonably cheap alternatives in synthetic sparring swords.
    That which does not kill you made a tactical error.

24. - Top - End - #834
    Ogre in the Playground

We used to use shinai in the early days of HEMA (with crosses added), before we had the good nylon and steel feders. They aren't even 'solid' bamboo - but rather bamboo slats tied together in a very clever way so that they kind of bend to absorb impact when you hit something.

Very light (about 1 lb) and very good for sparring compared to say, padded boffer or larp type swords, because they have a realistic presence in the bind (i.e. hard rather than spongy) and they are pretty well balanced too.

The only downside is they are a little shorter than real longswords, very stiff so not safe to thrust with (you have to use a lot of control). And they are a little fragile and can break on shield rims etc., though they hold up pretty well against each other.

Good cheap sparring weapon if you want to learn any kind of hand-and-a-half sword fencing, whether Asian or European.

G
    IIRC, the bending/splintering is an intentional design feature, so that you can swing full force with very little risk of hurting the other guy. Kenjutsu had a long history of unsafe training practices, and a lot of styles permitted very little, if any, free sparring. The shinai was invented for a style that focused heavily on free sparring and was all about preparation for unarmored duels.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

25. - Top - End - #835
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Clistenes View Post
    True, but remember, flamberge blades never got really popular/mainstream, so most soldiers probably thought like you do; they didn't want to spend the extra money in something that wasn't that useful during actual combat... and then there was that guy who liked to be seen carring a weapon that could mess you up badly, not to win fights, but to be more intimidating...

If flamberges were really more effective than simpler blades in actual combat, everybody would have used them, or at least everybody with enough money to pay for it...
    Slightly off-(this)-topic,but wavy-blade keris was pretty popular in SE Asia, so maybe the advantage lies in thrusting, rather than cutting?

I suppose, a wavy blade can create a wider wound during a thrust, and makes the wound more likely to disable the combatant, without having to make a wider blade?
    Last edited by wolflance; 2017-11-16 at 12:18 PM.

26. - Top - End - #836
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wolflance View Post
    Slightly off-(this)-topic,but wavy-blade keris was pretty popular in SE Asia, so maybe the advantage lies in thrusting, rather than cutting?

I suppose, a wavy blade can create a wider wound during a thrust, and makes the wound more likely to disable the combatant, without having to make a wider blade?
    We were musing over the same possibility.

27. - Top - End - #837
    Dwarf in the Playground

Broadly speaking, how effective were medieval/renaissance-era firearms compared to, say, crossbows?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebubba View Post
    And you want D&D to make *sense*? Where's the fun in that?

28. - Top - End - #838
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    In terms of performance, how does a brigandine differ from a solid breastplate? My guesses are that a solid plate might be proportionally stronger in terms of weight, yet may be more expensive and harder to repair. I assume that in their own ways, they are equally labor-intensive to make, yet a solid plate requires more specialized knowledge.
    Asking again. I also saw that new-ish Nova about armor and with how difficult the one breast-plate was to make, I'm wondering why people didn't stick with the many smaller plates of a brigandine.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

29. - Top - End - #839
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude6 View Post
    Broadly speaking, how effective were medieval/renaissance-era firearms compared to, say, crossbows?
    That is an extremely complex question, but in general terms the firearms were quite a bit better after the earliest models. The very earliest handgonnes were lacking in accuracy (as much due to the extremely primitive ergonomics of the weapons and the inadequacies of the touch-lock system as to anything else), but even in that era the potential force of the shot was greater, and there was a not-insignificant morale effect.

30. - Top - End - #840
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude6 View Post
    Even a matchlock arquebus will generally outrange bow/crossbow, more accurate, hit harder, kill or decapacitate faster, and punch through armor better.

They generally reload slightly faster than windlass crossbow, too.

For handgonne, while the accuracy at long range is abyssmal, you can load it with pellets and go shotgun with it.
    Last edited by wolflance; 2017-11-20 at 11:50 PM.