New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Why was dex made so powerful?

Quote Originally Posted by mephnick View Post
    Also idiot DMs allowing Acrobatics to replace Athletics for climbing and other things because they've watched too much anime. Athletics should be the most important skill in the game if you're actually adventuring.
    Spells eat into this more than a little, and there's other skills that are also really important for adventuring. Perception and Survival come to mind.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Spells eat into this more than a little, and there's other skills that are also really important for adventuring. Perception and Survival come to mind.
    Oh sure. But comparing Dex specifically, most of the Dex skills are actually pretty useless in most situations, which is part of why I wonder where this idea that Dex is God came from. Dex is one of my go to dump stats.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh sure. But comparing Dex specifically, most of the Dex skills are actually pretty useless in most situations, which is part of why I wonder where this idea that Dex is God came from. Dex is one of my go to dump stats.
    dex can be used for attack, AC, initiative, more skills, and a more common saving throw.
    Strength can be used for attack, AC (by access to heavier armor), one frequently useful skills, and a much less common saving throw.

Under the default encumbrance rules, strength doesn't really matter much, but it does in variant encumbrance, so in some games strength is more important that way, but otherwise, you get more "for free" if your primary attack stat is Dex, but I don't really think it's _that_ relevant.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Don't forget that Str fighters get magical armor eventually. Assuming best possible scenario, +3 plate and +3 shield along with the protection fighting style gives you a total of 27 AC. This is high level but still

5. - Top - End - #185
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Just a note:

All this talk about longbows requiring strength (I think they do, but have nothing to add to the conversation), nobody thinks that rapiers should use some strength too?

EDIT: also, even though I am not a fan, here is one house rule: you damage dice is limited to 1/3, 1/2, and 2/3 of you Str for off-hand, main hand and two handed weapons. Round up. Using a d8 weapon in one hand would require Str 15; d12 weapons with two hands, Str 16.

Probably too fiddly and punishing.

I'd rather give some bonuses; half Str bonus to finesse weapons, half Dex bonus for Str weapons. You'd use the same numbers for grappling and avoiding a grapple. Well, just brainstorming here.
    Last edited by Eric Diaz; 2017-10-14 at 12:31 PM.
    Methods & Madness - my D&D 5e /OSR /game design blog.
    *5e: easy survival rules. Bringing balance to the Forge (yup!). Fort/Ref/Will.
    *OSR: One page hacks, my answer to retroclones. Would love to take ONE PAGE from YOUR book!
    *3e x 4e x 5e - Can you trip an ooze? Are miniatures required?

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Also idiot DMs allowing Acrobatics to replace Athletics for climbing and other things because they've watched too much anime. Athletics should be the most important skill in the game if you're actually adventuring.
    Climbing doesn't require any check at all unless you're doing something extreme. Nor jumping. Nor swimming Basically, basic adventuring stuff aspect of Athletics is considered automatic.

You still need it if you're planning to Climb (Sheer) Walls like an old-school Thief though.

7. - Top - End - #187

Chimera

Man, wait until you play the Yawning Portal dungeons where if the combined strength of the whole party isn't high enough, you miss out on goodies.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Diaz View Post
    Just a note:

All this talk about longbows requiring strength (I think they do, but have nothing to add to the conversation), nobody thinks that rapiers should use some strength too?

EDIT: also, even though I am not a fan, here is one house rule: you damage dice is limited to 1/3, 1/2, and 2/3 of you Str for off-hand, main hand and two handed weapons. Round up. Using a d8 weapon in one hand would require Str 15; d12 weapons with two hands, Str 16.

Probably too fiddly and punishing.

I'd rather give some bonuses; half Str bonus to finesse weapons, half Dex bonus for Str weapons. You'd use the same numbers for grappling and avoiding a grapple. Well, just brainstorming here.
    Grod's Law: You cannot compensate for bad game mechanics by making them annoying to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    I suspect it's because red and green are much more similar than red and penguin.

9. - Top - End - #189

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Erit View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot compensate for bad game mechanics by making them annoying to use.
    Fair enough!
    Methods & Madness - my D&D 5e /OSR /game design blog.
    *5e: easy survival rules. Bringing balance to the Forge (yup!). Fort/Ref/Will.
    *OSR: One page hacks, my answer to retroclones. Would love to take ONE PAGE from YOUR book!
    *3e x 4e x 5e - Can you trip an ooze? Are miniatures required?