New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1090 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    We may not have seen her land, but we definitely saw her falling off the Mechane, so how would she be back aboard it now? More to the point, where would someone that size hide aboard the ship?
    While the most probable interpretation of the cutaway panel 5 is “at this same time, somewhere in the dwarven lands”, it might also be “not long ago, somewhere in the dwarven lands”.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sooner or later, someone will disabuse the dwarves of the notion that airspace is not important. As airships can be manufactured without high level spellcasters, lots can be made to carry elite troops and strike strategic locations for an invading army. Think of modern day paratroopers or marines except unimpeded ability to move from location to location.
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Centaur View Post
    While the most probable interpretation of the cutaway panel 5 is “at this same time, somewhere in the dwarven lands”, it might also be “not long ago, somewhere in the dwarven lands”.
    OK, so what does a cutaway panel referring to two Flumphs have to do with the frost giantess they threw overboard back when they were in the mountains?

4. - Top - End - #94
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

OK, so what does a cutaway panel referring to two Flumphs have to do with the frost giantess they threw overboard back when they were in the mountains?
    I Think he's hoping that the Flumphs will break the Furkini Menace's fall.

5. - Top - End - #95

Let's point out here that the Flumphs are a "What If?" spot from Roy, not a real spot check.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Colossus in the Playground

Possibly... However I wouldn't rule out the possibility that it's like here - a cutaway to the flumphs themselves:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0444.html
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

7. - Top - End - #97
    Bugbear in the Playground

Because their purpose is to stop falls.

We now know they were there for the giantress. Lead Female saved.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

We have seen a fall but no landing. We now see flumphs but no one landing on them. Two untied, mutually complementary shoelaces.

I’m not “hoping” for it. Just pointing out a possibility.

9. - Top - End - #99

So the Dwarves leave the Mechane alone and allow the crew safe passage over their lands, and Bandana's response is to insult the entire race. Real classy. She should learn to be more tolerant to people different than her.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    So the Dwarves leave the Mechane alone and allow the crew safe passage over their lands, and Bandana's response is to insult the entire race
    They allow powerful military vehicles to fly over their lands without concern (not safe passage, they just don't care about what happen there). It's not nice to say they're weird, true, but the Dwarves aren't doing them a favor.
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2017-08-11 at 10:03 AM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    So the Dwarves leave the Mechane alone and allow the crew safe passage over their lands, and Bandana's response is to insult the entire race. Real classy. She should learn to be more tolerant to people different than her.
    Nope, there is no evidence the dwarves seen the Mechane (thus they cannot "leave it alone"). One of them almost bothers the scary looking but good-aligned Flumphs, though.

I wonder if the Flumphs are in the wrong time/place again, but so far, it looks like they avoided the falling giantess and the sword.

12. - Top - End - #102

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ave View Post
    Nope, there is no evidence the dwarves seen the Mechane (thus they cannot "leave it alone"). One of them almost bothers the scary looking but good-aligned Flumphs, though.

I wonder if the Flumphs are in the wrong time/place again, but so far, it looks like they avoided the falling giantess and the sword.
    Sword is not a problem anymore... Roy has it. Unless you think we'll see cutaway to a Sword hole in a dead Flumph and the dead make giant atop it.

Pretty sure the Flumphs in this strip aren't the present day but a reference event to how Dwarves act
    Last edited by Shoelessgdowar; 2017-08-11 at 10:41 AM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Going back to the humor and comedy writing course that I took (about 40) years ago, the Flumphs are a running gag.

Well, they don't run so much as float, so they're a floating gag. (Doubly so if you don't like to eat Calimari)
    Flumphs, the Floating Gag. Yeah, I like that. And like one of the above posters mentioned, I hope one of them broke the Furkin Menace's fall. I'd like to see her in the strip again.

By the way, the following strip to 444 is a lovely example of combining two kinds of comedy for good effect. The parody of the song has a bunch of mini jokes in it, but the clincher is Belkar's three panels at the bottom. I laughed again at that, even though I've read it a few times before. Timing, and change of direction. Good comedy.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2017-08-11 at 10:59 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Furkini Menace doesn't need Flumphs to break her fall. As she said, what kind of warrior can't survive a fall like this?

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Wait, Flumphs are Good?
    Also, this is what makes the last panel of OOTS #55 (and also panel 10 of OOTS #75) funny
    Literary Henchman of the Tarquin Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by schmunzel View Post
    I respect Tarquin for his clear cut agenda

There would be no fooling around with foot rubbing while he was round

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Furkini Menace doesn't need Flumphs to break her fall. As she said, what kind of warrior can't survive a fall like this?
    Point taken.
    She's a lady. She's a warrior. She's got mostly blue art. She's like another favorite of mine, so to our Furkini Menace, I say: Lien in, sister.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

17. - Top - End - #107

Quote Originally Posted by Ave View Post
    Nope, there is no evidence the dwarves seen the Mechane (thus they cannot "leave it alone").
    To quote Bandana "As long as the Mechane don't touch the ground, they won't bother us none"
    Pretty self-explanatory.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Point taken.
    She's a lady. She's a warrior. She's got mostly blue art. She's like another favorite of mine, so to our Furkini Menace, I say: Lien in, sister.
    Until I got to the Lien in part, I actually guessed you were talking about Miko. They both are very dedicated, honour-bound, warrior women, serving their respective gods, and (unlike Lien) trying to kill the Order of the Stick :)
    Last edited by Bob_McSurly; 2017-08-11 at 11:23 AM. Reason: changed "assumed" to "guessed"
    Literary Henchman of the Tarquin Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by schmunzel View Post
    I respect Tarquin for his clear cut agenda

There would be no fooling around with foot rubbing while he was round

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The opening art was beautiful, and it was nice to see the Flumphs in the new style. Also, this strip was strangely exactly how'd I'd expect Dwarves to set their boundaries.

Peelee’s Lotsey

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Point taken.
    Oh Twelve Gods, that pun was genius.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Well, a lighthearted transition might be just what the doctor ordered here. Hopefully, the order has no trouble rappelling down.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Well, a lighthearted transition might be just what the doctor ordered here. Hopefully, the order has no trouble rappelling down.
    Elan took Dashing Swordsman and has been shown on-panel to expertly swing down. Haley is a rogue with 20+ Dexterity (and can zap her flying wand). V can fly. Belkar has Feather Fall.

... Roy.
    Last edited by Chei; 2017-08-11 at 06:42 PM.
    Even the wind will know agony.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chei View Post
    Elan took Dashing Swordsman and has been shown on-panel to expertly swing down. Haley is a rogue with 20+ Dexterity (and can zap her flying wand). V can fly. Belkar has Feather Fall.

... Roy.
    If only there was some sort of spellcasting class that could share buffs with the party to allow them things like flight or feather fall.

Or perhaps a rope.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Or if there was a class known for being meaty. Having lots of HP. Tanking damage. Wearing heavy armor. A fighting man.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    If only there was some sort of spellcasting class that could share buffs with the party to allow them things like flight or feather fall.

Or perhaps a rope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Svata View Post
    Or if there was a class known for being meaty. Having lots of HP. Tanking damage. Wearing heavy armor. A fighting man.
    You silly folks with your wild hypotheticals. Take it to the mechanics threads.
    Even the wind will know agony.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Basement Cat View Post
    The Flumphs are back! Happy days are here again! I'm doing an archive dive now and I've missed the Flumphs so much lately.

My morale just took a +2 increase.

On a separate note: They've finally reached the Dwarf lands. It's time to get serious.
    It's good to know that you now have an increased chance of not deserting the forum.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    It's just interesting that as much as the Linear Guild's setup is said to have Elan-Nale and Haley-Sabine as Good/Evil counterparts, Elan and Sabine are way more similar as characters -except opposite on the Good/Evil axis- than their respective "traditional" opponents.

Hell, even their fighting styles is kinda similar: close melee mobile combatants despite being relatively fragile using illusion/shapeshifting as misdirection and Negative/Posistive Energy, and who are dangerous not because of the attacks themselves but due to the CHA-based signature power they add to it.
    I think you are right. The the evil opposite gag never really worked when comparing the Order and the the Linear Guild because the apparent pairings by appearance had so little to sustain them.

However, yes, the Sidekick pairing makes some real sense, as does the Leader pairing (Roy and Nale) -- two people who rather too clever and stubborn for their own good and are trying to get over daddy issues.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Perhaps you should go review how Roy, Belkar and clerical company got from aboard the Mechanae to the Godsmoot.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_McSurly View Post
    Until I got to the Lien in part, I actually guessed you were talking about Miko. They both are very dedicated, honour-bound, warrior women, serving their respective gods, and (unlike Lien) trying to kill the Order of the Stick :)
    As I was finishing that post, I realized that Miko was also a lady, a warrior, mostly blue, etc. But I was unable to get a pun out of that to replace the one I wanted to use, so I guess "humor fail" is me. I'll maybe get inspired later ...

30. - Top - End - #120
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Lemme just add my two dwarven cents here. Flumps aint our enemies and neither is the airship unless it starts attacking, as soon as a single arrow touches the ground its an act of aggression and then we'll take action.
    However if you are already an enemy of the Dwarfs, like a tree, you do not need to be in our territory for us to want to attack you so the sky will not be your salvation. Floating on by simply does not cause you to go from Neutral/Unknown to Enemy.