New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Let's Watch Kamen Rider!!!!!

Alright, so, Gonna Try my hand at this.

I recently got access to Kamen Rider via a Fan Sub. It's not generally available any other way were I live, so this is the best I can do. I'll probably order some Merch or something of Amazon if I like it after all to support it. Doing the best I can on that front.

Anyway,

So, here's how I'm gonna play this.

1: I'm going to at least start from the very beginning. Rider 1. Episode 1. Will see how this goes.

2: I already know at some point I'm going to skip over parts or entire series. I don't know all of the one's I'll be skipping yet. Though I've got a hunch that Kamen Rider Gaim, Ghost, Most of the first chunk of the Heisei Era will be on the list.

3: I'm going to be going at my own pace here. I'm not in a Rush. I'll update when it's convenient. I'll watch when it's convenient. I have a life and it's often annoyingly busy, and I'm doing this for my own Amusement.

4: More Recent Shows, particularly if they are not really stressing that they are not to be taken Deadly Seriously all the time, are going to be held to a higher standard in terms of little things like making sense. I have seen some Sentai, so I know not to set the standard too too high, but it will exist at least somewhat.

5: Yes, it might die off. Sorry in advance.

6: I'm not gonna be recapping everything down to the last detail. This is going to be more my thoughts and impressions on what I just watched post episode.

So, that in mind.

Spoiler: Episode 1: The Bizzare Spider Man.
    Show
    *Looks at title. Stops. Checks Air Dates.*

Huh. Ok, so, not THAT spider man I guess.

I think I kind of like the opening. The instrumental parts are fun, the singer isn't bad (not something I'd fork over major cash for a front row concert seat or anything, but not bad.) even if the Lyrics aren't exactly ground breaking. I bet they weren't at the time either. Still though, it does put you in kind of an adventure mood, so, mission accomplished.

I assumed those little clips near the end of the intro are from the up coming episode I am about to watch. Why are they here? Wouldn't it be better to just go to the title screen after the intro and save it for the episode and not spoil like, your reveal and plot points?

Alright, so, episode proper. Lot's and lot's of exposition. It feels like were in a rush to set up everything all at once, to the point of cutting to the narrator randomly, and then get in 2 fight scenes. (Aside: That Narrator reminds me of the one in One Piece. Wonder if that's what Oda was thinking of at the time? Wouldn't be the only Toku reference/nod/homage/borrowed idea in that show. And no, that's not a dig at it either, chill.)

There, campy but there defiantly fun. Darker than I expected though, much higher body count.

Wonder if the girl thinking he's a murderer is just going to stay part of the status quo, or if there going to fix that in an ep, or if were getting actual character/story arcs?

All that aside, I would ask what Cyborgs and Terrorists have to do with making you a Spider or Grass Hopper or as the preview of next episode promises, a Bat Man (Once is Happen Stance. Twice is Coincidence. Three times will be someone was reading American Comics over there alright and making nods/grabbing names at random.). I'm only not asking because while I don't see the connection, I've a feeling it's best not bothered with. Genera convention, move along.

Alright, so, see the play ground Next Episode!
    "I Burn!"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Watch Kamen Rider!!!!!

Spoiler: Episode 2: The Terrifying Bat Man!
    Show
    Ok, so, the model is kind of a period horror movie idiot, but alright, I'll go with it.

The set up and the suit is actually legit unnerving. I'd, probably not have reacted well as a kid at the time if that was my first exposure.

Ok, the Prof's daughter is over the idea that Hongo killed her father, that's good anyway. Development?

And, yeah, the fight scenes. There good fights but JEEZ!! Throwing them off the building and the blood splatter?!!! Wasn't this meant to be a kid show?!
    "I Burn!"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Going to keep an eye on this, although I'm more of a Heisei Era fan, so I can't do a massive amount of commenting until we get there.

As I remember a lot of the original KR hasn't been fansubbed, which is annoying for those of use who can't speak Japanese and have no intention of learning just to watch shows. Still, from what I've seen it's really good.

Also, it isn't a kid's show, yet. It gets a lot light in a few episodes, and then moves between 'bright' and 'dark'. As in it gets to 'fight or the dragon will eat you', and has the main character nearly eaten by the dragon at one point.

Also, I recommend not skipping Kuuga, Agito, or Ryuki, even though they're early Heisei. Kuuga is a really good revival that continues the Showa trend, Agito is where the show begins seriously playing with secondary riders (I mean much more than the original series or V3 do), and Ryuki is basically the template for a multi-rider series. Gaim is also very good, although to me Ryuki has the much stronger ending. While I love Faiz and Blade you can probably skip them without missing anything special. Ryuki is also the first series to use a transformation item that isn't part of the user, which is the standard afterwards (although most riders really should carry bags because those belts don't fit in a pocket).

I probably won't comment that much until you hit Heisei, but I need to go and see how far the subbing for the original series has come along.

Also, I believe it's just a coincidence, in that Shocker Beasts tend to be 'animal-man' or 'animal-woman', I know there's a Scorpian-man down the line.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Hehe, I was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to even read this thread. Well, guess I'll REALLY be making a go of this then. I was actually staring to think no one cared so there for, no reason to bother with the lets watch, instead, just cut to the watching. Maybe try again when I got to like, Amazon or Black RX or whatever Heisei series get's covered first (See below on that.).

The site I'm using has, as mentioned, a fan sub, and it's got 98 episodes for this series. It, seems to have an awful lot of other Rider Series as well. I've no idea if this is a whole series or not for it though.

The not being a kid show explains some of the, for the time, both rather horrifying and graphic deaths. Yes, I know, this is nothing compared to modern television, but for 71, yikes. I, legit don't think I could have handled this as a child back then.

I've actually seen the next ep at this stage, so, with that little Segway,

Spoiler: Episode 3: Monster, Scorpion Man.
    Show
    I, I, ... wow. That's a freaking BLEAK Opening! This is kinda starting to remind me of Dressrosa over on One Piece in that I feel like "Ok, there irredeemably evil, we get it already!". I, I mean, come on, that's not even a practical weapon! That's one of those things you make just for intimidation effect and because you want to prove that it can technically be done.

I am starting to wonder if there all Cyborgs why do they have the animal mofit anyway? And why does Shocker Army's leader have the Nazi Symbolism thing going on?

Come to think of it they've made the point a couple of times now that Hongo's always super strong now, why does he need to transform to fight in the first place if that's the case?

Anyway, I can't decide if I like the camera angle jumps they keep doing in the fights. On the one hand, it IS sorta different, at least from were I'm sitting, but on the other, it feels, I dunno, it feels a lot like shakey cam, and I don't much care for shaky cam in most instances.

Ok, so, they got to Hongo's child hood friend. And Hongo is forced to kill him at the end of the fight. And the guy they tried to save STILL get's murdered horribly.

Yeah, I'm, glad this was not initially aimed at being a kids show, cause this seems like it would have caused a LOT of child hood trauma if it had been.

Aside from all that, I generally thought Riders were suppose to be these hot blooded hero's, and well, Hongo seems rather restrained actually.

And about skipping a bunch of the early Heisei Riders,

Ok, follow my logic. I'm known for having a finite amount of tolerance for darkness in a story. Rider 1 isn't pushing it persay so far, but its definitely more then I had anticipated. I'd always been told that Black RX, the last of the Showa Riders, was also the Darkest of the Showa Riders by a noticeable margin. Given that that's from 89, when the tech was more sophisticated, the franchise would have grown and grown likely more sophisticated, and the budget, I'm certain, would be bigger. If darkest of all the Showa's is including THIS stuff, and Black RX is even darker then this, which is what I'm currently understanding, it's going to be quite dark indeed.

And I've been given to Understand that a LOT of the early Heisei Riders are deliberately darker and edgier then ANY of the showa era riders ever were, on purpose.

If that's the case, I'm thinking it's probably better if I just skip those. Hell, It's already been brought to my attention that Gaim is basically Madoka Magica, but aimed at Boys, and with a less good ending, and I don't need that. And that Ryuki is Madoka before there was a Madoka, and that it has an even DARKER ending then Gaim OR Madoka. Which I really don't need to subject myself too.

If you want to know were I get this from, I've poked around the fandom for a little bit now, sort of debating how interested I'd be in actually trying to start getting into this franchise. My decision is I think I'd like some series, but not others. Most of the first 10 Heisei, I'd be legit shocked if by the time I'd watched the whole thing I could say on the whole, I enjoyed myself. A pity I know cause Ryuki and Kabuto are said to have excellent fight scenes and Gaim has that and some wonderfully intricate and ridiculous costuming, and hell, a first half that I'd likely have enjoyed before the mid series point hits you with the Madoka style WHAM episode.

I think I'll like Den O from some snippets and I've seen or heard about it. I'm sort of looking forward to that one actually.

I think Kiva's got potential to either be a wonderful little Gothic Romp ala Hellsing/Castlevania/Vampire Hunter D. (Dark stuff I can usually tolerate for the most part.), or an overly dark (for me anyway.) outing that I'll drop part way in and move on to the next one. So I'll be checking that one out. Likely before Den O as I understand Den O is the self parody season, were as Kiva is in line with what's BEING parodied, particularly if it works.

I'm planning to Skip Gaim for the reasons discussed above, Decade and Ghost cause the consensus with the fandom is that these are probably the two most badly produced Heisei shows, and I'm not digging there hooks either.

I will likely make it a point to watch W, as, while I don't think I really care for the Gestalt people thing, I DO kind of like the detective idea.

I will be watching Wizard, Drive, Forza and OOO. I'm particularly looking forward to the last 3, as bits I've seen and heard make them sound like I'll probably make them my favorites of the lot.

It seems that Ex-Aid went the same route as Gaim, so, thinking I'll give that one a pass.

I don't think I need to explain why I'm Skipping Amazon's if darker and edgier is something of a turn off for me more often then not.

Part of why this works is the camp value of the 71 budget production values and writing. It makes you take it just a bit less seriously I'm finding. Which in this case is good otherwise I think this would be a lot more of a slog. Beyond that, it also makes me cut it a bit more slack in the writing department, that age. It why, for example, I'm not complaining about the obvious designated love interest/eye candy getting kidnapped and needing to be rescued. Don't worry, by the time were in the Heisei era I expect that's going to be a point I'll find annoying.
    "I Burn!"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    And I've been given to Understand that a LOT of the early Heisei Riders are deliberately darker and edgier then ANY of the showa era riders ever were, on purpose.
    It's weird, I personally don't consider Kuuga dark, although some people do, but it can have dark moments. Agito is much brighter, although it's best to watch after Kuuga (it's not an actual sequel, more an AU sequel). Then it seems to get into a dark stint, Ryuki and Faiz are rather bleak while Blade is where it starts to move upwards, then Den-O to W is an upwards movement.

If that's the case, I'm thinking it's probably better if I just skip those. Hell, It's already been brought to my attention that Gaim is basically Madoka Magica, but aimed at Boys, and with a less good ending, and I don't need that. And that Ryuki is Madoka before there was a Madoka, and that it has an even DARKER ending then Gaim OR Madoka. Which I really don't need to subject myself too.
    Yeah, Gaim is really good until the ending, but does get to Madoka dark. Ryuki's actually darker than Madoka (although I won't say why I consider it the darkest KR), but it's ending is weirdly bittersweet in some ways. But I adore Ryuki because it manages to be dark.

If you want to know were I get this from, I've poked around the fandom for a little bit now, sort of debating how interested I'd be in actually trying to start getting into this franchise. My decision is I think I'd like some series, but not others. Most of the first 10 Heisei, I'd be legit shocked if by the time I'd watched the whole thing I could say on the whole, I enjoyed myself. A pity I know cause Ryuki and Kabuto are said to have excellent fight scenes and Gaim has that and some wonderfully intricate and ridiculous costuming, and hell, a first half that I'd likely have enjoyed before the mid series point hits you with the Madoka style WHAM episode.
    Really, Kabuto and Kiva aren't that much darker than Neo-Heisei, and Den-O is happy, it's really about the first five and I think Hibiki (which I haven't finished) that you have to watch out for.

I'm planning to Skip Gaim for the reasons discussed above, Decade and Ghost cause the consensus with the fandom is that these are probably the two most badly produced Heisei shows, and I'm not digging there hooks either.
    I really didn't like ghost. It got a lot better after the first arc, then almost immediately took a dive in quality. I understand it was a kid's show, but it had nothing like Drive's final 3-4 episodes.

[QUOTE]I will likely make it a point to watch W, as, while I don't think I really care for the Gestalt people thing, I DO kind of like the detective idea.[QUOTE]

Yeah, the Gestalt thing is weird, but W is one of my favourites (which is weird as I tend to like the dark ones).

It seems that Ex-Aid went the same route as Gaim, so, thinking I'll give that one a pass.
    Not quite, Ex-Aid sort of has one foot in serious dark rider and one foot in silly light rider. It gets how stupid it's premise is (doctors fighting video game characters), and yet manages to craft a fun and dark series out of it. Although not as dark as Gaim, it's like a well done Wizard in some ways.

Part of why this works is the camp value of the 71 budget production values and writing. It makes you take it just a bit less seriously I'm finding. Which in this case is good otherwise I think this would be a lot more of a slog. Beyond that, it also makes me cut it a bit more slack in the writing department, that age. It why, for example, I'm not complaining about the obvious designated love interest/eye candy getting kidnapped and needing to be rescued. Don't worry, by the time were in the Heisei era I expect that's going to be a point I'll find annoying.
    I mean, for me the camp never stops even when they get good effects. This is a series where you yell transform to transform and occasionally remember you're supposed to have a bike.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    It's weird, I personally don't consider Kuuga dark, although some people do, but it can have dark moments. Agito is much brighter, although it's best to watch after Kuuga (it's not an actual sequel, more an AU sequel). Then it seems to get into a dark stint, Ryuki and Faiz are rather bleak while Blade is where it starts to move upwards, then Den-O to W is an upwards movement.
    Huh. Way I've been hearing it, Kuuga goes hard for the Darker and Edgier angle, and that means Darker and Edgier then Black RX, which was Darker then what I've been watching. Add more sophistication and production values to the darkness, and yeah, disinclines me to mess with it. Your, literally the only one who disagrees with that assessment that I've heard from/spoken too so far.

Yeah, Gaim is really good until the ending, but does get to Madoka dark. Ryuki's actually darker than Madoka (although I won't say why I consider it the darkest KR), but it's ending is weirdly bittersweet in some ways. But I adore Ryuki because it manages to be dark.
    About what I've heard. And that's fine, but If I wanted something that brutally dark in a Toku format, I'd give Garo a spin. Or watch one of the really dark social commentary Godzilla movies.

Really, Kabuto and Kiva aren't that much darker than Neo-Heisei, and Den-O is happy, it's really about the first five and I think Hibiki (which I haven't finished) that you have to watch out for.
    Well, being dark is only part of what I'm told Kabuto's problem is. It's not just that it's dark, it's that it's also got an entire cast of generally unlikeable and poorly acted characters, and it's got a none-too-well written script and plot. Basically, good suits/effects/stunt work and excellent fight choreography, but nothing else at all going for it.

Kiva, like I said, I might actually be able to more or less Gel with the set up, so I'm certainly planning to give it a spin. I might even make it my first outing in the Heisei Era.

[QUOTE=Anonymouswizard;22306254]I really didn't like ghost. It got a lot better after the first arc, then almost immediately took a dive in quality. I understand it was a kid's show, but it had nothing like Drive's final 3-4 episodes.
    [QUOTE]

Like I said, my understanding was that Ghost just all around flopped. So, I fully mean to skip it.

Yeah, the Gestalt thing is weird, but W is one of my favourites (which is weird as I tend to like the dark ones).
    Duly noted. I'll be interested to see were it goes. It might end up being installment number 3 for me when I get to Heisei Riders. I'm more or less trying to do these as best I can guess in order of what am I going to enjoy the most, or at least, what do I think I'm most likely to enjoy the most. I wanna end on the highest note I can. (Which is why OOO or Forza are gonna be the last one of the lot, unless build or a future Rider that goes/is going when I get to the end point ends up looking sufficiently appealing for whatever reason.)

Not quite, Ex-Aid sort of has one foot in serious dark rider and one foot in silly light rider. It gets how stupid it's premise is (doctors fighting video game characters), and yet manages to craft a fun and dark series out of it. Although not as dark as Gaim, it's like a well done Wizard in some ways.
    Ok, so, on a scale of Batman: The Animated Series/Gargoyles as 1, and Attack on Titan/Kamen Rider Ryuki being a 10, how dark are we talking here with Ex-Aid when it goes dark?

I mean, for me the camp never stops even when they get good effects. This is a series where you yell transform to transform and occasionally remember you're supposed to have a bike.
    Oh, don't get me wrong, with out the gore and routine horrible deaths, including of good guys/innocent civilians, I'd say this is GLORIOUSLY campy and I'd probably be enjoying it all the more.

I get that some of the idea is Campy, but the mere fact that Ryuki and Gaim and Amazons (the newer one that's like a reboot/sequal to Kamen Rider Amazon and has like, 0 Humor and tones of gore and hyper violence and character death.) and Garo's Franchise exist proves you can do the idea and still be darker then I care for though. And, after a certain point, for me, the darkness does actually out weigh the camp.

Some side notes about episode three I meant to bring up but didn't (Tired brain was tired.)

Spoiler: Episode 3 extras.
    Show
    So, Shocker are Nazi's. ... ... ... ok then. Sure. Why not. There horrible enough. It was the 70's. I can roll with that.

The testing sequence is actually kind of interesting, and the fact that even though he's a cyborg he can work out and train and get stronger is kind of interesting in and of itself as an idea.

I'm also reminded that they stated something about him having like a 600 IQ in the first episode. A detail I probably should have remembered at the time but it went by so fast it didn't click at first.

Anyway, On with the show!

Spoiler: Episode 5! The Man Eating Sarracenian
    Show
    Um. Wow. That, that first five minutes. Jeez. This would have been nightmare fuel for me as a kid in 71. Hell this might have been nightmare fuel for me as a kid when I was actually a kid!

That aside, the child acting is terrible. I'm sorry but it is. It, does take away from the weight of it, though the mains and the actress playing the older sister do a good enough job collectively to help sure it up.

And, wow, I'm glad I know this guys a Nazi Terrorist, cause as awful as his fate after being captured was, I needed that to NOT feel horrible actually.

Apart from that, we are decidedly developing some themes at this point. First, always show spoilers of your own show at the beginning of each episode! (Seriously, WHY ARE THEY STILL DOING THAT?!) Secondly and more seriously, that the riders power is kind of a curse. (A rider who's power is a curse and transforms to fight evil. I've heard that one somewhere else. ... ... ... i'm watching you show.) And Thirdly, that that curse is two fold. Isolation, and being a danger to the people you care about both in your enemy's attacking them to get you, and in not being able to control your own power and harming them. That, was actually portrayed surprisingly well here all things considered. I'm starting to at least get how this franchise stuck around this long.

And here's a special, an extra episode!

Spoiler: Episode 5! The Preying Mantis Man Monster!
    Show
    Minor change to the intro, they removed the spoiler clips! Yay!

They also added a quick thing to catch you up on the thrust of the series, and showed the baddies form eps, 2, 3, and 4, and one I've not seen yet mixed in there randomly.

Cold opening. Good, though still with a horror movie vibe too it. Also, that lady is not bright, don't give info like that out before you even know who your talking too? Why are they even calling you if there already there come to think of it!

The, child hood friend thing, I think, works better here then episode 3. Ep 3 it came on too fast, here it breaths and builds. Wonder if they got feed back one ep 3 and learned form it?

And the show is defiantly starting to show a bit more camp now. Good. =)
    "I Burn!"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

It depends on how you define "dark" really.

Kuuga's most famous "thing" is how the monsters callously kill hundreds of random people for their "game" in each episodes. Yes, the monsters explicitly mentioned to kill random civilians, and they kill them by the hundreds. But I consider the (non transformed) protagonist to be the exemplar of a classic "Kamen Rider." Basically, a traveller who journey the land without knowing where's going, his goal is wanting to learn 2000 different skills, and he fight to protect everyone's smile. No dark rivalry or secret, no gritty backstory.

Another thing is that the police are not useless. They try to protect the civilians, they fight the monsters, and they're killed by the dozens by the monsters. But they investigate, they research, they try to make equipments to deal with the monsters, and later they coordinate with Kuuga. I still think it's sad that Ichijo, the police detective that worked with Kuuga, never become a Kamen Rider, but G3 in Agito is a direct result of their research, a powered armor based on Kuuga.

On Black and Black RX, I grew up with them, and I find it weird that Black RX especially have the reputation as the darkest. Because, in my memory, it's quite more over the top than Black (though over the top and dark are not really against each others I guess).
    Last edited by Fri; 2017-08-22 at 01:18 AM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    It depends on how you define "dark" really.

Kuuga's most famous "thing" is how the monsters callously kill hundreds of random people for their "game" in each episodes. Yes, the monsters explicitly mentioned to kill random civilians, and they kill them by the hundreds. But I consider the (non transformed) protagonist to be the exemplar of a classic "Kamen Rider." Basically, a traveller who journey the land without knowing where's going, his goal is wanting to learn 2000 different skills, and he fight to protect everyone's smile. No dark rivalry or secret, no gritty backstory.

Another thing is that the police are not useless. They try to protect the civilians, they fight the monsters, and they're killed by the dozens by the monsters. But they investigate, they research, they try to make equipments to deal with the monsters, and later they coordinate with Kuuga. I still think it's sad that Ichijo, the police detective that worked with Kuuga, never become a Kamen Rider, but G3 in Agito is a direct result of their research, a powered armor based on Kuuga.
    Yeah, I never considered Kuuga dark because the main character is a classic Kamen Rider and always seems to be happy, while the police actually make enough strides that there's always hope that they'll be able to deal with it themselves. It gets to the point where the police are cooperating with Kuuga because he's the one able to kill the monsters, but they're able to find the monsters. Sure, loads of people die, but it never feels hopeless.

Spoiler
    Show
    Plus by the end of the series it's shown that yes, the police can develop equipment that'll kill the monsters, and Ichijo kills one. Essentially, bar the final villain, it had got to the point that the police would be capable of taking out the Grongi.

Plus then in Agito you have G-3, who begins having trouble keeping up and his weapon not really hurting monsters, and then gets an upgrade part way through that's suited to the enemy. G-3's main problem is that it was designed to combat what humanity had experienced, and so while it COULD kill the new enemy it wasn't powerful enough.

Plus G-3 is cool for probably being the most realistic Kamen Rider. It's a man in a suit, which explicitly can change it's size slightly to fit better, that has to actually be put on, and carries it's weapons in it's motorcycle (remember when Riders had those?). Then there's a support team that monitors the battlefield to help the user fight more effectively. It's actually a really cool setup, even if there's no transformation sequence.

I personally consider Ryuki darker because there's nowhere near as much 'this will all turn out alright' and the villain's motivation is understandable. I get exactly what Ryuki's villain is trying to do, I get why, and it makes sense. It even gets to the point where it suggests 'no, nothing will actually make this turn out for the best'.

Kuuga still has an amazing final battle though.

Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, been forever. Well, an IRL hurricane will do that to life.

Spoiler: Episode 6: Shinigami Chameleon!
    Show
    Ok, I gotta say, I like the execution here all around. The suits neat enough for the time and the suit actor does a nice job presenting him. The plots sort of interesting in it's basic idea. Done before elsewhere and since then but still fun.

I have the oddest sensation that I've seen this bad guy in a clip, but I didn't see the clip in this episode. Then again, he makes it out of the end of the ep alive, so, let's see were this goes.

Spoiler: Episode 7: Duel With Grim Reaper Chameleon! World Fair Impression!
    Show
    THERE'S THE BIT! HILTER'S TREASURE! KAMEN RIDER!!!! XD!

Ok, That was far more glorious and satisfying then it had any right to be. Straight up.

Spoiler: Episode 8: Strangeness! Bee Woman!
    Show
    ... ... ...

i can't decide what amuses me more,

the fact that of COURSE Hongo is just randomly taking a nap in the park were Shocker pulls there latest stunt,

or the fact that I think this will one day prove to be an accurate representation of what happens to people wearing Google Glass's when Google becomes a self aware entity.

More seriously, um, ok, I though at this stage the show was suppose to be targeted at adults. Why do we keep having the main character stop to interact with kids and help them? This is like the 4th one now and were only 8 eps in.

I know I shouldn't nitpick this, maybe it's a goof up with the sub titles, but, dogs are mammals dude. Really hope that was just the subtitles saying Mammals instead of something else that would have made more sense.

That aside, I give it points for the detective work stuff. That legit made the character feel smart.

Though I do wonder why the fanatically loyal minion was so easily bossed into betraying them. And, well, this is like the second opponent in a row now were he's had to grab a bad guy sword because there all using them. Guess it explains why so many Riders in Heisei Era had a sword just come with the kit as it were.
    "I Burn!"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Episode 9: The Dreadful Cobra Man!
    Show
    Ok, good atmosphere for the first couple of minutes.

HOW THE HELL DID THE DOG ACTUALLY DRIVE YOU OFF?!!!! your suppose to be this crazy strong bullet proof cyborg, but you can't beat one freaking dog?!

Come to that how the hell is the dog dead?! They showed it alive and unharmed after it ran you off!

Other then that and the annoying child acting (hello kid were helping out number five. I swear if I was organized enough I'd start a counter. Seriously, is this suppose to be a kids show yet or not?!), I liked it, the fights are pretty camp but there trying, and there's energy too it and I like that.
    "I Burn!"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

And more more for now.

Spoiler: Episode 10: The Revived Cobra Man!
    Show
    Ok, so, he failed, and failure is not tolerated, but were bringing him back? Why?

And, is, is that the same kid from last ep or is this some new kid? And if it is how the heck does this group of young to middle age single adults know THIS many children?!!

Also, who the heck is the lady doing the monologging?

Huh. I wonder if this was sort of the photo-form of the trope I know kicks in later on in the franchise. Were you have a badass lady rider who's really interesting every season, and she ALWAYS dies before the finally.

Ok, so, Hongo, why not just say "Hey, I saw those guys a little earlier go buy in some cars. They were headed in this direction, and they may have moved to moving on foot to be sneaker. Those guys who freaking maimed you. I think there getting ready to pull something!". Lead with that next time.

Otherwise, fun ep.
    "I Burn!"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

The spirits are always with you!!!
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Was, was that a line in one of those episodes and I am just blanking on it? I thought that was a Bleach quote?.
    "I Burn!"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Was, was that a line in one of those episodes and I am just blanking on it? I thought that was a Bleach quote?.
    The bleach quote of Don Kanonji comes from the manga and the tv episodes that are "canon" based off the manga.

But

In the filler tv episodes of bleach they had Kisuke Urahara create a Kamien Rider knock off called Karakura-Raizers to defend the city when Ichigo is away (soul society and several other arcs). Don Kanonji is Karakura-Raizer Spirit. Other members were Kon in Ichigo's body, Ichigo's classmates, and for one episode Ichigo's sisters.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

This is all I have to say about Kamen Rider.

God bless this stupid great series.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Huh. Didn't know you were actually a fan Zodi. =)
    "I Burn!"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

Huh. Didn't know you were actually a fan Zodi. =)
    I love Sentai, I just never have time to watch it.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Man, I need to get back to the original series. I just don't have time right now, need to find a job.

Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I love Sentai, I just never have time to watch it.
    Ah, but this is Not Sentai. No, no I mean it, I have set to see a Sentai series with THIS many horrible on screen deaths in it so prominently displayed.

Also this came out about 4 years before the original Himitsu Sentai GoRanger (Secret Squadron Go Ranger.).

Annonymouswizard:

For whatever it's worth, the site I'd been using seems to have giving e some form of Malware, so until I can get THAT sorted out, this project is on hold.
    "I Burn!"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, not perfect, but we are getting back into business here!

Spoiler: Episode 11: The Blood Sucking Gerba Condor!
    Show
    Ok, so, Chimera Vampire theme?

Huh, that was horrible. And again with the kid?! I thought this wasn't suppose to be a kid friendly franchise yet!?

Wait, there, gonna attack them at his friends wedding instead?

No, no, smart bad guy doesn't want to draw a crowd, which, is logical actually.

What is not logical is that he catches up to them right after, and while there being attacked, but, ok, Genera convention I guess. But why the kid then? Also, did they have the guy playing pipe organ in the church controlling the monster or something? I get it was a signal the first time but what about the second go around?

Ok, so, friend fights off mooks, Rider hits new bad guy twice with finisher, trades crotch attacks with him, and in an unintentionally hilarious scene, get's put right into a dirt embankment up to his waist.

Oh, ok, so the kid was just there to be cryptic.

This is a good plan?

Were the heck have you been Hongo?

Leaving the prof behind, real good.
    "I Burn!"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Episode 12: The Murderous Yamogeras!!
    Show
    Lab. Weapons test. Smoking in the lab and thinking about what to do wtih the weapon they just made.

You know, scientist dude, I get why this was the way it was at the time this was made, but, if you can make the damn thing do that, surely, SURELY, there is some manner of practical medical application? Targeted destruction of a cancer tumor maybe, or use by paramedics at emergency site (After an earth quake or major car accident let's say.) to rapidly cauterize a wound, saving a person whom would otherwise bleed out? Just off the top of my head? No? Still to worried about bad guys? Couldn't you just give it to good guys if that happens to make the advantage moot?

I know, I know, culturally it wouldn't fly, particularly at the time of the show being made, but still.

Oh, and the assistant did good for the bad guys so now he's a Geckocyborge. Why do all the cyborgs need to be paired off with none human creatures again anyway?

Ok, I thought the boxing guy was gonna be Hongo and his teacher dude, and that this was gonna be them working that angle of "If you keep working at your physical ability's you can keep developing them even further." thing. That said, yup, more grizzly murders, and the monster get's schooled in fisticuffs despite the fact that were suppose to buy that it's stronger, tougher and faster than is humanly possible and has to use the cement overshoe's to win.

By what metric did you work that out lady? I legit want to know, that's not me being snarky. Also, how did you miss that transformation?

Fights not super impressive by today's standards, but for when this was made, this is quite cool actually. Dueling guys on motorcycles with boomerangs. THIS is why I watch a show like this!!! XD!!!

Lizard Cyborg on ceiling is hard to notice in a residential house, for, some reason.

Way to handle it there hero. *Slow clap.*

Ok, incompetence, more incom... ... ...

hold the phone, she, can actually fight a couple of them off and knows when to make a play? And crap, the scientist even did something useful!

Didn't see that coming.

And that's the episode.
    "I Burn!"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

I follow and am amused by this btw, since I never actually watch the original kamen rider.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Super exited for this actually, I've always loosely followed Kamen Rider, but I've never been sure the best place to start for watching it for reals.
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2017-11-25 at 10:55 AM.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know if this is the best place for me to have started.

I do know there have been some bits that I've enjoyed so far for there sheer insanity factor. =)

That said, the show has a very trippy vibe in places, and it can downright creepy or bleak in places. I, legit wasn't expecting it to be that bad on that front when I started this. I was thinking I'd have Amazon as the gore soaked one, and that it wouldn't start getting dark till Black and Black RX, and wouldn't get intolerably Dark till Hesei Era. Though we haven't gotten intolerably dark yet.
    "I Burn!"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Episode 13: Tokageron & The Great Monster Army
    Show
    Wow, good atmosphere, atomic research facility, menacing silouette use, and then Batman and Scorpion Man whom are evidently not dead burst onto the scene and murder two guards. And that's just the teaser.

I can't decide what I like more here.

That the monsters got beat by a force field they didn't know was there till they face planted into it, that Shocker's leader mentions that European and American counterpart organizations are making better progress than they are (and implying that this is because of Kamen Rider, though not outright saying it. Which begs the question why no one's talking about it.), or that Shocker's leader mentions there scientists already just happen o have a "Barrier Destruction Ball."! He says it like it's a fire extinguisher! Just something you'd have around! XD!

Wow, so, a soccer player beats down Chemlion Man, but Spiderman Stops him. ... ... i'm calling it, someone on the production of this show was a fan of American comics.

Oh, hey, rival guys back to have sexist conversations about breaking in his wife with the mentor dude. And yet no one's getting anything in the papers about Shockers big headway in America and Europe with taking over. And come on, we've seen these guys, there NOT subtle. And there Japan counterpart built a Barrier Destruction Ball, for no reason until now, that they needed to then go out and kidnap someone to use for them cause they forgot to make one they could actually use!

Poisonous Lizards are strong enough to kill Elephants? What? I, have a feeling that doesn't work that way.

Meanwhile, Hongo's genera senses seem to have been tingling, cause he's going to go protect the research plant, and evidently if they get pas that Barrier Tokyo will be wiped off the map in 10 minutes who the hell authorized building it then?!!!!!!

Ok, smart plan, followed by dump plan, followed by sexist banter again, followed by Dumber plan, followed by HOW THE HELL DID YOU JUMP FIFTEEN FREAKING FEAT IN THE AIR YOU ARE NOT A CYBORG!!!!!!!???????

... ... ... wow your a special kind of dense, aren't you rival guy? Also, I hate to say it, but, this time, bad guys got a point.

Great, so you can fifteen foot jump into trouble, but not out of it. *Slow clap.* Why attack them though? You duped him earlier!

How was that a loss? You got tagged one time and took a fall?! We've seen you bounce back from worse! You didn't even give him a Rider Kick?!!!! Though props to the actor for the fall, that was a solid bit of stunt work.

Ok, training montage. Let's see what we do with this. Good stunt work, and the rivals FBI.

WHAT?!

So, the only ones who don't know about Shocker are the Japanese government and people at large. Sure, why not. Also, mistake in the fight choreography. He kicks, and there's a sound effect of him hitting something, but there's no one there, cause the bad guy is behind him.

Ok, final fight! How will the Rider Defeat all 11 Cyborgs when he can't even beat the newest one alone?

VEHICULAR MANSLAUGHTER!!!!!!!! XD!!

Ok, not really, but this is a glorious fight scene that does start wtih him dueling them/chasing them around on the motor cycle. We've got Rider kicks, crotch attacks, weapons being summoned out of thin air, you couldn't ask for more.

And the stupid barrier destruction ball backfires and kills all 11 Cyborgs. Course, we have now established that Cyborgs can''t die, they just break and get repaired.

A cost saving measure I suspect. Let's them reuse the costumes.

And next episode apparently starts a new series, or so the trailer claims, so I wonder what that's gonna be about! Maybe the introduction of Rider 2 already?

I will say despite my riffing, this was a very action packed episode and I rather enjoyed it. =)
    "I Burn!"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Episode 14: The Attack Of The Demonic Man Saboteguron!
    Show
    New intro, I think they've tweaked the costume some, and we don't get the recap. Interesting.

HOLY CRAP THEY SHOW AN ATTACK BY SHOCKER IN MEXICO!!! Wow, they, succeeded at something, AND had something happen important outside of Japan!

Ok, there, really getting into the whole FBI is onto them thing! That's, actually really interesting development. Im surprised and impressed.

And what have we here? Ok, new supports, wonder if they'll be one off's? Still, it's actually fairly amusing that 2 of them can apparently kick ass but don't have any motorcycle experience but want to learn. It's actually still a bemusing scene. Wonder if they go anywhere with this, cause this sounds like an interesting longer running set up. =)

How do you know that about the bike?!

Ok, good trick deducing he's a bad guy anyway.

Ok, interesting, here's Kamen Rider, but the costumes different, and, after the fight, Hongo's not at the club/snack bar/thing.

Oh, were going to make them stereotypical after all. *sigh.* My fault, got my hopes up for a second there.

What the hells with the Photographer?

And, really? That, that seems kinda poorly thought out as a weapon. One fly get's too close while your setting it and it might not even make it to target.

... .... .... Ooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh!

OK! NOW IT MAKES SENSE! Damn, that's, actually clever.

Doesn't explain how the new guy got to be a cyborg but NOT get his mind messed with. But whatever. So, Hongo and designated Love Interest are officially put on a bus. Explains the last episode, that was his big send off!

And the new guy is Hayato Ichimonji. Ok, so, now we get a proper villain plan. Cactus bombs everywhere, the Rider is there with 2 allies to protect, and there trying to fight him and heard them into it.

This should be interesting as Rider 2 was suppose to be less dark then... ... ...

he drives the bad guys into there own bombs. So much for less dark.

Anyway, we end on a cliffhanger with him being thrown into the bombs.

So, That's the ep. Alright, this was cool. I like the new suit, bad guy was interesting and actually fairly smart, I want to know more about the new characters. I also want more details on what's up with Hongo and Ruriko other then "He went to go fight Shocker Around The World and she went after him. And I'm a Cyborg but won't tell you how that happened yet."

Though it does leave room for Hongo to come back, and acknowledges further that stuff is going on globally, which I like. And the new supports have room to be very interesting, particularly since we made a point of saying at least 2 of them can hold there own in a fight if needed.

I'm legitimately interested to see were this goes. =)
    "I Burn!"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Episode 15: Saboteguron Counterattacks
    Show
    Alright, so, we start with a quick recap that Hayato is now the Kamen Rider protecting Japan, that Hongo's off doing stuff outside Japan, and a very short form recap of previous episode. And we set the stage to do the general thrust of things at the start of the episode now using Hayato. Cool.

Jumping on the air to reverse the throw. Sure, why not.

huh, so, that more or less explains how he got to be a Rider. I love that they picked him cause he's good at sports, mid ranked Dan in Karate and Judo, and that's it.

Anyway, interesting bit of character establishment, even with him being paranoid about people coming to see him. Course, I suppose it's not paranoid since they really are out to get him.

Ok, standard early 70's lady stuff. Though I will concede the banter about the wrapped box wasn't bad if only because there is actually no in universe reason for her to think it's anything dangerous at this point. And, showing her up front is actually better treatment then some freaking modern lady characters get in some shows so, there's that.

Ok, so, they went for the club too (does he live there now? I'm legit not clear on that.) And two of the 4 support cast lady's go tearing off after him the obviously bad guy who delivered with out knowing the full situation. In fairness if someone left me a freaking bomb and hung around to watch I might have a similar reaction.

Anyway, he mucks up the Motorcycle and has minions pop out of the ground. Fight scene. Rider has to save them, but they actually hold there own half way well at first. I dunno, I feel like all this was was setting up him telling them about how he hope's they've learned there lesson.

Though they do capture a bad guy to try to interrogate. Let's see if that goes better for him then it usually did for Hongo.

Ok, so, they have him captive, just for joke janitor guy and the support lady's to faint and let him escape. ... ... ... why did we even bother making 2 of them marital artists again? I mean, loosing the fight would be one thing, we already know the only one that can brawl with him and win is Kamen Rider himself, but really, fainting?!

Though this at least makes the villain look slightly better in that he's giving the minion a second chance and not just leaving him to his fate or killing him right off. So, good on him for competency points. Overall I think he's one of the more capable opponents we've had so far actually.

Interesting infiltration scene. ... ... ... why do they not have cameras anymore? Or radios for there minions far as that goes?

Huh. That, was actually an entirely reasonable, logical way for this to play out. Interesting. And with a rather amusing twist! XD!

Well, ok, putting your munitions store room 3 feet from were you'd keep prisoners is, in hindsight, a design flaw, buuuuuuuuut, it's a good action scene, so I'll forgive it.

And I mean it's a good fight scene, and the villain is overall competent to the end.

So, that's the ep, and the conclusion of Rider 2's introduction. On the whole, a few disappointments, but, I like it.
    "I Burn!"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Episodes 16 - 20.
    Show
    Ok, so, been awhile, but I had some down time the other night so I decided to come up and watch a few more eps.

16 and 17, when combined with 14 and 15, have a noticeable trend. 4 Episodes that heavily involve Mexico. 2 with a Cactus monster explicitly from there, and 2 more with what they call Pro wrestling but is obviously set up 1: AS though it was real wrestling and not just choreography showmanship, and 2, has some fairly obvious lucha libra influences.

All this makes me wonder, why Mexico? I know in the 80's there was a big Australia and Japan craze in pop culture in the US, and in the 70's there was one for China when Kung Fu movies first came over and started getting dubbed.

Was there like, something similar going on in the early 70's in Japan, but with Mexico?

Anyway, fun fights, and we see Hayato call out Henshin when he transforms for the first time. And a new and somewhat formalized transformation sequence. And the monster here is this lizard thing allegedly form Mexico that puts out Poison Gas that can kill Dinosaurs. Ok. More interestingly, we see the monster part be destroyed, but the guy they reformatted into a cyborg is just fine and not a cyborg anymore, after eating a Rider Kick. Which, is, interesting. We, haven't had that before. Why, why was he not doing that before if he could just do it? Why was Hongo not doing that? Hongo, I think your friend would have liked you to just do that if that was a thing you could do.

Also, Shocker kind suck at guarding there rooms in there bases were they keep there bombs. Just putting that out there.

By episode 17, it's pretty firm that the group of support character's are staying around, and all know about Shocker. These guys are a horribly kept secret. And I'd mind them juuuuuuuuuust a bit less if someone other than the old professor/racing instructor guy and the FBI guy who's still around (No, seriously, why is this not CIA or Interpol? This was Exactly what those groups are for, not the FBI!) could actually hold there own at least against the foot solders! They barely manage against 2 troops with 2 on one odds against them and that's the only time we see them manage anything at all during this stretch.

Heck in episode 20 they even make a joke about it, when one of them freaks out on a Hike when they see a Caterpillar, cause she's deathly afraid of them, and the one who knows how to ride a motor bike makes a crack about her being way to week to be a 3rd Dan in a marital art.

It's out of intended context, but it kind of applies.

That aside, we get another pattern. Water.

Episodes 18, 19, and 20 manage to have the fighting and action center around either beaches, or mountain regions, with water. Fighting a Fossilized Star Fish that reeks of "Fossil's and Biology do not work that way!" But also requires them to go do something half way clever to soften it up to kill it. Episode 19 get's us a fight with a Bubble Crap monster who I swear has a Horror Movie version of some Pokémon Attacks, and is trying to set off Tsunami's, and Episode 20, we fight a Caterpillar Monster who tries to freaking Crucify with Electrocution the support cast. And were doing this in the mountains, at a water fall, and he survives to set up a two parter by going into a cocoon.

Which, don't get me wrong, is cool and it's a nice change of scenery.

What I can't figure out is why the show has suddenly decided at random points it,

Ok, remember VHS tapes anyone? Remember what it was like when you were fast forwarding them through a part to get to another part?

It does that, on it's own, during a couple of parts, for, what I can only assume, is either humor, or an attempt to get to the action faster. I, can't tell which. And I know not why.

Alright, anyway, we left off after the first part of a 2 parter, so, will see what happens next time. Over all, I'm enjoying it when I can get at it, but I think I'll be doing a format of multiple episodes at a time going forward. It's, too tedious doing them 1 at a time and writing the summery up afterword's for my liking.

That said, see you next time if anyone is still reading this, and we are now roughly 20% of the way through.
    "I Burn!"