New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Eragorn The Movie

I think Eragon makes a good intro to fantasy for kids and teenagers. While its hardly creative, its not especially offensive with its use of tropes either, the setting is kind of cool, and the plot is at least mostly coherent. If you already enjoy the genre it doesn't do a lot for you, but if you don't have a lot of experience, it gives you a good look at what is involved with the genre.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sinewmire View Post
    Well I imagine most of the changes from the screen were in order to avoid lawsuits from, let's see...

Plot - Star Wars

/grump
    It's not as if Star Wars didn't lift concepts or scenes from other movies:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OZq-tlJTrU

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    It's not as if Star Wars didn't lift concepts or scenes from other movies:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OZq-tlJTrU
    True, and every writer steals from somewhere. The problem with Eragon is how easily many of the characters and scenes fit beyond the standard hero's journey. The big ones you're missing are R2-D2 and C-3P0

That's not to say it isn't without it's good points, it's a very well done introductory fantasy novel. But the first book is basically a rough hacking out of the plot of A New Hope and dumping it in a (not particularly inventive) fantasy setting. The later books are better for moving away from it (not that I like them more, but I can appreciate them more).

But, well, my first attempts at novels weren't much better. Even my current attempt is derivative, I'm just trying to draw from as many sources as possible.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

I have always avoided Eragon like the plague... but i'd watch the nostalgia critic review, just for laugh.
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2017-10-04 at 06:20 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I think Eragon makes a good intro to fantasy for kids and teenagers. While its hardly creative, its not especially offensive with its use of tropes either, the setting is kind of cool, and the plot is at least mostly coherent. If you already enjoy the genre it doesn't do a lot for you, but if you don't have a lot of experience, it gives you a good look at what is involved with the genre.
    That's exactly how I feel about it. You have a standard Tolkien-Lite world (I hate to use Tolkien's name in association with that series, especially regarding world-building, but it's the only appropriate term), complete with definitely-not-orcs, and a few minor changes.
    You overhaul the magic system, add moar dragons, and make sure all the characters are stereotypes of their races.

However, it's a familiar world, it's a familiar story, with familiar characters. For the most part, the world and the lore are cool, even if uninspired; I quite liked the system of magic in particular. Plus, they're all tropes for a reason. Heck, I'll go right out and say I enjoy the books overall, albeit much less than when I was younger. They're definitely starting to show their faults - in the first book or two, just clumsy writing, but the further you go the more the whole world seems contrived.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; I liken the books to a modern one-hit-wonder pop song. It's a rehash of old material, not even a particularly good one, but it's catchy and those cliches caught on for a reason. If you spend a lot of time listening to inventive, well-written music, the flaws will stick out like a sore thumb, but if you don't it's a perfectly fun thing to listen to.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    That's exactly how I feel about it. You have a standard Tolkien-Lite world (I hate to use Tolkien's name in association with that series, especially regarding world-building, but it's the only appropriate term), complete with definitely-not-orcs, and a few minor changes.
    You overhaul the magic system, add moar dragons, and make sure all the characters are stereotypes of their races.
    The problem is that this works less as an introduction to fantasy and more as an introduction to crappy Tolkien knockoffs and D&D novels. Meanwhile there's plenty of excellent fantasy novels which this serves no introduction for at all, and to which you could be better introduced by a wikipedia article on the historical period they're totally not set in.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

I watched the movie. I found it somehow isn't able to link all the usual steps up in such a way that they make sense. This guys story is not very different than that from say Neo from The Matrix, yet when Neo discovers a new power it's cool, maybe it even feels earned, while Eragon feels like scene 17 is telling you magic is very rare and superhard to master and in scene 18 the hero masters it. Because of course he does. Scene 19 is about how long it will take a rider to be able to steer his dragon from the tail, because that's apparently a thing, and how good his bond to the dragon need to be for that. O boy, I wonder what scene 20 will be about.

Still kind of cool though. If I had kids I would absolutely not be surprised if this was one of those movies they'd want to see again and again, because the fuzzy dragon and the sword and then he sees through his eyes and wah, just wah!
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Halfling in the Playground

Do you mean Eragon the movie?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Yeah by itself the book series was a fairly good starting point for anyone who wants to get into this style of story. It covers all the general bases of this genre and it does it fairly well. But to someone who has read this type of story for years, its kinda lame. I mean I thought the Belgariad series was generic, (I still like that series btw) but even that wasnt as formulaic feeling as this one.
    The Belgariad was deliberately generic. Eddings knew he was just reusing existing "hammer and nails" of heroic literature, and therefore knew how to use them to build a competent story that dragged you in (he actually referred to what he was doing as "the literary equivalent of peddling drugs"). He also is a master of snark, so if you enjoy people being clever at each other (like in, say, West Wing), then you tend to enjoy Eddings' characters bouncing words off each other.

In many way, Tolkien did the same thing (indeed, Eddings was deliberately aping Tolkien when he wrote the Belgariad): he took the conventions of the heroic poems of Nordic culture, and just wrote one of his own (kinda; I'm aware that is simplifying massively).

Eragorn (new headcanon name, FTW) on the other hand uses the same hammer and nails of heoric literature, but one gets the feeling that it does so without understanding why, or what they are for. It makes all the difference.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pit of Shades View Post
    Do you mean Eragon the movie?
    Son of Erathon.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Son of Erathon.
    The Varden have no king.
    The Varden need no king.

On another tangent, just saw "Eragon" in his movie depiction. And, oh boy. He looks like someone took a look at Anakin and said "that's great, but can we make him look younger, less tough and more whiny?"
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    On another tangent, just saw "Eragon" in his movie depiction. And, oh boy. He looks like someone took a look at Anakin and said "that's great, but can we make him look younger, less tough and more whiny?"
    Sounds like the casting department did a good job, then.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

If anyone here has watched Downton Abbey they might recognize Eragon as the handsome footman tht Thomas jumps into bed with.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    If anyone here has watched Downton Abbey they might recognize Eragon as the handsome footman tht Thomas jumps into bed with.
    Eh, I prefer Cougarton Abbey myself.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

I recall the initial book to be kinda medioche with a few good bits in it. But also recall people telling how it later turned into a mixture of elven fan-wank and hypocrisy.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I recall the initial book to be kinda medioche with a few good bits in it. But also recall people telling how it later turned into a mixture of elven fan-wank and hypocrisy.
    The funny thing about the elves is that a close reading makes it pretty clear that Paolini was trying to create a secretive, morally ambigious race with bizarre customs that made interactions with them chancy at best, but he somehow managed to make them into the most famous Mary Sue-race in recent fantasy. How he messed up so badly boggles the mind.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    The funny thing about the elves is that a close reading makes it pretty clear that Paolini was trying to create a secretive, morally ambigious race with bizarre customs that made interactions with them chancy at best, but he somehow managed to make them into the most famous Mary Sue-race in recent fantasy. How he messed up so badly boggles the mind.
    I dunno, I certainly came away thinking that the Elves were full of nonsense and were so convinced of their superiority that they never bothered to examine that nonsense.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I dunno, I certainly came away thinking that the Elves were full of nonsense and were so convinced of their superiority that they never bothered to examine that nonsense.
    I'm not saying you're wrong, but in there's some small scenes dotted around the elven prancing that paint it in a very different light (for me, at least). For example, before Eragon enters the Elf Forest, the elf-girl specifically takes him aside to warn him about elven culture's manipulative tendencies with the many hidden plots that snare the unwary. This does get a few nods later, mostly in the behaviour of the queen, so I don't think that Paolini just threw it in to sound cool.

This then gets followed by the elf-girl shooting an injured falcon because it wouldn't heal, despite not eating meat. Eragon's dwarven companions outright say that asking elves for help might not be a good idea in case they decide you're better off dead. When the times comes to part, they tell Eragon to be on his guard as the Elves are glamourous and beautiful, but also likely to kill you for their own reasons.

Also, once Eragon leaves Elf Forest, he starts to reject things the elves taught him and later has a conversation with the Queen where he's horrified to learn that the elves slaughtered a group of woodcutters and have kept their town under mind control to use as their base in the war. Even though the elves don't seem to be bothered by this, Eragon's reaction is to remind himself that as beautiful as they are, the elves are deeply different from humans. Even if the elves in-story don't see themselves as flawed, I think it's safe to say that Paolini didn't intend for them to be the Mary-Sues they turned out as.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    I'm not saying you're wrong, but in there's some small scenes dotted around the elven prancing that paint it in a very different light (for me, at least). For example, before Eragon enters the Elf Forest, the elf-girl specifically takes him aside to warn him about elven culture's manipulative tendencies with the many hidden plots that snare the unwary. This does get a few nods later, mostly in the behaviour of the queen, so I don't think that Paolini just threw it in to sound cool.

This then gets followed by the elf-girl shooting an injured falcon because it wouldn't heal, despite not eating meat. Eragon's dwarven companions outright say that asking elves for help might not be a good idea in case they decide you're better off dead. When the times comes to part, they tell Eragon to be on his guard as the Elves are glamourous and beautiful, but also likely to kill you for their own reasons.

Also, once Eragon leaves Elf Forest, he starts to reject things the elves taught him and later has a conversation with the Queen where he's horrified to learn that the elves slaughtered a group of woodcutters and have kept their town under mind control to use as their base in the war. Even though the elves don't seem to be bothered by this, Eragon's reaction is to remind himself that as beautiful as they are, the elves are deeply different from humans. Even if the elves in-story don't see themselves as flawed, I think it's safe to say that Paolini didn't intend for them to be the Mary-Sues they turned out as.
    I don't disagree with you. In fact, my intent was to express that I think their Mary-sureness is overstated. Eragon sort of views them as unimpeachably perfect for a while, but its also worth pointing out that he has a rather slanted view of them to begin with. Theyre superficially perfect, believe themselves to be such, but the more you think about it the more horrifically flawed they are.