New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thac0

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Thac0

On another website, someone is saying that THAC0 is complicated. Does anyone else feel it is complicated? It seems very simple to me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Thac0

Well for some it is since subtraction is not as simple on a whole as addition. Granted some people make way too much of a deal about it but it is slightly less intuitive than addition.

It also depends on how you do it. I have no problem doing it how the 2e PHB describes how to do it but I have seen other people explain how to do it a different way that makes sense to them and I cannot use it at all.
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

My group is relatively new to 2E, and for some of us, it was extremely hard to figure out, to the point where people preferred playing casters just to avoid it. Now though, except for the guy who has to count on his fingers, it's just as fast and natural to us as d20.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

It's not so much complicated as it is counterintuitive. Rather than just adding modifiers to a die roll and comparing it to a static value, you're changing the static value (AC) and then adding it as a modifier to the attack roll, then comparing it to a number on a chart which is the real target value. Also, the books tend to explain this in different ways that work out to the same result, at least if my fuzzy memory is correct.

It's still the same mechanic as d20, it's just explained in a convoluted way.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

THAC0 and AC both have low numbers stronger. One downside to that, regardless of whether it's simple to use, is that some writers/creators don't express things right. They'll say "+2 AC" for an obviously defensive benefit, that kind of thing. The core books don't have that problem but it crops up in a lot of other places.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, some people just hate subtraction for some reason. Although it takes longer for some people, they generally aren't great at mental maths.

If you know you have the weapon, you can actually just subtract your attack bonuses from your THAC0 (or add your penalties). That way the formula goes from THAC0-(1d20+modifiers)=AC hit to (THAC0-modifiers)-1d20=AC hit, but we already know (THAC0-modifiers). It's equivalent to adding your modifiers to your BAB.

Basically, people overstate it and some seem to loathe addition. What's bad about THAC0 isn't that it's difficult, it's that it contributes to the 'are high or low numbers good' problem.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    What's bad about THAC0 isn't that it's difficult, it's that it contributes to the 'are high or low numbers good' problem.
    Which I think of as a perk, honestly. By having combat require high d20 rolls and ability/NWP checks require low rolls, you mitigate the problem of having a wonky die. Once, a guy in my group rolled ~30 1's over a given night. It was ridiculous, like every other roll was a 1. It kept happening even with other people rolling the stupid die. But, because it was for both combat and NWP checks, he wound up being useless in combat, but great in every other way. Which at least made things more interesting than if he suddenly started failing everything.

He doesn't get to roll that die anymore, though.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

THAC0 isn't really very confusing or utterly bad, but once you've done it the other way (AC = target dice roll), then you have to wonder what the hell they were thinking.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Lots of people have trouble with THAC0. I remember that already being the case back when 2e was the most recent edition and there was nothing simpler it was being compared to.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Potatomade View Post
    Which I think of as a perk, honestly. By having combat require high d20 rolls and ability/NWP checks require low rolls, you mitigate the problem of having a wonky die. Once, a guy in my group rolled ~30 1's over a given night. It was ridiculous, like every other roll was a 1. It kept happening even with other people rolling the stupid die. But, because it was for both combat and NWP checks, he wound up being useless in combat, but great in every other way. Which at least made things more interesting than if he suddenly started failing everything.

He doesn't get to roll that die anymore, though.
    I mean, my preferred solution is to use bell curve systems, so that a single die has less impact. But different strokes for different folks.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

My group never had any problems with THAC0, or descending Armor Class. I guess we intuitively knew that a +X bonus or a -Y penalty was applied in what ever way made it a bonus or a penalty. If you need to roll a 14 or higher, a +4 bonus is applied to your die roll, not your target number. A shield +2 makes you harder to hit, so naturally, you subtract that bonus from your AC, because low ACs are better.

I suspect descending AC is a hold-over from the table-top miniature wargaming rules they were using.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Incidentally, if your GM is ok with giving out AC numbers (and really they should be because they're hardly secret after 3 rounds). You can turn THAC0 into a static target by moving the AC value to the other side of the equation. So d20+mods+AC >= THAC0 means you hit.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

It's easy, if you are actually trying to learn the new system.

It's confusing if you are trying to think in terms of the old system while using the new one.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

A lot of the confusion I've seen surrounding THAC0 involves a lot of shortcuts and confusing (and contradictory) ways of dealing with it. You could see one method of calculating it in a magazine, another in a splatbook, and a third from a friend, and confusing one method with another would turn the entire thing into a giant mess, requiring you to sit down and re-calculate the entire thing from the beginning. It seems especially confusing to people who are familiar with the d20 System and try to translate it.

On the other hand, if you've only been introduced to one way to deal with it, THAC0 works perfectly fine. It also doesn't really need a "translation", as the math works perfectly fine for the one person intended to use it. (the DM) Perhaps the only point of confusing regarding THAC0 and AC is that an Armor +2 has a lower AC than the standard armor, and a Cursed Armor -5 has a higher AC. But that tends to be rather well handled in the AC tables, and most other magical effects that I recall used language like "reduce the AC by two points" to be clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

15. - Top - End - #15

PirateGuy

Having cut my D&D teeth (though not my ttrpg teeth) on THAC0, I agree that while it is not particularly harder, it is less intuitive. I've seen plenty of cases where it and the "is high good or bad" situation is a barrier to new players enjoying the game. I think it comes up as often as it does because it's quick and easy to convey.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

THAC0 is awesome. It is WHY I play AD&D 2e (or at least one of the many reasons).

I always find the "subtraction is difficult!" claim confusing... THAC0 doesn't need to involve subtraction. At my table, I have the players roll a die and add any bonuses that they know of (high strength, magic weapons... etc.) Then on my side of the screen, I ADD the target's AC and see if the total is higher than the character's THAC0. No subtraction necessary. Just think THAC0 as the target number for a character of that level (i.e. a 3rd level Fighter hits on an 18+) and think of the enemy's AC as a modifier to the attack roll (i.e. chainmail gives a +5 to hit and plate mail gives a +3 to hit).

THAC0 is dead simple and it keeps the right amount of info in the players' hands... the players should just be worrying about their d20 roll and their miscellaneous bonuses. As the DM, I just keep a short list for the party's THAC0 scores (i.e. PC#1 18, PC#2 19, PC#3 19 etc.) and the monster's stats handy. Easy peasey. Later editions felt like "roll-playing" games for me because all the modifiers and numbers were shoved in the players' faces 24/7... base attack bonus, ability score modifiers, magic weapon modifiers... you end up with a +22 on a die roll that itself only has 20 sides!
    Last edited by Grumm; 2017-08-27 at 10:57 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grumm View Post
    THAC0 is dead simple and it keeps the right amount of info in the players' hands... the players should just be worrying about their d20 roll and their miscellaneous bonuses. As the DM, I just keep a short list for the party's THAC0 scores (i.e. PC#1 18, PC#2 19, PC#3 19 etc.) and the monster's stats handy. Easy peasey. Later editions felt like "roll-playing" games for me because all the modifiers and numbers were shoved in the players' faces 24/7... base attack bonus, ability score modifiers, magic weapon modifiers... you end up with a +22 on a die roll that itself only has 20 sides!
    Unless the players don't know their own THAC0 this leaves exactly the same information in the players' hands as the BAB system. As for the rest of the modifiers, they're not a function of BAB vs. THAC0 in any way.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Grumm View Post
    THAC0 is awesome. It is WHY I play AD&D 2e (or at least one of the many reasons).

I always find the "subtraction is difficult!" claim confusing... THAC0 doesn't need to involve subtraction. At my table, I have the players roll a die and add any bonuses that they know of (high strength, magic weapons... etc.) Then on my side of the screen, I ADD the target's AC and see if the total is higher than the character's THAC0. No subtraction necessary. Just think THAC0 as the target number for a character of that level (i.e. a 3rd level Fighter hits on an 18+) and think of the enemy's AC as a modifier to the attack roll (i.e. chainmail gives a +5 to hit and plate mail gives a +3 to hit).

I have no problem with THAC0 and love AD&D but as a DM and a player this is the sort of way doing THAC0 I could never use. Don't ask me why I cannot tell you but this method always caused me major problems. I am not saying you are wrong just relating about how for me (and others too) that what is easy for one is not easy for another.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

It's not complicated, but it is counterintuitive.

Under THAC0 the target is a property of the actor and the modifiers are a property of the target.

Under BAB the target is a property of the target and the modifiers are a property of the actor.
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2017-08-28 at 02:56 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    It's not complicated, but it is counterintuitive.

Under THAC0 the target is a property of the actor and the modifiers are a property of the target.

Under BAB the target is a property of the target and the modifiers are a property of the actor.
    *shrug* So? That's not really all that counter-intuitive, especially if you're looking at it from the point of view that the players are not intended to know the exact to hit numbers that are required to score a hit. They know what they rolled and, in the end, they are told whether or not they succeed or fail, but they do not know by how much either way for that is the provenance of the DM. It's only counter-intuitive if you are working out entirely in the open as became the norm rather than unique in D20.

I still prefer to-hit charts, but that's just me.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

21. - Top - End - #21

RedWizardGuy

Always found it straightforward, and the complaints about it being difficult massively overblown.

Sure, the current system probably works better at first glance under the "bigger number means better" principle, but the actual maths is basically the exact same calculation. Hell, I routinely used 2nd ed adventure modules in my 3rd ed campaign, and converting the Thac0 and AC of the various stat-blocks can be done in your head as you play.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

It's also worth noting that 2nd edition THAC0 can easily (as in within about 3 minutes, the time it takes you to actually type out a couple of sentences) be converted to a BAB system that works perfectly well: believe me, I've done it and played it for near a decade. Don't know if it's "more intuitive," easier, or faster, it just works about as well.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    *shrug* So? That's not really all that counter-intuitive, especially if you're looking at it from the point of view that the players are not intended to know the exact to hit numbers that are required to score a hit. They know what they rolled and, in the end, they are told whether or not they succeed or fail, but they do not know by how much either way for that is the provenance of the DM. It's only counter-intuitive if you are working out entirely in the open as became the norm rather than unique in D20.

I still prefer to-hit charts, but that's just me.
    Seeing as AC is hidden information by default, that's not actually a difference in the system.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sorry peeps, all the explanations that go "Thac0 is simple, you just have to do steps A, B and C and there you have it" do nothing to make it sound any less counter-intuitive. Anyone can grok later editions' to-hit and AC, but this really takes some mental gymnastics to memorize.

Before reading this thread I was convinced that a lot of thac0 fans are just posturing and pretending that anyone who doesn't like the mechanic is just bad at math or dumb in general.

Responses in this thread only further reinforced my opinion.
    Last edited by tensai_oni; 2017-08-29 at 11:45 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tensai_oni View Post
    Sorry peeps, all the explanations that go "Thac0 is simple, you just have to do steps A, B and C and there you have it" do nothing to make it sound any less counter-intuitive. Anyone can grok later editions' to-hit and AC, but this really takes some mental gymnastics to memorize.
    Seriously????? It is literally (in the definition that means what is said is exactly what is meant) the same calculations involved in BAB. You still have your target number, your situational modifiers, your base modifier, and your die roll. The only difference is the direction of improving armor class. You're still adding or subtracting the same numbers.

It's all there in the acronym: To Hit Armor Class zero(0). If your THAC0 is 15, a roll of 15 hits AC:zero (or AC:20 in the BAB version). A 16 hits AC -1, while a 14 hits AC:1. That's it.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2017-08-30 at 07:42 AM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tensai_oni View Post

Before reading this thread I was convinced that a lot of thac0 fans are just posturing and pretending that anyone who doesn't like the mechanic is just bad at math or dumb in general.

Responses in this thread only further reinforced my opinion.
    Meanwhile, posts like this reinforce my 'people who don't like THAC0 are lazy' view.

I mean, if it's really too much of a problem to do THAC0-(1d20+modifiers)=AC hit, you can spend like 2 minutes turning it into a to-hit table. I mean, it is slightly counter intuitive, but no more than GURPS and it's 'roll under skill to succeed'. No mental gymnastics required, just a requirement to do some basic maths.

Now THAC0 is also slightly slower than BAB, in that most people add faster than they subtract, but not significantly so. But if you want to skip that at level one write up a to-hit table and adjust it whenever your THAC0 changes.

FWIW I never liked 'THAC0 is target number', although I understand it, because once grokked subtracting your attack roll from your THAC0 is slightly faster. But it's not hard.

(Plus let's take the challenge of changing it to a positive bonus. AC is now equal to 20-oldAC, your accuracy bonus begins at 0 and increases as THAC0 would decrease. One minute and done, although you might want to type out the new accuracy bonus tables for classes.)

Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

It's neither complicated OR counter-intuitive. We were using that and other simple shortcuts to the attack matrices of 1E long before 2E came out. I have to assume that those who have problems with understanding it either just don't like it PERIOD (for whatever reasons) and therefore try to label it in order to justify their dislike, or else they simply had it very badly explained to them. It ain't just simple addition, but neither is it calculus.
    Last edited by D+1; 2017-08-29 at 10:35 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by D+1 View Post
    We were using that and other simple shortcuts to the attack matrices of 1E long before 2E came out.
    Just a minor nit-pick, but saying "long before 2e came out" implies (to me at least) that you mean to say that THAC0 is a 2nd edition rule.

THAC0 was first introduced to 1st edition in 1983 with the module "UK3: The Sentinel" as an optional rule. It actually appeared much earlier in an issue of "White Dwarf" Magazine but I am only referring to "official" TSR publications.

It latter appeared as an "official" part of the 1st edition ruleset in 1986 with the publication of the "Dungeoneer's Survival Guide" hardbound.

The term THAC0 (as opposed to a usable game mechanic) is actually much much older, and can be found in the 1st edition DMG (published in 1979) on pages 196 - 215 in the "APPENDIX E: ALPHABETICAL MONSTER LISTING".
    Last edited by Digitalelf; 2017-08-30 at 08:39 AM.
    "Its amazing how hostile people can get about an entirely optional campaign setting that they werent forced to play."

-Weasel Fierce (of Dragonsfoot)-

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

FMPOV, the stream of this thread is:

1. "THAC0 is not counterintuitive."
    2. "I find THAC0 to be counterintuitive."
    3. "You're dumb/lazy."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by D+1 View Post
    It's neither complicated OR counter-intuitive. We were using that and other simple shortcuts to the attack matrices of 1E long before 2E came out. I have to assume that those who have problems with understanding it either just don't like it PERIOD (for whatever reasons) and therefore try to label it in order to justify their dislike, or else they simply had it very badly explained to them. It ain't just simple addition, but neither is it calculus.
    It is only complicated actually when people try to simplify it (though to be fair for some who do that it makes it easier to use despite the extra complications they add to it) however it is certainly less intuitive than rolling a number and adding a bonus to it. You can find studies that discuss how subtraction is less intuitive than addition even if it really should be just as easy. Now I do agree that there are a lot of people (especially those who have not really played with it) that make a much bigger deal than it is because it really is not that hard but to declare that it is as intuitive as addition is going too far the other way.

Now it does have one advantage not being talked about right now which is that it usually deals with smaller numbers. Addition is relatively easy but the bigger numbers get the less easy it becomes. THAC0 does tend to revolve around smaller numbers and that is a bonus though it does lose points again due to quickly involving negative numbers which once again are not as easy to use for many people.