1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Heroes of Anberd (IC)

Spoiler: For Jarrak only
    Show

A messenger found you in a nearby village, delivering the following letter:
    Sir Jarrak,

I hope that this letter finds you well. Would you join me for supper on the evening of the 13th? There are some curious circumstances which I think warrant further investigation, so I am assembling a party to investigate. I hope I can engage your valuable services.

Gratefully,
    Galdren, Mayor of Anberd

Spoiler: For Karghun only
    Show

Isilda visited you a couple days ago. Before leaving, she said, "My father would like you to join us for dinner on Thursday. We're worried about some curious circumstances, and hope you might take part in an investigation. He's putting together a team for the purpose, and that team will be there Thursday."

Spoiler: For Martin only
    Show
    As you arrived back in the town of Anberd, just passing through, you happened to pass the new mayor, Galdren, in the street.
    He remembered you from your last visit. "Some of the townsfolk tell me you've had quite a few adventures," he said. "Oh, don't look worried! I actually could use just that skill set! I'm having a few others over for supper tomorrow night. If you'd be interested in working an investigative job, please join us."

Spoiler: For Varis only
    Show
    One night, as you played your viol in The Tipsy Troll, one of the customers dropped a letter into your hat. It was this message from the mayor:
    Dear Varis,

While your musical talents are delighting many of my citizens, I have a matter to investigate which may require some of your other talents. Please join me for supper on the 13th. I'm assembling a team for what I hope will be a fairly short mission, and I can provide payment. I hope you will join the team.

Gratefully,
    Galdren, Mayor of Anberd

Spoiler: For Samani only
    Show
    After arriving in the dinky little town of Anberd, you found yourself staying at The Tipsy Troll. A half-elf with coal black hair and blue eyes played the viol there. The next morning, before you left, Morton the barkeeper handed you a letter that was left for you.
    Captain Samani Claspshands,

I hope this letter finds you well. I do not know what business brings you back to Anberd, but I would be grateful if you could provide your investigative assistance on a local matter. I am assembling a team to look into some curious circumstances. If you can spare some time for our mission, I will do my best to compensate you. Please join me at my home for supper tomorrow night if you are interested.

Gratefully,
    Galdren, Mayor of Anberd

Spoiler: For Mutt only
    Show
    When you came back into the town one day, your sister Andrea gave you a letter which had been left for you.
    Dear Mutt,

I hope this letter finds you well. There are some curious circumstances which may mean the town is in danger. I hope I can convince you to join a party to investigate the matter. We are gathering at my home for supper on the 13th. Please join us if you are willing to help.

Gratefully,
    Galdren, Mayor of Anberd

Each of you has been summoned to meet Galdren at his home this evening for supper. He lives with his daughter Isilda, in a spacious cabin attached to the forge. You have no problems finding your way to his home at the appointed hour. Galdren and Isilda are inside, waiting.
    Last edited by Vegan Squirrel; 2017-09-09 at 09:55 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Heroes of Anberd (IC)

Jarrak of Blackmoore

A tall figure in a beat up cloak slowly walks up to the edge of the town.

Reaching into his pouch he drew out a note and read it once more. It had been a while since he'd heard from Galdren, long enough that he hadn't known about the smith becoming the new mayor of the town. Too long.

He threw back the hood on his cloak, letting his blonde hair spill down his shoulders, then marched into town with a smile on his face. The place hadn't changed much since he left, and before long he found himself standing outside Galdren's cabin.

He reached up to knock on the door, saw his own hand and paused to wipe what he could of the dust and the trail off on his already dirty cloak before knocking.

"Anybody home?"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Martin came to the house, dressed in his finer clothes but wearing no signet ring. The idea of working for investigation was not initially appealing to him but he had been on the other end of this process more than once, and this would allow him to further think up his counter measures.

One they are greeted he enters the house smiling, shaking the hand of both Galdren and his daughter. "So how is life as a mayor treating you? Martin said in an effort to make small talk with Galdren, I'm sure, as capable as you are you've taken it in your stride.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2017-09-09 at 07:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Varis

Varis picks up the letter. He wondered what it was, a letter from an admirer? This was a rather small town, Varis would have to careful with things of that nature...

On the 13th Varis is heading towards the mayor's house. Not a letter from a fan then. Though Galdren had been impressed by Varis' recollection of his escapades. He wondered why a mayor of a small town such as this would want to 'assemble a team'. Perhaps bandits? Varis hoped it was nothing too serious. He rather liked the little town. He usually took a vacation, staying in a small town like this for a month or two, provided there was enough audience for him to make a living. Whatever this was, Varis hoped there was a money involved. His purse was very light at the moment.

Varis notices someone waiting at Galdren's doorstep. "Evening! Jarrak, wasn't it?" Varis says cheerily to the other half-elf."Are you here about the mission as well?"
    Last edited by Majin; 2017-09-09 at 01:28 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

To AndreaWhat no greetings just a letter and send me on my way? He says with a stern face til he breaks down and gives Andrea a big hug and a kiss on the cheek. How's work sis? Hear any good gossip? Any new suiters? He says with a growl. Well looks like I may be gone awhile longer. I brought you some pheasant here. I love you sis. he says with a grin his typical farewell.

His whole mood changes from that moment. His home dispite the poor treatment was in trouble. He walks up to the door and knocks. He says I hope this is worth my time.
    I could be spending time with my sister.
    still a stern expression.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jarrak of Blackmoore

Jarrak turned, surprised to see a familiar face. They'd never been introduced to each others, but when people traveled the towns as much as he did they'd inevitably cross paths. And he recognized the man he'd occasionally seen in taverns from time to time. Good entertainers were worth remembering.

Besides, he was quite sure that besides the two of them there were hardly any half-elfs to be found for leagues in any direction.

"Well met," He says offering his hand to the newcomer with a smile, "You are right, Jarrak is my name and if I'm not mistaken you're Varis the bard?"

7. - Top - End - #7

Samani Claspshands
    Paladin 2

So this was Anberd? It slightly struck a chord in her mind, but really, these places all looked the same compared to the way cities just made sense. In a rural town, you couldn't tell where you were in by the way the road felt beneath your boots or by the way the air smelled. (Not to say that the air did not smell, but it was all the same smell.) There wasn't any sport to finding your way around. It must have made coppering out here an utter bore.

Samani felt at once both claustrophobic and agoraphobic. There were so few people, but they were all just far too cozy. The first time she'd left Crowhame to visit the countryside, she'd become immediately suspicious with how friendly and talkative everyone was. It struck her that the entire town must have had something to hide. Of course, she'd been right, but the problem was that these small towns hid more secrets than they had any right to and it made finding real leads immensely irritating. She cared about actual crimes, not trivialities like that the local tanner had been paying off the butcher to hide that he'd been (as the saying goes) sneaking flowers into the barmaid's mailbox.

With such experience in mind, she was entirely unsurprised to receive a note after her first bloody night in town. Pinching the bridge of her nose, she read the note as the barman looked on. Galdren? The name sounded familiar, though maybe that was Gundren or Galavant or something... Either way, a letter from the mayor wasn't the worst place to start sniffing about, and so Samani finds herself outside the mayor's property the next night.

She notes that the two half-elves that have already arrived seem to know one another. There are also a few more people already in the house, and so she makes her way into the door, greeting Galdren with a firm handshake. "Good evening, Mayor," she says, "It's quite the... ehm, team you've assembled here. I can hardly imagine the circumstances that must have warranted it. Still, I'm never one to turn down the hospitality of a free meal."

8. - Top - End - #8

BlackDragon

Galdren welcomes each of you in turn, as you arrive.

"Come on in, Jarrak, it's good to see you! And Varis, yes, take a seat at the table."

"Martin, welcome! Being mayor is a balancing act, but that's part of why you're here."

He gestures them to the large oak table, with seats all around it. His daughter is bringing in serving bowls of meat and vegetables, and there is already bread and rice on the table.

"Captain! I'm so glad you could make it. I don't believe you've been around these parts since returning that sword to me, but you are always welcome. These are, indeed, strange circumstances, and unfortunately the local law enforcement is not entirely available at the moment. But we'll get to all that in due time."

"Some of you already know her, but this is my daughter Isilda," he adds, as she comes back in with a pitcher of ale. "Isilda has taken over my forge since I became mayor. Thank you for grabbing the rest of the food, dear," he adds, speaking to Isilda.

"Of course," she replies.

"I'm expecting a couple more, so I'll hold off on the business talk, but feel free to begin dining. Take a bowl and add whatever you'd like, there's more in the kitchen."

He settles down at the head of the table, snatching a roll and beginning to eat. Isilda sits on the far end, contenting herself for the moment with a few sips of ale.
    My 5e Monster Repository (a modest collection)
    Spoiler: 5e Quick, ad-hoc numbers
    Show
    Task DCs — Simple: 8 | Normal: 13 | Challenging: 18 | Formidable: 23
    Monsters (1 v. 1) — AC: 12 + level/2 | HP: 10 × level | To-Hit: 2 + level/2 | DPR: 4 × level
    Solos (v. 4 PCs) — +2 to AC & To-Hit | HP: 5 × level | DPR: 10 × level
    Monster treasure — CR2 × tier gp

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jarrak of Blackmoore

Jarrak clasps hands with Galdren, "Congratulations on becoming the mayor."

He sets his bag, cloak, sword and armor in a corner, and pulls a small jar out of his things.

"Thanks for the hospitality,"
    He says as he bows his head to Galdren and Isilda, "I'm afraid I didn't have much time to get anything so I'm afraid this is all I have to contribute to the meal."

He sets a jar of honey down next to the rolls.

He dishes up some food and ale, glancing over to Isilda, "How's business?"

10. - Top - End - #10

BlackDragon

To Mutt's arrival, Galdren responds, "Well, I certainly hope it will prove worth your time, but I suppose you'll have to be the judge of that. I do appreciate your coming here."

Galdren acknowledges Jarrak's gift, "Why thank you, but there was no need to contribute to tonight's meal."

And upon the knight's query, Isilda replies, "The forge has been quite busy. At first everyone's a little unsure, they're so used to Father. But they're willing to give me a chance, and they've kept coming back." She smiles a little uncomfortably, proud of her success but not eager to boast of it.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So sorry, I missed Mutt's entrance between the other posts! So that means Karghun will be the last to arrive.
    Show
    Monsters (1 v. 1) — AC: 12 + level/2 | HP: 10 × level | To-Hit: 2 + level/2 | DPR: 4 × level

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Karghun Silverforged
    Second Level Cleric
    Spoiler: Combat Stats
    Show
    HP: 17/17 AC: 18
    Concentrating on:
    Other effects:

A few days ago
    Karghun sat by the fire listening to Isilda's tale. The young woman had seemed to grow so fast. These short-lived humans were always rushing things...including how quickly they became adults. He nodded his head as he stared at the flames in the hearth. "It is strange. You can tell your father I'll be happy to help him out of course. A team, eh? It'll be interesting to see what kind of team he has in mind. Team. That term cracks me up. Your father." He chuckles a bit.

After visiting, he shows Isilda out, handing off some of his most recent shipment from home. Parsnip and carrot soup. Some things grew pretty well underground, and the Argent Hills had some great chefs, surprisingly, who were willing to pass on some great recipes. "Make sure the old man is getting enough to eat."

Today
    Kurghen walks into Galdren's house without bothering to knock. "Sorry I'm late, Galdren. I've been trying to arrange for a merchant who can...." Kurghen pauses as he sees the small arrangement of strangers around the house. He silently takes each of them in, assessing their possible usefulness to his old friend. He finally nods to the collection, "Hello. You must be, He looks at Isilda and smiles, "the team. I'm Kurghen Silvergforged. Galdren and I go back....well, further than he'd probably like to admit. "

Kurghen walks past the others and helps himself to a mug, pours himself some ale, and finally has a seat at the table. "Did we start yet?"
    Jophine Dustwallow avatar by Shades of Gray

Spoiler: Other Avatar
    Show

Avatar: Tarina Davenledge, Cleric of Mishakal by Gorgon_Heap

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Varis

"Indeed I am. I heard from Morton you're the one responsible for those direwolf heads. You must tell me the story some day. Morton's told it, sure, but I'd be eager to hear the first-hand account."

Varis enters the room, and greets the mayor and his daughter eagerly with a wide grin. "I'm afraid I didn't bring anything for the dinner table, but perhaps I can play something after the meal", Varis says and sets his violin case down.

"I'm expecting a couple more, so I'll hold off on the business talk, but feel free to begin dining. Take a bowl and add whatever you'd like, there's more in the kitchen."
    "Well then, don't mind if I do", Varis says and starts filling his plate with gracious portions. Offer of free food was something he'd always take advantage of.

As Varis starts eating, he wonders what the local law enforcement couldn't deal with. Honestly, it was probably plenty of things. That Hannon fellow wasn't bad or anything, certainly better than the many crooked city guards Varis had had to deal with in the past. Those were often worse than the criminals themselves. No, Hannon could be much worse, but likely not that much help in solving actual, serious crimes.

13. - Top - End - #13

BlackDragon

"Welcome, Karghun. We were just about to begin, and introductions are a good way to start. Some of you already know each other, but some of you aren't from Anberd."

Galdren indicates the dwarven cleric who just entered. "Karghun Silverforge, of Anberd," and then the other dwarf, "Captain Samani Claspshands, from Crowhame, who successfully tracked down a stolen sword for me years ago."

He gestures to a man with great, bushy beard. "Mutt here is an excellent hunter, who keeps an eye out for any trouble heading in from beyond town."

Then Galdren turns to another man, in fine clothes. "Martin Riders, a trader with some adventures to his name."

"Varis," he says, pointing out the entertainer, "whose talents are not limited to music."

"And finally," the mayor says, gesturing to the first of the visitors to have arrived, "Jarrak of Blackmoore, who once slew a pair of dire wolves who were terrorizing the town."

He takes a few sips of ale, and his face turns serious. "Thank you all for joining me this evening. There are a number of curious circumstances that have come to my attention recently, and I suspect there may once again be some kind of dangerous beast in the area around Anberd. First of all, Isilda has noticed that there are a lot of used weapons and tools coming in as scrap. They've mostly been found out in the woods beyond the nearest villages. This alone seemed quite strange, but it's not clear where they're coming from."

He pauses for a moment, before continuing. "Our sheriff, Hannon, is known to visit the woods to the north, past the village of Oakwell, for frequent hunting trips. It's a three-day ride there, three days back, and he generally hunts for two to three days before returning. He's been gone now for sixteen days, without any messages. He hasn't been seen in Oakwell since his party left there for the hunt."

"But our messenger came back from Oakwell, and said Hannon's not the only one missing. There seem to be several villagers missing as well. I'm not sure what's out there, but I'd like you to head out there and see if you can sort out the problem. Figure out what's out there, find Hannon and the other missing villagers, if you can, and see if you can put an end to this."

"What do you say?"
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jarrak of Blackmoore

"This sounds pretty serious," Jarrak notes, setting his ale down and sitting back in his chair, "Missing people, and a sudden appearance of weapons and tools? It sounds like somebody has moved into those woods."

"I'm willing to look into this."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Karghun Silverforged
    Second Level Cleric
    Show
    Concentrating on:
    Other effects:

Karghun snorts. "You know you didn't need to bribe me with drinks and food to get me to look into this. Of course I'll go, whether or not anyone else signs on. Anything else we should know?"

Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Samani Claspshands
    Paladin 2

"Missing persons, Galdren?" Samani sighs, "And Anberd's sheriff among them? I'm amazed your entire town hasn't collapsed into anarchy... but that's just the city in me talking, and I suppose it's beside the main point. What kind of people have been going missing, do you know? It could make quite the difference in approaching the situation, if the missing persons are all hunters or mostly those who stay in the town."
    Last edited by Scripten; 2017-09-10 at 11:17 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Karghun Silverforged
    Second Level Cleric
    Show
    Concentrating on:
    Other effects:

Karghun chuckles. "If anyone acts up around here without Hannon around, they know ol' Galdren will knock them around." Though he didn't seem upset on the outside, his thoughts were swirling. It was extremely unlike Hannon to just disappear and not tell anyone what was going on. Something must have happened. Part of what drew Karghun to this area was the people...the quiet...what was going on?

Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

This concerns Mutt greatly. Hannon was an old friend of Mutts father. The man was there for help, after thier father died and step mom was out of thier life, whenever Mutt and Andrea needed it though they preceded to look after themselves. He may not have called his son friend but he wasn't tortured by him.

Mutt chimes in Is his son on the trip as well? Does anyone else know anything? trying to not show his concern though he felt the need to leave right then. Should be tell his sister?
    Last edited by zylodrizzt; 2017-09-10 at 11:39 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Hmm, if there was something going on there this could pin him down unable to travel for a little to long, whereas these others seemed an interesting enough bunch.

Sure, I'll lend a hand, little else for me to do this season and it's always important to look for everyone's safety. Although would you know if things can be provided for the costs of doing all this.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2017-09-11 at 11:30 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Varis

No wonder Hannon couldn't do anything about this, he was a victim himself. Varis thought about asking whether there was a reward included, but everyone volunteered so quickly, it seemed crass. Perhaps after the whole thing was resolved, he could inquire about it more tactfully. Or perhaps he would find something valuable during the mission that would serve as reward.

"Sure, I'm in. Sounds exciting." It would be a shame if the peace and quiet of this little town was disturbed. Disappearances could be due to many things, like beasts, but weapons don't just appear out of nowhere.

21. - Top - End - #21

BlackDragon

Galdren listens to the reactions of his team. Good, he thinks, I at least have a team for this.

Then he begins to address their concerns. "Hannon left with a few other men from the town guard. His son didn't leave on this trip. As for the missing people in Oakwell, the messenger didn't get many details, he thought it was more important to get back to Anberd with the news."
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Spoiler: Mutt pic
    Show

Well if we are all agreed then shall we leave tomorrow? Galdren gave short introductions before so how about we complete the introduction and maybe start some plan making?
    I'll start. Yes I hunt well. I use every part of the beast I kill. I also keep watch over these lands and how this situation escaped me is beyond my comprehension. I have some nature magic mostly dedicated to survival. I am skilled with animals. I can mix up batches of herbs for health or enjoyment. I have some stealthy magic as well. Let us complete introductions and plans quickly so I don't miss too much time with my sis. She is baking a cake for desert.
    Last edited by zylodrizzt; 2017-09-11 at 04:02 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Varis

"Alright, then introductions!" Varis says and gives a deep bow, flourishing his coat sleeves as if he had a cloak. "If you've spent an evening in the Tips Troll, you may have heard me play, and so you must know I'm an excellent entertainer. I have light feet and..." with a flick of his wrist, Varis brings out a shuriken hidden inside his sleeve. With another quick motion he throws the shuriken at the wall. "...that."

Varis gives Galdren a guilty look. "Ah, sorry about the wall." He clears his throat and plucks the shuriken out of the wall. "It sounds like Hannon might have gotten far. Can you provide us with horses? I don't own one myself. Very expensive to keep up."

24. - Top - End - #24

BlackDragon

Galdren only laughs at the shuriken trick. "I think the wall will be okay, but do be mindful."

At the mention of horses, his eyes light up. "Ah, yes. The town can provide you with horses and feed for the journey. We'll try to help with any other accommodations you feel are necessary. I'll provide you with a letter that should allow you to put your inns' stays on Anberd's tab. But that doesn't count for unlimited ale!" He laughs a bit more, helping himself to another glass.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Karghun Silverforged
    Second Level Cleric
    Show
    Concentrating on:
    Other effects:

Karghun winces as the shuriken lands in the nice oaken walls of his friend's dining room. He shakes his head in distaste at the mark as the young bard pulls his weapon out of the wall. "I hit things hard with my hammer. If they still be standin' after that....I hit 'em again." As he speaks, he stands and makes his way over to where the shuriken had previously been stuck in the wall. He reaches up and moves his hand down the wooden structure, almost caressing it. As his hand passes over it the second time, the mark is completely gone. He turns and gives a disapproving glare to Varis. "A craftsman spent his life learning to make structures like this. Let's not be so careless, eh?" He then looks around at the others to see what kind of people his friend had brought together.

Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Mutt
    To Varis he says"I have to agree with Karghun only because my father helped build most everything in this town that's made from wood. He was a skilled carpenter. I bet you are capable of much more then entertaining and tossing blades or else you wouldn't be here.
    I for one have thouroughly enjoyed your performances."
    To Karghun he says "I doubt that's all you can contribute. Thank you for the quick repair friend."
    Last edited by zylodrizzt; 2017-09-11 at 04:26 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jarrak of Blackmoore

"I am Jarrak of Blackmoore, a sell-sword by trade. By necessity I'm a trained woodsman and hunter, though only enough to get by," he pauses then adds, "I also have some small skill at mending wounds."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Mutt
    To Jarrak"Jarrak was it? The wolf killer? I hope you put use to the wolves bodies paying them honor. Though I'm fairly sure it That situation could have been resolved with less bloodshed it proves your capable. I welcome your company and will enjoy hunting with you, just let's avoid killing more then nessarry."
    Last edited by zylodrizzt; 2017-09-11 at 09:38 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Martins eyes case shifting between the other diners and he raises to his feet, a warm smile across his face.

I'm Martin, I've not had wrestled with the foes quite as often as you lot have, but I've got my own tricks in any fight and I'm always ready to help when needed. My skills more in winning friends than winning fights here but I'll always have your back when I need it.

30. - Top - End - #30

Samani Claspshands
    Paladin 2

Samani takes a roll from the bowl and slices it in half. She spreads honey over the bread and hardly glances up from her plate as she speaks. It is, however, hardly a shy gesture.

"As our host said, I'm Watch Captain Samani Claspshands of Crowhame. No doubt most of you know what that entails." She looks up pointedly at the more roguish characters, "...some of you more than others. Regardless, I am not here for anything other than Galdren's mission, so nobody stand up."

She doesn't quite chuckle at the last statement. After the introduction, she turns back to Galdren, "I suppose that makes sense. Can't expect everyone to know the most important details, after all. Any recommendations on who we should talk to when we get to Oakwell?"
    Last edited by Scripten; 2017-09-12 at 09:11 AM.