New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: The Fragile Veil IC [Masks]

Trent gritted his teeth, his gaze dropping to the ground. He didn't like Armando's answer, and immediately regretted pushing that hard. He'd read once that a leader should never give an order that he didn't expect to be followed, and wondered if by asking that he'd pushed Armando over the edge.

He perked up at 'but I can't', and then there was the talk of contacting the dead. His mouth opened, and then he shut it again, thinking about what he was going to say. He took a bit of pizza, swallowed, and then started again.

"I ah... I was going to ask about something like that, actually." He swallowed again, feeling a little self conscious about admitting to having what amounted to voices in his head.

"Apparently, being the vessel of the Spirit of the Century means being hip-deep in dead dudes. I've got one at least going back to the 800s, trying to tell me to trust sketchy magic con-men. I was wondering if maybe you knew some meditation tricks that I could use to get in better contact with them. If I'm going to be doing stuff because the other Centurions want me to, I at least want to be able to ask them for straight answers."

Another bite, his slice was almost gone.

"Did Mestre say why doing that was verboten?"

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    [Danger: -2] [Freak: +0] [Savior: +2] [Superior: +2] [Mundane: +1]
    Potential = 0, Advances = 2
    Conditions: None
    Influence on: Solar Flare, Gravitas
    Playbook Moves: *Fight the good fight*; *Words of The Past*; *Never Give Up, Never Surrender*

Sanctuary: The Century Headquarters, with 'An aide or Assistant', 'a scattering of ancient relics' and 'useful tools', but 'location known to many' and 'easily damaged or tampered with'.
    Last edited by Pyrite; 2018-01-09 at 06:54 PM.
    "We have to go and save the universe, you see," Said Ford, "And if that sounds like a pretty lame excuse, than you may be right. Either way, we're off."--Douglas Adams

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

In response to Chama's comment, Glitch folds her arms and glares, although the latter is hidden by her mask. Looking at him through the eyeslits, she waits for the other to come up, tapping her feet impatiently. Should'a left more time, even if it is only a block over. As soon as Chama stops, she immediately starts to walk towards the park exit, turning slightly to make sure the other is following.

"So, uh, tell me about Michelle. I don't know anything about her, 'cept that she apparently texts random strangers." The question is useful, even excluding her obvious purpose, as it mollifies the nagging sensation of guilt at her own brusqueness.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Franka froze when Emma glided in through the hole in the dome like a beautiful angel of death, the true image of a Valkyrie. She realized that this must've been a trap set by Seven and her shadowy minions. And they had been so close to succeeding, she had almost ended Gravitas, influenced by their dark thoughts...or was it the training, the indoctrination still embedded in her subconsciousness speaking?

Gravitas said something, but Franka barely registered it, staring at her opponent and being lost in her thoughts. The moment, Emma started to move and charged Gravitas however, Franka snapped out of it and the warrior in her took over...act, don't think! Typical for Franka, she recklessly charged ahead, with little regard for her own safety. Emma lunged for Gravitas, intent on finishing off her beat down teammate, intercepting the tip of the spear with the palm of her hand, pushing through and almost splitting it in half. Venting her anger and pain with a cry, Franka knocked aside the spear, the flesh of her hand already healing and positioning herself between Gravitas and Emma like an angry mother bear.

"I may hate his guts, but if you want to him, you have to go through me first!"

4. - Top - End - #394
    Bugbear in the Playground

Solar Flare

You sail towards the device, your powers flaring, and easily scoop it up.

Firewing notices you take it, but doesn't seem particularly concerned. She watches as you grab the device and smirks.

"Ah, one of the hanger-ons. I was wondering if any of you would show up."

You fly towards the League and she gracefully steps out of the way, letting you pass without needing to do any tricks or trade any blows.

Goliath takes the device from you and easily crushes it in his hands. Now it's four-on-one, and Firewing has no toys. The League members tense, ready to jump in but still cautious about facing Firewing directly.

Firewing clicks her fingers and more fireballs blossom into existence. "A pity about that one, but they're cheap. EMP generators are a dime a dozen in this city."

Goliath grunts menacingly. "What do you want, mercenary? Why cause this chaos?"

The question just confuses her. "Why not? Chaos is humanity's crucible, superhero. It does such wonderful things to your brains."

Her phone beeps and with a flick of her wrist she creates a wall of fire separating your group and her. She pulls out her phone and quickly skims through whatever text she just received.

"I'd love to stay and chat, really I would, but my employer is reminding me that my lunch break is over. I'll leave you a parting gift."

The fire wall gets higher and more intense, and Firewing herself starts to burn up, erupting in flame. There is a flash, the smell of something smoldering, and then she's gone.

From the fire emerge two bird-shaped monsters made entirely of flame and energy. They soar, and the League springs into action. How are you going to help them?

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Attempting to interrupt her villain monologue would be bad form, but more importantly she won't let you, using flame walls to keep the heroes at bay.

---

Gravitas and Tank

Seven flies into the air, away from both of you, and replaces her broken spear with a blazing warhorn. She blows into it and a terrible battlecry emerges. The shockwave passes over the crowd of shadows and they shudder, which then sends a spike of pain into your heads.

Two shadows slip from the writhing mass and slowly take shape, forming into black-liquid wolves. The shadow wolves begin circling the two of you while the rest of the shadows watch.

Hunger radiates from the shadows. Hunger... and faint disapproval. They want blood, and they're not getting enough. Fight, fight, kill, kill. Make a feast for the wolves.

"Kill the boy. Leave the girl to me. You're going to useful to us, Nine. The master has need of valkyries, and the more there are the more we can afford to send into battle. In the end, all will serve the greater plan. Ragnarok is coming, sister."

Emma flies towards Tank, the horn discarded but her hands wreathed in light. The wolves turn on Gravitas and leap.

Show
    You're still at a -2 to Directly Engage the valkyrie, but the wolves are fair game.
    You both have the initiative. You can try and defend each other, or engage your enemies, or unleash your powers to fight them back. Failure here will result in a powerful blow for whoever can't hold off or punch through their opponent.
    Some kind of word-witch. She/her. Find more of my stuff at my new website!

5. - Top - End - #395
    Troll in the Playground

Gravitas
    Conditions: Angry, Guilty, Hopeless, Insecure.
    Burn: Two.

Magic, why did it have to be f**king magic?! Gravitas knew his own powers well enough that engaging ethereal shadow hounds would be near useless, as they weren't bound by the normal laws of physics, so instead he turned his attention on Franka's sister, Seven.

Frank had risked her life to protect him, had leapt to his aid, despite moments prior being poised on the verge of taking his life herself. He wasn't about to let this happen, everything they'd been through, every argument, every conflict, every fight. He felt it all rip through him, rip through his focus, and he lashed out, he threw his hand up and a wave of crushing force rolled off of him.

"Enough!"

It expanded out in the blink of an eye, while he and Franka remained unaffected at the epicenter. Concrete crashed and shattered is the expanding grav-wave slammed into it, the concrete rained down, dust and fist sized rubble, pipes behind the walls burst, spewing sewage and filth across the wreckage, the power flickered and with a final snap died, plunging the base and the surrounding area into darkness. The ceiling itself cracked and shattered, massive sections of the roof plunging down into the darkness, the chaos.

The grav wave had thrown Seven to the far wall, her body driven with such force it had ground the concrete behind her to dust. As the ceiling collapsed the rubble left her pinned, dazed. The loss of control had clearly taken Gravitas by surprise, he dropped to the ground, his hand outstretched feebly, however, the rubble was piled in a perimeter around Franka and himself, he'd protected them at least.

OOC: I am spending 1 Burn to activate Reality Storm; allowing me to Directly Engage with Freak rather than Danger. However, I am not expending a 2nd Burn, so I *will* cause unwanted Collateral Damage. Secondly, I am also going to attack in a terrifying manner, by cutting loose with my powers; choosing to mark Insecure, by doing so I can chose another option, even on a miss. Rolling Freak +2, -2 for Seven's aura, net +0. (2d6+0)[4].

Oh well, potential. I'll chose to mark Insecure, but for my one option, I'll choose create an opportunity for an ally.
    Hopefully allowing Franka to engage without a penalty, but we'll see.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2018-01-11 at 05:47 AM.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

After meeting with Chama

The conversation with Armando had left Trent with a lot to think about. But when his friend had excused himself for a prior engagement, there wasn't much for Trent to do other than head home.

At least, until he noticed the electromagnetic disturbance. He figured that as one of the few heroes with his particular type of radio detection, it was his job to check it out. He expected to find a transformer on the fritz or something. He did not expect to see Firewing.

Centurion had just turned the corner when he saw her in the distance, before the wall of flame shot up around her.

"Oh no you don't!" He shouted, pain and hate roughening his voice as he charged down the middle of the street toward her. He wasn't going to let a little fire keep him from delivering a little bit of payback.

He ran directly into the center of the burning ring of fire, and came out the other side.

Tumbling to a stop, he rose to one knee, looking at his empty arms that should have just tackled the villain who'd done her best to kill his friend. Finally his tunnel vision receded, and he started to take in the rest of the scene. The League, Solar Flare holding an electronic device, and monsters made of fire in the sky. He took in what was happening, and his mind kicked into overdrive to figure out what to do about it.

Show
    Assess the situation: (2d6+2)[10]

Two Questions: What here is in the greatest danger,
    How could we best end this quickly.

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    [Danger: -2] [Freak: +0] [Savior: +2] [Superior: +2] [Mundane: +1]
    Potential = 0, Advances = 2
    Conditions: None
    Influence on: Solar Flare, Gravitas
    Playbook Moves: *Fight the good fight*; *Words of The Past*; *Never Give Up, Never Surrender*

Sanctuary: The Century Headquarters, with 'An aide or Assistant', 'a scattering of ancient relics' and 'useful tools', but 'location known to many' and 'easily damaged or tampered with'.
    Last edited by Pyrite; 2018-01-11 at 03:30 PM.
    "We have to go and save the universe, you see," Said Ford, "And if that sounds like a pretty lame excuse, than you may be right. Either way, we're off."--Douglas Adams

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

Solar Flare didn't have time to be baffled about some of the things that Firewing said. Right now, he needs to worry about the two fire creatures he and the league heroes are faced against.

Acting fast, Solar Flare grabbed the longest piece of metal he could find close while using his density manipulation to make it lighter. He flies up to one of the flying fire creatures, and swings the long piece of metal at the head. And he uses his density manipulation again to make the impact of the hit even harder. He was so focused he didn't even notice Centurion arriving at the scene.

Show
    Action: Directly Engage a Threat

- Resist or avoid their blows

Roll: (2d6)[3]

Edit: Uh oh. This is not going to go well for Hayden.

+ 1 Potential (1/5)
    Last edited by Drakeburn; 2018-01-12 at 10:18 PM.