New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Incarnate Construct Warforged Half-Vampire... what? (3.5)

So I have a player explaining this as if his parents are a Vampire and an Incarnate Construct Warforged, he is taking them together at birth which applies both templates at the same time giving him a LA +0 from the +2 and -2 of both being applied simultaneously. Is this how this works? I'm having trouble finding anything regarding this so I don't want to say yes immediately but at the same time I don't want to just say no and stomp out the effort put into researching it in the first place.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Incarnate Construct Warforged Half-Vampire... what? (3.5)

You can't inherit Incarnate Construct from having an incarnate construct parent: it is an acquired template that is gained by having a spell cast on you. Half-vampire is inherited, and must come first.

This means that you can only be a half-vampire if you are a (monstrous) humanoid at the moment of birth, whereas you can only be an incarnate construct if you're a construct sometime after your birth. It might be possible to get both if you bend the rules a bit, but being both while also being a warforged is impossible without houseruling.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, if we're going just by the templates, an Incarnate Construct Anything is no longer actually a Construct. The type has changed to Humanoid (or Giant if Large or above). The thing you'd need to determine would be the stats of the base creature. For that, there is a crucial piece of the Incarnate Construct statblock that your player is forgetting.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Species p. 121
    Level Adjustment: -2 (minimum 0)
    Emphasis added. So the base creature has a level adjustment of 0. It's basically going to be a generic humanoid thing without the Warforged's slam attack, composite plating, or Living Construct traits (since that's a Special Quality that Incarnate Construct gets rid of); with penalties to Wisdom and Charisma but a bonus to Strength.

Half-Vampire is added on top of that, to get LA +2.
    Last edited by Telonius; 2017-09-22 at 06:54 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

You could be a half-vampire, get a half-golem graft, fail your save (become a construct), and be incarnated at that point. You'd gain extra LA from the half-golem template.

You could be the child of a vampire and an incarnate warforged, which would be close to a half-vampire dummy*, including half-vampire LA.

*Medium humanoid, 30' speed, no special abilities or qualities. Only interesting bit: warforged ability adjustments (probably?).
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Only let him do it if he plans to become a stealthy pirate- because then he'd be a ninja zombie (vampire is close enough) pirate robot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    Only let him do it if he plans to become a stealthy pirate- because then he'd be a ninja zombie (vampire is close enough) pirate robot.
    Oooh, and the Incarnate Warforged could contract Lycanthropy, so he'd be all that plus a werewolf!