New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Converting a line to a cone?

Good day everyone,

I have a supernatural (Su) touch range ability. One feat let's me turn it into a ray, and a second turns that ray into a line. Is there a feat or item that changes it to affect everyone in a cone or basically anything bigger than a line? The closest I can think of are meta-breath feats.

All help is appreciated. :)

To be specific, here are the feats:

Shining Ray
    Prerequisites: Turn to Gold class ability.
    Effect: You may now use your Turn to Gold and Golden Touch class abilities at a range of 10 feet. (In which case, these attacks count as a ray, they require a ranged touch attack instead of a touch attack.) You are not required to use this ability when you use those class abilities, which means that if you possess the Hand of Midas class ability, you do not turn everything within 10 ft. of you to gold.
    Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Each time, the maximum range of your ray increases by 10 feet.

Gilded Blast
    Prerequisites: Shining Ray.
    Effect: You may choose to use your Shining Ray attack as a line. The line has the same range as your ray attack. Enemies must make a reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 your HD + your charisma modifier) to avoid the attack. If they succeed on their save, they avoid the blast completely.
    Last edited by Scryangi; 2017-09-25 at 09:02 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Converting a line to a cone?

What's the precise ability, and what's its type (Su, Sp, Ex...)?
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Weren't there (eye?) lenses in some book that let you turn rays into cones?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    What's the precise ability, and what's its type (Su, Sp, Ex...)?
    Gosh you're right, I should have added that in. It is a Supernatural ability (Su).

More specifically, it's the main ability of the Golden Alchemist

It's main ability is a 1/day Hand of Midas touch that with 2 feats can be made into a 10ft line efffect. With that gold, it can then buy wands and scrolls. In a way, it's a lite version of the artificer, but merchant themed; you spend your offtime selling golden statues, purchasing items, and tend to be able to whip out every low cost item in the game a few times per day. It is a unique and fun class.
    Last edited by Scryangi; 2017-09-24 at 12:38 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scryangi View Post
    Gosh you're right, I should have added that in. It is a Supernatural ability (Su).

More specifically, it's the main ability of the Golden Alchemist

It's main ability is a 1/day Hand of Midas touch that with 2 feats can be made into a 10ft line efffect. With that gold, it can then buy wands and scrolls. In a way, it's a lite version of the artificer, but merchant themed; you spend your offtime selling golden statues, purchasing items, and tend to be able to whip out every low cost item in the game a few times per day. It is a unique and fun class.
    Generally lines are twice as long as cones so that would turn from a 10ft line to a 5ft cone even if you could pull it off. Thats...not very good.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Remuko View Post
    Generally lines are twice as long as cones so that would turn from a 10ft line to a 5ft cone even if you could pull it off. Thats...not very good.
    Good luck trying to have enemies nicely line up. Cones tend to hit more enemies, such as when they rush at me, the poor support archer.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Good luck trying to have enemies nicely line up. Cones tend to hit more enemies, such as when they rush at me, the poor support archer.
    I think what they're saying is that a 5ft cone is a square.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Esprit15 View Post
    I think what they're saying is that a 5ft cone is a square.
    Oh, that. Correct. Every time I take a feat, I add 10ft to my ray's length, and other than the basic Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot combo, and perhaps Wand Mastery and Improved Initiative, those are all I am going to take. Without the infusion and metamagic cheese of a true Artificer, there just isn't a lot for me to do other than Sculpt Self. Now the roleplay aspect on the other hand... :3
    Last edited by Scryangi; 2017-09-25 at 11:39 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

There is a spell in dragon magazine #308 that can be cast to turn a line effect into a cone effect. I don't remember the exact name though, will need to look when I have access to my books.

EDIT: The spell is deadly spray, a 3rd-level cleric and sorc/wiz spell. It lasts 1 minute per caster level, and during its duration, any effect the caster uses that would make a line (yes, any effect) can be a cone of the same length instead. Casting it requires either dragon type or the Dragon Magic feat, which requires Int 13 and Cha 15.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    There is a spell in dragon magazine #308 that can be cast to turn a line effect into a cone effect. I don't remember the exact name though, will need to look when I have access to my books.

EDIT: The spell is deadly spray, a 3rd-level cleric and sorc/wiz spell. It lasts 1 minute per caster level, and during its duration, any effect the caster uses that would make a line (yes, any effect) can be a cone of the same length instead. Casting it requires either dragon type or the Dragon Magic feat, which requires Int 13 and Cha 15.
    That could be made into a wand or perhaps an item. Thank you.

It's a bit strange how lacking support for Supernatural Abilities is. Other than Tome of Magic I couldn't find anything.

*Edit*

I found the Dragon Magazine you were looking for. It's number 308, page 20.

https://docslide.net/documents/dragon-magazine-308.html
    Last edited by Scryangi; 2017-09-25 at 03:29 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

ON the other hand, supes also don't suffer many of the drawbacks of other ability types.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    Weren't there (eye?) lenses in some book that let you turn rays into cones?
    Lens of Ray Widening, Lords of Madness p. 46. Not cheap, though... 32,000 GP.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Plus, that converts RAYS to cones, not lines.

Otherwise, the Ray Coning feat would have been an option.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Plus, that converts RAYS to cones, not lines.

Otherwise, the Ray Coning feat would have been an option.
    Given that I need a feat to turn it from ranged touch into a line, this would actually be better. Too bad it's for spells, not Su.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

You should probably edit your first post to reflect that, as it is significant! As it stands, it's a bit of an X/Y question.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Given that I need a feat to turn it from ranged touch into a line, this would actually be better. Too bad it's for spells, not Su.
    Lens of Ray Widening does work with (Su), as it's designed to work with the beholder's eye rays, and those are a Supernatural ability.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    You should probably edit your first post to reflect that, as it is significant! As it stands, it's a bit of an X/Y question.
    I did now. I thought I had been keeping it simple but I guess the devil is in the details.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Lens of Ray Widening does work with (Su), as it's designed to work with the beholder's eye rays, and those are a Supernatural ability.
    The part that kills the Lens is that you only get nine uses out of it before it breaks. Well, probably. The Lens of Ray Chaining only works nine times, and then the Lens of Ray Widening functions "as the Lens of Ray Chaining" and doesn't say that it doesn't break, so here we are.

I think you might technically be able to get away with using Rebuild Item on it, but that requires having a Truenamer of level 11 or higher hanging around close enough to touch the Lens within one round of it breaking. Not a trivial endeavor in most parties.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I think you might technically be able to get away with using Rebuild Item on it, but that requires having a Truenamer of level 11 or higher hanging around close enough to touch the Lens within one round of it breaking. Not a trivial endeavor in most parties.
    Leadership, perhaps?
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!