New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Days of Our Inhumans

So, I just watched the first hour of the new Inhumans miniseries. Or series? I’m not really sure, and I quit watching because I was just plain bored.

I never knew much about the Inhumans, apart from their entry in the old Marvel Universe, so I went into this without any more background than you’d get from watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. So at least I understood the references to terrigenesis, and knew what was going on with the blue crystals, transformations, etc. etc.

But, gawd. The first five minutes was like watching some X-Men fan project (“I’m a freak!” “No, there are many of us in a place where you’ll be safe!”) and for the next hour I kept waiting for a character I cared about. The closest I ever came was Lockjaw—and I’m a cat person. (Also, didn’t he talk in the original comics?)

Granted, I haven’t watched the entire premiere; but the first hour seemed like a bad soap opera with all the plot points ticking on by. Presumably this was filmed on location in Hawaii, and the scenery was absolutely gorgeous; and yet even that wasn’t enough to make up for…well, everything else.

I suppose I’ll catch the second part at some point, but the first hour didn’t even meet my very low expectations, so I’m not going to rush. Not even if Lockjaw starts talking. (Or was he just telepathic?)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Days of Our Inhumans

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but maybe my expectations were just really low after hearing all of the negative reviews on it.

It felt like it was taking itself too seriously. Too many slow-mo shots and dramatic chords. Some of the acting was really hit or miss, too.

They also did a really poor job of explaining anyone's powers. As someone who hasn't read the comics, I was pretty lost on what most of them can do.

And even though Not-Ramsay is portrayed as the bad guy, he said a lot of stuff that made sense. The good guys are bigoted and exploit their own people, but they are good guys because the show says they are good guys. And Not-Ramsay is bad, because he opposes them.

But then again, the showrunner is the same guy who did Iron Fist, so...I guess it could be worse?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by JadedDM
    And even though Not-Ramsay is portrayed as the bad guy, he said a lot of stuff that made sense.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, that occurred to me also. Attilan is in a no-win situation, especially if the (former) official policy was to bring in as many of the new, “unauthorized” Inhumans as possible. What Maximus said did make sense—Earth has tremendous resources and space—although he never really went into how they would deal with seven billion current occupants.

The good guys are bigoted and exploit their own people, but they are good guys because the show says they are good guys. And Not-Ramsay is bad, because he opposes them.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, he’s a sleazebag, because he came onto his brother’s wife while she was still queen. Also a murderer who had their leading geneticist killed for not having vision, or wisdom, or whatever the excuse was for killing someone who didn’t immediately bow down to him. Presumably there were others killed during his coup, since he tried to take out the entire ruling family.

And apparently he had the humans in Hawaii shooting Earthborn Inhumans as well? I gave up before that was explained, if it ever was, but it did seem like he was directing the ones that killed Triton.

...Some of the acting was really hit or miss, too.

They also did a really poor job of explaining anyone's powers. As someone who hasn't read the comics, I was pretty lost on what most of them can do.
    They did a terrible job of explaining anything. I grew up reading Marvel Comics, but if I hadn't watched all four seasons of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I would've been completely, thoroughly lost.

And much of the acting was soap-opera bad, especially Princess Poutyface. Seriously, the dog is the only character I really warmed to.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    And even though Not-Ramsay is portrayed as the bad guy, he said a lot of stuff that made sense. The good guys are bigoted and exploit their own people, but they are good guys because the show says they are good guys. And Not-Ramsay is bad, because he opposes them.
    Well yes. Attilan is a genetic dictatorship where the inferior and powerless are disenfranchised in favour of a monarchy with the monopoly on superpowered force.

Maximus, frankly, has something of a point.

Also, cancel Inhumans, make Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers TV show.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Does anyone care to speculate why Terragenesis looks different in this show than in SHIELD? No stoneskin, I mean. Is that because the Attilan's crystals are more refined or something, or was this just a detail the writers forgot or just didn't want to deal with?

Spoiler: Maximus
    Show
    If it turns out Maximus is actually a hypocrite who doesn't care about equality and just wants power, I'm going to be super disappointed. I'm worried that's what is going to happen, thus negating any sort of nuance in the show, and suggesting that Maximus' points should be invalid because he's EVIL.

Also, what IS Lockjaw? The show doesn't mention it, but maybe the comics do, but is he like...a dog that the Kree experimented on, a sort of Inhuman dog (an Incanine)? Is he the only one of his kind or is this a common practice of having animals with powers?
    Last edited by JadedDM; 2017-09-30 at 12:44 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm unfamiliar with the inhuman comics, so for me all the characters are new.

After the first episode, I do have a couple of things I wonder about:

1) Is it just me or is the concept very similar to DCs Aquaman plot line?

2) Why a base on the moon?
    The maintenance of this base can't make it better than hiding somewhere on earth.

3) Other than with the teleporting dog, how do they get to earth and back so fast?
    And if they do have the ability to move freely, why is there a resource problem at all?

4) Am I supposed to believe that a rover from earth accidentally stumbled on the base?
    One base on the entire moon?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Not as bad as I thought because I heard it was "unwatchable".

Duh, Inhumans are Disney-Marvels X-Men because Fox has the rights to the X-Men. I thought that was obvious from AoS.

I'll give it a few episodes. Still not as bad as the CWs DC Time Traveling Suicide Squad show (Heroes of Tomorrow???). Or like 90% of live action DC stuff.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Well yes. Attilan is a genetic dictatorship where the inferior and powerless are disenfranchised in favour of a monarchy with the monopoly on superpowered force.

Maximus, frankly, has something of a point.

Also, cancel Inhumans, make Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers TV show.
    Hmmm, reminded me of the Tau except those blue imperialists are good guys, at least their "second class" citizens (which are better treated than Imperium) and not using military at first sight.
    And Space Marines, particularly Space Wolves since they turn into furries. Like weeding out the weaks, need specific stuff to transform but have high failure rate, and dictatorship when it comes to local populace.
    Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    I'm unfamiliar with the inhuman comics, so for me all the characters are new.

After the first episode, I do have a couple of things I wonder about:

The maintenance of this base can't make it better than hiding somewhere on earth.

3) Other than with the teleporting dog, how do they get to earth and back so fast?
    And if they do have the ability to move freely, why is there a resource problem at all?

4) Am I supposed to believe that a rover from earth accidentally stumbled on the base?
    Well, not a moon base but rather "an anomaly area where this part of the moon has atmosphere due to some blue fascist magic".
    Also ignoring one speculation that Lockjaw is formerly a humanoid who turned into a dog.
    Last edited by t209; 2017-09-30 at 04:25 PM.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, Auran managed to get down to Earth via that stone wall guy.

I am curious how they got on the moon in the first place. My first guess is that the Kree set it up, but why would they do that?

Also ignoring one speculation that Lockjaw is formerly a humanoid who turned into a dog.
    Oh, man. I didn't even consider that. That's pretty messed up if true.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, Auran managed to get down to Earth via that stone wall guy.

I am curious how they got on the moon in the first place. My first guess is that the Kree set it up, but why would they do that?

Oh, man. I didn't even consider that. That's pretty messed up if true.
    Well, that depends if it was true or a story to scare off Quick Silver to not get his daughter gassed in one story.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

So, there are basically two factions.
    One that chooses to stay on the moon despite having limited resources, and risks bringing even more people from earth.
    The other wishes to reclaim earth.
    Both factions consider themselves to be superior to humans without powers, despite having very minimal knowledge about earth (besides a TV that is apparently tuned only to "death and destruction news channel")

It seems to me that regardless of the side they are on, everyone would benefit from going to earth more often, and they had the ability to do so (at least before the rebellion).
    The first group could get the missing resources with relative ease, and with a little planning they could do so even without being seen.
    The second could see that inferior or not, earth is not something you could take with a thousand people, even if they have powers they pose minimal threat to earth.
    Heck, there should be a third group that wants to teleport everyone to a remote piece of land and just live there.
    Maybe even a fourth that wants to make contact with the people of earth. Sure, they would be less popular because of the recent events against inhumans, but the opinion should at least exist.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I haven't seen the new show, but I can confirm that Lockjaw is an Inhuman. Most, if not all, Inhumans transform physically during terragenesis. The show is downplaying this aspect because money, but not all Inhumans have useful mutations. Some just die during terragenesis.

Now ofcourse there's a remedy for this. Inhuman scientists determine if you are genetically fit to undergo terragenesis. If you're not, no terragenesis for you. I think they also experiment with eugenics to decrease such risks.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    Not as bad as I thought because I heard it was "unwatchable".

Duh, Inhumans are Disney-Marvels X-Men because Fox has the rights to the X-Men. I thought that was obvious from AoS.

I'll give it a few episodes. Still not as bad as the CWs DC Time Traveling Suicide Squad show (Heroes of Tomorrow???). Or like 90% of live action DC stuff.
    Legends of Tomorrow has terrible terrible hackneyed plots (and premise). And is unwatcheable if you take it even remotely serious.

BUT: it has good to great Characters (which most of the time actually STAY in character for a change^^) and good humor. So if thats ones shtick, its very watcheable.

Also: as a one time Inhuimans Fan: I really hope it is not as bad as it seems, its not airing over here yet.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_david View Post
    Now ofcourse there's a remedy for this. Inhuman scientists determine if you are genetically fit to undergo terragenesis. If you're not, no terragenesis for you. I think they also experiment with eugenics to decrease such risks.
    Now you just justify one of my peeve with "launching magic fart gas on Earth". Not bothering to "what about the NuHumans who would turn into blobs" like Inferno's family members?
    So, there are basically two factions.
    One that chooses to stay on the moon despite having limited resources, and risks bringing even more people from earth.
    The other wishes to reclaim earth.
    Both factions consider themselves to be superior to humans without powers, despite having very minimal knowledge about earth (besides a TV that is apparently tuned only to "death and destruction news channel")

It seems to me that regardless of the side they are on, everyone would benefit from going to earth more often, and they had the ability to do so (at least before the rebellion).
    The first group could get the missing resources with relative ease, and with a little planning they could do so even without being seen.
    The second could see that inferior or not, earth is not something you could take with a thousand people, even if they have powers they pose minimal threat to earth.
    Heck, there should be a third group that wants to teleport everyone to a remote piece of land and just live there.
    Maybe even a fourth that wants to make contact with the people of earth. Sure, they would be less popular because of the recent events against inhumans, but the opinion should at least exist.
    Hilariously, this was what Fantastic Four's job when they actually existed. They actually reminded why slavery and caste system is bad, even hooking them up with UN too.
    That and Maximus' psychotic nature (absent on TV) possibly result of cousin-on-cousin action. I also think that Medusa's secret son also inherited his uncle's crazy too.
    Last edited by t209; 2017-10-01 at 05:14 PM.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I haven't checked out whatever was aired; but I went to IMAX. I liked the characterization. It was cheesy and boring for cinema standars, of course; but it's far from deserving all the crap it got on reviews.

1) Honestly, the plotline is very standard. They just played it safe. Probably too safe; but given Inhuman's aren't all that popular, it's probably less of a miss.

2)They were always on the Moon (ever since Captain America, I mean). IIRC, they were once on Earth but had to go to the Moon for reasons. Canonically, their resources are practically limitless, because of the awesome technology and powers they have (they tend to have better powers than the average mutant because of the eugenics).

3)They have other meanings of course, but they are obviously regulated to prevent Inhumans inadvertently going to Earth. I don't think they are following the comics on this one tho; teleportation will be limited as long as the plot needs it to (like every other piece of fiction does).

4)Yes. Because it's Marvel's Inhumans, not History Channel's Vikings.

I'm not surprised Maximus was presented as having a fair point. I have my theory about why the writers chose that and if so, it might work. I mean, after all
    Spoiler: Don't read this if you know nothing about Maximus
    Show
    His powers are very hard to convey for TV
    (sic)

My English non trčs bueno, da? CALL: 0800-BADGRINGO

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

yuk Re: Days of Our Inhumans

My thoughts on Inhumans can be summed up thusly:

That was so terrible I think you gave me cancer!

God, everything is just ... awful. The acting is bad, the action is bad, the CGI is bad, the dialogue is godawful and the plot is mind-numbingly stupid, even down to the minor details.

Why does Black Bolt have a communication device that relies on him speech? Why did Lockjaw teleport Black Bolt to a friggin’ intersection? How can Medusa know what cars are but Black Bolt be shocked by an iPhone? Why doesn’t he understand the basic concept of commerce? Why would a $40 million lunar rover even be exploring the moon? (WE KNOW WHAT’S ON THE SURFACE OF THE MOON.)

And why are the main characters such jerks? It seems astounding that no one involved in this debacle didn’t realize how thoroughly unlikeable they are. If anything, I’m cheering for Maximus. At one point, Crystal says to Maximus: “You make me sick. You’re just a human.”

Oh yeah, I definitely want to root for these people to win.

And oh my God, are these characters ever weaksauce compared to their comic counterparts. Black Bolt is one of Marvel’s powerhouses, for God’s sake. Here, he gets a beat down from several regular human cops.

My final opinion? Cancel the whole project, burn the footage and pretend it never happened.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-10-03 at 12:55 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

To make matters, they tried to do "Inhumans as not!X-Men" in comics.
    Then the series went in different direction.
    And the fact that Perlmutter keep pushing into spotlight without any thought did hurt alot.
    edit: And the fact that Maximus' insanity can provide a reason why Inhumans should open up. Lack of outside genes are killing their brains. That and Fantastic Four to remind them why caste system is bad.
    Last edited by t209; 2017-10-02 at 11:39 PM.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

I liked what little I saw of it :X (like 2 to 4 minutes of it maybe less?)

I have such low standards.
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2017-10-03 at 04:25 AM.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Colossus in the Playground

I mean, the basic plotline could go somewhere, but a lot of the details are really, really stupid. And I would't want the main character to win. At least not without several episodes where they get repeatedly beaten down brutally and change their opinions and characters radically. Tragic redemption story lines. Which I doubt will happen.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

20. - Top - End - #20

One of the common themes I've seen on the net is that this should be the mid-season finale, the culmination of several weeks of development. Really, this series only makes sense if the studio figured everyone did a wikiwalk to get the basics.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    One of the common themes I've seen on the net is that this should be the mid-season finale, the culmination of several weeks of development. Really, this series only makes sense if the studio figured everyone did a wikiwalk to get the basics.
    What? Scott Buck made a rushed bad TV show?

Say it ain't so.

22. - Top - End - #22

Well, to be fair to Buck he did inherit a bastard orphan with an unknown amount of work baked in by Ike Perlmutter (Medusa getting shorn is vintage Ike, BTW. He likes disempowering females.) and others.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by joeltion View Post
    I haven't checked out whatever was aired; but I went to IMAX. I liked the characterization. It was cheesy and boring for cinema standars, of course; but it's far from deserving all the crap it got on reviews.

1) Honestly, the plotline is very standard. They just played it safe. Probably too safe; but given Inhuman's aren't all that popular, it's probably less of a miss.
    Exactly the opposite.
    If it was a well known franchise, they could play it safe and rely on the popularity of the characters.
    But as someone who does not know the comic it is based on, it looks like too many other things without anything unique, which leaves me with the question "why watch it?"

2)They were always on the Moon (ever since Captain America, I mean). IIRC, they were once on Earth but had to go to the Moon for reasons. Canonically, their resources are practically limitless, because of the awesome technology and powers they have (they tend to have better powers than the average mutant because of the eugenics).
    Maybe in the comic, but in the TV show it was made as a big deal to not bring more inhumans due to risk of limited resources (or a similar excuse).

3)They have other meanings of course, but they are obviously regulated to prevent Inhumans inadvertently going to Earth. I don't think they are following the comics on this one tho; teleportation will be limited as long as the plot needs it to (like every other piece of fiction does).
    No argument about being different or about some other ways.
    But again, in the TV show, what's the problem with the resources if they can just teleport to earth and take what they need?
    Better yet, grow a colony in a remote place.

4)Yes. Because it's Marvel's Inhumans, not History Channel's Vikings.
    Of course it's a sci-fi tv show.
    That's why I accept superpowers and bases on the moon without questioning it.
    But when something happens that hurts the internal logic of the story, that's a different matter.

Storywise, the only purpose of this whole part of the story was to get a very specific scientist fired.
    The amazing coincidences that were required for this to happen are just too hard to swallow, especially on a first episode.

(although I have to admit, I've seen worse in other shows)

All things considered, I don't think it's a horrible show, but it just isn't good enough.
    It doesn't bring anything new for newcomers, doesn't seem to satisfy the majority of the comic fans, relatively low budget to make good effects, and no great story to make up for it.

In a way, being nothing special both for good and bad might be the show's greatest sin.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_david View Post
    I haven't seen the new show, but I can confirm that Lockjaw is an Inhuman. Most, if not all, Inhumans transform physically during terragenesis. The show is downplaying this aspect because money, but not all Inhumans have useful mutations. Some just die during terragenesis.

The show isn't 100% tracking the comics though. We have yet to see Inhumans die during terragenesis.

This is an interesting point. Most of the audience simply doesn't know these characters yet, and yet they really don't give us enough of an introduction.

Well, to be fair to Buck he did inherit a bastard orphan with an unknown amount of work baked in by Ike Perlmutter (Medusa getting shorn is vintage Ike, BTW. He likes disempowering females.) and others.
    I definitely see similar problems to Iron Fist. I don't know Perlmutter and what I look up tells me he is on the business side rather than the content production side.

Medusa's hair scene didn't seem to have any purpose. Medusa sans hair is not really "disempowered," she gets right back to escape and shows she is still lethal. The hair-cut scene was one of the worse scenes of the show, partly because it is simply gratiutious.

On the other hand, Princess Crystal looks like she's turning to Maximus's side, and that seems like the (only) interesting thing they left us with. The fact that we can understand Maximus's politics and why Crystal might join him is a major head-scratcher on this show.

Exactly the opposite.
    If it was a well known franchise, they could play it safe and rely on the popularity of the characters.
    But as someone who does not know the comic it is based on, it looks like too many other things without anything unique, which leaves me with the question "why watch it?"

In a way, being nothing special both for good and bad might be the show's greatest sin.
    Actually, telling the Inhuman story pretty true to the comic, with all the flaws of the Inhuman society caste system, is pretty risky. It just doesn't seem to pay off.

If we had very appealling characters and interactions perhaps we can excuse that their politics makes no sense to us, except what Maximus is saying, but then Maximus is a bad guy because he does bad guy things.

The good guys are good, however, because...we don't really get a reason for why we should root for the protagonists.

There's a lot that can be done with great acting and character interactions to make up for a pretty lousy script. However, here, the main protagonist is mute, and all the characters are scattered and don't get to interact much together, except for a few scenes where they show very little chemistry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Actually, telling the Inhuman story pretty true to the comic, with all the flaws of the Inhuman society caste system, is pretty risky. It just doesn't seem to pay off.

If we had very appealling characters and interactions perhaps we can excuse that their politics makes no sense to us, except what Maximus is saying, but then Maximus is a bad guy because he does bad guy things.

The good guys are good, however, because...we don't really get a reason for why we should root for the protagonists.

There's a lot that can be done with great acting and character interactions to make up for a pretty lousy script. However, here, the main protagonist is mute, and all the characters are scattered and don't get to interact much together, except for a few scenes where they show very little chemistry.
    Well, they did erased Maximus' craziness for some reason. It could give another reason why Inhumans need to be less isolationist, their genepool is eating their brain and Black Bolt and Medusa are cousins.

Spoiler: Spoiler for some reason, because noone reads comics that somehow try to deviate but ended up not being used
    Show
    Maximus' mind control power not being shown since because something something.

And the fact that lack of Fantastic Four to counter or even reform didn't help. Imagine Tau Empire with their caste system and accusation of castration on non-Tau, but without their redeemable aspect like treating "second class citizens" better and one of least evil factions in universe.
    For Perlmutter, he kinda push out Black Widown from souvenirs, keep trying to make Inhumans relevant in disastroud manners for disastrous shows, and not trying to make animated series palatable (even Spiderman 2017 series still don't get idea to not make MCU 2.0, but also decided to shove in many side characters and not trying to be mature).
    Last edited by t209; 2017-10-03 at 07:46 PM.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

26. - Top - End - #26

SamuraiGuy

Exactly the opposite.
    No, by "playing it safe" I meant they tried to write a pretty much standard plot to get you focused on getting to know the character. I didn't meant to say the producers did a great job or anything, but if I had a bunch of J.D.'s, I would also try to focus on their traits more than starting with a convoluted plot. Most stories in fantasy get more convoluted after you know the characters.

Maybe in the comic, but in the TV show it was made as a big deal to not bring more inhumans due to risk of limited resources (or a similar excuse).
    That's what the audience knows. Which doesn't mean the actual reason isn't entirely different. After all, there was a Inhuman community living on Earth. The Moon base is probably more of a safe heaven or something. Or maybe the royal family is just playing Gods of Olympus. Who knows. Point being, the resources are pretty much all the reason the peasants were ever given.

No argument about being different or about some other ways.
    But again, in the TV show, what's the problem with the resources if they can just teleport to earth and take what they need?
    Better yet, grow a colony in a remote place.
    They are as remotely from Earth as it's possible without totally escaping it's sphere of influence. But anyway, they didn't tell yet what was the "resource" they were short on. Or why they have a coal mine, on the less likely place to get any kind of ore. I think that's also something that was never on the comics.

Of course it's a sci-fi tv show.
    That's why I accept superpowers and bases on the moon without questioning it.
    But when something happens that hurts the internal logic of the story, that's a different matter.
    Nah, it doesn't hurt any "internal" logic. If anything, it hurts "our" logic, because we currently have no reason to have rovers there. That doesn't mean for their world the Government has no reason to send some. This is a world that is already aware that aliens exists and there's also the line AoS hinted at the end of last season.
    Spoiler: AoS
    Show
    They will probably become a branch of S.W.O.R.D., the S.H.I.E.L.D. faction that deals with E.T. issues

I don't see the way the rover damages consistency at all. What I meant by saying this wasn't a historical series, is that they don't have to stick to any plausibility at all with the real world; and that being a work of fantasy, "coincidences" are pretty much a required trope (it's older than Tolkien).

Storywise, the only purpose of this whole part of the story was to get a very specific scientist fired.
    We don't know that. Humans know about Inhumans, but they don't suspect about a base on the moon (that we know). It may be foreshadowing. Addmittedly, not the best, but like you said; it's not the worst either.

All things considered, I don't think it's a horrible show, but it just isn't good enough.
    It doesn't bring anything new for newcomers, doesn't seem to satisfy the majority of the comic fans, relatively low budget to make good effects, and no great story to make up for it.

I share this opinion. What I don't get is how much praise objectively worse series got in the past (and they still have some), and why this one gets so much hassle. I would find it less puzzling if all WB series were cancelled just like that. Okay, just Gotham. Please?

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Well, they did erased Maximus' craziness for some reason. It could give another reason why Inhumans need to be less isolationist, their genepool is eating their brain and Black Bolt and Medusa are cousins.
    Spoiler: Spoiler for some reason, because noone reads comics that somehow try to deviate but ended up not being used
    Show
    Maximus' mind control power not being shown since because something something.
    About him being mad, they obviously traded that for a creepy stalker-like trait towards the female royal cast.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think we haven't seen the effect of Maximus powers already. He looks way too much convincing and already has some followers around. I think they are aiming for a big "surprise!" moment, but that's probably not gonna work. I also think the writters put a lot of effort in making Maximus look like the good guy. It smells too much like Red Herring to me. A pretty foul one
    (sic)

My English non trčs bueno, da? CALL: 0800-BADGRINGO

27. - Top - End - #27

I feel like Black Bolt not being able to talk and being a major character is going to get old fast. I know it is comic accurate, but I also know he exists in a world with power inhibitors that could be used to control his power. I mean the Inhumans have that fancy communication tech, force field tech, cloaking for a whole city, and they never thought to invent something to suppress the powers of individuals who can't control their powers or suppress the powers of criminals? Again, I get it, comics don't do logic well. This show isn't and doesn't have to be 100% faithful to the comics though. Maybe they could play it up and Black Bolt isn't comfortable trusting the inhibitor to work so he only uses it to speak when it is vital or something. I don't know, at the very least they could give him subtitles when he uses sign language so all of us that don't know sign language can understand. There will be times when Medusa isn't there to translate or there is no reason for her to repeat what he said.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by leafman View Post
    I feel like Black Bolt not being able to talk and being a major character is going to get old fast. I know it is comic accurate, but I also know he exists in a world with power inhibitors that could be used to control his power. I mean the Inhumans have that fancy communication tech, force field tech, cloaking for a whole city, and they never thought to invent something to suppress the powers of individuals who can't control their powers or suppress the powers of criminals? Again, I get it, comics don't do logic well. This show isn't and doesn't have to be 100% faithful to the comics though. Maybe they could play it up and Black Bolt isn't comfortable trusting the inhibitor to work so he only uses it to speak when it is vital or something. I don't know, at the very least they could give him subtitles when he uses sign language so all of us that don't know sign language can understand. There will be times when Medusa isn't there to translate or there is no reason for her to repeat what he said.
    Even knowing sign language doesn't help because they use a made up sign language.
    Their reasoning was that they never had contact with anyone on earth, so they don't have a reason to use any of the known signs on earth.
    Of course, the same can be said about the English language, so it could be just laziness...

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

So have him run into a telepath or better yet the new Ms Marvel!😉
    Now he has someone to help him cope and realise that whilst Maximus is using this to gain power Black Bolt can start the reforms to demonstrate he's the better leader actually learning whilst his brother just wants power!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Third episode was slightly better than the first ones.
    I liked the part with Gorgon and the surfers.

Still, the more flashbacks I see of the past, the less I sympathize with the heroes.
    I know that the arc is supposed to be that they learn stuff from humility after losing everything, but I can't stop feeling that they currently still fight to get what they think they deserve more than to save their people.

Also, the flashback with the two brothers was unintentionally hilarious:
    "I wish I could be king. If he dies, will I become king?"
    Yep, no alarm bells here, better take that boy to the side and tell him he is inferior so he will never be king no matter what...