New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Default [3.5] Archer/Bow-wielder build help

I'm building a ranged-dps backup character in the event that my character dies in my friend's current campaign (even likelihood). Currently the party is composed of a half-ogre barbarian (rage monster), a wizard (la +1), druid, barbarian, artificer (me, fleshwarping focous), a cloistered cleric, and factotem.
    We'll be going up against some nasty baddies and while ranger/fighter/non-magic ranged isnt as op as the party. I'd still like to play such a character in the event my current one bites the dust.
    I'm not too knowledgeable on the ranger class, I've seen how people say to multiclass with the scout but I've never been too draw to the ranger class. Their fluff and abilities are not my point if interest.
    Meanwhile, i find just as little ranged fighter guides and tips.
    I would like to dish out decent damage. I'll probably play a human with the half-dragon template. Push my age to about 150 for the bonuses to int, wis, and cha.
    Flaws and traits are on the table, but were only allowed two traits and one flaw (which the dm picks).
    I'd prefer to use a bow for thematic reasons. Heavy armor is nice but not needed. I'm unsure about any varient features or that mean feats.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Archer/Bow-wielder build help

So, you're looking for an archer who's not a Ranger/Scout Swift Hunter type... let's see... other classic options include Soulknife/Soulbow builds (Shiba Protector for double Wis to attack and damage optional), Totemists using the Manticore Belt bind, Bards or Paladins using Dragonfire Inspiration, Warblade/Bloodstorm Blade throwers...
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

3. - Top - End - #3

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: [3.5] Archer/Bow-wielder build help

If you are looking for a ranger with slightly higher power level, consider Mystic Ranger from Dragon Magazine. You keep your full BAB, but also get a much faster spell progression which is very useful. If you then take Sword of the Arcane Order, you can also prepare Wizard spells in your Ranger spell slots, giving you all the buffs you need.

Here is what I would do:
    1. Be an Outsider
    2. Invest in two Sizing, Splitting bows
    3. (Draconic) Polymorph into an Arrow Demon
    4. Profit! Enjoy your 4 arrows per shot!

There are several ways to Persist Draconic Polymorph to make it last all day if you want to always have access to this. :)
    Last edited by Rebel7284; 2017-10-02 at 10:19 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Barbarian 1/Targeteer Fighter 1/Ranger 2/Warblade 6/Eternal Blade 10 is great. Pick up Rapid Shot, Arrow Swarm, Dancing Mongoose, Raging Mongoose and Time Stands Still and rain massive barrages of arrows upon your enemies.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Does it needs to be a bow build or how about a ranged throwing build?

Bloodstorm Blade (4 lvl dip) enables you to full attack with your melee weapon as ranged weapon and let it count back as melee again^^. This enables ranged ubercharger builds.

Have a look at my signature builds. ShurikenNado and Hammerdin of Moradin are ranged uberchargers.

Another approach with BSB is my Arcane Channeling build which is focused on Shivering Thouch and ranged Whirlwind. But the build kicks in late. But beware, when it kicks in it can be pretty annoying (for your DM and partymembers) when you wipe out almost anything in your range in a single round.

If you are fine with throwing, you can get pretty strong builds imho.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Why not play as an archerficer?
    Artificer makes for a way better archer just persisting divine power and heroics, all the ranger spells, and sprinkling in stuff like wraith strike, celerity.

They also get their infusions far faster than ranger gets spells.

Artificer is actually the best choice for archer...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMVerdandi View Post
    Why not play as an archerficer?
    Artificer makes for a way better archer just persisting divine power and heroics, all the ranger spells, and sprinkling in stuff like wraith strike, celerity.

They also get their infusions far faster than ranger gets spells.

Artificer is actually the best choice for archer...
    Doesn't an Artificer need down time in order to be strong?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BloodSnake'sCha View Post
    Doesn't an Artificer need down time in order to be strong?
    They don't have to; they can rock persistomancy with infusions alone. Spell-Storing Item lets them cast any spell of up to 4th level for a tiny amount of experience (and later, Concurrent Infusions lets them do it for free), and Metamagic Item lets them add Persistent Spell.

EDIT:

For a simple-but-effective archer, I'd go with a Bard. Go for a draconic race like Silverbrow Human (Dragon Magic) and grab Point-Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, and Dragonfire Inspiration (Dragon Magic). Pick up Inspirational Boost (CAdv/SpC) with a spell, trade Suggestion for Song of the Heart (Eberron Campaign Setting), and buy a Badge of Valor (MiC) or two, all in the name of boosting Inspire Courage. (If Tome of Battle is available, look into Song of the White Raven, but it isn't necessary.) At the start of the battle, activate Dragonfire Inspiration and cast Inspirational Boost; activate a Badge the next turn, and you'll be rocking five or six d6 of fire damage on every attack. While you're at it, a Bow of Songs gives you ranged smiting, and a Crystal Echoblade gives you more bonus damage while performing-- you can ask about getting that enchantment on a bow instead.

If you want more martial power at the expense of some spells and energy damage, Paladins can pick up Bardic Music in two ways-- the From Smite to Song feat, and Harmonic Knight substitution levels (both from Champions of Valor).
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2017-10-03 at 07:50 AM.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Allitra View Post
    I would like to dish out decent damage. I'll probably play a human with the half-dragon template. Push my age to about 150 for the bonuses to int, wis, and cha.
    I would not recommend half-dragon. The LA+3 slows down your advancement, and there's not much practical benefit to increasing your age, as a higher Int/Wis/Cha doesn't usually help you be better at archery.

If you want a mostly-fighter archer, then I'd suggest:

Race: Human. Go Dragonborn of Bahamut around ECL 6-ish for flight (lose Tower Shield Proficiency instead of your human bonus feat)
    1) Barbarian 1. Feat: PB Shot. Human: Rapid Shot. Rage -> Whirling Frenzy ACF (Unearthed Arcana). Spirit Eagle Totem for +4 on Spot/Search (Complete Champion).
    2) Fighter 1. Bonus: Precise Shot.
    3) Fighter 2. Feat: Weapon Focus Longbow.
    4) Fighter 3.
    5) Fighter 4. Bonus: Weapon Specialization Longbow.
    6) Fighter 5. Feat: Woodland Archer (Races of the Wild).
    7) Fighter 6. Bonus: Manyshot.
    8) Fighter 7.
    9) Fighter 8. Feat: Ranged Weapon Mastery (PHBII). Bonus: Improved Rapid Shot (Complet Warrior).
    10) Fighter 9.
    11) Fighter 10. Bonus: Combat Expertise.
    12) Fighter 11. Feat: Sense Weakness (Draconomicon).
    13) Fighter 12. Bonus: Improved Critical.
    14) Fighter 13.
    15) Fighter 14. Feat: Extra Rage. Bonus: Improved Precise Shot.
    16) Fighter 15.
    17) Warblade 1. Hunter's Sense, Sudden Leap, Wall of Blades, Iron Heart Surge, Dancing Mongoose. (Tome of Battle)
    18) Fighter 16. Feat: Greater Weapon Focus Longbow. Bonus: Greater Weapon Specialization Longbow.
    19) Fighter 17.
    20) Fighter 18. Bonus: Weapon Supremacy (PHBII).