New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: OOTS #1101 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Chei View Post
    Seems like this would be possible. Also, if it is true and Durkon* could raise a small army with each casting, then his best course of action is probably to kill the entire town and raise them.

Death and Destruction for us all, indeed.

Also, regarding the issue of control, it's beginning to seem more and more likely that Durkon*'s Creed of Stone minions also know the spell, because the number of vampires raised on-panel alone likely exceeds Durkon*'s 30-HD limit, assuming he still has at least one of his retinue in thrall.
    I don't think Durkon* has to keep these minions in thrall. They are a) notherners that Hel has dominion over the undead spirits of, and b) dwarves. Dwarves willing to die for their town. I suspect the vampire-versions will be more than happy to serve Hel in the same manner as Durkon*.

D* has told Durkon that another vampire spirit might have bucked at Hel's commands, but I feel like such examples will be in the minority, given the severity of Durkon's spirit's spite. The massacred dwarves are highly likely to have 'worst day selves' that hate their home and will happily slaughter the OotS to help Hel's plan.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Vampires have studied with Professor Higgins; the vein they drain flows mainly to the brain.
    I do not want to start nitpicking here but the vein flows *from* the brain to the heart

sch
    Do NOT argue with idiots - they drag you on their level and beat you with experience

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Darn, this is like the Wile E. Coyote moment of the comic. If only Haley hadn't pointed out the problem, I bet none of those corpses would have risen as vampires.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

O Hel yeah!

- Me, seeing the last panel of this comic.

Bring it on.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think vampire spirits are destroyed. They aren't souls, I think. If undead spirits persisted after death, as souls do, it would be possible to Resurrect them.

It is comforting to know that Durkon earned entry into Valhalla, but it actually raises a question for me:

If a dwarf dies with honor, gets resurrected, and then dies without honor, what happens to the soul then? Hel?
    But it is possible to "resurrect" an undead creature. Libris Mortis has a spell for it called Revive Undead.

Whether that spell exists in Ootsworld is another matter. And also the body has to be whole, so if you dust when you die... Welp.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2017-10-04 at 03:39 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

I'm just gonna throw this out there:

DAYAAAAAAAAM.

THAT was a cliffhanger!

I think I'm a little lost though - wouldn't Not-Durkon have had to prepare individual spells for each person he raised? How many slots could he possibly have?

7. - Top - End - #97
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by arrowed View Post
    I don't think Durkon* has to keep these minions in thrall. They are a) notherners that Hel has dominion over the undead spirits of, and b) dwarves. Dwarves willing to die for their town. I suspect the vampire-versions will be more than happy to serve Hel in the same manner as Durkon*.

D* has told Durkon that another vampire spirit might have bucked at Hel's commands, but I feel like such examples will be in the minority, given the severity of Durkon's spirit's spite. The massacred dwarves are highly likely to have 'worst day selves' that hate their home and will happily slaughter the OotS to help Hel's plan.
    My issue with the idea that these new spawn are not thralls is mainly the tactics they are using. "Play dead until the Order walks past you, then rise up and bum rush them" is a tactic that I have a hard time believing you could convince 20+ newborn free-willed creatures into executing for you in a short time. As for Hel's plan, I'm even less convinced all of those new vampires want the world to be destroyed with them on it. I doubt they even know the plan, in fact.

Giving those spawn free will raises too many questions about why they're all willing to follow orders. It's a lot simpler all around to assume they're thralls.
    Last edited by Chei; 2017-10-04 at 04:03 PM.
    Even the wind will know agony.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post

I'm afraid my position has changed somewhat since I posted that. It is my belief now that those vampires represent a couple of level-3 slots and 1 level-2 slot. Greg will NOT be limited by the number of slots in the slightest.

GW
    yep read it since - and from my limited knowledge of the rules it probably even make sense.
    Lets call it scary

how many 3rd level spellslots can Durkula have ? 3?? 4??

sch
    Last edited by schmunzel; 2017-10-04 at 04:34 PM.
    Do NOT argue with idiots - they drag you on their level and beat you with experience

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

My issue with the idea that these new spawn are not thralls is mainly the tactics they are using. "Play dead until the Order walks past you, then rise up and bum rush them" is a tactic that I have a hard time believing you could convince 20+ newborn free-willed creatures into executing for you in a short time. As for Hel's plan, I'm even less convinced all of those new vampires want the world to be destroyed with them on it. I doubt they even know the plan, in fact.

Giving those spawn free will raises too many questions about why they're all willing to follow orders. It's a lot simpler all around to assume they're spawn.
    *vaults to other side of fence* Parkour! I might argue that for vampires, pretend to be corpse then attack the unsuspecting living is some kind of undead instinct, but yeah, Occam's Razor and all that

10. - Top - End - #100
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    One thing about undead-heavy RPG campaigns I never could stomach: all the damn vampires.
    i c wut u did there.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by schmunzel View Post
    yep read it since - and from my limited knowledge of the rules it probably even make sense.
    Lets call it scary

how many 3rd level spellslots can Durkula have ? 3?? 4??

sch
    A cleric of Durkon*'s level has a base allotment of 4+1 3rd-level spells. That's 4 plus his domain spell, which probably can't be used for the special spell. Durkon* would then have one or two bonus spells at 3rd level: one from having a Wisdom of 16+ (guaranteed) and one from having a Wisdom of 24+ (unlikely but possible).

So the answer to your question for the purposes of this spell is: A LOT BECAUSE HE CAN PREPARE 3RD-LEVEL SPELLS AT 4TH, 5TH, 6TH, AND 7TH-LEVEL SLOTS.
    Last edited by Chei; 2017-10-04 at 03:54 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    Let's see: 13 vampires ahead of them, three lurking behind them they passed in panel 7, two more in panel 5, and eight from the previous strip, most of them passed in panels 1-3.

I make it at least 26 vampires.
    Pretty sure it's 32 from the entrance on. All VampireDwarfs have distinctive features so you can recognize them and actually see how fast they (the order) are moving per panel.

edit: recounted, probably 27. Depending if the corpses on panel 3 (page 1101) are the three corpses on the left on panel 7 (page 1100), just re-arranged.
    Last edited by Jelissei; 2017-10-04 at 04:08 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Oh crap.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Regarding the number of vampires, somebody pointed out earlier that the skin color of the bodies changed in the middle of this strip. So there could be as few as 16 that were turned. The ones at the beginning of the tunnel probably weren't so that the order wouldn't notice anything and would let their guards down.

Edit: Well, presumably at least 18. There were a couple near the end that aren't shown that well, but are in the vampire section.
    Last edited by Fincher; 2017-10-04 at 04:15 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Now this is a plot twist done correctly. Abruptly, maybe, but definitely done well.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    Regarding the number of vampires, somebody pointed out earlier that the skin color of the bodies changed in the middle of this strip. So there could be as few as 16 that were turned. The ones at the beginning of the tunnel probably weren't so that the order wouldn't notice anything and would let their guards down.

Edit: Well, presumably at least 18. There were a couple near the end that aren't shown that well, but are in the vampire section.
    One point I would raise against that is that Brother Sandstone is probably the strongest dwarf killed outside those doors; he was capable of casting Thor's Lightning and turning undead at a high enough level to affect Gontor. Leaving him out for the sake of getting people to lower their guard probably wouldn't be as effective as raising him into a new cleric of Hel.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Banned

BardGirl

I fully expect Durkon to have lost a level or two in EXP from doing this, otherwise I'm gonna be pretty angry.
    I mean, it's way too OP and convenient to now have "just learnt" the spell from the artifact-staff and be able to cast it willy nilly.
    And what the hell is this, AoE effect? Assuming such a spell has a pretty high level slot how did he even manage to store so many casts to raise so many vampires within a single rest period?

What the hell? I thought Oots was happening in a universe where everyone has to play by the rules, but apparently that doesn't apply to the villains?

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    One thing about undead-heavy RPG campaigns I never could stomach: all the damn vampires.
    (1) Where is Wesley Snipes when you need him?
    (2) Guessing Twilight wasn't your favorite movie either.
    Quote Originally Posted by BungleBee View Post
    Remember to swing low, guys!!
    Sweet Chariot ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    I think Belkar failed a Spot check.
    In other news, Elan's a bard.
    Vampires have studied with Professor Higgins; the vein they drain flows mainly to the brain.
    *groan*
    Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    Once again, Haley makes her spot [plot device] roll.
    That's her niche, and part of why she's a valuable party member.
    Quote Originally Posted by KeiranHalcyon View Post
    But, you know, she was raised by a 1st edition thief....
    Yeah, we sorta had to be clever or we'd not survive. It was tough, I tell ya, picking them locks in a raging blizzard inside of a volcano, walking up hill to get both in and out of the dungeons ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt620
    Now this is a plot twist done correctly. Abruptly, maybe, but definitely done well.
    Yeah it is. Bravo, Giant.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2017-10-04 at 04:30 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

If I'm ever judged in the hereafter, can I retain you as my attorney?
    That would be a great TV show. A lawyer in a fantasy universe travels to all the afterlives and argues to get his clients into the one they desire.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

i feel like the vampires were faking being dead the whole time, and as Haley was speaking, they all just kind of thought

"Welp, Jig's up guys! They're on to us, everyone up!"
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ganbatte View Post
    I fully expect Durkon to have lost a level or two in EXP from doing this, otherwise I'm gonna be pretty angry.
    I mean, it's way too OP and convenient to now have "just learnt" the spell from the artifact-staff and be able to cast it willy nilly.
    And what the hell is this, AoE effect? Assuming such a spell has a pretty high level slot how did he even manage to store so many casts to raise so many vampires within a single rest period?

What the hell? I thought Oots was happening in a universe where everyone has to play by the rules, but apparently that doesn't apply to the villains?
    I may be wrong, getting old, or both, but you can't go below 0 XP at your current level when spending XP as a resource.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Dang it! I Morbo-ed someone in the last thread about how vampires worked in D&D, and now it turns out there were righter than I!
    On the plus side, Durkon* must've burnt through several spell slots to put the Order in this jam. On the downside, if any of the vampires behind them had another runestone, we could end up having an argument over the metaphysics of ownership when two spirits inhabit a single inventory panel... Shortly before our plucky adorable underdog dwarves are slaughtered.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

I may be wrong, getting old, or both, but you can't go below 0 XP at your current level when spending XP as a resource.
    Since the spell is not creating vampires, merely speeding up their awakening, I fail to see why it'd need XP at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    On the plus side, Durkon* must've burnt through several spell slots to put the Order in this jam.
    As I said, I suspect it's not much more than a level 3 spell not unlike they Animate Undead, which quickens the awakening of up to HD=2*(spell level) vampires.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-10-04 at 04:40 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

24. - Top - End - #114
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Since the spell is not creating vampires, merely speeding up their awakening, I fail to see why it'd need XP at all.

GW
    Yeah, I'm not suggesting it does, just pointing out why it'd be impossible to lose levels from it.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I'm not suggesting it does, just pointing out why it'd be impossible to lose levels from it.
    True enough; I wasn't intending to come across as disagreeing with you, just providing an alternative take on the question, but I can see how I could be misunderstood. My apologies.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

One point I would raise against that is that Brother Sandstone is probably the strongest dwarf killed outside those doors; he was capable of casting Thor's Lightning and turning undead at a high enough level to affect Gontor. Leaving him out for the sake of getting people to lower their guard probably wouldn't be as effective as raising him into a new cleric of Hel.
    Unfortunately, being the strongest, it is quite likely he was last to fall. So the option to keep him as an enslaved vampire may not have been available.

I hate to say this, but was I the only that was thinking Roy should be chopping the heads off those corpses, just to be safe?

That they are vampires is pretty much the worst case scenario. But that they could be animated or other kinds of undead created at the hands of a HPoH, to be used as fodder in an ambush, was more my concern.

Of course, our Bardic Knowledge tells us this is likely to be a warm up battle. It does suggest that Greg and friends will have a limited number of spells if the showdown were to happen very soon. I do think that Durkon's mother and/or father will find their way into this tale, so the real showdown may be down the road a bit.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Halfling in the Playground

Roy's brain can be one of his worst enemies. But other times it's his best ally. It's sort of an antihero.

Has Blackwing made that wing-finger lecturing gesture before?

28. - Top - End - #118
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

True enough; I wasn't intending to come across as disagreeing with you, just providing an alternative take on the question, but I can see how I could be misunderstood. My apologies.

GW
    No worries. I didn't engage the question fully so I can see how someone might think I agreed with the premise that there's an XP cost in the first place.

Animate Dead doesn't require XP, just materials, and I'm pretty much onboard with the idea that the Instant Vampirism spell is a close relative of it.
    Last edited by Chei; 2017-10-04 at 04:51 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Does it at least take XP to learn a spell that's not part of your spell list? I'm guessing it does to research it, but the spell was already researched, Greg just had to learn it.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Also, regarding the issue of control, it's beginning to seem more and more likely that Durkon*'s Creed of Stone minions also know the spell, because the number of vampires raised on-panel alone likely exceeds Durkon*'s 30-HD limit, assuming he still has at least one of his retinue in thrall.
    Not necessarily. If all the spell does is accelerate the normal process, then they would be enslaved to the vampire that killed them rather than HPoH (unless of course he was the one that killed them). The cap on control is twice the vampire's dice and daisy chaining control is specifically allowed, so if HPoH had the spell prepared multiple times (and if the spells affect multiple targets), he could have been recursively building a cursed army.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2017-10-04 at 04:59 PM.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas