New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Am I the only one who thinks Jim Carrey should play The Joker?

I really think it would be a perfect role for him. Carrey is of course most famous for his crazy roles, but he is surprisingly good at being creepy and disturbing when he wants to be just by changing his expression a trifle. I could see him pull off a solid cesar romero style joker bit with a creepy edge thrown in that makes you edgy about what happens if something ever does wipe that smile off his face. A lethal edge to his humor that straddles the line between pie in the face humor, and pie tin full of acidic sludge to the face "humor"

A deeper character could also work. Ive always said a semi 4th wall straddling joker could be great. He doesnt stare at the cameras or provide winks and nods to the audience like deadpool, but he is fully aware that this is entertainment and he has a job to do, a role to play. Certain things must be done to progress "the storyline" and he is fully aware that the second and third act are going to go downhill for him and it drives him nuts because he wants to WIN dangit! And yet even so things happen that make him almost self defeating. A Joker who is crazy to the other characters but WE know is actually right could be fascinating to see played out and I think carrey can do it. A joker who is constantly warring with narrative convention and his desire to win for a change. Basically this scene but all in his head.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Am I the only one who thinks Jim Carrey should play The Joker?

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I really think it would be a perfect role for him. Carrey is of course most famous for his crazy roles, but he is surprisingly good at being creepy and disturbing when he wants to be just by changing his expression a trifle. I could see him pull off a solid cesar romero style joker bit with a creepy edge thrown in that makes you edgy about what happens if something ever does wipe that smile off his face. A lethal edge to his humor that straddles the line between pie in the face humor, and pie tin full of acidic sludge to the face "humor"

A deeper character could also work. Ive always said a semi 4th wall straddling joker could be great. He doesnt stare at the cameras or provide winks and nods to the audience like deadpool, but he is fully aware that this is entertainment and he has a job to do, a role to play. Certain things must be done to progress "the storyline" and he is fully aware that the second and third act are going to go downhill for him and it drives him nuts because he wants to WIN dangit! And yet even so things happen that make him almost self defeating. A Joker who is crazy to the other characters but WE know is actually right could be fascinating to see played out and I think carrey can do it. A joker who is constantly warring with narrative convention and his desire to win for a change. Basically this scene but all in his head.
    But he's already played the Riddler. Fairly nicely, as well.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

He should absolutely not play the Joker. He should play the Riddler. Which, I said note, he has not done yet; he played Ace Ventura: Batman Villain. He would be a phenomenal Riddler in any good Batman movie.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-10-02 at 11:56 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    He should absolutely not play the Joker. He should play the Riddler. Which, I said note, he has not done yet; he played Ace Ventura: Batman Villain. He would be a phenomenal Riddler in any good Batman movie.
    He played frank gorshen riddler from the adam west series. *EDIT* Also, im pretty sure none of that is canon anymore so no reason not to reset. Keep trying till we find an actor who can pull off a proper joker!
    Last edited by Traab; 2018-10-02 at 12:46 PM.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #5

He played frank gorshen riddler from the adam west series.
    Watch Frank Goshen Riddler, then watch Ace Ventura: Pet Detective. He clearly plays the latter. Ace Ventura was the bane of his career after it catapulted him to stardom. Hell, my main description of Yes Man is Liar, Liar with 90% less Ace Ventura. Dudes a fantastic actor, great comedic chops, but his ridiculously over-the-top style was a holdover from his previous work.

Jack Nicholson didn't play Caesar Romero Joker. Val Kilmer didn't play Adam West Batman. Julie Newmar Catwoman wasn't emulated by Michelle Pfeiffer. Why would they have wanted Carrey to pay homage to Gorshen when nobody else in that series ever did the same?

Burton clearly tried to distance his Batman movies as far away from the camp series as possible. Don't come at me with a Gorsben homage. Unless Tim Burton or Jim Carrey themselves openly say so, I refuse to believe it. And if they do say so, they did a crap job of it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

He played frank gorshen riddler from the adam west series.
    I don't think so. As "campy" as the TV series was, Riddler had an edge to him that went beyond Joker, Penguin or most of the other villains. Almost as if he and Kitt's/Newmar's Catwoman were the only non-hero characters being played straight. I agree with Peelee. Carrey's effort was much more a retread of his slapstick stupid characters, though certainly less egregious than he could have been. In fact, I rank his Riddler as the second worst portrayal of a villain in the movies (Swenson Bane is the worst).

The funny thing is, I think Jim Carrey is a much better actor than I ever used to think, based on The Truman Show and what little I saw of The Majestic. Still, I wouldn't want to see him touching a Batman villain again. That ship sailed and the casting would only be because someone wanted to see his trademark flavor of crazy again.

Watch Frank Goshen Riddler, then watch Ace Ventura: Pet Detective. He clearly plays the latter. Ace Ventura was the bane of his career after it catapulted him to stardom. Hell, my main description of Yes Man is Liar, Liar with 90% less Ace Ventura. Dudes a fantastic actor, great comedic chops, but his ridiculously over-the-top style was a holdover from his previous work.

Jack Nicholson didn't play Caesar Romero Joker. Val Kilmer didn't play Adam West Batman. Julie Newmar Catwoman wasn't emulated by Michelle Pfeiffer. Why would they have wanted Carrey to pay homage to Gorshen when nobody else in that series ever did the same?

Burton clearly tried to distance his Batman movies as far away from the camp series as possible. Don't come at me with a Gorsben homage. Unless Tim Burton or Jim Carrey themselves openly say so, I refuse to believe it. And if they do say so, they did a crap job of it.
    Yup, Peelee is a ninja. But I'm leaving my text there too...because I think Pfeiffer did have some Newmar in her Catwoman.

- M
    Last edited by Mordar; 2018-10-02 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Avoiding double post
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

7. - Top - End - #7

He'd be a hoot as the menacing Clown Prince of Crime, instead of the psychopath of the week fare we've been stuck with for the last couple decades. Is the makeup and crazy act a front, or is it real?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Nah. He's...more wacky, when in top form. He doesn't quite have the gravitas to pull it off. And frankly, he's been slipping of late. I'm not sure what's off about him, but he seems to be going a bit crazy, and not as an act. That's unfortunate, but it makes him even less appropriate to play the Joker.

The Joker's a difficult character to nail just right. It isn't enough to merely act crazy, it's a very specific kind of crazy. Hit the wrong note, and the whole affair just feels off.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I really want a live action Batman Beyond movie where Keaton plays old Batman and either Goldbloom or Hamil playa old joker. Make all of the old robins former Batman actors, it would be hilarious.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

I suspect the direction for Jim Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones was to have a camera pointed at them and be told "go on then."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

He'd be good, but we don't need another Joker right now. He's overexposed as it is.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

I used to hate Jim Carrey with a deep and abiding passion. It wasn't until I saw Man on the Moon (years after it came out) that I realized he is a fantastic actor. So I've never actually seen the Cable Guy, but from what I understand, a) I probably should and b) it is the exact blend of wacky and menace that could make a good Joker.

That said, I second the "too much Joker" sentiment, with the exception if they were to do a stand alone movie based on Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On Serious Earth.

13. - Top - End - #13

BlackDragon

Wasn't he already in the movies with the line, "Your entrance was good, his was better"?
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

14. - Top - End - #14

RogueGuy

I don't think he was a good Riddler, for the same reason he wouldn't make a good Joker.

He just goes HAM all the time. His Riddler wasn't good, not because of his acting. As other people have stated, it's cause he just goes goofy.

As Joker though, IF big IF, someone could rein him in, I think he would have a good shot at being the Joker.

I mean, in Kickass 2, he showed he could play something of what I think the Joker is inside. So to answer the question, SHOULD he play the Joker. No. But, COULD he play him? I think the potential is there for him to play the best Joker there is. Who would play a good Batman to his Joker?

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Kyberwulf View Post
    I don't think he was a good Riddler, for the same reason he wouldn't make a good Joker.

He just goes HAM all the time. His Riddler wasn't good, not because of his acting. As other people have stated, it's cause he just goes goofy.

As Joker though, IF big IF, someone could rein him in, I think he would have a good shot at being the Joker.

I mean, in Kickass 2, he showed he could play something of what I think the Joker is inside. So to answer the question, SHOULD he play the Joker. No. But, COULD he play him? I think the potential is there for him to play the best Joker there is. Who would play a good Batman to his Joker?
    Played goofy, not plays goofy. Again, watch Liar Liar and Yes Man. Incredibly similar movies, but one sucks and one is awesome because he plays it way better now. I firmly believe it'd be the same for the Riddler, and Jim Carrey would knock it out of the park.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I really want a live action Batman Beyond movie where Keaton plays old Batman and either Goldbloom or Hamil playa old joker. Make all of the old robins former Batman actors, it would be hilarious.
    I did not know I needed this but I do.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

17. - Top - End - #17

So, Keaton is old Batman. That would make... Ben Affleck as Nightwing, George Clooney as ... Damian Wayne? Christian Bale as Jason Todd?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    So, Keaton is old Batman. That would make... Ben Affleck as Nightwing, George Clooney as ... Damian Wayne? Christian Bale as Jason Todd?
    I was going to go Clooney as Nightwing (eldest), Afleck as Jason Todd (biggest/most edgy), Bale would be Tim Drake (the good son), Damian doesn't need to be in the movie :/

I suppose if we want Damian we need to add Val Kilmer, so put Affleck as Damian and make Kilmer Jason Todd.

19. - Top - End - #19

I guess Afleck is even edgier than Bale, yeah. And I forgot about Tim Drake.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

20. - Top - End - #20

A Batman Beyond live-action movie with Mark Hammill as an older Joker?

Yeah, you had me at Mark Hammill. I don't even care about the rest of the movie- at worst it will be a Street Fighter: The Movie scenario where the villain takes borderline-unwatchable drek and elevates it to pure art every second they're on the screen.

Seriously, have you ever seen video of Hammill doing his Joker voice? The man cannot sit still when he's doing it. It would be a bloody crime if he never played a live-action Joker.

That being said... the entire Batclan coming out of retirement to help Terry McGinnis curbstomp the Joker's Grand Finale? The Robins already mentioned, Barbara Gordon, Stephanie Brown, Cassandra Cain, Helena Bertinelli (and her protege, Helena Wayne ), Luke Fox, Kathy Kane... if you want to stretch it a little, Renee Montoya, Jean-Paul Valley, Selina Kyle, Bette Kane, maybe even Sasha Bordeaux and Basil Karlo. Could be fun... and it would necessitate somebody snarking at Bats about him 'working alone' <.<

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    A Batman Beyond live-action movie with Mark Hammill as an older Joker?

Yeah, you had me at Mark Hammill. I don't even care about the rest of the movie- at worst it will be a Street Fighter: The Movie scenario where the villain takes borderline-unwatchable drek and elevates it to pure art every second they're on the screen.

Seriously, have you ever seen video of Hammill doing his Joker voice? The man cannot sit still when he's doing it. It would be a bloody crime if he never played a live-action Joker.
    He'd played the Trickster in the live action Flash show from 2014 and it was fantastic. Had a very Jokery vibe to it, but I'm not sure if that's Mark Hamil, or the source material on that one, since I'm not familiar with the character outside of the show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Played goofy, not plays goofy. Again, watch Liar Liar and Yes Man. Incredibly similar movies, but one sucks and one is awesome because he plays it way better now. I firmly believe it'd be the same for the Riddler, and Jim Carrey would knock it out of the park.
    I've seen Liar Liar, and the conclusion I've drawn from it is that Jim Carrey should retire.
    Last edited by Knaight; 2018-10-03 at 07:00 PM.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    I've seen Liar Liar, and the conclusion I've drawn from it is that Robin Williams should retire.
    Um...uh...I'm not sure I think that's a great line...

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

24. - Top - End - #24

RogueGuy

How did you get Robin Williams from Liar, Liar, and Yes, Man?

Also, Robin Williams ...um.. doesn't have to worry about retiring anymore?

25. - Top - End - #25

Robin williams would have kicked butt in liar liar.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyberwulf View Post
    How did you get Robin Williams from Liar, Liar, and Yes, Man?

Also, Robin Williams ...um.. doesn't have to worry about retiring anymore?
    I have no idea - I'd meant to type Jim Carrey.

Robin williams would have kicked butt in liar liar.
    He absolutely would have. I'd generally say that every single Jim Carrey movie could have been improved by using Robin Williams instead. Granted, a lot of them would potentially still be trash (e.g. The Mask), but they'd at least be trash with at least one good actor in them.

Heck, there's a case to be made that you could replace Jim Carrey with Adam Sandler and it would be marginally better.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

27. - Top - End - #27

He absolutely would have. I'd generally say that every single Jim Carrey movie could have been improved by using Robin Williams instead. Granted, a lot of them would potentially still be trash (e.g. The Mask), but they'd at least be trash with at least one good actor in them.

Heck, there's a case to be made that you could replace Jim Carrey with Adam Sandler and it would be marginally better.
    I wouldnt go that far, jim carrey is not that bad of an actor. I actually enjoyed liar liar rather a lot. And while robin williams could have pulled off the character great, I dunno so much about the relationship part as he was starting to look his age. It wouldnt have matched up well with a 63 year old dad and his kid thats like, ten.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    In fact, I rank his Riddler as the second worst portrayal of a villain in the movies (Swenson Bane is the worst).
    I would say Schwarzenegger as Mr. Freeze was the worst. And though it's been some years since I last watched Batman Forever, I think I remember hating Tommy Lee Jones as Two-Face more than I hated Carrey as the Riddler. At least Riddler had some characterization - Tommy Lee Jones pretty much just laughs all the time. Did someone tell him he was playing the Joker?

I assume we're limiting to the Tim Burton/Joel Schumacher films? If not, I can add Anne Hathaway's Catwoman, Tom Hardy's Bane, and Jared Leto's Joker to the list as well (not necessarily in that order).

How much say did Tim Burton have? He was only a producer on Batman Forever, not the director.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Why would you want George Clooney within 500 miles of another superhero project of any kind? If your aim is just to collect people from all the Batman films, why not use Chris O'Donnell? He wasn't great, but he was 100x more right for his role than Clooney was for his.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post

Why would you want George Clooney within 500 miles of another superhero project of any kind?
    FWIW, I think Clooney was fine as Bruce Wayne, he just didn't work as Batman. I'm not sure that I've ever found anyone convincing as both Bruce Wayne and Batman; Keaton was probably the closest.

30. - Top - End - #30

Wholly agree for old Carrey movies. Which is the point I've been making; once he dropped the Ace Ventura shtick, he was phenomenally better
    Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    FWIW, I think Clooney was fine as Bruce Wayne, he just didn't work as Batman.
    Ha! I've said that before too. Doesn't hurt that he basically Wayne in real life, minus the orphan bit.