New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default What Possible Sorcerous Origins are there?

Ah, the Sorcerer; D&D's embodiment of the concept of having magic flowing in your very veins. We all know that it's been the least supported arcanist in 5e thus far, starting the game with only Draconic and Chaos Magic for its subclasses; even the Warlock managed to have three subclasses. Its versatility is slowly growing, but's a very slow process; so far, the only official additions are the Storm Soul, the Shadow, and the Divine Soul.

What I want to know is this: what possible Sorcerous Origins can you envision? Wizards and Warlocks are relatively straightforward to envision, but what are the possibilities for Sorcerers?

Speaking personally...

Arcana: These sorcerers are true arcane prodigies, born with a natural talent to manipulate the flow of magic, often as a result of a family history of talented wizards. Unlike Wild Magic sorcerers, these sorcerers are defined by having great control over their powers. Most likely, this Origin would grant the sorcerer increased spells compared to a normal sorcerer, perhaps even a Spellbook mechanic like the wizard, a larger pool of sorcery points, and/or a greater proficiency with metamagic than normal.

Feytouched: These sorcerers draw their power from an innate connection to the Feywild. They could be the children of faerie-mortal couples, or even of Feypact warlocks, or just exposed to the raw magic of the Feywild. To say nothing of how appropriate this is for Feywild native races like elves, gnomes, or even hobgoblins. Special abilities... perhaps an increased affinity for enchantments and illusions? I actually don't know.

Hollow: In contrast to the Shadow Sorcerer, who has a spiritual connection to the elemental energies of darkness, this Sorcerer's power stems from a connection to death. Whether born in some fashion that left them with a foot in the grave, or marked by the touch of a powerful undead, these sorcerers have an unparalleled control of necrotic energy. Distinguishing this from the Necromancer Wizard may be tricky; perhaps more focused on inflicting damage & debuff effects?

Primordial: It is the power of the elements that roils and heaves within this sorcerer's soul. Not the meagre energies of one plane, but the untamed and foundational energies of the Elemental Chaos. In my mind's eye, this is an element-focused "blasty" sorcerer, whose unique tricks include reshaping the area of effect and the damage type of elemental attack spells.
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."

World-Building: Malebolge Campaign Setting (5e), Star-Fantasy Campaign Setting (5e)
    Homebrew Material Index: Misty Shadow's Stupid-Huge Homebrew List

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: What Possible Sorcerous Origins are there?

The Shadow Sorceror already covers the 'death' aspect, look at Mike Mearls' recent video advertising it for Xanathar's (and the Strength of the Grave feature, some of the quirks, and The Hound of Ill Omen being associated with death).

I like the others, though. Arcana is good for a very general niche if you want an Arcane caster that lacks the Wizard's study or the Wild Magic's randomness, primordial is something I've really wanted SOME sort of subclass for (ignoring 4E Monk for being underwhelming), and Feytouched was even mentioned as an option in Sorceror fluff. Hard to make that distinct from a Feylock, though, which is a concern.

3. - Top - End - #3

Flumph

Accident: You wondered around a shop as a child, and knocked over a display containing the magic item which broke. After your parents paid for the item (out of your pocket money :(), you discovered a talent for magic some time later.

Unwanted Gift: You never wanted to be a sorcerer. Working as a clerk or a farmer is much more appealing. But some stupid fey creature gave you the gift, and unlike that sweater, you can't take it back.
    Gnome Wizard by DarkCorax

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

I actually created a custom Sorcerous Origin just for fun a while ago. "Metalborn"... Yeah, the name could use some work, I know.

"Your sorcerous origin allows you to feel the various minerals and ores in the ground and manipulate the fibers of metal around you. Perhaps you or one of your ancestors came into contact with the Quasi-Elemental Plane of Minerals and were forever changed. Perhaps you were born along one or several leylines with magical magnetic properties. For whatever reason, you possess a natural affinity to the natural and magical magnetic forces of the world, allowing you to manipulate minerals and metal."

Basically you are Magneto/Polaris but with spells.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Pretty much any patron the warlock has, the sorcerer can be descended from.

Otherworldly Patron Sorcerous Origin
    The Archfey Fey Touch
    The Celestial Divine Soul
    The Dragon Draconic Bloodline
    The Fiend Fiendish Taint
    The Genie Pheonix/Storm/Sea/Stone Sorcery
    The Great Old One Aberrant Nature
    The Reaper Sepulchral Destiny
    The Undying Shadow

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    Pretty much any patron the warlock has, the sorcerer can be descended from.

Otherworldly Patron Sorcerous Origin
    The Archfey Fey Touch
    The Celestial Divine Soul
    The Dragon Draconic Bloodline
    The Fiend Fiendish Taint
    The Genie Pheonix/Storm/Sea/Stone Sorcery
    The Great Old One Aberrant Nature
    The Reaper Sepulchral Destiny
    The Undying Shadow
    I'd heard people say that Warlock and Sorceror could be one class, and fluff wise, I can easily see it. I think it'd be a good way to expand diverse options for both.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

If Lamarck is right (theory of genetics), than literally any method of gaining spells can be inherited, therefore becoming a Sorcerous Origin. So;
    Divine Soul for Cleric/Paladin magic
    Chaos for Wizard Magic (shush) or GOO Warlock
    Fae Origin from Warlock pact
    Fiendish Origin from Warlock pact (or tieflings, I guess)
    Elemental magic (Storm/Phoenix/Stone) from elemental magic.
    Wilder from being exposed to Psionics
    Stabby abilities from having a high-level fighter parent.
    And so on and so forth.
    Spoiler: Quotes from the Playground
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    In fact, I will here formally propose the Zeroth Rule of Gaming: No rule in any game shall be interpreted in a way that breaks the game if it is possible to interpret that rule in a way that does not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Good old Jes, the infamous Doppelganger MILF.

(aka "The Doppelbanger")
    Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    Shhhhh, shhhhhh. Be calm, inhale the beholder's wacky float gas and stop worrying.

Adapting published monsters to Eberron: Naturalist's Guide to Eberron Latest: Annis Hag

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    I'd heard people say that Warlock and Sorceror could be one class, and fluff wise, I can easily see it. I think it'd be a good way to expand diverse options for both.
    It gets even more fuzzy when you read the description of the wild magic sorcerer-

Quote Originally Posted by PHB
    You might have endured exposure to some form of raw magic, perhaps through a planar portal leading to Limbo, the Elemental Planes, or the mysterious Far Realm. Perhaps you were blessed by a powerful fey creature or marked by a demon.
    -given that it specifically calls out Warlock Patrons giving you magic as a source of sorcerous power.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    The Shadow Sorceror already covers the 'death' aspect, look at Mike Mearls' recent video advertising it for Xanathar's (and the Strength of the Grave feature, some of the quirks, and The Hound of Ill Omen being associated with death).
    Plus you get to be the Tall Man and say "Bboooooyyyy!!!" a lot, which is an added perk. :D

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

I would like a druidic themed sorcerer. A caster drawing power from a connection to life and nature. Less the elemental themed side though. Problem is the minimal overlap of spells. Basically would need to use the druid list. It isn't like doing a favoured soul swap would really scratch that itch either.