New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Dedicated sub-forum?

With the release of Starfinder and the popularity of Pathfinder, is it possible to get a dedicated sub-forum for each of them? I thought there used to be one for Pathfinder but maybe I just imagined that. lol What does everyone think of this idea? Are any of you playing in or going to play in a Starfinder game soon?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dedicated sub-forum?

Pathfinder is a fork off the 3.5 ruleset. Most of the PF discussion happens in the 3.5 subforum.

And subforums don't get made for just any old game that has a fandom. Usually, subforums happen when if they didn't have a dedicated subforum, posts about it would overwhelm the main area. (See how often posts in the general section have a heavy 3.5 focus, and that's even with an extant 3.5 subforum.) Offshoots of PF aren't popular enough to need their own whole extra area.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Anymage View Post
    Pathfinder is a fork off the 3.5 ruleset. Most of the PF discussion happens in the 3.5 subforum.

And subforums don't get made for just any old game that has a fandom. Usually, subforums happen when if they didn't have a dedicated subforum, posts about it would overwhelm the main area. (See how often posts in the general section have a heavy 3.5 focus, and that's even with an extant 3.5 subforum.) Offshoots of PF aren't popular enough to need their own whole extra area.
    I guess I just felt that even though it's an offshoot of 3.5, Pathfinder stands on its own pretty easily so a Pathfinder/Starfinder sub-forum might be a good idea. I suppose you're correct though with as many 3.5 posts wind up in the general section.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MatchesMalone View Post
    I guess I just felt that even though it's an offshoot of 3.5, Pathfinder stands on its own pretty easily so a Pathfinder/Starfinder sub-forum might be a good idea. I suppose you're correct though with as many 3.5 posts wind up in the general section.
    Pathfinder and 3.5 both seem to be about 45% of the 3.x subforum - neither is dominating it. Meanwhile, back before the forums were partitioned 3.x completely ate the roleplaying game forum, such that nothing else would show. That's why it was cordoned off.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure if the traffic would justify a split, but I've seen enough confusion in threads that I think a split might be helpful.

"Oh sorry this is {PF only / no PF allowed} so your long, itemized, formatted write-up of suggestions is inapplicable."

(Not sure where we'd stick the 3.pf threads... I don't see as many of those as pure 3.5 / PF though.)

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    I'm not sure if the traffic would justify a split, but I've seen enough confusion in threads that I think a split might be helpful.

"Oh sorry this is {PF only / no PF allowed} so your long, itemized, formatted write-up of suggestions is inapplicable."

(Not sure where we'd stick the 3.pf threads... I don't see as many of those as pure 3.5 / PF though.)
    I do think it would clear up some confusion. People don't like to post in their thread what system they're talking about a lot of the time. lol

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Pathfinder and 3.5 both seem to be about 45% of the 3.x subforum - neither is dominating it. Meanwhile, back before the forums were partitioned 3.x completely ate the roleplaying game forum, such that nothing else would show. That's why it was cordoned off.
    You make it seem like 3.5 was basically quarantined from the rest of the forum!

But yeah, the PF/3.5 confusion does seem to be an issue, but I haven't been in that forum for a while. I wonder if making the tags a little more visible would help at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    But yeah, the PF/3.5 confusion does seem to be an issue, but I haven't been in that forum for a while. I wonder if making the tags a little more visible would help at all.
    The trouble is you only get one visible thread tag.

So your choice is either advertise your thread as e.g. "DM Help" or "Pathfinder", not both.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Spamalot in the Playground

If you start Starfinder threads in the 3.5/PF forum, I guarantee you that's where the folks who've been reading the books will be to help you.

I'd say there's not a whole lot to discuss about the system yet until the Bestiary and a few more APs drop though. It's hard to tell for instance if a given class is weak at level X if we don't have a number of CR X monsters to compare it to.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

10. - Top - End - #10

Thanks, everyone, for weighing in on this matter. I greatly appreciate it!