New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Core Dungeon Crawl: The Deadpeaks

Saeht and Malthena spot an opening after the skeleton's shield bash, and rush forward in unison with bludgeons in hand. In one final effort, the clerics smash the sides of Skolly's skull in like two great pendulums swinging together, shattering it to pieces and sending splinters flying everywhere. He staggers forward up a stair or two, before finally collapsing to the ground.

The battle is over in a matter of twelve seconds, and the room returns to its long-kept silence. You stand inside the room alone, movements flickering from the sunrod.

- - End Encounter - -
    Last edited by Devilfish; 2017-11-07 at 03:19 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Malthena breathes a sigh of relief, sheaths her weapon, and goes to retrieve her holy symbol.

"Umral, you seem to have a knack for picking the most powerful undead to play with."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Burroughs stops singing, then spits some blood and checks his lower jawbone. Rattled by the hit he takes a few seconds to notice Skolky is now dead dead, the cleric and the tall dwarf delivering the final blows.

We need to find a way to open the door, hopefully the folks who were following us didn't have time to catch up with Q, after all without him we don't even know what we are looking for. My guess is that those brazier gargoyles have some kind of lever to pull the slab back up.

He puts his HVY mace away and pulls a long thin wand from his quiver where arrows with feathers of different colors can be seen. He waves the wand at him and at Umral.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Using two charges of my CLW wand

First on me (1d8+1)[7]

then on Umral (1d8+1)[3]

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Ok Mr. Skolly, say you're sorry Umral says, picking up the skeleton

"I'm sorry" the skeleton appears to say with Umral's bad ventriloquism.

Aw it's ok buddy
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

In the relative safety after the fight, Malthena is going to search the room.
    "Perhaps we can find a way to open this door again. Anywhere probably trapped that I should avoid checking out?"

6. - Top - End - #66
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

"It is not his fault, Umral, but an magical -- likely evil -- force that took over his body preventing it from rest." Saeth slips his morning star back through the ring on his belt, and claps the orc on the shoulder in sympathy. "Should we find the one who did this to them, forced them to attack us blindly, we will avenge Mr. Skolly. He was pretty frantic about getting to something. Did anyone see where it went?"
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Burroghs nods to Malthena's words.

It is likely there will be more traps. I'll examine the gargoyles where the light shone. But we could use some expertisse in traps...

He looks at Aerowyn.

Elf, Would you assist us?

8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground

Aerowyn nods, sheathing his rapier, "Were it me, I would trap this low area down the stairs, well, which is what they did, I suppose. I would wager you are safe if you stick by the walls. It might be that they have a similar set up as with the gargoyles outside, so that the reverse is on one of those," he points at the gargoyles in the room, "but I will search the spot where Umral triggered it first."

He promptly begins searching the exact spot where Umral triggered the door trap.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gonna try 3 times before just taking 20 if he doesn't see anything.

Search: (1d20+11)[19]
    Search: (1d20+11)[29]
    Search: (1d20+11)[29]

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Ivellis holds up the axe This, I believe, is why he was so intent on transfixing me. The wizard seems to have regained his composure after his misses in combat and is now setting about examining their surroundings, careful to avoid the center as Aerowyn suggested.

Spoiler: Search
    Show

(1d20+6)[20]

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Burroughs listens to the rogue's advise and keeps close to the wall trying to reach the gargoyles. Once there he'll conduct a search without touching them.

Spoiler: Search
    Show
    taking 20 but not touching the gargoyles.

11. - Top - End - #71

BlueKnightGuy

Malthena and Ivellis runs their hand along the walls of the room. Embedded along the long walls are another bass-releif, depicting the progression of men. They start off upright and haughty, carrying swords and dragging a halfling (or a child?) by its hair. The men then appear to come to temple of Sham Bel Sharma, where they then stoop low, leaving their swords behind, and place shackles upon themselves instead. The men remain low in the next panel, draped in robes and shackled still. This panel repeats itself again. Only at the end of the wall do they rise again, higher than before, beams of light eminating from their faces.

At the head of the room, just above the staircase, a single grand figure is depicted; all the shackles and light beams are stemming from him, connecting to the figures around the room. There is no depiction of its face.

Aerowyn takes careful steps as he lowers himself down the stairs, using expert precaution to exam the floor without actually touching it. This panel that sprung the door trap looks to be a reseting mechanism, and must have been made by an artisan craftsman; whoever took care to trapping this place knew what they were doing... and you will find them a formidable rival as you expore.

There are no other traps on the initial panels, but the door seems to be lifted from somewhere else. Feeling confident, you examine the rest of the floor below, noting how the pillars could have acted as ambush points from those entering the temple. Only on the stairs leading out of the depression do you spy the glint of a trip wire in the sunrod's light. Grooves have been carefully hidden low along the walls, bringing visions to mind of a sweeping chain that would catch those panicked enough to blindly run forward.

Alas, the trigger seems non-reseting, and if a trap was here it was triggered long ago. Tugging the wire does nothing, and its purpose is left to your imagination.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    It doesn't fit with the narrative necessarily to have a deathtrap at the opening, but you're right; it would make for a good spot :p

Burroughs stays wary but examines the gargoyles from a safe distance. Unlike the gargoyles outside, these have their mouths closed, snarling at you with the light having come from between their beared fangs. As far as you can tell, these statues were simple braziers; though they must have been triggered magically, they remain dark, and the mechanism for the door lays elsewhere.

Loot:

Ivellis has Sir Skolly's axe
    Burroughs has a backpack
    Aerowyn has a backpack and a toolkit
    Umral has Mr. Skolly

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Well, beyond rather disturbing engravings, I can't seem to find anything of interest. Any chance we can open that door?
    I'm worried our employer might be in danger.
    Ivellis examines the axe carefully, looking to see if he can spot anything of particular interest about the axe. He sets it aside after a moment and removes a scroll from his pack, reading aloud the last parts of the incantation. Attuukiat Atiavah. His eyes take on a faint glow for a moment and he looks at the axe again and glances around the room as well.

Show

Using a Scroll of Detect Magic.
    Search check, if needed:
    (1d20+6)[11]
    Knowledge (Arcana), if needed:
    (1d20+10)[17]

13. - Top - End - #73

Saddened at the likely fate of his poor donkey, and to a far lesser extent, Q, Aerowyn settles for inspecting the backpack and toolkit he saved from the crushing door to distract himself.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Burroughs is slightly disapointed with the gargoyles.

So this isn't how we open it...

He thinks of Pucho, his dog, and Q' and the payment he was promised.

Damn Orc!

He looks at the party, Ivelis and Aeowyn seem trustworthy, so does Saeth. He does not trust the orc, and the lanky bizarre dwarf. He points his fingers at Ivelis Saeth and Aeowyn, and mutters some words casting a spell to communicate with them...

Then he whispers a message across the room
    Whe need to be swift with this, get Q and the animals inside quickly. And we need to be silently too. Don't think all the dwellers of this place will be undead.

Spoiler: casting
    Show
    casting message with ivelis, aeowyn and saeth as targets, it lasts 30 minutes

15. - Top - End - #75

HalflingPirate

Saeth nods at the whispered words, adding his own aloud, "I was wrong earlier about the switch in the gargoyle's mouth, so I may yet be wrong about this. But, assuming this ruin operated in some sort of normal fashion, the control for the door should be within a reasonable distance. Likely, there is some method of opening in some nearby room. Considering the trap that was laid here was intended to catch those trying to leave, it is likely to be hidden, though."

He thrusts the shaft of his morning star back through the loop on his belt and retrieves his bow. The light from his holy symbol shines upward casting eerie shadows on his face. "Aerowyn, take point, but be careful. Everyone, keep your eyes open."
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

Malthena nods to Saeth's words, wide eyed. She is comforted to be sheltered deep in the stone vault of the crypt, and figures the exit will be found in good times. However, her encounter with the hostile undead warrior had perturbed Malthena, used to undead merely as passive harmless servants. She shows her gear and falls into formation, a bit on edge.
    "Indeed, Saeth. If anyone living once walked these halls, they needed to get out sometimes, at least for provisions. Either there will be a back door, or some way to open the front without leaving it in defended as residents take hours winding through the labyrinth. Keen-eyes Aerowyn, you were skilled enough to find the secrets of the front door, I'm sure you can find the exit."
    She then turns inquisitively to Burroughs: "Thurman the Holy. An appropriate choice for the setting. Our priests also ken him Thurman Peacekeeper. Perhaps when we rest, you might be willing to exchange lore of him? I had not heard his story for many years, but it seems my Graystone dwarves' legend has minor differences perhaps worthy of erudite examination."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Burroughs frowns when Malthena mentions the old song he used to inspire courage in the group.

Didn't think you liked the story of a hero who killed the minions you seem to prefer...

Then he moves into the threshold opposite to the door they crossed and listens carefully into the dark.

There were arrow slits right over the door, maybe we can communicate with Q if we get to the second floor. Which way to go Elf?

18. - Top - End - #78

BlueKnightGuy

Ivellys stares at the axe. At his incantation, the world seems different- as though looked at through the lense of a strange glass. From the axe’s blade, symbols shine forth; runes inscripted with magic, marking the spell of an enchanter. You recognize these symbols as glyphs of abjuration, and conclude that this axe must protect its wielder in some way.
    Spoiler
    Show
    [Axe of Defending]

As you feel the thing in your hands, your fingers graze over an engraving in the haft towards the head of the axe. It looks like a family crest, beneath which is a short phrase, written in common and scrawled crudely. To read it properly, you bring it into the light.

The inscription reads:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Go get em, daddy"

The fate of Aerowyn’s valiant pack mule remains unknown, and he digs into the pack to distract himself.
    • You find an arcane scroll with words you find difficult to understand. Ivellys glances over your shoulder and identifies the symbols as part of the school of divination. It is spell which will reveal the immediate future, and make your next attack Strike True.
    • Deeper in the pack is a vial, filled with thick amber oil. A note is attached to it, written in elven: “Magic weapon
    • Deeper still are 20 gold pieces, and two days’ worth of food.
    • The toolkit seems filled with harnesses, tipped shoes, gloves, and a bag of chalk. You suspect it will make climbing difficult surfaces much easier.

Burrouhgs finds two flasks of bright red fluid, which turns shades of orange and yellow as it swirls and shifts.
    • You recognize this as alchemist’s fire, and tuck it away safely.
    • You also find a stone, which while seemingly unremarkable, echoes loudly whenever you touch it. You wrap it in cloth and stow it away all the same.
    • (You also find some hygienic products, but whether you keep these are up to you)

The stairway north stands open
    Last edited by Devilfish; 2017-11-17 at 01:06 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

C'mon Mr. Skolly! We gotta get some friends!
    Spoiler: :)
    Show
    Gotta love them orcs

Umral moves to D1 and peers into the darkness. Umral then reaches into his bag of holding, pulls out a gallon of ale, and starts drinking
    Last edited by Goaty14; 2017-11-17 at 07:57 PM.
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

20. - Top - End - #80

Aerowyn draws his bow and picks up the sunrod with his other hand. "Alright. Form the line we spoke of, we will see if we can get this door open in time, but I do not want to end up like them," He points the sunrod at the crushed skeletons under the door, "so we will go slowly. Walking pace."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Burroughs offers to take the rations, his backpack has space as his rations and water are outside in the saddlebacks of his dog.
    He tucks the alquemist fire in a special pocket on his belt ladden with lead. He makes sure his sword can be drawn easily from its sheat and grabs his composite shortbow an a green feathered arrow (+1 arrow).

Then he tells aerowyn Let me go in front with you Elf, I don't want to spring any traps, but my eyes allow me to see without that light which will probably give away our position to any ambush.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

"If my memory serves," replies Malthena, "Thurman the Holy saved the Three Clans when he put to rest the Unsleeping Wyrm, who made a mockery of life and death alike as the chief lieutenant of the balor Parvax. Had he destroyed the fiend's ballistae, or supply lines, or any other tool, I would grant him praise. He was a noble dwarf, loyal to his clan and his customs, as a ruler fair but strong, and his triumph merits praise. You sang it well. I hold no general love for the unliving; nor special fear. When the living freely grant us their use in death, we accept the offering as we would any other, for what burial could be more honorable than eternal service to a beloved cause? Raised without consent, bodies are desecrated more surely than the victims of any grave robbers, and restless souls cry in anger at the theft. Would that we could bury these corpses according to their custom, but given our pressing circumstances, I find the expedient use of their bodies little different than the use of their cherished gear we seem to have no qualms with appropriating. Speaking of which, Ivellis, what does your magic say about that scroll? A sometimes-seeker of arcane lore, I should be able to make use of it as well, given the need."

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Ivellis nods at his findings and disseminates the information, though he doesn't share the now rather depressing message on the axe. I have no need of the scroll, excepting extremely dire circumstances. If anyone else can make use of it, I suggest they take it. As for the axe, it can provide an increase in defensive or offensive capabilities depending on the will of the wielder. I recommend someone who knows their weapons better than I take it. At Aerowyn's instruction, Ivellis falls in line, taking extra care where he steps, eager to escape with his body alive and intact.
    Last edited by Luccan; 2017-11-19 at 03:30 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84

BlueKnightGuy

The air is thick and stale as you ascend into the room above.

The cathedral of Sham Bel Sharma is vast and daunting, sprawling with high terraces that extend back into the choking darkness. The room is five stories tall, with two more balcony-floors ascending ever still. The seven of you stand at the center of it all, at the lowest platform of the lowest floor, left to the scrutiny of the monks of old... who all face towards you from every angle. Their ankles are shackled beneath their robes, forever secured to their meditating places; and all about them are candles that have since been reduced to wax. Their skin is remarkably well preserved after all these years, and you can still make out their faces... stretched paper-thin over what's left of their bones.

At the head of the room, three terraces up, you can make out an old sarcophagus, at least fifteen feet long and five feet high.

On the first balcony, one story up... you can see a sunlight reflecting in from the outside.

Spoiler
    Show

On the second balcony, two stories up... another, small flame lingers still.
    Spoiler
    Show

The room is deathly still. You may be the first living things to walk upon this place in years.

Last edited by Devilfish; 2017-11-19 at 06:37 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85

In response to Burroughs, "As you wish."

Aerowyn spends a brief moment looking all around this large chamber, then speaks in a hushed tone, "To those stairs, straight through these poor fools, quietly as you can." He points to the in the upper-left corner of the room, and begins slowly walking in that direction, trying to be silent, climbing up each terrace without using the stairs.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming the monks aren't packed in really tight or anything.
    Last edited by Eladrinblade; 2017-11-19 at 06:11 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86

BlueKnightGuy

Climb: (1d20+9)[13]
    Tumble (Moving through squares via means of acrobatics): (1d20+11)[30]

Aerowyn climbs, with excruciating and arduous measures, up the terraces and through the monks without touching the stairs or the monks themselves. While they sit close together, you are able to tiptoe over and around them, leaving them as undisturbed as you found them. You are able to make it to the opposite end, and none of them react to your presence.

(There is also a very high likelihood that they are dead, but one can never take chances in these places)

The spiral staircase at both the northeast corner and northwest corners have collapsed. It is a fifteen foot climb to bridge the gap from one step to the next. Luck seems to favor you, however; this staircase has cracks, which may give surfaces to grab onto and permit an ascent.
    Last edited by Devilfish; 2017-11-19 at 06:31 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Ivellis nods at the rogue's words and follows him, as carefully as possible. He nudges Revindil in his pack Danger has passed.
    I need your eyes and ears, old friend.

Show

Tumble and Climb?

Tumble (1d20+3)[14]
    Climb (1d20+1)[19]

28. - Top - End - #88

HalflingPirate

Saeth intones a low mantra, and his eyes begin to glow with a violet light, "I'd prefer to see if any magic is hidden in this chamber before climbing all about it." He slowly turns around the room scanning it for auras.

Show

Cast Detect Magic, duration 30 rounds
    Divide the room up into 4 60' cones, roughly NE, SE, SW, and NW. He will spend up to three rounds observing each cone in that order. If there are no auras in a cone, he'll skip to the next one after only the one round.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Burroughs takes a moment to admire the scene, the devoted monks chained to their places, he studies them for as long as Aerowyn quickly climbs...

Spoiler: Knowledge Bardic
    Show
    (1d20+7)[17]

Then, cautiosly puts his bow away and takes a sip from a potion he had in one of his many belt pouches.

Spoiler: Hide from undead
    Show
    drinking hide from undead 10 minutes

And then he follows Aerowyn... He doubts the Orc wil be as subtle as the elf...

Spoiler: Climb and Tumble
    Show
    Climb(1d20+3)[6] Tumble (1d20+6)[25]

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

Malthena hangs back, not eager to climb in her armor. "Saeth, what do you see?"