New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Demons vs. Devils (Devil IC)

(From where you are, room 5, you cannot reach room 10 unopposed. You can get to rooms 2, 4, 11 or 12)
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2017-12-06 at 03:04 PM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xeroch View Post
    By Telluria's description, Xeroch sketches out a rough map on a roll of fine vellum produced from within the folds of his cloak. When it's finished, he presents it to the group. "This is all conjecture, but I'm willing to bet the way out of this maze is at one of the rooms that form dead ends." Points at rooms 9, 16 and 20 on the sketch. "It also looks like we can go through all of the remaining puzzle rooms after we defeat whatever lurks in room 10. I say we clear out that room and go take a look at number 9, then decide from there."
    Basa

Seems good enough, except I would suggest moving to all of the dead ends along the top first though. Which we can do by going back towards number 4,8,9,10,16,14,17,20... Which is good, but if I was creating a maze to block a highly guarded treasure, I would imagine there being implications to enforce avoiding other guards, such as this key that we have... Therefore, I cannot imagine going straight to the end would be sufficient.

To summarize, we have no complete way of knowing which way to go, given that whatever made all of this must surely be more powerful than us, and surely smarter excluding certain egos

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Making a bluff check to imply paddy thinks herself smarter than everything, but this is an edited post.
    Last edited by Goaty14; 2017-12-06 at 08:14 PM.
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC1 View Post
    (From where you are, room 5, you cannot reach room 10 unopposed. You can get to rooms 2, 4, 11 or 12)
    True, my meaning was: if we solve the riddle for room 11, and then beat the monster(s) at room 10, we could succesively access every odd-numbered room without having to enter other even-numbered ones.

Xeroch turns to Sabrina "You are right hand to Askaretha, highest and longest in her confidence; our team her fingers under your command." He says as he offers the map forward to her.
    Last edited by Sahigu; 2017-12-06 at 09:06 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Halfling in the Playground

Sabrina examines the map for a moment. So far, we have only seen evidence of keys being available from traps. The makers of this dungeon might not have counted on a group using the eyes to scout out the whole thing, and so only put them with puzzles, counting on the group stumbling across monsters as well and getting eaten. Until we have proof that keys are with monsters as well, we will avoid them wherever possible Coming from the erinyes whom you have seen to revel in battle, its a surprising attitude. We will head to 11, then take out 10 which will reveal if the kitty cats have keys and go from there.
    With no further ado, Sabrina hands the map back to Xeroch, and leads the way to room 11. Unless someone wants to listen at the door, seeing as it is not supposed to be inhabited, she kicks it open without further ado.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Paddy

Paddy giggles it itself as it follows the Erinyes maintaining it's position. "Don't be so hard on yourself dearie. I'm sure you'll get yourself under control if you spend a bit more time with your betters; that's why I'm here to guide you.

Oh, that reminds me; roughly what would you say is the distance between each room?"

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Kicking open the door, you see a strange set up. In the middle of the room is a pedestal, on top of which is a key that looks much like the two you have already obtained. It is covered by a shimmering sphere. In front of the pedestal is a machine with 9 levers on it with settings, forward or to either side, all of them are in a neutral position now. There is a small scroll rolled up on the machine. On one side of the machine is a table with gems on it, while the other holds items that could be bejeweled, all of them appear to have a hole in them.
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2017-12-08 at 06:18 PM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

7. - Top - End - #97
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Xeroch

Xeroch walks up to the machine, before reaching for the scroll he spares a moment to examine the holed objects on oneside, and the gems on the other "I wonder if these are supposed to be sockets for those gems." Then he opens the scroll and reads it aloud.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot check (1d20+34)[43] to notice any shape or color relation between the gems, objects and levers.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

It is quite clear that the gems fit into the holes. The scroll:

Straight ahead of you, you see the latest device for getting a key. On your right, you will see a large table filled with gems, while on your left, you will see items that can be bejeweled. Your task is to match all the gems to the items they fit, and then use that item to move the lever into position. Match them up right, and you will get the key. Dont get them right, and you will be left empty handed. The simple answer would be a straight match of the items that have holes in them, but whether that is right or not is something only time will answer. And on the subject of time, you will have no idea of how much time you have left, because there is the other group in this dungeon, and they will be on your tail. And even if they are not ready to pounce on you, if you delay too much and bore me, I might just release some horrible beast to slaughter you like the fodder that you are. Dont think for a moment that I dont have the power to kill you, because believe me, I do.
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2017-12-12 at 09:58 PM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh ho ho! Now THIS is interesting." with this Paddy uses it's powerful consciousness to sweep the area, looking deeply into each of the objects for any residue of magical energies, as one would expect of an expert of high arcana; with its discerning eye Paddy should readily recognize any magical auras and its skill with weaving magic leaves little to be desired in this endeavor.

From there it will attempt to appraise each gem and look for actual disparities and disimilarities between each gem, from their cut to their estimated value, but this is...not quite Paddy's expertise. All the while it ruminates over the meaning behind the exact wording of the note; perhaps there is a hint to be found there instead?

Spoiler
    Show
    Arcane Sight with an associated Spellcraft Check to identify any magical energies in the area (1d20+68)[70].

From there Paddy will attempt a lore check (replacing a relevant knowledge check at no DC penalty) to try to figure out if the gemstones have any significant differences. (1d20+42)[47]

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

The gems are all different types and sizes. The sockets are also of different sizes, the gems might fit them, you would have to test. There are 9 gems, and 9 items.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

11. - Top - End - #101
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Xeroch

The harvester then starts picking up gems and sockets, seemingly at random, looking closely at each one in turn, sometimes bringing a pair close together to see if there's any reaction. While he does so, his voice speaks inside the group's minds: If this scroll is to be believed, we have gained two good bits of information my friends. First: we are being observed, it's unsure to say even telepathy is uncompromised. Second: this observer thinks of us as light entertainment. I believe we can exploit this, if we play our cards right.

Finally, if he gets no further clue from the inspection of the objects, he speaks out loud and proposes pairing whichever gem is the smallest to the object with the smallest gem slot, and so on until the largest gem would be inside whichever object has the largest hollow.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Xeroch studies the gems and items for several minutes, pushing them back and forth for a while, but he finally comes to a conclusion, proposing a match up of gems to the items.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

13. - Top - End - #103
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Xeroch

Hearing no other ideas from the group, the harvester fits all gems into the objects he believes they match. Then, without breaking stride or asking for opinions, takes the one with the largest gem and places it on the tip of the leftmost lever so that the lever pushes the gem deeper into the hole1. He continues to top every lever with the objects in order of decreasing size, from left to right2.

Spoiler: footnotes
    Show
    1: Assuming there isn't any evident way to attach them.
    2: Again, assuming all levers are in a straight line, in case of a 3x3 square he starts left to right on the bottom row, followed by middle and top rows.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

With a click, each gem fits into its respective item. However, once each gem is attached, there is really no way to attach the item to a lever. There is only one opening on each, and the gem fills it, and wont go any deeper.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

There is no difference in any of the levers, nor is there a design on any of the items, before or after gem insertion.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

16. - Top - End - #106
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Well... short of holding a different object while activating (or attempting to, in any case) each lever, I'm out of ideas. For the different possible positions in each lever I'm willing to just go (9d3)[3][1][2][2][3][2][1][2][3](19).

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Can you tell me what position 1,2,3 represent?
    #GoreMutualarejerks

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Let's go left, front, right in order.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Nothing happens from that formation
    #GoreMutualarejerks

20. - Top - End - #110

Watching the actions of Xeroch, Sabrina suddenly takes the scroll and reads for a moment.
    Xeroch, use this combination
    Straight ahead of you, you see the latest device for getting a key. On your right, you will see a large table filled with gems, while on your left, you will see items that can be bejeweled. Your task is to match all the gems to the items they fit, and then use that item to move the lever into position. Match them up right, and you will get the key. Dont get them right, and you will be left empty handed. The simple answer would be a straight match of the items that have holes in them, but whether that is right or not is something only time will answer. And on the subject of time, you will have no idea of how much time you have left, because there is the other group in this dungeon, and they will be on your tail. And even if they are not ready to pounce on you, if you delay too much and bore me, I might just release some horrible beast to slaughter you like the fodder that you are. Dont think for a moment that I dont have the power to kill you, because believe me, I do.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Xeroch tries the newly proposed matchup, starting again with the leftmost lever first.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Manipulating the levers in the proposed arrangement, the shimmering field that surrounds the key disappears.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

23. - Top - End - #113

Once again, Sabrina claims the key and tucks it into her cleavage for safekeeping.
    On to room 10, for finally some battle action?

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Paddy

"Of course my little ones, of course! Just lead the way and stay between myself and the enemies; it would be a shame if I had to divert my power toward self defense as opposed to pure destructive power."

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Basa

I must say I'm impressed. Not any of you weaklings, but such a fool could think himself better than us. Not even wizard magic could compel such a fool.
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Paddy

"Shh, I believe little Sabrina can hear you. You could hurt the poor dearie's feelings! Also, I'm fairly certain it is a 'she'."

27. - Top - End - #117

Sabrina ignores the byplay, leading the way to room 10, the first battle the devil group will face.

What manner of creature did your little spies reveal here?

28. - Top - End - #118
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

As Sabrina walks towards the door, Xeroch moves to stand behind her. One of his hands rests on his hip, close to his belt.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

(DM responding for Morclean) A creature composed entirely of earth
    #GoreMutualarejerks

30. - Top - End - #120

Sabrina activates her shield spell and kicks open the door, springing into battle action.