New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 28 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

d20 [IC] Nature will gradually erase...

Okay, everyone's checked in and cleared that they're okay with the opening, so here we go, everybody!

OOC thread can be found here.

The Wilds, about ten miles from the nearest settlement of Vark:

No one has a name for the forest. It's ever expansive, continually growing, and to set borders or regions on it is just impractical. It is simply the Wilds, and you have been traveling in it for days along the road called the By-Winter, so called because it's one of the southernmost traversible trails and thus can be used even during the season of rain and snow, where the northern roads become impassible, either snowed over or washed out. Winter is one of the safest times to travel in the Wilds - though not all of the foul creatures living in the forests hibernate or otherwise decay during the cold months, a good majority of them do. And so winter has become the season of travel, and there is a steady flow of travelers on the roads. This is the season of trade, and caravans drift between settlements to resupply and trade information. But they require protection, of course. Everyone does, in the Wilds.

Today is no different.

The bushes nearby rustle, and you sense that you are being watched. Stalked, almost. There are others on the road nearby, at least, and that brings a small comfort - maybe whatever is waiting won't attack a large group. But the unease remains.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

I will roll group initiative after everyone's caught up over here. Feel free to post describing whether your character was with the caravan or a solitary traveler on the roads. If you don't have anything you want to do or say at this point, just let me know on the OOC thread that you're all right with just moving on to the first encounter!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: [IC] Nature will gradually erase...

Darach pushes his way through the brush, muttering quietly to himself as he does so. Splitting up had been an incredibly stupid decision. He really should have known better. Now he couldn't find any of the others, and this gods-forsaken forest had him turned around. Again.

He hears a rustle in the brush. "Brother Mendrion? Is that you?" he calls out, drawing his axe in case the answer is no. The lack of a response does not fill him with hope. He stops and listens intently, scanning the brush for signs of anything hostile. His hands tighten around his axe haft. There! He hears something! Listening more closely, it sounds like... it sounds like several wagons being pulled along. A caravan, perhaps. Sometimes they travel the roads around here. And if there's a road... Darach can use that to find his way back. Maybe they've even seen some other members of his expedition. Keeping his weapon at the ready just in case, he makes his way toward the sound. Sure enough, he finds himself on a dirt road with a caravan moving toward him. "Travelers!" he calls. "I don't suppose you've seen any other members of my church around here?" He indicates the rather prominent symbol on his tabard.
    Last edited by rs2excelsior; 2017-11-08 at 08:27 PM.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Kayugi, dressed in her usual cloak, shirt, and trousers, all with a positively EXCESSIVE amount of pockets, hears Darach and calls over to him. No, it's not-not unless something REALLY crazy happened-but I promise I'm not here to hurt anyone!
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quickly traveler! Make your way into the light! There are creatures about who would love to snap you up like a holy morsel! Hastur had been walking alongside the wagons, telling a fanciful tale about a humble, magnificent, powerful, and handsome genie who toyed with and swindled a professional card shark. It was meant to lift the spirits of the travelers and guards and ward their courage from the obvious sounds of danger lurking about them. Daedalus had been smiling and playing along with the tale, seeing no harm in the fiction, but now he climbed up onto the wagon with effort and called out to the endangered holy man. Sir, there have been... things... following us in the darkness for some miles now! We haven't seen your companions, but we have seen dark shapes in the underbrush! Quickly, come to us before they strike you in the shadows! His voice is a high quaver, all the distraction of Hastur's boasting falling away, leaving only a cold fear of the nearby unknown. He reaches down and mutters a few words, grabbing a small piece of cured leather from one of his pouches and touching it to Hastur's brawny shoulders. Prepare for the worst, Hastur. This spell should last all night, so I don't feel bad using it now. Hopefully it isn't needed... Your warding is appreciated, Daedalus. I stand ready. The genie draws his falchion as near invisible plates of force coalesce around his body, both eidolon and master keeping a keen eye on the brush.

Show
    Casting Mage Armor on Hastur. Seems a worthwhile precaution, since it lasts hours.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2017-11-09 at 12:41 AM.
    The Bear is Back.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Mercuira has been riding along bored in one of the wagons near the rear of the caravan, the low rumble of the wheels and conversation among the other members near lulling her to sleep. She's not even sure exactly where she's going, she got a short description of a town and "you'll know it when you see it" and "I'm pretty sure this next caravan will go there"... It's been a few days and they haven't even seen a town. So much for friendly advice, those idiots from back home. Well, at least she's away from there, and hopefully this...poorly described...town actually has what she's looking for.

She starts as a stranger approaches and asks if they suppose they've seen any other members of his church around here. "No, I don't suppose I have", she mutters to nobody in particular.
    Last edited by theasl; 2017-11-09 at 02:21 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Even in the depth's of winter's grip, when the Wilds slumbers, it still shifts restlessly. By-Winter is one of the largest and most traveled routes, but from day to day, portions of it disappears into the Wilds grasp, only to reappear, the paths crooked, leading the unwary away from the settlements and into the heart of the Wilds, never to be heard from again. Guides, experienced (and some say insane or foolish) foresters are at a premium to help guide caravans along the shifting path of By-Winter, and get them safely from settlement to settlement. Jarome has traveled enough to gain a reputation as one such guide, and now leads a small party of people, wagons and pack animals along the trail, bound for the settlement of Vark.

Jarome is at the front of the small caravan, eyes watching the ground and woods warily, his shortbow held before him with an arrow nocked at all times. When Darach crashes through the brush, he is met with the sight of the tall human standing ready, shortbow bent into a U at full extension and arrow aimed squarely at his heart. The human relaxes his bow immediately on seeing Darach and points his bow once more at the ground, a faint expression of relief crossing his face.

"Well met, traveler. That's the symbol of the Cult of the Ascendent Stars, yes? You're the first of your order I've seen in months, so no. If your group was looking to travel to Vark, we're heading there ourselves."

Jarome glances around at the undergrowth and listens to the rustlings around them. More then the light breeze would account for. "Daedalus and Hastur are correct, priest. We're being stalked, and there is more safety in numbers then alone."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Sisqui had been following the caravan's wheel ruts and muddied tracks for a few hours now trying to catch up. Though the road made an easy go of the journey, it also meant whoever was on them was an exposed target for the varied dangers of the Wilds; thus, when she'd picked up the group's trail, Sisqui had decided it would be madness to toss away her good fortune in having fellow travelers on the road. Rounding a bend and hearing voices calling out to one another, she started forward, but her greeting died in her throat as she heard the telltale signs of something in the woods.

Unlimbering her bow from around her shoulders, the stocky dwarven huntress scanned the trees for clues as to the nature of these other followers. As she ran forward on silent feet, she called out as loudly as she dared to the nearest group, a gathering of big people who looked like they had spotted something too. "Hinik aia, utku," she started, before coloring slightly and continuing in the lowlanders' tongue. "Back from the forest, for I think you have guests less polite than I."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

The caravan is used to the threat of danger by now, so at the clear signs that combat may be on the way, the carts circle up, the pack animals moving quickly as they have been trained into a defensive position. The creatures pulling the wagons are mostly horses, animals said to have once been part of the stars but had been driven down to earth by one of the Star Gods to serve mankind by carrying their burdens, but a few Moa, a naturally occurring flightless bird native to the Wilds, have also been tamed to lug some of the load. They chitter and chirp anxiously as they peek over the wagons towards the forest. They, along with those who aren't prepared for combat, get in the middle of the circle of wagons as eerie howls echo through the woods nearby. As the distinct sound of rustling brush comes closer, the howls grow more ominous, and soon enough, two beasts leap from the treeline. They are canine in appearance, but they have quills running up and down their spines, which are standing on end aggressively as the creatures circle closer. Red-eyed and mouths frothing with the prospect of a fresh kill, they approach, growling.

Spoiler: Initiative time!
    Show

Monsters (1d20+6)[20]
    Darach (1d20+5)[22]
    Mercuira (1d20+4)[20]
    Jarome (1d20+5)[10]
    Sisqui (1d20+6)[7]
    Daedalus (1d20+4)[11]
    Hastur (1d20+5)[8]
    Kayugi (1d20+4)[15]

All right, because the monsters actually have a lower dex than Mercuira, Mercuira and Darach are up first! Then the monsters will act, then everyone else. You don't have to post in a strict order, just so long as the monsters act after Darach and Mercuira and before everyone else. So rs2excelsior and theasl need to post, then I will with the monster's actions, then everyone can go, and I will resolve the round.
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2017-11-09 at 01:15 PM.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

-Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Darach joins the caravan as they are circling to defend themselves. He came here to purge the foul beasts of this place, doing so while protecting a group of travelers is even better. "I've heard the creatures too,", he tells them, readying his axe once more. He begins muttering a blessing as the group waits for whatever the creatures are to make an appearance.

When the creatures do come into sight, Darach lets out a roar and leaps toward them, swinging his axe over his head. "Come now! The vengeance of the Star Gods is upon you!"

Show
    Casting Bless on the party before we engage, if that's okay. It lasts three minutes, so if we were waiting longer than that it has expired. Assuming those effects are still in play that gives everyone +1 to attacks and saves vs. fear.

Swift action to activate the Destruction judgement, for +2 damage so long as combat lasts. Move up and attack the nearest creature.

Attack: (1d20+8)[16]
    Damage: (1d12+9)[17]
    If Bless is still in effect put an extra +1 on the attack roll

Rolling knowledge (nature) to try and identify the creatures, using monster lore: (1d20+8)[23]
    If I need to roll something different I can as well.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

-----

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Seeing the creatures finally emerge from the underbrush after the wagon-circling, Mercuira silently drops, picking up her trusty longbow and gathering an arrow. Then, peeking her head and the bow over the side of the wagon and taking careful aim, she fires it off at the nearest one.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    move action to draw, standard action to attack with deadly aim
    attack (1d20+10)[15]
    damage (1d8+5)[9] + (2d6)[10] sneak attack
    Last edited by theasl; 2017-11-09 at 02:49 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Darach's Knowledge Check
    Show

Darach is able to quickly identify these unique looking creatures as Howlers - so called for the eerie sound they make when on the hunt. Truly evil creatures, these strange extraplanar beings don't actually need to eat to survive - they merely go on hunts for the thrill of killing. They move incredibly quickly and their quills are laced with a poison which causes immense pain if they break off into another creature's skin. Bonus "fun fact" for being an inquisitor with the monster lore: They are highly intelligent and can understand human speech, but only Abyssal. This is all you are able to remember at the moment, in the heat of a fight.

The two Howlers seem surprised at the quick retaliation - they were likely expecting you all to break and run, but the large creatures react quickly. The Howler snaps at Darach as he draws close for a swing, able to reach forward enough to try and sink his teeth into him before the axe makes contact.

Spoiler: Attack Of Opportunity
    Show

Bite (1d20+8)[18]
    Damage (1d8+4)[5]

The axe sinks into the creature's flesh and it lets out a sharp cry, but it's quills dig into Darach's arm. Luckily, Darach knew this was coming, and so with surprising deftness, he is able to twist away, not without a few pock marks, but the quills do not become embedded in his skin.

Spoiler: Quill Damage on Darach
    Show

(1d4+1)[4]

The Howler growls, baring its pointed teeth at Darach, ready to take another bite at him, when the arrow suddenly sails out and embeds into its side. Surprised by the attack, it wheezes and staggers - clearly the arrow has pierced its lung. It still manages to snap at Darach once again, however, before it collapses to the ground, unconscious.

Spoiler: Attack on Darach
    Show

Bite (1d20+8)[24]
    Damage (1d8+4)[7]

Total of 11 damage on Darach between the defensive quills and this bite.

Wow, that was fast. Ruling that the sneak attack goes through since technically it hasn't acted yet. Attack of Opportunity sort of blurs the line, but I'll let you have it just because I think it's incredible you reduced it to EXACTLY zero HP.

Now at -1, needs to stabilize: (1d20+2)[21] Creature is stable.

The second creature, infuriated by the fall of its companion, lets out a shrill howl, head tipping back for a long moment. It seems ready to take its revenge, and leaps at Sisqui, teeth bared, but lashing at her with its tail instead, as its mouth is occupied with the howl.

Spoiler: Attacks
    Show

Everyone needs to roll a Will Save. DC 12 negates the damage, but anything 11 or lower causes one Will damage. This is a sonic mind-affecting effect, so any bonuses that cover that can be applied.
    Quill Attack (1d20+3)[18]
    Damage (1d4+2)[4]

If the attack connects, Sisqui will need to roll a reflex save as well.
    Four damage on Sisqui, and she needs to make the Reflex save as well.
    Spoiler: Details on the Save
    Show
    Pain (Ex) Whenever a creature takes damage from a howler's quill attack or its quill defense, that creature must make a successful DC 14 Reflex save or one quill breaks off in its flesh, causing the target to become sickened until all embedded quills are removed. Removing one quill requires a DC 15 Heal check made as a full-round action. For every 5 by which the check is exceeded, one additional quill can be removed. On a failed check, a quill is still removed, but the process deals 1d4+1 points of damage to the victim. The save DC is Dexterity-based.
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2017-11-09 at 03:16 PM.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

12. - Top - End - #12

Spoiler: Will Save
    Show

Will Save: (1d20+5)[22]
    Edit+4 from Well-Versed, not that it was needed

Jarome raises his voice, his baritone rolling over the howl of the aptly named monster. The song is and old and well known one, said to hail from the early days of the fight against the Wilds. The stirring melody washes over all those who can hear it, inspiring their courage.

Jarome uses Inspire Courage. All party members receive +1 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +1 competence bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls. This stacks with the bonuses from Bless, don't forget to add them both to your attacks and damage!
    Last edited by Gyrfalcon; 2017-11-09 at 03:21 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing that the newcoming Dwarf holds a bow, Daedalus points towards the howler threatening her. Hastur! Help her get some space on that creature! And watch out for the spines! Then he reaches down and pulls a lock of stiff hair from his pouch, tossing it over his eidolon with a shout. Hekkah bellarum! The rune of a summoner glows bright red on his forehead, and it lights up on Hastur too as the genie nearly swells out of his vest.

Do not despair, she-Dwarf! Hastur the Glorious comes to your aid! The brutish outsider rushes forward, giving a booming cry in Ignan as he does, slicing with his falchion in a vertical arc to try to cleave the beast in half.

Show
    Casting Bull's strength on Hastur before he charges off into battle. With all buffs included, the numbers get quite nice.
    (1d20+12)[29] and damage (2d4+11)[14] . And for the howler spines, Hastur gets a (1d20+2)[13].
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2017-11-09 at 03:42 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

14. - Top - End - #14

Eat tanglation, fiend! Kayugi yells as she tosses a sticky bomb at the beast.

Show
    (1d20+11)[13] +8 normally, +1 for Point Blank Shot, +2 from Bless and Inspire. Right?
    Make a DC 16 reflex save or be entangled and glued to the ground.

Precise Bombs means no one else is hit.

9 bombs left.

Show
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #15

MindFlayer

As the beast comes for her, Sisqui calmly nocks an arrow, her eyes never wavering. At the last moment, she steps smoothly away from its tail, grimacing with pain as the tip of a quill slices her cheek shallowly. With the beast momentarily off-balance from the force of the large sword-wielding "man", Sisqui fires once, twice from her bow, arrows aimed for the creature's joints.

Show
    Sisqui makes the reflex save and the will save. Because she has Point Blank Master she does not provoke for firing in melee, so she will do just that and Flurry of Arrows the 2nd creature (assuming it's not already dead from the genie). Attacks are made Flurrying (-1) with Deadly Aim (-2), but with the bonuses for Point Blank SHot (+1), Bless (+1) and Inspire Courage (+1).

attack 1 - (1d20+8)[23], damage 1 - (1d8+8)[14]
    attack 2 - (1d20+8)[12], damage 2 - (1d8+8)[14]

Afterwards, if she can and the beast is still up, she will take a 5 foot step into a flanking position, threatening with her unarmed strike.
    Last edited by Da'Shain; 2017-11-09 at 04:29 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

The Howler steps away from the bomb's sticky clutches, but while it's still following through on the swing at Sisqui's face, Hastur's sword takes a nice slice up it's middle. It's quills stab into the genie's arms, however, inflicting their own damage, and as Hastur twists his blade, one of the quills breaks off and embeds in his arm, filling him with a sickening feeling of pain.

Spoiler: Quill Damage
    Show

You were so close on the save! (1d4+1)[3]
    Hastur is sickened until the quill is removed, which requires a full round action and a DC 15 heal check, otherwise there will be a little more damage.

Off-balance from the sword, the Howler takes one of the arrows to the chest, while the other flies wide. It hisses and yowls, unearthly sounds echoing around the clearing, but they no longer seem to affect you as badly as they did before. It's badly injured, but it doesn't flee, and Sisqui is able to step forward, both she and Hastur threatening it now.

Show

Everyone passed the save, so you're all immune to the howl for 24 hours. Darach and Mercuira, you're up!
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2017-11-09 at 04:42 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Darach shoves the beast off of him and wrenches his axe free from its side. He takes a moment to make sure it's no longer moving and gives Mercuria a small nod, as a combination "thank you" and "well done." The bite he's taken hurts, but it's nothing serious, so he sprints the distance to the second creature--currently surrounded by the dwarf and the strange outsider--and presses the attack. As he comes near he brings the heavy axe down swiftly, hopefully striking the creature and putting an end to its evils.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Not charging unless I have to cover more than 20 feet to get to it. I'll eat another AoO if I need to.

Attack roll: (1d20+12)[32] counting +1 from Bless, +1 from Inspire Courage, and +2 from flanking.
    Damage: (1d12+10)[19]

Reflex save for avoiding the quills? (1d20+4)[5]

-----

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

The howler yowls as Darach nears, fangs ready to sink into his skin and bared to do so when he gets in range.

Spoiler: AoO
    Show

(1d20+8)[24]
    Damage (1d8+4)[8]

Also, quill damage on Darach (1d4+1)[3]

Total of 11 Damage on Darach, and both he and Hastur need to make a heal check to remove the spine without taking more damage.

Its quills dig in to Darach's skin, however, one burying in his flesh even as he brings his axe down right on the back of its neck. Its spine snaps, severs, and the head of the creature is sliced cleanly away from the rest of its body. Both the head and its body fall to the ground, unmoving.

Spoiler: EXP
    Show

270 experience to everyone! You can look around for loot if you like.
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2017-11-09 at 05:01 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Jarome uses his sword to finish the slowly dying Howler before switching back to his bow, looking around carefully for any sign of more enemies, and in the faint hope that these two had dragged a fully laden treasure chest along as a gift.

He spares a grimace for the two souls with Howler quills sticking out of them, but knows he doesn't have the medical skills to do much good in extracting the barbed quills painlessly.

20. - Top - End - #20

MindFlayer

Blood sprays across Sisqui's face as the creature falls apart in front of her from the force of the axe blow, and she nods appraisingly at the man who delivered the blow. "Swift and sure, lowlander," she compliments him as she kneels before the beast, withdrawing her skinning knife. She carefully cut her arrow from the thing's flesh, wiped it, and returned it to her quiver; she could replace it if she had some time, but she had no desire to go looking for the right wood again. She stood and surveyed the man more closely. "Looks like it got its clutches in you," she says. "Do you need help with the removal?"

After the man's answer, she went to search for her other arrow, as well as to try and pick up the trail of the beasts and see what may have driven them here.

Show
    Sisqui's arrows are Durable Arrows so she takes the time to retrieve them if she can. She offers an Aid Another on Darach's quill wound if he wants:
    Spoiler: Aid Another if requested
    Show
    [roll=Heal (untrained)]1d20+4[/roll]

After that, she goes searching for the beasts trails and anything of interest:
    Survival - (1d20+12)[28]
    Perception - (1d20+11)[31]

* post roll count doesn't match database

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Darach accepts the dwarf's compliment with a nod. "And to you. It takes a great deal of courage to face down a beast like this with nothing more than a bow." He turns to make sure the other monster is being dealt with, and sees that the bard seems to be taking care of it. A sharp pain running through his side reminds him of the creature's dying counterattack and he grimaces. "Certainly. It doesn't look like it will come out easily, I will not turn down the help." Muttering a brief prayer for strength, he attempts to remove the barb without causing further damage.

Spoiler: Heal Check
    Show
    I don't actually have ranks in heal... because usually that's covered by cure spells. Might be worth some investment.

With the Aid Another bonus: (1d20+5)[23]

The quill comes out cleanly, if not painlessly. Darach turns to Hastur, seeing that the outsider has also sustained the same injury. "Do you require assistance removing that quill? I can also heal your injuries afterwards."
    Last edited by rs2excelsior; 2017-11-09 at 05:32 PM.

-----

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Any aid would be appreciated. I am many things, but a healer is not one of them. And Daedalus doesn't know the difference between a scalpel and a great sword. My wounds are minor, however. Let us save your healing magics until it is needed, holy warrior or virtue. Hastur gingerly extends his arm, the spine jutting from it like an over sized sliver.

Is everyone alright? That got pretty hairy pretty fast. We should get moving before more of them smell the bluh... the blood. Daedalus goes a bit pale, shaking himself as the spines are removed from Hastur's arm. Damn shared senses worked too well sometimes.
    The Bear is Back.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Mercuira returns the nod and prepares to fire again, but before she gets the chance, the creatures are taken down by Jarome, that annoying pet genie, and the religious newcomer. As they heal up from their wounds, she scans around silently for any more signs of danger; the howls could very well alert other beasts on the prowl for victims.

Show
    perception I guess (1d20+9)[24]
    Last edited by theasl; 2017-11-09 at 05:53 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Darach turns to Sisqui. "I could use some assistance with this one as well, if you're willing," he says. He begins to work on removing the spine from Hastur's arm.

Spoiler: More heal checks!
    Show
    (1d20+3)[19]
    Throw an extra +2 on there if Sisqui manages to aid again. Although she's actually better than I am, perhaps she should make the roll--if you want (and if the DM's okay with it) I'll make this an Aid Another roll instead.

-----

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

As the party regroups and scans the local area, the forest returns to a state of oppressive silence. The feeling of being watched doesn't leave, but the trees have eyes everywhere. Still, the immediate feeling of danger is gone, and gradually birdsong returns to the area. Mercuira is able to make out a couple of the sparrows perching in the trees, returning to the area as the most oppressive aura of danger deserts them. The Moa seem a little less easy to calm than their avian cousins, and the caravan hands are anxiously trying to soothe them so they don't break and run off into the woods.

Unfortunately and despite Jarome's wishes, the two creatures were not lugging a treasure chest around behind them. However, in the throat of the creature whose head Darach sliced off, there is something shining - a silver, jeweled ring, probably from a previous victim. Perhaps they had survived the creature's bite, perhaps not. Their tracks lead back into the woods, Sisqui can make them out despite the thick underbrush, since the entire forest is muddy at this time of year. The tracks are as large as the dwarf's forearm, and are deep in the ground, showing how much the creatures weighed. They're rather unmovable for now, but maybe the sight of dead creatures this size will ward off anything else that wants to attack - after all, if you could take these down...

The quills are safely extracted from Hastur and Darach's arms without substantial pain caused. The caravan hands calmed their horses and Moa, looking around to Jarome to see if it's safe. After all, he is their guide.
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2017-11-09 at 07:10 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Darach notices the glint of silver in the creature's severed head and examines it, recovering the ring. "Hmm. Interesting." Without saying much else, he draws a long dagger from his belt and slits the creature open. "Looks like this thing might have eaten some poor soul. If there are remains I would like to put them to rest properly,", he explains, in case anyone is curious about why he is suddenly dissecting the monster. As he does so, he mutters some words to himself, and his wounds begin to close.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Survival roll to see if there's anyone (or anything of value) inside the creature: (1d20+8)[26]
    Cure Light Wounds: (1d8+3)[5]

-----

27. - Top - End - #27

Whew, Kayugi says, seeing the beasts felled. Everyone okay? Yeah, everyone okay. What were those?

Show
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Satisfied that there's no more threat, Mercuira joins the crowd of gawkers. "I've got no idea what they are. Just another nightmare that the Wilds conjured up to wipe us all out, I guess."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Whew, Kayugi says, seeing the beasts felled. Everyone okay? Yeah, everyone okay. What were those?
    Howlers. Evil creatures from the far reaches of the abyssal realms. They hunt mortals for sport, seeing as they have no need to eat. They've been more and more common in the Wilds as of late. Their brand of savage evil suits the predatory nature of the place quite well, I'm afraid. There may be more out there, but they are intelligent enough to recognize the threat we present. Hopefully we won't have problems with any more. Daedalus blinks, having released that gush of information in one long breath. He takes another one to steady his nerves. He looks around at the newcomers and the other members of the caravan. How impolite of me. My name is Daedalus Frow. I'm something of a scholar in the nature of other planes, and the beings that reside on them. My companion is...

Hastur on Red Sands. I am a Djinni, one of those outer planar beings Daedalus spoke of, and one who has made a pact with him. We are also, luckily enough, great friends and allies. Do not worry, mortals. I am far kinder and more noble then these beasts. Not to mention more beautiful. The eidolon flexed both his bulging biceps and kissed first one, then the other.

Yes, yes. Not to mention brash, arrogant, and boastful. We were both simply travelling with the caravan for safety.
    I'm thankful to Hilal that we had guards to aid us in circumstances like this, and even more thankful that other travelers who could help were with us or nearby. Are all of us heading to Vark? If so, we should travel as one, to avoid encouraging any other packs or beasts to confront us.
    Daedalus raises the small wooden butterfly kept on a thong around his neck, giving it a kiss to show reverence for the god of change.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2017-11-10 at 12:45 AM.
    The Bear is Back.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Darach is able to successfully cut open the creature as the other members of the uneasy crowd speak to one another. Fortunately (or perhaps unfortunately, depending on a particular person's viewpoint) all that is inside the creature's stomach is a hand, not a full body. There is something else glinting inside the beast, though, when Darach pulls out the hand - a charm bracelet is attached to it, held on by steaming blood. The band is silver, and so are the beads, exactly like the ring. Darach is able to retrieve the two items for closer inspection, once the blood is cleaned off.