New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Nature will gradually erase...

Both of the Voonith chuckled in response to Darach's words, a wheezy sort of chortling between them. "Innocent... dead. Heeee," one purred, but the other rested its head on its finger-like appendages, seeming thoughtful.

"More dead onessss... meansss likely more coming down to try and ssssstop the yellow-bloomss. Meansss more disssturbancessss," he said, tail twitching. He looked up at the group. "If the mongrelssss wish to meet usss outside their wallsss, we will lead them to the Ssssanctuary."
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2017-12-27 at 04:14 PM.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

-Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

That sounds quite reasonable. That would allow us to make sure that the threat is ended and we can all go back to living peacefully. Daedalus was hopeful this could all be worked out without troubling these creatures, while Hastur continued to grumble and growl at their choice of language.
    The Bear is Back.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"Very well. We will meet you outside. And will tell the dwarves to leave you in peace." Darach turns to the others. "I don't like the sound of this 'Sanctuary.' But it sounds like something worth investigating. I'm not sure how much we can trust these creatures... but I'm willing to risk it, at least."

Spoiler: Sense motive
    Show
    Just in case, to see if they're leading us into a trap: (1d20+11)[18]
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yesssss, yesss. We will meet you," the creatures agreed, before getting up. They climbed up the walls and over a ledge and out of sight, but before they were completely gone, their voices called back. "We wait for your arrival two daysss! Come out to the road, and we will find you," they almost sang.

Spoiler: Darach
    Show
    You seem to think they're being honest. They do intend to lead you to this Sanctuary place. But you're not entirely sure if it will be good or bad for you once you get there.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Barbarian in the Playground

Jarome relaxes as the two creatures depart peacefully, and unstrings his bow now that there is no further combat to be expected.

”Well, that was an odd encounter. Either way, we can report to the miners that the threat that claimed their kin has been dealt with for now. Perhaps the city will be willing to pay us a new contract to deal with this ‘Sanctuary’ those two spoke of. Though contract or no, I think we have to deal with it.

Now, did everyone come out of that healthy? Or should we find a priest to check us over to be safe?”
    Last edited by Gyrfalcon; 2017-12-27 at 04:50 PM.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"Well. We'd better prepare for more plant-killing, then. I think the miners will be interested in what we found." Mercuira stashes her bow on her back as the creatures leave and they prepare to head back up.
    Last edited by theasl; 2017-12-27 at 05:14 PM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Darach gives a half-smile. "Plant killing is why I'm here. Let's get going." He slings his axe across his back and follows Mercuira back up toward the surface. He's not looking forward to telling the dwarves the fate of their comrades, but hopefully they'd understand it was necessary.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

-----

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

I must say, well done all. I've been involved with far less professional endeavors. Hopefully the miners feel the need to reward us well for such a thorough job. Daedalus follows, smiling wide and basking in the feeling of victory.

Comrades, we stand united in victory! Let us go eat, drink, and enjoy other more sensual libations!
    The Bear is Back.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

On the Surface:

The party is able to make it back up to the surface quickly enough. It does take some work to get back up the slippery corridor with which Darach, Daedalus, Jarome, and Hastur became well acquainted with on the way down. With the use of pitons from Darach's climbing kit, however, you all successfully make it up without any broken limbs and no wounds (except, perhaps, some damage to your pride).

When the party emerges back into the room where the miners and overseers are waiting, they seem surprised to see you. It has been only a few hours since you descended, and some of their shock is just at seeing you back so soon. However, it's pretty clear that a couple of the supervisors are surprised to see you back at all. Boris is one of them, but he simply shakes his head in disbelief. A small smile is on his features however, and he leans back in his chair. "I assume that, since you're all back in one piece, the job's been a resounding success?" he asks.

10. - Top - End - #220

Jarome has waited until the miners has seen them come into the room, covered in dirt, mud and disheveled from the fighting and climbing around in the pits. Now, he murmurs a few words as he flicks his fingers at each of his companions and them himself, letting a minor act of magic clean them up as fresh as they had been that morning.

"We were indeed, good sir. We put to rest your lost kin, and found the plant abominations that had turned them into zombies. In the course of our explorations, we retrieved some of their gear, among them this pick." the human retrieved the masterwork pick from his bag and set it on the table in front of the foremen. "We also found that the caverns below are inhabited by creatures that Darach identified as Voonith. Unlike the inhabitants of the Forest, they are not innately hostile, though their sense of humor is quite... odd. Through them, we discovered that the lowest caverns have another entrance in the wilds outside the settlement. The Voonith use this entrance themselves, to rest in the safety of the caverns, but a spore zombie found its way through that entrance, which is what led to the infestation below.

The Voonith have offered to guide us to what they call a "Sanctuary" where more of these plants can be found. It might also be in the town's interests to see if perhaps a partnership can be struck up with them. Perhaps your miners can make expansions to the tunnels for the Voonith, and they can help guard against further incursions into what is their home as well."

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Darach nods in agreement with Jarome's assessment. "We regret we could not recover the bodies of the deceased minors, but the danger of worsening the infestation was too great. Hopefully we will be able to find this "Sanctuary" and prevent this from happening again. As far as the Voonith..." He scowls. "I would not trust their loyalty too far. Their goddess is far too sympathetic to the forest for my liking. But if you could strike a deal with them which they would honor, they could be valuable, I will admit."

-----

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Boris leans forward at once when the pick is placed down on the table, looking it over. You are able to see in the better lighting that there is some Dwarven script engraved in the wooden handle of the pick. One side says Nuha, and the other is presumably the name of the crafter, Skoggi Smith. Boris hums. "This was Arengar's," he says, taking it back gratefully. "His family will be glad to have it back, and to know that he and his fellow miners are at rest," he says. He stands up from his chair then, giving a nod to several of his workers, who come forward with pouches of gold, as well as a scroll box. Each of you receives 200 gold, as well as a scroll of paper from the box. Upon unrolling them, you find lineage papers of a rare breed of strong horse native to New Ceres - the hybrid of domesticated horses and a wild, striped equine found out in the wilds, called Quagga. "I trust that the gold and these mounts are an agreeable payment?" Boris asks, settling back down once he sees that the reward has been handed over. He strokes a hand over his greying beard in thought. "I will send down a new group of men into the mines to see if we can find these Voonith. But if you were able to go to this Sanctuary and clear out any dangers, then-" he is interrupted suddenly as the doors of the room slam open. Standing there is another dwarf, whose dress and jewelry indicate he is probably fairly high up on social scale here in Vark.

"Boris!" he calls, completely cutting off the current conversation. "Trouble in the forest - something's approaching the cliff face, quickly!" he says in a panic. Boris rises to his feet, and from under the table, draws out a beautiful mithril hammer. A frown is on his features.

"Calm down now, Hrothran," Boris speaks, keeping his voice even. "Vark has stood strong for three centuries, now. Isn't anything going to knock us off easily," he says. His gaze turns towards you all, and there is a questioning look in his eyes. He doesn't ask aloud, but each of you is sure the look is requesting aid.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Darach needs no further invitation. He draws his axe from across his back and nods toward Boris. "How can we help?"

-----

14. - Top - End - #224

Jarome tucks away the pouch and the papers of ownership for the mount, and swiftly strings his bow once more.

"No rest for the wicked, and the righteous need none. The former covers myself, the latter Darach. Let's go see what new monstrosity the Forest has cooked up and send it into the Void." he says with an easy grin, though the humor doesn't fully reach his eyes, which hold a worried glint.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Daedalus swallows and nods to the rest of his companions. In for a copper, in for a platinum, as they say. Let's go see if this is something that we can help handle for the community. Hastur nods, but he is looking over the scroll for the mounts they would receive and nodding happily. Yes, let us go and fight these new monsters. Perhaps this will lead to even greater rewards when we vanquish our foes.
    The Bear is Back.

16. - Top - End - #226

Goblin

Taicho had been long quiet. The Voonith unnerved him and he got the impression they looked at him like a bit of food and not like a person. He was glad to reemerge from the cavern and complete their mission so far. Two Hundred gold seemed more than fair and a horse was worth near its weight in gold. This 'Sanctuary' needed to be dealt with. Taicho was more than up to the task.

When the other person came crashing in speaking of an attack Taicho seemed to come out of a daze. Where do you need us?

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

Boris gives a nod as you all leap to action. "Follow me," he says, leading the way out to the walls. The streets are mostly deserted at this point - a few dwarves are ushering younger ones inside, either into inns or their houses, whichever is closest. But out by the wall where Boris leads you, looking in the direction of the forest, is the tiefling and summoner from before. Both look alert as they stare out over the forest.

You all can see, in the distance, what looks like a mass of swirling, sentient leaves twisting and writhing in the air, swarming so thick that its blocking out the light beneath them to the trees below. The swarm is moving slowly, but ever closer to the settlement.

"Leaf Rays," the tiefling murmurs, a bit of a growl in his voice, but he sounds a bit... excited, at the prospect. He snaps his fingers a couple times, and sparks come off of them. "Nothing a little heat can't handle," he says, before Corrin speaks up.

"Lighting ablaze a swarm like that would be a catastrophe for the forest below," he murmured. "And while I'm sure pressing back the woods wouldn't be a bad plan, a fire like that could choke out the entire city. We need another angle..."

It is at this point that the pair notice the party approaching. The tiefling's tail twists and he smiles welcomingly at the group, while Corrin's gaze is still on the swarm. Finch stretches her wings and shakes herself, before lifting into the sky, a few feet above Corrin's head. This seems to get the tiefling's attention again.

"You mean that sort of angle?" he asks, and Corrin nods. He glances, finally, over to the party.

"You here to help?"

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Darach nods, sizing up the situation. "Not that much I can do against flying creatures, but if they come low they'll meet my axe. And I can offer you a bit of help, as well." He begins muttering a prayer, while trying to remember anything he can about the leaf rays.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Casting Bless on the party+Corrin and the tiefling, just in case. Lasts for 3 minutes.
    Knowledge (Nature) roll with monster lore: (1d20+8)[22]
    Knowledge (Arcana): (1d20+8)[24]
    Knowledge (Religion): (1d20+10)[19]

-----

19. - Top - End - #229

Jarome nods to the other adventurers. "Gentlemen, good to see you again. I agree that fire is likely effective against them, but aside from a few potions of alchemist's fire, I have precious little on my person that's well suited to handling such swarms. We might be better off herding everyone into the mine entrance and holding the entrance against any that investigate as they move by."

Show

Knowledge (nature) check to know more about the creatures - (1d20+9)[27]

How wet has it been recently? Is the Forest in a wet or dry season currently? Basically, how likely are we to start out of control forest fires if we do start torching the enemies?

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

If someone comes up with a strategy, count Hastur and I in. Neither one of us is particularly adept at fighting opponents in the air, but if there is some way to negate that advantage we'll do whatever we can to help the town. Daedalus reloads his crossbow with nervous fingers, more to keep him occupied than out of any hope it will have an effect. Hastur eyes the swarming creatures and nods his agreement, fingers flexing on his sword in frustrated impotence.
    The Bear is Back.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Mercuira simply shrugs as she looks over the wall and draws her bow. Arrows probably won't help against that, though...

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Knowledge Checks and Weather
    Show
    Those nature checks were pretty high, haha. You all know that, individually, leaf rays don't present much of a problem. But in a swarm, they can be quite troublesome. Growing in the upper canopies of massive trees, leaf rays fly through the air in search of food. Barely sentient, leaf rays have just enough intelligence to find nourishment and pick out creatures suitable for harboring their seeds. These creatures are hardly picky in their quest for either, merely requiring a warm-blooded living creature, preferably mammalian, for each purpose. Leaf rays begin their lives as buds in the tops of deciduous trees, and form a symbiotic relationship with these trees, often leaving the husks of their victims under their host trees to decay and fertilize the soil. During its budding stage, a leaf ray spends its time flexing its body in reaction to blowing winds in order to prepare itself for flight. Once a leaf ray has matured, it can separate its stingerlike stem from the parent tree and soar through the air. A leaf ray measures 3 feet across and weighs only 2 pounds.

As for the weather, it is winter. This far south means it's chilly and rainy all the time. For leaf rays to be acting like this probably hints at a bigger problem, because they are normally dormant in winter.

"Something's troubling them," Corrin murmurs after a moment. He looks to the tiefling, who quirks his eyebrow in response.

"Well? What are you waiting for, Vec? Permission? You're the one that wants a different angle. Just don't get too close," he says, and Corrin nods. With that, Finch swoops down, seeming to dive right into Corrin's chest, but he doesn't even flinch at the impact. She disappears for a moment, and a silver-blue glow surrounds the summoner until it extends from his back, where two glowing wings, exactly like Finch's, but larger, settle. Corrin rolls his shoulders and stretches a bit.

"Aaah... I forgot how good this feels,"
    he hums, smiling a little bit as he stretches his wings. He looks to the party, gaze settling on Taicho. "Can you take to the air with me?" he asks the Tengu, before looking to Daedalus. "And Daedalus, have you the strength to summon a hawk or two right now? I know you all just got back from the mines, but... well, if you can't, I won't get too close anyways."

Spoiler: On another note, for the curious...
    Show
    "Vec" means red in Abyssal. Anyone who speaks that language would know what the tiefling keeps calling Corrin.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Darach raises his eyebrows. He didn't know what he expected from the summoner... but that certainly wasn't it. "We can handle any that get past you. May the Stars guide you." With that, he turns back toward the town, looking for anyone who hasn't made it inside yet and moving to defend them.

Show
    If anyone is still trying to reach shelter, Darach is going to move toward them, otherwise just positioning himself in the way of the swarm. Either way, readied action to attack with the axe when one comes within reach.

-----

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

Daedalus turns to Hastur, who gives a sigh, but nods. I will summon you back as soon as I can, my friend." Hastur dissapears in a swirl of red sand and hot wind, causing Daedalus to exhale loudly. He shakes himself, feeling his link grow distant and quiet, but refocuses himself to summon a swarm of hawks to cover Corrin in his flight.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d4+1)[2] Celestial hawks ordered to cover Corrin and intercept anything that goes after him.
    The Bear is Back.

25. - Top - End - #235

Jarome stays close to the summoner, bow ready. He calculates the distance to the swarms and prepares to start shooting when they come into range.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Jarome will start firing at 4 range increments (280') out, which is a -6 penalty to hit I believe?

And I honestly never thought I'd have to fire at the edge of one range increment.

26. - Top - End - #236

Goblin

Taicho blinks at Corrin. I wish that I could but my feathers are not so developed. Were you to get me on the air I could glide. It seems I will have to stay put and see what I can hit with my sling. Taicho looks towards the swarm thinking about what it would be like to fly. He readies his sling.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    When the swarm is within 90 ft Taicho looses a stone.
    Atk (1d20+8)[11] Dmg (1d4)[1]

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Corrin gives a nod to the group, before moving to perch on the wall. He smiles as the eagles join him. "At the very least, perhaps I can kite off some of the leaf rays, or whatever it was Mallow called them, so you can address them in manageable groups. Wish me luck!" he says, before diving off the wall and letting Finch's wings carry him to the edge of the swarm. As predicted, a group breaks off to chase him and the eagles, while the rest keep flying for Vark. But with the combined efforts of everyone's ranged abilities, they quickly start to fall before they can reach the city.

Show
    Going to actually speed through this encounter, unless you guys want to use it for the experience points, but these things are really weak compared to you all and this is mostly for a plot hook anyways... but if you guys want the combat, I will give you combat!

What remains of the swarm hangs back for a little while, before something altogether different shakes the forest. A tremendous roar sounds from the jungle, and the leaf rays scatter, flying towards Vark once more, but not actually stopping. Instead, they fly right over, fleeing whatever made that horrible noise. But the sound isn't the only effect of the roar. There is a sharp scream from above as the two eagles Daedalus summoned are knocked from the sky and disappear - as do the wings on Corrin's back. The tiefling is up on the wall, then, scrambling to try and do something, but he can only watch as the summoner crashes down through the trees, falling out of sight into the forest below. "Anbay, Basamum, Anwat- oh, divines-" he curses - or is that a prayer? - and then he's sliding down the other side of the wall, scuttling down to the narrow path carved into the cliff face.
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2018-01-04 at 06:32 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Head snapping toward the roar, Darach searches for any other sign of whatever caused it as the rays flutter overhead. His eyes widen as he sees Corrin fall from the sky. Stowing his axe, he follows Mallow down the cliff. "What wasthat? It certainly didn't sound good." He doesn't say anything directly, but mentally he tries to judge how high Corrin was and how bad his injuries might be from the fall... assuming whatever is out there didn't get to him first.

Show
    Did he fall, like a spell dismissed the summoning, or was he knocked out of the sky by something hitting him?

-----

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"Whoa, that can't be good." Mercuira racks her brain, trying to figure out if she's seen or read about anything like this, as she prepares to follow the tiefling over the wall.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    knowledge (arcana) (1d20+5)[14]
    spellcraft (1d20+5)[16]

30. - Top - End - #240

Goblin

Taicho immediately heads towards where Corrin fell. The sound was of much less concern then the summoner's safety. Attempting to scale the wall, leap, and glide as close to the impact as possible. Any one can see there is a bit of recklessness in his movements. He looks concerned but also excited. Taicho feels much more confident above ground and it shows.

Spoiler: Scaling the wall.
    Show

Acrobatics (1d20+13)[23]
    Perception (1d20+10)[30]