New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 32 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default An Enemy Spy Reads The Wheel of Time III: Something's Fishy in the White Tower

The Series So Far
    Spoiler: Book 1: The Eye of the World
    Show
    Prologue
    Chapter 1: An Empty Road
    Chapter 2: Strangers
    Chapter 3: The Peddler
    Chapter 4: The Gleeman
    Chapter 5: Winternight
    Chapter 6: The Westwood
    Chapter 7: Out of the Woods
    Chapter 8: A Place of Safety
    Chapter 9: Tellings of the Wheel
    Chapter 10: Leavetaking
    Chapter 11: The Road to Taren Ferry
    Chapter 12: Across the Taren
    Chapter 13: Choices
    Chapter 14: The Stag and Lion
    Chapter 15: Strangers and Friends
    Chapter 16: The Wisdom
    Chapter 17: Watchers and Hunters
    Chapter 18: The Caemlyn Road
    Chapter 19: Shadow's Waiting
    Chapter 20: Dust on the Wind
    Chapter 21: Listen to the Wind
    Chapter 22: A Path Chosen
    Chapter 23: Wolfbrother
    Chapter 24: Flight Down the Arinelle
    Chapter 25: The Traveling People
    Chapter 26: Whitebridge
    Chapter 27: Shelter From the Storm
    Chapter 28: Footprints in Air
    Chapter 29: Eyes Without Pity
    Chapter 30: Children of Shadow
    Chapter 31: Play For Your Supper
    Chapter 32: Four Kings in Shadow
    Chapter 33: The Shadow Waits
    Chapter 34: The Last Village
    Chapter 35: Caemlyn
    Chapter 36: Web of the Pattern
    Chapter 37: The Long Chase
    Chapter 38: Rescue
    Chapter 39: Weaving of the Web
    Chapter 40: The Web Tightens
    Chapter 41: Old Friends and New Threats
    Chapter 42: Remembrance of Dreams
    Chapter 43: Decisions and Apparitions
    Chapter 44: The Dark Along the Ways
    Chapter 45: What Follows in Shadow
    Chapter 46: Fal Dara
    Chapter 47: More Tales of the Wheel
    Chapter 48: The Blight
    Chapter 49: The Dark One Stirs
    Chapter 50: Meetings at the Eye
    Chapter 51: Against the Shadow
    Chapter 52: There is Neither Beginning Nor End
    Chapter 53: The Wheel Turns

Last edited by An Enemy Spy; 2019-10-19 at 08:50 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: An Enemy Spy Reads The Wheel of Time III: Something's Fishy in the White Tower

Yay! marking this thread so I dont miss it.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: An Enemy Spy Reads The Wheel of Time III: Something's Fishy in the White Tower

One of my favourite chapters in the series coming up next.

Well, not this one... the next one.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Love the title; agree about the favorite chapter coming up.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Adderbane View Post
    Love the title; agree about the favorite chapter coming up.
    Is that the one where [SPOILER]matt realizes he turns into a women when hit with water?[/SPOILER

I swear its like a bad anime or something

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Is that the one where [SPOILER]matt realizes he turns into a women when hit with water?[/SPOILER

I swear its like a bad anime or something
    [SPOILER]Nah, you're confusing it with the part where he learns he's the Avatar and has to learn how to bend the elements.[/SPOILER
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Nooooo! I have been waiting so long for the upcoming kick *** chapter. I want so desperately to see AES's reaction.

WHY MUST I BE TEASED SO!?
    You can call me Sivarias or Siv.

Message me some time, I'd love to hear your story, and if you want, I can even tell you mine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone
    F.A.T.A.L. doesn't so much as scrape up against the Forum Rules as take a flying leap over the edge screaming 'GERONIMO'.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

At this point I'm sure he'll be let down just because we've built it up so much.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    At this point I'm sure he'll be let down just because we've built it up so much.
    Nah, we'll just keep saying "Oh no I misremembered it's the NEXT chapter that is hyper awesome", until he hits the end of the book and gives up on the series calling us all idiots.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Nah, we'll just keep saying "Oh no I misremembered it's the NEXT chapter that is hyper awesome", until he hits the end of the book and gives up on the series calling us all idiots.
    Mind you, I do have to agree, part of what made the chapter so much fun for me was not expecting it. I'm just glad it came near the end, where it had plenty of time to sneak in under the radar.
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

My internet's been down a few days and I wasn't feeling well before then. I'll try to have a chapter done today.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Chapter 23: Sealed

Egwene reappears in the real world, angry that every scenario she saw was just her being forced to abandon Rand over and over again. Eh, I've seen you in action. I think Rand will somehow get by without your interferencehelp. Then she notices that the Amyrlin Seat has arrived(ready the nautical analogy counter!) along with a sister from each Ajah. The dream machine is a'glowin' and a'sparkin', and Sheriam scans Egwene with magic to check if she's unharmed. Something's gone wrong here. But the show must go on, so the Amyrlin dumps water on Egwene's head, calls her an Accepted, and gives her an Aes Sedai ring. She gets dressed and Elaida hands her the stack of secret papers. Has she looked at them? We don't know. The string on them is still tied, but that doesn't guarantee Elaida hasn't at the very least scanned the front page. Admittedly it would be difficult to untie a stack of papers, read them, and then tie them back in room full of people without attracting notice, so Elaida likely has not read through each page and posted online recaps of them for the enjoyment of the world. That would take forever.

She does take the time to congratulate Egwene by telling her she never wanted her to become an Accepted because she's a filthy mudbloodwilder and that she'll never be a true Aes Sedai. Nice lady, that Elaida. I think the application process for join the Red Ajah is snapping ten puppies' necks in under a minute. I'd be amazed if we meet even one Red Ajah who isn't evil.

Egwene asks Sheriam what the frick happened with the Dream Machine. Sheriam says Egwene could have been killed and Alanna explains that the reverberation she detected came back a thousandfold while Egwene was inside. To apologize for not ending the ritual early, she offers to do Egwene's kitchen work for her, but Sheriam won't have any of that. The shame of a fully fledged Aes Sedai doing grunt work is beyond the pale. Why would Alanna feel bad about almost killing her, Egwene wonders. Is it because Alanna is a Black Ajah? Okay.

She gets back to her room and finds Elayne there crying into Nynaeve's lap, saying she could never be that awful. Whatver Elayne's Dream Machine adventure was, it seems she was the villain of the piece. Is Elayne a Black Ajah? Makes about as much sense as thinking Alanna is one.

13. - Top - End - #13

And in this chapter we learn more lessons about why slapping total newbies into high end aes sedai level games of secrecy, manipulation, and politics, is a REALLY stupid idea. Little eggy has no capacity for figuring this stuff out. The whole "Does she know I know she knows I know about her knowing I know?" style game is not really her cup of tea.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, no nautical analogies from Siuan. Is she a Black Ajah imposter? Discuss.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    Also, no nautical analogies from Siuan. Is she a Black Ajah imposter? Discuss.
    She may be a new form of grey man. Quick, kill her and see if she turns into a nondescript dead body! Its the only way to be sure.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, Egwene. Doing her best to be annoyingly unhelpful yet interfering since book one.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

so Elaida likely has not read through each page and posted online recaps of them for the enjoyment of the world. That would take forever.
    The world would probably enjoy reading it though.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

It's passed over quickly (in fact, it's passed over so quickly that on my first reading I completely missed it) but Egwene belatedly realises that the mess-up with the archway came because she brought along Verin's dream ring. Apparently having two things that involve alternate realities in the same room is a bad idea.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

She gets back to her room and finds Elayne there crying into Nynaeve's lap, saying she could never be that awful. Whatver Elayne's Dream Machine adventure was, it seems she was the villain of the piece. Is Elayne a Black Ajah? Makes about as much sense as thinking Alanna is one.
    Is Nynaeve Black Ajah? How about Min? Rand's Dead Mom?!*

Spoiler: Not Really A Spoiler
    Show

Either of them?!
    Last edited by Misery Esquire; 2017-11-26 at 05:14 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

It's me I'm the Black Ajah.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    It's me I'm the Black Ajah.
    Sure, but you're the obvious one to throw us off the trail of the real mastermind behind the scenes.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Sure, but you're the obvious one to throw us off the trail of the real mastermind behind the scenes.
    I'm SO obvious that you don't suspect that I'm actually the woman behind the woman behind the woman.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I am the walrus!

A walrus that is also BLACK AJAH.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2017-11-26 at 11:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

24. - Top - End - #24

The REAL problem will be dealing with the True Black Ajah. A splinter group that broke off from the rest 600 years ago in utter secrecy because they didnt approve of the path the rest were taking. Its so secret even the black ajah only knows of them through rumors, the rest of the tower doesnt even have that much. Generally when the black ajah makes a move, its the true black ajah setting them up instead.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ashen Lilies View Post
    I am the walrus!

A walrus that is also BLACK AJAH.
    I'm Spartacus!

Back on topic(ish), it would seem that the entire tower skipped the page on how you don't mix portable holes and bags of holding in their manual of things not to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    Back on topic(ish), it would seem that the entire tower skipped the page on how you don't mix portable holes and bags of holding in their manual of things not to do.
    The scientific method, White Tower Ajah style. Flip the switch on the thing or bring stuff together, observe, did anyone die horribly? If not keep going until someone is killed. If yes, wait a century and hand the stuff to a younger idiot wunderchild.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2017-11-27 at 09:44 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    The scientific method, White Tower Ajah style. Flip the switch on the thing or bring stuff together, observe, did anyone die horribly? If not keep going until someone is killed. If yes, wait a century and hand the stuff to a younger idiot wunderchild.
    This is the tower that develops new techniques by some "lucky" kid remembering how to do something that used to be done long ago. A bastion of progress they ain't.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    This is the tower that develops new techniques by some "lucky" kid remembering how to do something that used to be done long ago. A bastion of progress they ain't.
    And with Tel'aran'rhiod, brings a whole new level of it came to me in a dream as inspiration. And as for "lucky" remembering, a large number of things become re-discovered by accident/not knowing it was impossible. While silly, I'm greatly amused by the I didn't know it was impossible explaination for things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Sure they are! Remember that one Aes Sesai who found a new weave she shared it with everyone fur the good of all?

Her name was... uh... erm...
    Dang, it's on the tip of my tongue..
    You can call me Sivarias or Siv.

Message me some time, I'd love to hear your story, and if you want, I can even tell you mine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone
    F.A.T.A.L. doesn't so much as scrape up against the Forum Rules as take a flying leap over the edge screaming 'GERONIMO'.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sivarias View Post
    Sure they are! Remember that one Aes Sesai who found a new weave she shared it with everyone fur the good of all?

Her name was... uh... erm...
    Dang, it's on the tip of my tongue..
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nynaeve's healing? It's just too complicated for most to follow.