New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: An Enemy Spy Reads The Wheel of Time III: Something's Fishy in the White Tower

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Esquire View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

And Asmodean, and Ishamael, and possibly Lanfear… Aginor did most of his damage via building all the Shadowspawn - but they're almost certain for the titleholder of Most Kills in both Ages. The rest of the Forsaken admittedly did much less direct materiel damage (in this Age).

But yes, technicalities/semantics aside, Elayne wasn't the most helpful. At all.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Which reminds me, we never get to see what the big worms(Jumara) were supposed to turn into in the waste. Sammael mentions how they would never transform now. I kept waiting for Aginor's big event to be a flight of giant moth-dragons, but it never occured.

Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2018-10-02 at 02:58 AM.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: An Enemy Spy Reads The Wheel of Time III: Something's Fishy in the White Tower

Quote Originally Posted by Malak'ai View Post
    Also, AES; You might have actually missed this as it's never really stated outright in the books, but at this stage in the story Egwene and Elyane are about 18 or 19 years old and Nyneave is about 27 or 28.
    And Nynaeve is frequently frustrated about not being taken seriously because she looks more like 18 or 19 than her actual age.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

3. - Top - End - #423
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    And Nynaeve is frequently frustrated about not being taken seriously because she looks more like 18 or 19 than her actual age.
    Reading between the lines, you have to wonder whether it might be less that she's got the looks of a teenager and more that she's got the impulse control of one. Hitting anyone who disagrees with you with a stick isn't exactly a sign of maturity.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Turtle View Post
    Spoiler: My admittedly questionable recollection
    Show
    I thought she made a few comments earlier in the story about how she was some what regretful that she would not get to prove herself in a war for the throne as her mother did and I also don't recall her ever actually expressing regret or sadness over the civil war but honestly the books are so long and it has been a few years since I read them so it is very possible, probable even, that I am mis-remembering.
    Spoiler
    Show
    When she arrives at Caemelyn Dyelin specifically asks her if she intends to take the throne as offered by the Dragon or in her own right. She says the latter, which Dyelin says is the only reason she supports Elayne, more or less. Keep in mind Morgase lost the throne due to a man controlling her too and you can see why the Andorans are espacially unhappy with the idea Rand is giving her the throne. That there's a civil war is quite frankly not Elayne's fault. The Shadow is playing all the sides here too. If it wasn't for Darkfriend support the rebellion against Elayne wouldn't be so bad either. There's just not going to be a way to solve all the problems caused by Rahvin without bloodshed. The Darkfriends will see to that.

As in any good civil war there are many sides to it. Those who want peace period. Those who want peace and acknowledge the Dragon is here and it's about to go wrong so maybe we do what he says. Those who angle for personal opportunity. Those actively working for the Shadow. And so on.

What you describe doesn't sound like Elayne to me.

Her biggest fault I'd say is throwing herself into things like she is the heroine of a book. Not listening to the adults as it were.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    Hitting anyone who disagrees with you with a stick isn't exactly a sign of maturity.
    To be fair, the rustic farmer folk of the two rivers do need a good ear-boxing from time to time. Nynaeve's a product of her environment in that way.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the looking like a teenager (people don't take me seriously) probably led into the other (maybe they'll pay more respect to my FIST).

If I had to deal with Cenn Buie, I'd probably start hitting people with sticks too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

7. - Top - End - #427

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    To be fair, the rustic farmer folk of the two rivers do need a good ear-boxing from time to time. Nynaeve's a product of her environment in that way.
    The Two Rivers folk are explicitly and multiple times called out in the books as being stubborn to the point of contrariness. Hitting them when they don't do what they're told is exactly the worst possible way to get them to do something, even if it was a good management technique in real life, which it isn't. Once you get to book 4 . . .

Spoiler
    Show
    . . . when Perrin becomes Lord of the Two Rivers, you'll notice he does so without having to hit or bully anyone. It's a really good example of good leadership and the complete opposite of what Nynaeve does.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The same character traits that make Nynaeve a terrible wisdom are what make her an exceptional maverick once she joins the Aes Sedai.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Ashen Lilies View Post
    I think the looking like a teenager (people don't take me seriously) probably led into the other (maybe they'll pay more respect to my FIST).

If I had to deal with Cenn Buie, I'd probably start hitting people with sticks too.
    And even then Nynaeve is what early-20s. Which is going to be rather young for something like a Wisdom anyway for whom other qualities than able to channel is going to be important. In one way, it's the Women's Circle's fault. They shouldn't really have picked Nynaeve as Wisdom. She *was* probably too young, even though super competent in other areas (ie a channeler).

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

And even then Nynaeve is what early-20s. Which is going to be rather young for something like a Wisdom anyway for whom other qualities than able to channel is going to be important. In one way, it's the Women's Circle's fault. They shouldn't really have picked Nynaeve as Wisdom. She *was* probably too young, even though super competent in other areas (ie a channeler).
    Hmm.. yes.. i agree.. in the end its the Womens Circle's fault for picking Nynaeve, despite her being to young for the job.
    Or well thinking about it. If she is around 26-27 then she should be old enough. The problem is she isnt emotionally mature enough, and lack people skills.
    But i suspect she were picked anyway because she were still the best healer they had available. A skill by the way, that has nothing to do with her being a channeler.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

11. - Top - End - #431
    Colossus in the Playground

I thought at least part of her healing skill was, unknown to her until much later, subconsciously doing magic?
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

Mhm. My impression was that it's a blend of both. She's the best at non-magical healing and she'd been subconsciously augmenting that with magic the whole time. When you've got a literal miracle worker on your hands, it's hard not to promote her to Wisdom.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

In other news: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...-order-1148488

Real-time braid tugging!

14. - Top - End - #434
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    When she arrives at Caemelyn Dyelin specifically asks her if she intends to take the throne as offered by the Dragon or in her own right. She says the latter, which Dyelin says is the only reason she supports Elayne, more or less. Keep in mind Morgase lost the throne due to a man controlling her too and you can see why the Andorans are espacially unhappy with the idea Rand is giving her the throne. That there's a civil war is quite frankly not Elayne's fault. The Shadow is playing all the sides here too. If it wasn't for Darkfriend support the rebellion against Elayne wouldn't be so bad either. There's just not going to be a way to solve all the problems caused by Rahvin without bloodshed. The Darkfriends will see to that.

As in any good civil war there are many sides to it. Those who want peace period. Those who want peace and acknowledge the Dragon is here and it's about to go wrong so maybe we do what he says. Those who angle for personal opportunity. Those actively working for the Shadow. And so on.

What you describe doesn't sound like Elayne to me.

Her biggest fault I'd say is throwing herself into things like she is the heroine of a book. Not listening to the adults as it were.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's fair, like I said it has been a long time since I read these books and I may very well be mis-remembering her attitude towards the civil war, which was my primary gripe towards her actions during the civil war.

Quote Originally Posted by Malak'ai View Post

Also, AES; You might have actually missed this as it's never really stated outright in the books, but at this stage in the story Egwene and Elyane are about 18 or 19 years old and Nyneave is about 27 or 28.
    It was always a little weird that we never get a lot of explicit info on their ages. Personally this was the impression I got as well, maybe a year or two younger.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Banned

The Two Rivers folk are explicitly and multiple times called out in the books as being stubborn to the point of contrariness. Hitting them when they don't do what they're told is exactly the worst possible way to get them to do something, even if it was a good management technique in real life, which it isn't. Once you get to book 4 . . .

Spoiler
    Show
    . . . when Perrin becomes Lord of the Two Rivers, you'll notice he does so without having to hit or bully anyone. It's a really good example of good leadership and the complete opposite of what Nynaeve does.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Right. All Perrin had to do was materialize out of thin air like a hero from legend with Aiel, Ogier, and noble companions, unite the Two Rivers through his Ta'veren powers, and save the place from a Trolloc invasion. Why didn't Nynaeve just do that instead??!

More seriously, the books mention several times how the Two Rivers people are unnaturally subserviant towards Perrin. Whether it's him being Ta'veren or just hero worship you can't really compare his difficulties leading the Two Rivers to Nynaeves.

Also, someone else mentioned Cenn Buie. One of my favorite running gags of the series is that Buie is always treated as this crackpot paranoid buffoon....yet if you actually go back and look at his track record concerning his crazy predictions, they're basically always right.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2018-10-02 at 11:31 AM.

16. - Top - End - #436

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Right. All Perrin had to do was materialize out of thin air like a hero from legend with Aiel, Ogier, and noble companions, unite the Two Rivers through his Ta'veren powers, and save the place from a Trolloc invasion. Why didn't Nynaeve just do that instead??!

More seriously, the books mention several times how the Two Rivers people are unnaturally subserviant towards Perrin. Whether it's him being Ta'veren or just hero worship you can't really compare his difficulties leading the Two Rivers to Nynaeves.
    Spoiler: Perrin
    Show
    Rand's a much stronger ta'veren than Perrin, and from the minute he becomes a ruler, he has to deal with a pretty much non-stop series of betrayals, rebellions, and intrigue. So being a ta'veren doesn't automatically make people subservient.

Perrin being a ta'veren is half of how he becomes Lord of the Two Rivers, but it's only half – the other half is that he's a really good, responsible leader.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Banned

Show
    Rand's a much stronger ta'veren than Perrin, and from the minute he becomes a ruler, he has to deal with a pretty much non-stop series of betrayals, rebellions, and intrigue. So being a ta'veren doesn't automatically make people subservient.

Perrin being a ta'veren is half of how he becomes Lord of the Two Rivers, but it's only half – the other half is that he's a really good, responsible leader.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think I agree. His leadership style for most of the books is "hide and let Faile deal with it." His whole character arc in the second half of the books is how he needs to stop neglecting his responsibilities as a leader.

Rand isn't a particularly good comparison in my opinion. People don't hero worship him like they do with Perrin. They hate and fear him.

18. - Top - End - #438

Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Each of the three have very different expressions of their taveren status. Matt has absolutely absurd good luck, rand has absolutely absurd good AND bad luck that randomly effects everyone around him (by around I mean within the country borders or so) And perrin seems to have this (hur hur) animal magnetism when ti comes to being a leader despite not wanting to do it.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think I agree. His leadership style for most of the books is "hide and let Faile deal with it." His whole character arc in the second half of the books is how he needs to stop neglecting his responsibilities as a leader.

Rand isn't a particularly good comparison in my opinion. People don't hero worship him like they do with Perrin. They hate and fear him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not being a micro-manager can make you a good leader. The Two Rivers needed an army and some political cohesion, but being basically colonial Massachusetts they really didn't need a lord. Perrin, being from there, is totally fine letting the towns run themselves (he even has a fight with the Wisdoms about them asking him for advice about mundane everyday stuff.)

Rand is despotic because he is told he should be. He undermines local cultures and practices, changes entire countries as a whim, and his biggest objection to the treaty with the Sea People is that they have the right to talk to him 3 times a year. He is exactly like a divine right monarch who conquers half the world, and is constantly perplexed why offering no benefits to following him except not dying is received so badly.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not being a micro-manager can make you a good leader. The Two Rivers needed an army and some political cohesion, but being basically colonial Massachusetts they really didn't need a lord. Perrin, being from there, is totally fine letting the towns run themselves (he even has a fight with the Wisdoms about them asking him for advice about mundane everyday stuff.)

Rand is despotic because he is told he should be. He undermines local cultures and practices, changes entire countries as a whim, and his biggest objection to the treaty with the Sea People is that they have the right to talk to him 3 times a year. He is exactly like a divine right monarch who conquers half the world, and is constantly perplexed why offering no benefits to following him except not dying is received so badly.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, but it's more than not being a micro manager. He outright neglects the people under his charge until the last 2 books when he learns that he needs to put aside his reservations and lead his people or someone else will. This is explicitly his character arc, and it's literally stated in the books multiple times by both Perrin and Faile. Perrin is a good leader by the end of the series, but he certainly doesn't start that way.

That's not a fair assessment of Rand either. Rand constantly goes out of his way to do things like stop violence, build schools, and feed the hungry. He's rude to power hungry nobles who have built their fortunes crushing those beneath them, and it bites him more than once, but it's a necessary evil to change a society that's been stuck in the feudal era for thousands of years. Surprisingly, the noble class doesn't like it when you take away their power and wealth to share with the peasantry. It also doesn't help that people have been telling horror stories to their children about him for the last few thousand years. Rand was never going to have a peaceful road, no matter what policies he instituted.

Even if you ignore the Dark One and the Forsaken entirely, Rand leaves the world a whole lot better than he found it. Then he willingly gives up power. It's an enormous stretch to call him a despot.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    I think we are using different interpretations of despotism here. Rand is not even slightly out of sync with ye olde enlightened despots. Centralizing power, removing noble power for appointed ministers, public education, drafts, the works.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think we are using different interpretations of despotism here. Rand is not even slightly out of sync with ye olde enlightened despots. Centralizing power, removing noble power for appointed ministers, public education, drafts, the works.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fair enough, but no one ever uses the term that way, so you can see why I'd be confused. It's basically a synonym with tyrant for most people. Especially given the second half of your comment about him not giving anyone any reason to follow him.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    Fair enough, but no one ever uses the term that way, so you can see why I'd be confused. It's basically a synonym with tyrant for most people. Especially given the second half of your comment about him not giving anyone any reason to follow him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    By anyone I'm meaning "established local leadership." He shows up, demands conformity and then declares the Aiel the state police/assassins.

He isn't a tyrant in the sense of "butcher the populace" but he is a despot in the "god king who centralizes all authority." He even deals with the classic issue of divine kings everywhen; his ministers tend to become corrupt in his absence because no one can gainsay them. The worst is Taim of course, but he has to backtrack to execute or strip his appointed ministers several times when they overstep his desires in his absence.

His dispute with Elayne is essentially that he is going to make her minister of several of his provinces , and she wants to be an actual Queen. He throws several fits over this in the book, because centralized power is his go to reflex. One of the big moments of the books is when he realizes he has to actually work with other factions instead of just conquering the world.

Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2018-10-02 at 03:03 PM.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    Mhm. My impression was that it's a blend of both. She's the best at non-magical healing and she'd been subconsciously augmenting that with magic the whole time. When you've got a literal miracle worker on your hands, it's hard not to promote her to Wisdom.
    Her skill at Healing was only one of the reasons she became Wisdom, and it was the lesser one. Her biggest qualification was her ability to "listen to the wind", which is really using the Power to predict the weather.

As for her temper, there's something I find pretty interesting. She can only channel when she's angry, and her two biggest jobs as Wisdom work a lot better when she's channeling. This means she does her job much better when she's angry. I think she's subconsciously making herself mad for the purpose of fulfilling her duty.

Spoiler
    Show
    Note that, once she dissolves her block and can channel at-will, she loses a lot of her abrasiveness.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

I would include "listening to the wind" as a 'miracle', for the record.

And a quick note on the spoiler conversation...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I know I've used the term 'despot' in the sense Tvtyrant does. Seems entirely appropriate for Rand.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

26. - Top - End - #446

I dunno
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think he is despotic not by choice but by several factors combined. Dudes a farm boy put in charge of the fight against evil. He has no knowledge of delegation, no knowledge of how to be a politician, his education on everything outside the two rivers is spotty and scattered through a half dozen or more teachers with wildly different views on whats right or not. He just knows, "Ok, im in charge, lets do this" Then as was mentioned, he got screwed over by people he DID assign to take charge in his name so his ability to trust others to take care of themselves without his direct oversight and control is damaged. "If you want it done right...." Back to education, seriously, does even a YEAR pass between "Trollocs are a myth" to "Hail Dragon Reborn! Lead us to the Final Battle!"? Its like the movie King Ralph, only Ralph has to take over the world and the apocalypse is right around the corner. Oh, and half the world wants him dead. Enjoy learning how to govern!

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I dunno
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think he is despotic not by choice but by several factors combined. Dudes a farm boy put in charge of the fight against evil. He has no knowledge of delegation, no knowledge of how to be a politician, his education on everything outside the two rivers is spotty and scattered through a half dozen or more teachers with wildly different views on whats right or not. He just knows, "Ok, im in charge, lets do this" Then as was mentioned, he got screwed over by people he DID assign to take charge in his name so his ability to trust others to take care of themselves without his direct oversight and control is damaged. "If you want it done right...." Back to education, seriously, does even a YEAR pass between "Trollocs are a myth" to "Hail Dragon Reborn! Lead us to the Final Battle!"? Its like the movie King Ralph, only Ralph has to take over the world and the apocalypse is right around the corner. Oh, and half the world wants him dead. Enjoy learning how to govern!
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Eye Of The World takes place in 998, Rand proclaims himself the Dragon Reborn in 999, and the Last Battle is fought in 1000.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Eye Of The World takes place in 998, Rand proclaims himself the Dragon Reborn in 999, and the Last Battle is fought in 1000.
    I did not realize the books took place over such a short time frame. Granted the books were released over 23 years so that may have played into my perception of things taking longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

29. - Top - End - #449

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    So yeah at best a year of roaming the world before declaring himself the dragon reborn, and its not like morainne or anyone else were really teaching him how to rule this whole time. Yes he picked up some useful bits of info here and there, but total farm boy becomes king moment with all the added baggage of what being the dragon reborn means. At least in David Eddings books, Garion got to take over an empire that WANTED him for the most part, and wasnt expected to shatter the world or bring about the final battle. No need to conquer them, or take them over, just prove yep, im the overlord, and move on from there. Of course it also helped his party didnt have several people with several different ideas of what he should be doing, none of whom seemed to think "Maybe we should turn him into a good ruler instead of a puppet" was an option.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    So yeah at best a year of roaming the world before declaring himself the dragon reborn, and its not like morainne or anyone else were really teaching him how to rule this whole time. Yes he picked up some useful bits of info here and there, but total farm boy becomes king moment with all the added baggage of what being the dragon reborn means. At least in David Eddings books, Garion got to take over an empire that WANTED him for the most part, and wasnt expected to shatter the world or bring about the final battle. No need to conquer them, or take them over, just prove yep, im the overlord, and move on from there. Of course it also helped his party didnt have several people with several different ideas of what he should be doing, none of whom seemed to think "Maybe we should turn him into a good ruler instead of a puppet" was an option.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mean, Moiraine figured it out, and was doing a decent job of it before Lanfear happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text