New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: An Enemy Spy Reads The Wheel of Time III: Something's Fishy in the White Tower

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I do agree on that a large part of why the Aiel seems OP is that their opponents are generally glorified militia with incompetent leaders fighting trained veterans.
    Of course another part is how generally useless armor is in the world of RJ :P
    Spoiler
    Show

I think i mentioned this earlier, but Mat did show that all it takes is decent leadership to fight back the Aiel with regular troops
    Spoiler
    Show
    Good tactics in general are a rarity. The Seanchan are called out as having great generals because they, you know, actually expect them to anticipate their opponents and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: An Enemy Spy Reads The Wheel of Time III: Something's Fishy in the White Tower

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Good tactics in general are a rarity. The Seanchan are called out as having great generals because they, you know, actually expect them to anticipate their opponents and such.
    Spoiler
    Show
    At least this is explicitly called out as a thing the non-Aiel, non-Seanchan countries are bad at, rather than the author not knowing any better.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    At least this is explicitly called out as a thing the non-Aiel, non-Seanchan countries are bad at, rather than the author not knowing any better.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm actually in the middle of my reread and found it really hilarious when there was a conversation along the lines of:

Person 1: The Seanchan, they adapt. They're careful, they don't make the same mistake twice. If they lose, they go back, figure out what went wrong, and make sure they do better next time
    Person 2: I know men like that, Gareth Bryne, Rodel Ituralde, even Pedron Niall
    Person 1: Yes, the Great Captains. We have 4 of them. Every last one of the Seanchan is exactly as good!

It says a lot about the relative state of military study/strategy between the continents. I am actually curious how much work Ishmael put into pushing the world to develop that way. We know he was doing a lot of manipulation between the Breaking and Rand's rebirth, most notably the Trolloc Wars, but also I think he was the force behind Artur Hawking turning against the Aes Sedai and most likely a large influence on the Black Ajah. I think I recall it being implied he was behind the Aes Sedai's 3 Oaths as well. Anyway point is Ishmael was up to a bunch of shady stuff over thousands of years, is it possible he intentionally groomed a culture where war doctrine was practically non-existent to give the Shadow an edge in the last battle? /tinfoilhat

Also re:Team Magikarp

Egwene I actually like. This most recent reread I find myself liking her a bit less than previously, but overall she channels her stubbornness into telling a bunch of far more annoying characters to shut up and sit down, so I'm okay with that. Her arc while captured in the tower, realizing that being Amyrlin is more than just beating Elaida and instead needing to heal the rifts in the tower... that was all great.

On the other extreme there is Elayne. I am firmly in the camp that every protagonist would have been better off had Elayne managed to get gutted on a Seanchan spear or get a'damed in Falme, and never seen or heard from again. Just about her only saving grace is the Civil War in Caemlyn is only partially her fault, since Dyelin could have ended it in an instant by claiming the crown for herself. Elayne never really shows herself as particularly adept at politics, strategy, or leadership. The only thing she is really good at is charging headfirst into things without stopping to think about how many thousands of people will pay to clean up her mess later. The fact that her subplots also had the biggest focus on the Sea Folk is not a point in her favor, as they are overall the most worthless of the nations Rand binds to him, yet still have an enormous page count devoted to their bull****.

Nynaeve... I've read opinions from others saying that she is a character you identify more with the older you get, and I kind of see that. Reading the book the first time as a teenager she's the annoying adult who wants to stop the kids from having an adventure. Going back later you see a woman wholeheartedly dedicated to protecting those she sees as her own, and just wanting to stop these dumb kids from getting pulled in over their heads. A lot of her objections probably would have been a lot more true if we didn't have literally 3 ta'veren there saying "There's no getting off this train we're on". Also for all the talk of hitting people with her stick, outside of maybe the first few chapters of the first book I don't think I can recall Nynaeve ever actually hitting anyone. Though there is certainly a lot of unjustified anger from her (which I agree with an earlier poster that at least after she learns she can channel, and knows she has a block, is her either consciously or subconsciously forcing herself to get angry over minor things so she can channel. So of course once her block is broken, she mellows out a ton and becomes probably one of the most reasonable characters in the series

As far as non-spoiler stuff, on the topic of Aeil: I don't mind them. But I also don't care of AES decides to hate them. I suspect getting through some future books will be a huge slog for him if he doesn't lighten at least somewhat towards them, but hey you hate what you hate.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think the Seanchan are that great, tactically. They just have the biggest guns, in the damane, which no one else has to the same degree.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    I don't think the Seanchan are that great, tactically. They just have the biggest guns, in the damane, which no one else has to the same degree.
    They have a different style of fighting with different tools and techniques. Surprise is death in combat and their entire setup is a massive surprise when we run into it. You dont need to be a genius to win when your opponent has never faced anything more harrowing than a heavy cavalry charge and you can nuke them from orbit, since its the only way to be sure.

Spoiler
    Show
    As for nynaeve no she doesnt go around trying to deck people, its why she spends so much time yanking her braid like a lunatic. Its restraining herself from taking a swing at people who will BEAT HER RUMP if she actually tried that. She is aware of the fact that she is no longer one of the higher ranking people around as the wisdom, she isnt dealing with farmers and their families, she is dealing with highly trained veterans like lan, and very powerful aes sedai like morraine who are more than capable of putting her in her place if she steps out of line. Going from boss to bottom rung underling must be enraging for her.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #486
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    As for nynaeve no she doesnt go around trying to deck people, its why she spends so much time yanking her braid like a lunatic.
    Spoiler: Nynaeve
    Show
    She actually does try to beat people up on quite a few occasions. Such as with Cerandin (the elephant handler Seanchan she meets at the circus in book 5). Given that Cerandin's an ex-military type who knows how to fight, this goes about as well as you'd expect.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

7. - Top - End - #487
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by solidork View Post
    My reaction to the Aiel was basically "Sounds fake, but OK" and then just moving on. In general I found it interesting how different they were, culturally, from everyone else.

Obviously you react how you're going to react, but dedicating yourself to resenting them every time they appear is just going to lead to a lot of frustration.
    I kind of figured AES was playing up his dislike of Aiel for comic effect, at least in part.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

8. - Top - End - #488
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    They also have raken and their variants, which provide better scouting, communication, and logistic capability than anything the wetlanders get without gateways.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Adderbane View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    They also have raken and their variants, which provide better scouting, communication, and logistic capability than anything the wetlanders get without gateways.
    Spoiler: seanchan
    Show
    Indeed. It#s not for nothing Ituralde muses "screw damane I want those flying lizards". That the power is far more important militarily when not being used just as blasty-blasty is sort ofa big point later on. Or Sanderson just took it to it's logical conclusion.

Something of how good Seanchan are compared to Wetlanders in more overarching military stuff can be seen how IIRC Taraboner lancers are suddenly a real threat when led professionally and having a moral backbone. In stark contrast to how they are considered before by others.

The Seanchan armies are all professional soldiers whereas most Wetlander armies are at best militia led by enthusiastic amateurs.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Spoiler: seanchan
    Show
    "screw damane I want those flying lizards"
    Spoiler: Corazón Santiago's appears unbidden in my head
    Show
    "Air power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative."
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    Show
    "Air power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also To'raken are basically flying elephants. They can carry 1,000 lbs 200 miles in a day, which means you can pull off some crazy none-sense that only gating can match (like flying a caster force into your enemies capital for instance.)

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also To'raken are basically flying elephants. They can carry 1,000 lbs 200 miles in a day, which means you can pull off some crazy none-sense that only gating can match (like flying a caster force into your enemies capital for instance.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    That sounds impressive, but how much does a to'raken eat? Elephants need between 200 to 600 pounds of food a day, and flying is a more energy intensive method of transportation than walking.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    That sounds impressive, but how much does a to'raken eat? Elephants need between 200 to 600 pounds of food a day, and flying is a more energy intensive method of transportation than walking.
    Spoiler
    Show
    They don't say, but they do say that with just one rider they can travel 1,000 miles without landing. They are also omnivores so I believe they eat plants when not doing anything and eat more calorically dense meat when on mission.

The Seanchen Exotics are strong enough they drove the Shadow thingies into extinction with them on their continent. The rabbit-birds can smell grey men, the Grolm eat Trollocs, Raken can kill the vampires, etc. They would be OP without damane.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

The only exotic i really think are OP is the Raken. Everything else can easily be countered or adapted to.
    But of course, all that still pales in comparison to the Damane.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show

The only exotic i really think are OP is the Raken. Everything else can easily be countered or adapted to.
    But of course, all that still pales in comparison to the Damane.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think so if both sides lose their casters. War Elephants took about 200 years to adapt to before the Romans invented the trumpet trick and they disappeared, before that they had become an increasingly important part of Diadochy armies.

Torm canonically terrify horses and are much faster, making them the best ground scouts by miles. Grolm can break infantry walls, and the Seanchen have war elephants.

Of course the Seanchen don't have gunpowder so they probably lose without casters to Mat, but who doesn't?

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ogre in the Playground

Does it bother you, AES, that you can't look at a good majority of your threads? Just curious.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think so if both sides lose their casters. War Elephants took about 200 years to adapt to before the Romans invented the trumpet trick and they disappeared, before that they had become an increasingly important part of Diadochy armies.

Torm canonically terrify horses and are much faster, making them the best ground scouts by miles. Grolm can break infantry walls, and the Seanchen have war elephants.

Of course the Seanchen don't have gunpowder so they probably lose without casters to Mat, but who doesn't?
    Elephants are also an order of magnitude larger than Torm or Grolm.
    Torm are faster and more enduring than horses, so it gives them a small scouting advantage. But not one thats that big, because their coppery scales also makes them highly noticeable.

And Grolm can be taken down by either archers or a spear wall.

Does it bother you, AES, that you can't look at a good majority of your threads? Just curious.
    The current topic isnt even that exciting. Its just a discussion of Seanchan military efficiency without their Damana. I think its mainly habbit that places everything in spoilers just to be safe.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show

Elephants are also an order of magnitude larger than Torm or Grolm.
    Torm are faster and more enduring than horses, so it gives them a small scouting advantage. But not one thats that big, because their coppery scales also makes them highly noticeable.

And Grolm can be taken down by either archers or a spear wall.

The current topic isnt even that exciting. Its just a discussion of Seanchan military efficiency without their Damana. I think its mainly habbit that places everything in spoilers just to be safe.
    There's definitely some spoilers in there. Some of them are even quite large.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I was actually a moderator on a board in the mid 2000s where we worked on converting Warhammer Fantasy into a WoT system, so arguing about WoT tactics is very nostalgic for me.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    There's definitely some spoilers in there. Some of them are even quite large.

I see what you did there
    You can call me Sivarias or Siv.

Message me some time, I'd love to hear your story, and if you want, I can even tell you mine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone
    F.A.T.A.L. doesn't so much as scrape up against the Forum Rules as take a flying leap over the edge screaming 'GERONIMO'.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    Show
    Did you just reference Alpha Centauri

I have nothing to add, I just quite liked that.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

Glad someone liked it. It's scary how often the quotes from that game echo around in my head...
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

23. - Top - End - #503
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I do agree on that a large part of why the Aiel seems OP is that their opponents are generally glorified militia with incompetent leaders fighting trained veterans.
    Of course another part is how generally useless armor is in the world of RJ :P
    Spoiler
    Show

I think i mentioned this earlier, but Mat did show that all it takes is decent leadership to fight back the Aiel with regular troops
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think decent leadership is understating things a bit. Remember how he came up with a plan to fight the Shaido at Cairhien after one look at the battle map, while it took the best Aiel military commanders along with Lan a few days to come to the same conclusions? Of course they didn't have any of the Great Captains with them, but not many armies do.

Truthfully, though, I didn't mind the Aiel that much. They're just better than the soft wetlanders, which isn't a high bar to clear.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Further conversation on military leadership
    Show

Well, Mat only had what, around 3 units to guide around there?
    Its really quite limited how much you can do with those.
    Except point them in the right direction, and help them avoid tripping
    over one another.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Spoiler: Further conversation on military leadership
    Show

Well, Mat only had what, around 3 units to guide around there?
    Its really quite limited how much you can do with those.
    Except point them in the right direction, and help them avoid tripping
    over one another.

Spoiler
    Show
    IIRC the situation correctly Moiraine is setting Mat up (sort of). He gets invited to a warcouncil just to say he's really leaving, casually looks over the battle maps and plans out the entire campaign to beat the Shaido. Only to be told he has just figured out what the other combined council have been mulling out over day(s). Aiel chiefs are impressed and see him in a new light too IIRC.

Mat curses himself for being careless and revealing there's more to him than meets the eye (Transformers!).
    Hah. OK it's quite fun doing the AES (Sedai?) thing.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: More military stuff
    Show

Nahh.. its actually Rand who sets the trap. He makes him come by the warcouncil to say his personal goodbye or something.
    But its only Ruac who are there. And he draws Mat into a casual conversation about the battlemap in the center of the room as they wait for Rand.
    As i recall it was Ruac who initially spotted that Mat knew a lot more about war than he let on.
    But this should be revealed as we get there.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Colossus in the Playground

Show

Nahh.. its actually Rand who sets the trap. He makes him come by the warcouncil to say his personal goodbye or something.
    But its only Ruac who are there. And he draws Mat into a casual conversation about the battlemap in the center of the room as they wait for Rand.
    As i recall it was Ruac who initially spotted that Mat knew a lot more about war than he let on.

Another 6 years, tops.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

28. - Top - End - #508
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Show

Spoiler: Spoilerish Pedantry
    Show
    Rand uses Lan to maneuver Mat into revealing how much he'd gained in the way of military knowledge. Lan is the one who guesses about Mat's acumen. It's less a trap and more taking advantage of an opportune moment. From The Fires of Heaven, Before the Arrow:
    "A pretty situation, wouldn't you say?"

Mat's head jerked up at Lan's voice, but the Warder had entered the tent alone. "Just something to look at while I waited. Is Rand coming back?"

Rand stood staring after Mat long after the tent flaps had fallen to hide him. "I only heard the last bit," he said finally. "Was it all like that?"

"Very nearly," Lan replied. "With only a few minutes to study the maps, he laid out close to the battle plan that Rhuarc and the others made...."

Rand looked at him. The Warder showed no surprise, not the twitch of an eyelash. Of course, he was the one who said Mat seemed surprisingly knowledgeable about military matters.

He had seen Mat climbing toward this tent, and never hesitated in sending Lan in to discover what might come to the surface in idle conversation alone.
    Last edited by tiornys; 2018-10-19 at 11:00 AM.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by tiornys View Post
    Spoiler: Spoilerish Pedantry
    Show
    Rand uses Lan to maneuver Mat into revealing how much he'd gained in the way of military knowledge. Lan is the one who guesses about Mat's acumen. It's less a trap and more taking advantage of an opportune moment. From The Fires of Heaven, Before the Arrow:
    Spoiler: Even more pedantry?
    Show
    If Lan is the soruce of Rands suspicions then dollars to donuts it's Moiraine in the shadows pulling strings. I was obviously only remembering the gist of it.

If you ask me, when involving Aes Sedai there are no opportune moments only carefully orchestrated traps.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Spoiler: Even more pedantry?
    Show
    If Lan is the soruce of Rands suspicions then dollars to donuts it's Moiraine in the shadows pulling strings. I was obviously only remembering the gist of it.

If you ask me, when involving Aes Sedai there are no opportune moments only carefully orchestrated traps.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Considering the timeline of events and what Moiraine was busy doing at the time (I.e. functionally dead after fighting with Lanfear), I would be thoroughly impressed if it was a plot by her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text