New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Instruments as Sonic Weapons

Long story short, I'm building a character that is meant to use telekinesis to hold multiple weapons at once. I was intrigued by the idea of being able to be a one man battle orchestra. The only stuff I can find is using a lute as an improvised weapon. So I was curious if there were any ways to allow an instrument to be used as a weapon that deals sonic damage when played.

One way I'm trying to figure out is if I can combine the Destruction and Telekinesis Spheres in Spheres of Power. To use Destructive Blasts with the telekinetic weapons as origin points for Sonic Blast attacks.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Instruments as Sonic Weapons

Unfortunately not. I already have the telekinesis, and spending thousands of gold and a feat to cast burning hands from it seems particularly weak.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

You could refluff your [Sonic] blasting/debuff (Bard?) spells as coming from your instrument.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    You could refluff your [Sonic] blasting/debuff (Bard?) spells as coming from your instrument.
    The issue is that I need a way to have the spell's origin point be the weapons that are floating around in my telekinetic grasp anywhere in close range.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Just pick up the Sound Striker archetype.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you're using Spheres of Power this sounds like an excellent time to use the spellcrafting rules. Talk to your GM and see how they'd feel about adding a casting drawback to an individual spell (Focus and possibly Skilled Casting for the instruments) in exchange for reduced complexity and being able to cast from anywhere the focus is within sight!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CharonsHelper View Post
    Came here to suggest this - you activate it as part of a performance, so you can definitely have an instrument in hand while you use this. It won't be coming from the instrument per se, but you can always fluff it that way if you want.

Just note that it received an update that I'm not seeing on the PFSRD.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Dinosaur View Post
    If you're using Spheres of Power this sounds like an excellent time to use the spellcrafting rules. Talk to your GM and see how they'd feel about adding a casting drawback to an individual spell (Focus and possibly Skilled Casting for the instruments) in exchange for reduced complexity and being able to cast from anywhere the focus is within sight!
    A good idea and close to what I was looking for. I wanted to be able to use multiple instruments and have the around the field of battle. I ended up going with the weaponize talent and fluffing it as telekinetic instruments blaring at the enemy. It's the closest I could get to the idea of sonic instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Came here to suggest this - you activate it as part of a performance, so you can definitely have an instrument in hand while you use this. It won't be coming from the instrument per se, but you can always fluff it that way if you want.

Just note that it received an update that I'm not seeing on the PFSRD.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharonsHelper View Post
    My apologies. I should've specified that I was referring to Speheres of Power Telekinesis. I'm not a bard and that still wasn't quite what I was looking for. I wanted to be able to, say, hold three different instruments telekinetically. Have them at different places on the field and fire a sonic blast from any of them. The instrument itself blaring loud enough to deal the sonic.