New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 57 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1105 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    The memo was printed onto a series of billboards, rather than traditional paper.
    LOL.

Sorry, I'm just a casual reader, I'm not a forum regular... I only pop in whenever the strip updates. Don't judge me. Thanks for those who posted links to in-comic and Rich's comments for incontrovertible evidence. Much appreciated.

In other n00b questions.... Vaarsuvius is female? Hahaha... just stirring.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Halfling in the Playground

Speculation that someone else may or may not have beaten me to:

Upon seeing through the High Priest's eyes that he has a child, Durkon will finally manifest the willpower to intervene and disrupt his vampire self from within.
    Last edited by internisus; 2017-11-13 at 05:14 PM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Turn Undead, from a cleric of an evil god? Not Rebuke Undead? I wonder if she's changed gods.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I think that this strip is now a must read.
    Just to review the break up ...
    And here's the other plot twist to consider.
    Durkon defeated, becomes Durkon again, and then he has to (being lawful) acknowledge his child.
    Is he gonna adventure with the OoTS?
    Horns of the dilemma aren't just about Hilgya's anger.

(Oh, nuts, how much time "in world" has passed since the conception. A year and a half, ish? Less?)
    I am sure that Durkon has had a lot of character developement since this time to probably have some more finely grained (diverse? developed?) views on that matter

and first looks might indicate that even Hylgia had some character developement

Took Durkons words to heart and worked on herself becoming a honorable dwarv - to the best of her abilities.
    What are her prospects of being well received with an illegitimate child?
    Is this even a problem in dwarven soviety?

Now who was/is her husband? Is he still alife? What does he do? Was he perhaps an *******?

What does Durkons Mum say? Does she know? (of Hylgia)
    Will his Mum die trying to protect other dwarves from the evil his body is about to unleash?

damn all these questions ...

sch

Edit
    Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Unlike many here, I can't say I'm surprised by either development.

I've been expecting the return of Hilgya ever since Greysky, and it really did make a ton of sense for her to be here in this arc (Durkon facing his past).

As for having a baby in tow? Didn't give as much thought to that. But it makes sense, especially with Rich's idea that character actions should have in-story consequences.

There is a bit of a needle to thread here about casual sex, but I trust Rich to thread it.

I suspect the character action Rich would be commenting on is Durkon's callous attitude toward Hilgya when he found out her backstory. He could have been supportive while still not approving of past actions. He could have tried to make things work, even from within the rigid dictates of his culture.

But not only didn't he try hard, he didn't try at all. At the very least, he could have at least tried to find a dwarven solution.

He did feel bad about throwing her out of his life, yes. Doubt Hilgya thinks much of that, however.
    you called that out much nicer than I did ...
    Last edited by schmunzel; 2017-11-13 at 06:31 PM.
    Do NOT argue with idiots - they drag you on their level and beat you with experience

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by schmunzel View Post
    She probably had some *off comic* moral developement.
    Why would she need moral development? The comic doesn't show her doing anything evil. She might well have been Chaotic Neutral all that time.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, did not see that coming.

Now I'm just wondering two things:

1) We know that rivals are automatically the same level as you, do level adjustments affect this?

2) Based on what we can see... do baby dwarfs count as holy symbols? I assume all babies count.

Yes, I know her holy symbol is behind the baby.

Also, I'm thinking that Durkon's lecture to her had an effect. This doesn't feel like 'woman scorned' to me, I feel like this is

'Bein' a dwarf is about doin' yer duty, even if it makes ye miserable. ESPECIALLY if it makes ye miserable.'
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Huh, I had an odd thought, given Durkson's position in the baby carrying sling (we had one for our kids) that Rich probably won't do: the baby is Hilgya's holy symbol. As I pondered that more, I figure that Rich would not write that in, but it seemed sort of "Golden Child" in inspiration and Rich has drawn inspiration from a diverse set of cultural references ... but I admit that it doesn't "feel" right.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2017-11-13 at 05:25 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

7. - Top - End - #247
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Don't know why people are jumping on Hilyga being evil....its not especially relevant considering Loki of all gods spearheaded the defense of the mortal world at the Godmoot. Hiemdall is normally good and yet he voted to burn the world down.

As for how messages get sent sure the High Priest might not be able to leave but they all got 2 Bodyguards who can go outside and cast Sending.
    Last edited by skaddix; 2017-11-13 at 05:25 PM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zero View Post
    But that list lacks the most important stat ever: how many XPs will my character get?
    Negative one.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

What are her prospects of being well received with an illegitimate child?
    Is this even a problem in dwarven soviety?
    sch
    Thor, at least, understands these things..

10. - Top - End - #250
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    'Bein' a dwarf is about doin' yer duty, even if it makes ye miserable. ESPECIALLY if it makes ye miserable.'
    Also if she was informed by Loki of the situation at hand, she may have come even if risk exist, to die honorabily and avoid her soul be dragged to hel. Recall that as per rich comments, kids go to the afterlife of her parents, She wouldn't probably want the baby to end in Hel's realm!! (don't forget this)

now, the real question is: Is there a second baby on her back? we cannot tell just from the two images we have seen. the "death and destruction" kid's names ain't discarded just yet.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zero View Post
    But that list lacks the most important stat ever: how many XPs will my character get?
    Zero, plus a quick trip to Evilsville, PLUS a mother with some +8 bonuses to hit you and kill you. :p
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?

12. - Top - End - #252
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Libro View Post
    More of a Chekhov's Howitzer in my opinion.
    Something this far-reaching isn't a gun of any description.

This qualifies as Chekhovs Comet.

Also by my eyeballing of timeline, that whiskery nipper would be less than a year old, assuming dwarf pregnancy is similar to human.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    Why would she need moral development? The comic doesn't show her doing anything evil. She might well have been Chaotic Neutral all that time.
    In my perception (!) she had to learn to take on responsibility

the last time we saw her was about her not taking resonsibility for her old live. (Due to reasons unknown to us. Her Husband might as well have been an evil drunk mass little kitten murderer and the mentor of Thog)
    Now we see her in a position that seemingly screams about her having learned everything about responsibility (for her child)

sch
    Do NOT argue with idiots - they drag you on their level and beat you with experience

14. - Top - End - #254
    Dwarf in the Playground

That kid is going to have a hel(la) problem with having to work on TWO items of legacy!!! his mother Fire Helm and his Daddy Thundershield!

Good thing uncle roy have a book for him!

15. - Top - End - #255
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Thumbs up Re: OOTS #1105 - The Discussion Thread

Yet another well played game by mr. Burlew.
    And I like how baby Durkon has small stubs on his chin.
    Once you go scaly, you'll be back daily.

16. - Top - End - #256

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vendanna View Post
    That kid is going to have a hel(la) problem with having to work on TWO items of legacy!!! his mother Fire Helm and his Daddy Thundershield!

Good thing uncle roy have a book for him!
    Lol OOTS: Next Generation

Roy/Celia and Haley/Elan can join Durkon Jr and V's Two Kids just need to replace Belkar.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tundar View Post
    Yet another well played game by mr. Burlew.
    And I like how baby Durkon has small stubs on his chin.
    Well of course. What dwarven lad would go without a beard? They're born with 'em, ya know.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Since I'm late for the "HOLY FECAL MATTER IT'S HILGYA", I'll make the obvious joke that's probably been made already. So when's Redcloak's niece coming back?

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

In my perception (!) she had to learn to take on responsibility

the last time we saw her was about her not taking resonsibility for her old live. (Due to reasons unknown to us. Her Husband might as well have been an evil drunk mass little kitten murderer and the mentor of Thog)
    Now we see her in a position that seemingly screams about her having learned everything about responsibility (for her child)

sch
    Her old life *wasn't* her responsibility. People in her situation pre-Linear Guild aren't at fault for anything they do.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    Since I'm late for the "HOLY FECAL MATTER IT'S HILGYA", I'll make the obvious joke that's probably been made already. So when's Redcloak's niece coming back?
    Redcloak ‘s niece is Haley and she’s already there. The real question is when Trigak will invent the spell Halflings Don’t Have To Breathe.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I think the best part of that is how unperturbed that kid is by all the violence and the unholy mockeries of life and sanctity. Proper dwarf stoicism in the making.

Also, Elan, isn't this time for one of your catchphrases?

On a side note, there's a decent shot she's high level enough to resurrect Durkon, but is she going to want to do so? :furiously munches popcorn in anticipation:

22. - Top - End - #262
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by skaddix View Post
    Lol OOTS: Next Generation

Roy/Celia and Haley/Elan can join Durkon Jr and V's Two Kids just need to replace Belkar.
    Vaarsuvius has no children. She signed away any rights she had to intervene in their lives, for their own good (and to punish herself), remember?

23. - Top - End - #263
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Vendanna View Post
    But... but... that would be durkula's kid then! since we know that durkula has been defined as "Not Durkon." but there has not foreshadow for that to happen! \:o/
    nope logic dictates that its NOT Durkulas child.
    (as in Durkula being NOT Durkon)

sry

sch

24. - Top - End - #264
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Huh, I had an odd thought, given Durkson's position in the baby carrying sling (we had one for our kids) that Rich probably won't do: the baby is Hilgya's holy symbol. As I pondered that more, I figure that Rich would not write that in, but it seemed sort of "Golden Child" in inspiration and Rich has drawn inspiration from a diverse set of cultural references ... but I admit that it doesn't "feel" right.
    My opinion is that the baby is carried in a front sling so as to obscure Hilgya's (un?)holy symbol, leaving us guessing for a while as to whether she's still Loki's priestess.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Vaarsuvius has no children. She signed away any rights she had to intervene in their lives, for their own good (and to punish herself), remember?
    There are two children who presumably identified Vaarsuvius as a parent at some point in their lives, though. And "CWPIVaaPaSPiTL" is way too long.

They'd also have an easy time exceeding the standard displayed by Vaarsuvius, which would be a refreshing change of pace for next-generational "Second verse, same as the first" stories.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

26. - Top - End - #266

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    My opinion is that the baby is carried in a front sling so as to obscure Hilgya's (un?)holy symbol, leaving us guessing for a while as to whether she's still Loki's priestess.
    I am not sure why Loki would be an issue. Last I checked Loki was the one leading the defense of the Planet. Good or Evil isn't especially a problem right now. Especially since Evil is not as the Directors state "One Big Happy Family"

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe everyone is taking her use of "murder" way too seriously?

It's almost certain Hilga recognizes and remembers the OOTS and that Loki also told her of the situation with Durkon becoming a vampire and High Priest of Hel. And end of the world stuff.

So I imagine now it could be possible she's making a joke with a straight face.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

HahahahhahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh my god, from that title I had a feeling it was her from the moment we heard an unaccented female voice who was suspiciously offscreen, but this is beautiful. Just beautiful.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    Her old life *wasn't* her responsibility. People in her situation pre-Linear Guild aren't at fault for anything they do.
    So she's... not? responsible for attempting to murder Ivan due to circumstances beyond his control?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    So she's... not? responsible for attempting to murder Ivan due to circumstances beyond his control?
    They were beyond her control as well.