New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    The thing is, since Jaunes faked transcripts and having no idea what he's doing is a major part of his character, what do they replace it with?

I mean, at the very least there's gotta be something else that Cardin is blackmailing him with.
    My new job starts tomorrow so don't have time to check today most likely, but I'll try and slam money at Crunchyroll until it gives me money and I'll watch it for everyone.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Mostly cause the fact Jaune cheated his way into Beacon is kind of really important to his character and his arc.

Same with Velvet being bullied considering its one of the times we actually have instances of Faunus discrimination actually being seen in the entire series. What purpose does it serve to remove it aside from making the White fang's case look even weaker.
    I think Velvet's bullying is something people complained about the heroes just sitting there at the lunch table and not doing anything.

Also, its not really consistent with CFVY's depiction later, because it turns out Velvet has friends that should be able to casually beat up CRDL. Velvet herself is also no slouch and shouldn't be taken that ****.

Juane's cheating is important, in-fact pivotal to the whole Cardin Arc (they call it internally "the Juane Arc"). However, some point out the absurdity of it.

I don't think either criticism is a reason to remove those scenes or alter the language, especially for Juane's points. Juane's level of ignorance is pretty absurd but a show like RWBY is going to be full of those sorts of things.

If both are removed from the Japanese cut, I imagine they did it, not to improve the work, but because of cultural sensitivity to the topics. If it cuts out something substantial...well, the English dubs and subtitles have been doing it for years...

Localization is mainly about censorship to avoid igniting cultural sensitivities. The other part is changing the culturally weird elements into recognizable ones. Are you really surprised that cartoon exported to Japan will be localized?

Okay 1: Calling Blake the terrorist Princess is a bit... Misleading: Her family left the White Fang before the organization went from activism to terrorism and she cut ties with them when they left. At no point was she both a princess and a terrorist
    A princess doesn't become an ex-princess because she's separated from her family. I'm pretty sure it works that way. I think some fairy tales may have a problem if it didn't.

Blake was a princess...sort of, and a terrorist. Put them together and she's a terrorist princess...

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    To clarify their points, they removed the fact that Jaune snuck into the school. So that's not canon. Probably altered things or shuffled them around a bit to make him less terrible. They also removed the scene of Velvetin getting her ears pulled, which is probably the only scene they removed classroom wise actually. But we'll see, I might watch it later because I'm super bored.
    That's an odd choice. They did this for the Japanese dub, or for Crunchyroll, or both?
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

3. - Top - End - #663

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    That's an odd choice. They did this for the Japanese dub, or for Crunchyroll, or both?
    For the Japanese dub period.

Also I'm curious if they REPLACED it with anything, like if Jaune's problem is something less silly.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Troll in the Playground

For the Japanese dub period.

Also I'm curious if they REPLACED it with anything, like if Jaune's problem is something less silly.
    If Juane didn’t cheat, then Cardin has nothing to blackmail him...the only thing I can think of to get Juane to start doing his bidding is Cardin threatens to embarrass him in front of Pyrrha...which is a difficult proposition, since we know Cardin thinks he can get Juane to toss a jar of jam right on her.

I can’t think another way to play out the dialogue if they keep all the scenes, but they could cut the entire scene where Cardin overhears or even calls Juane to do his homework, and the entire trip in the forest has a different meaning.
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.

5. - Top - End - #665

If Juane didn’t cheat, then Cardin has nothing to blackmail him...the only thing I can think of to get Juane to start doing his bidding is Cardin threatens to embarrass him in front of Pyrrha...which is a difficult proposition, since we know Cardin thinks he can get Juane to toss a jar of jam right on her.

I can’t think another way to play out the dialogue if they keep all the scenes, but they could cut the entire scene where Cardin overhears or even calls Juane to do his homework, and the entire trip in the forest has a different meaning.
    That could be it, or they come up with something else concerning like say, "has a crush on her" or something.

Regardless of your thoughts on Jaune, Japan probably wouldn't like a character who CHEATED TO GET INTO HIGHSCHOOL. So I think this is a good change, overall.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Troll in the Playground

Regardless of your thoughts on Jaune, Japan probably wouldn't like a character who CHEATED TO GET INTO HIGHSCHOOL. So I think this is a good change, overall.
    At Juane’s Age its more like exactly the age for cheating to get into college, and we both know that Japan is a hyper-competitive arena where test scores and academic performance have an importance placed on them that is not comparable to most Western countries.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Juane’s cheating is something that much harder to brush off.

7. - Top - End - #667
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

At Juane’s Age its more like exactly the age for cheating to get into college, and we both know that Japan is a hyper-competitive arena where test scores and academic performance have an importance placed on them that is not comparable to most Western countries.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Juane’s cheating is something that much harder to brush off.
    Gotta agree with you, here. To western minds, Jaune's sneaking into school speaks of overwhelming drive and near-suicidal foolishness. His ambition and drive are laudable, but his inexperience leaves him a relatively incompetent butt-monkey loser at the same time. From a Japanese perspective, however, that's gotta paint him as the biggest jackass in the world. I mean, seriously. Everyone else works themselves to the bone to hone their talents, prove their value, and earn their place, while this kid just waltzes in with falsified papers and everyone else is forced to cover for his inexperience? That sounds like it would be a thumb in the eye to Japanese ethics and turns our "lovable fool*" into irredeemable jackass.

Cardin and Velvet could be much the same, with bullying in America being regarded as a sad but inescapable fact of childhood that is much more harshly regarded in other cultures. Cardin's supposed to be a big, dumb brute of a man, but it's not like he's supposed to be evil. Or they just decided it didn't make sense for a weapon master like Velvet to barely resist despite being two years older, far more experienced, and best friends with some of the scariest students in school (who apparently view her as their trump card). I mean, that scene was recorded as a throwaway just to show Cardin was a bully, and Velvet's badass nature wasn't even in the cards until fan interest forced them to include more Velvet content. At the time it wasn't a problem, but in hindsight it's really kinda stupid and things would be better if you edited it out.

* Exact measurements of lovability are purely subjective and may vary wildly.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Ettin in the Playground

In case anyone was curious, the answer is that the Crunchyroll edit skips from the initiation test straight to the episode introducing Sun. Ruby and Weiss never have their little spat over who gets to lead the team, Jaune and Pyrrha don't start training together, and Cardin's blackmail doesn't need to be justified because it never comes up. Which...*shrug*. It's a little disorienting to jump from team RWBY's first meeting to having them bicker like they've known each other forever, and I'm sure some context is lost for later seasons, but those episodes were a massive drag.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2018-06-13 at 02:14 PM.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Gotta agree with you, here. To western minds, Jaune's sneaking into school speaks of overwhelming drive and near-suicidal foolishness. His ambition and drive are laudable, but his inexperience leaves him a relatively incompetent butt-monkey loser at the same time. From a Japanese perspective, however, that's gotta paint him as the biggest jackass in the world. I mean, seriously. Everyone else works themselves to the bone to hone their talents, prove their value, and earn their place, while this kid just waltzes in with falsified papers and everyone else is forced to cover for his inexperience? That sounds like it would be a thumb in the eye to Japanese ethics and turns our "lovable fool*" into irredeemable jackass.

Cardin and Velvet could be much the same, with bullying in America being regarded as a sad but inescapable fact of childhood that is much more harshly regarded in other cultures. Cardin's supposed to be a big, dumb brute of a man, but it's not like he's supposed to be evil. Or they just decided it didn't make sense for a weapon master like Velvet to barely resist despite being two years older, far more experienced, and best friends with some of the scariest students in school (who apparently view her as their trump card). I mean, that scene was recorded as a throwaway just to show Cardin was a bully, and Velvet's badass nature wasn't even in the cards until fan interest forced them to include more Velvet content. At the time it wasn't a problem, but in hindsight it's really kinda stupid and things would be better if you edited it out.

* Exact measurements of lovability are purely subjective and may vary wildly.
    Agree entirely on Juane. On Velvet, I think there’s something to be said for the fact that the heroes see her getting picked on without intervening, although that part might not play any differentially in Japan as anywhere else.

Really with Velvet the scene no longer serves the purpose once she is no longer a generic innocent faunus. It would be better to assert another Faunus in, or better yet, take out team CFVY entirely because they really don’t serve any story purpose whatsoever.

CFVY was put in as a way to reward and involve the deep fandom, the resources they put into bringing them into the show would have been better spent on more screentime for the main heroes in the major Season 2 end action scene.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    In case anyone was curious, the answer is that the Crunchyroll edit skips from the initiation test straight to the episode introducing Sun. Ruby and Weiss never have their little spat over who gets to lead the team, Jaune and Pyrrha don't start training together, and Cardin's blackmail doesn't need to be justified because it never comes up. Which...*shrug*. It's a little disorienting to jump from team RWBY's first meeting to having them bicker like they've known each other forever, and I'm sure some context is lost for later seasons, but those episodes were a massive drag.
    ...Those are stupid, terrible edits then. Those are just bad. Even beyond the localization of Jaune's cheating to get into Beacon (I would be fascinated to find out how the Japanese view him that because sure, he cheats to get in but he also works his ass off to justify his place once he's there), they're cutting out two moments of pretty huge character development for Ruby, Weiss, the start of Jaune and Pyrrha's whole relationship, and big character development and Aura tease for Jaune.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

11. - Top - End - #671
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    ...Those are stupid, terrible edits then. Those are just bad. Even beyond the localization of Jaune's cheating to get into Beacon (I would be fascinated to find out how the Japanese view him that because sure, he cheats to get in but he also works his ass off to justify his place once he's there), they're cutting out two moments of pretty huge character development for Ruby, Weiss, the start of Jaune and Pyrrha's whole relationship, and big character development and Aura tease for Jaune.
    I'll be honest, I'm just waiting for japanese nerds to start saying that the American dub is better while experiencing our censorship pain that we've suffered at the hands of 4kids.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

12. - Top - End - #672
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I'll be honest, I'm just waiting for japanese nerds to start saying that the American dub is better while experiencing our censorship pain that we've suffered at the hands of 4kids.
    Yeah, its not the same over there. Everyone knows at least some English and watches English movies and TV.

Also, the things they censor are different. RWBY is already bloodless, panty-less, and lacks strong or suggestive language. All they’ll get is the localization.

13. - Top - End - #673
    Bugbear in the Playground

Also, the things they censor are different. RWBY is already bloodless, panty-less, and lacks strong or suggestive language. All they’ll get is the localization.
    Wait so are the Japanese censors going to edit in blood and panty shots to make it more appropriate for Japanese audiences?

14. - Top - End - #674

Quote Originally Posted by Zmeoaice View Post
    Wait so are the Japanese censors going to edit in blood and panty shots to make it more appropriate for Japanese audiences?
    No, obviously not.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Troll in the Playground

No, obviously not.
    exactly my friend. as far as Japanese considered there is not enough panty shots from protagonists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Ogre in the Playground

I did hear that WB Japan did request that RWBY do a Hot Springs Episode... or Beach Episode or something... I'm not sure how much truth there is to that rumor, though the word is that Rooster Teeth is 100% not on-board with the idea.

17. - Top - End - #677

I mean yeah, they'd have to make new models for everyone.

(I'm teasin')

18. - Top - End - #678
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not sure where people are on this forum on panty shots and bikinis but I know Zodi wants blood. Lots and lots of blood.

19. - Top - End - #679

Not LOTS AND LOTS of blood. Just a decent amount of blood

20. - Top - End - #680

IIRC, RT's stance is no blatant fanservice in RWBY until the entire main cast is over 18.

Since Ruby is roughly 2 years younger than the other 3 and Oscar seems younger than her, I'm gonna go on a limb and say that barring a major time skip, there will be no beach or hotsprings episodes.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Ogre in the Playground

Not LOTS AND LOTS of blood. Just a decent amount of blood
    Oh, but there is. It's just staying in folks' bodies!

IIRC, RT's stance is no blatant fanservice in RWBY until the entire main cast is over 18.

Since Ruby is roughly 2 years younger than the other 3 and Oscar seems younger than her, I'm gonna go on a limb and say that barring a major time skip, there will be no beach or hotsprings episodes.
    Oh, so that's it? I just assumed that they weren't for it because it comes off as crass. So I guess it's an all or nothing thing? Either everyone gets in on the fanservice or nobody does?
    Last edited by The Fury; 2018-06-15 at 09:24 PM.

22. - Top - End - #682

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Oh, but there is. It's just staying in folks' bodies!

Oh, so that's it? I just assumed that they weren't for it because it comes off as crass. So I guess it's an all or nothing thing? Either everyone gets in on the fanservice or nobody does?
    Yeah but when you poke a hole in a body maybe show a LITTLE red to give it a more visceral feeling. Given the 3D models, the lack of a sign of there being actual damage it feels like a clipping error more than anything else.

Yeah did you expect any less from them, really?

23. - Top - End - #683
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm personally fine with fanservice, but considering this show has avoided doing that so far, at this point it would just come off as jarring and out of place.
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon D20: A system designed for adventuring in a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon world.

The Review/Analysis Thread: In-depth reviews of various games and RPG products.

The New/Redone Monsters Thread: Taking bad or bland monsters and making them more interesting and challenging.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Realms of Myth: In the world of monsters, Winda and Wynn go on an "epic" journey to find the legendary Dark Magician.

Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Madoka and Kingdom Hearts.

24. - Top - End - #684
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah but when you poke a hole in a body maybe show a LITTLE red to give it a more visceral feeling. Given the 3D models, the lack of a sign of there being actual damage it feels like a clipping error more than anything else.

Yeah did you expect any less from them, really?
    Has anyone had a hole poked in them? I know Yang had her arm sliced off, no blood showed there though. Just some glowing sparkley stuff. Maybe she's full of glowing glitter-goo?

(Edit: Oh yeah, Blake got poked in the tummy with a katana in the same scene-- duh!)
    Last edited by The Fury; 2018-06-15 at 09:59 PM.

25. - Top - End - #685

Has anyone had a hole poked in them? I know Yang had her arm sliced off, no blood showed there though. Just some glowing sparkley stuff. Maybe she's full of glowing glitter-goo?

(Edit: Oh yeah, Blake got poked in the tummy with a katana in the same scene-- duh!)
    Well I mean that's one, but also Hazel being impaled in the shoulder, and other people I could probably bring up but forgot.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Ogre in the Playground

Well I mean that's one, but also Hazel being impaled in the shoulder, and other people I could probably bring up but forgot.
    Oh yeah... And Hazel jamming dust crystals into his arms. That made his veins glow too... OK, is glowing blood going to show up again? Two instances is already more than I thought there'd be.

I guess Weiss got run through and Pyrrha got shot in the chest with an arrow, both courtesy of Cinder. Though I guess there's the reasonable inference that in both of those cases, their wounds were cauterized by the hot weapon so blood didn't show there either.
    Last edited by The Fury; 2018-06-15 at 10:26 PM.

27. - Top - End - #687
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oh yeah... And Hazel jamming dust crystals into his arms. That made his veins glow too... OK, is glowing blood going to show up again? Two instances is already more than I thought there'd be.

I guess Weiss got run through and Pyrrha got shot in the chest with an arrow, both courtesy of Cinder. Though I guess there's the reasonable inference that in both of those cases, their wounds were cauterized by the hot weapon so blood didn't show there either.
    Weiss's wound was bleeding. Not a lot, but between the holes and the bloodstains I think she's going to need a new dress. Vernal's wound bled too.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Hazel got a giant grimm bee harpoon stinger through him. And it seemed to have any effect at all... for less time than it took to reel him back into the fight.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Excession View Post
    Weiss's wound was bleeding. Not a lot, but between the holes and the bloodstains I think she's going to need a new dress.
    Was that blood? That rusty-colored bit where she got stabbed could be blood, though I assumed it was a scorch mark.

Though yeah, Weiss probably will want a new dress, though I like the idea of her trying to get the stains out while muttering "Out, darned spot!" then showing up later with the holes patched.

30. - Top - End - #690
    Barbarian in the Playground

So...is anyone besides me telling themselves that the show ended with Season 3?

I got through S4, but just barely. I found S5 unwatchable.

At first I thought they were brave for going on without Monty, but by now I think it was a huge mistake. I'd prefer a flawed and incomplete cult classic to a run-into-the-ground commercial IP.
    "...one may smile, and smile, and be a villain..."

JB: I don't get this at all. I thought Lo Pan...
    LP: Shut up, Mr. Burton! You are not put upon this world to "get it"!