New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

Spoiler: v6 Sneak Peek
    Show
    The open entrance is actual competent setup for the inevitable stowaway. Good work!

I'm dubious about Oscar's line at the end, though. That doesn't seems like an Oscar perspective at all.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Colossus in the Playground

I feel bad I haven't kept up with the preview and trailer discourse I've just been busy and tired preparing for a move to my own apartment. Sorry!

3. - Top - End - #843
    Pixie in the Playground

Its great!

4. - Top - End - #844
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I feel bad I haven't kept up with the preview and trailer discourse I've just been busy and tired preparing for a move to my own apartment. Sorry!
    Can't participate either. Videos just overwhelm my poor phone internet which is what I run everything off of.

Which makes me a sad fan.

EDIT: Wait, not true, I heard something interesting and wanted to ask fans about it! So apparently RWBY (and another RT show) are getting a comic run in DC comics which is...well..pretty awesome for RWBY but it got me to thinking. Cause I know RWBY had a manga series written for it as well but..I can't think of any other material that's gotten that sort of treatment.

By which I mean an independent property getting a manga run and a Western comic run...cause that feels like a significant benchmark in...something, I don't really know, but it feels important! So I wanted to ask if anyone here knew of anything similar happening.
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2018-10-25 at 09:17 PM.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

5. - Top - End - #845

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Can't participate either. Videos just overwhelm my poor phone internet which is what I run everything off of.

Which makes me a sad fan.

EDIT: Wait, not true, I heard something interesting and wanted to ask fans about it! So apparently RWBY (and another RT show) are getting a comic run in DC comics which is...well..pretty awesome for RWBY but it got me to thinking. Cause I know RWBY had a manga series written for it as well but..I can't think of any other material that's gotten that sort of treatment.

By which I mean an independent property getting a manga run and a Western comic run...cause that feels like a significant benchmark in...something, I don't really know, but it feels important! So I wanted to ask if anyone here knew of anything similar happening.
    Spider Man gets a ton of Manga content, or did anyway.

Also hey, the opening is here! It's fine.

Not a big fan of some of the shots, and the series promises the three worst villains in the series are coming back to torment me specifically.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Troll in the Playground

Not a big fan of some of the shots, and the series promises the three worst villains in the series are coming back to torment me specifically.
    Did you not notice the
    Spoiler: Possibly Biggest Surprise of All RWBY
    Show
    The suspiciously familiar hat flying in one of the opening scenes right by a hooded figure?
    What are you imagining this means?

Also, nana goggles is officially a big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

7. - Top - End - #847

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Did you not notice the
    Spoiler: Possibly Biggest Surprise of All RWBY
    Show
    The suspiciously familiar hat flying in one of the opening scenes right by a hooded figure?
    What are you imagining this means?

Also, nana goggles is officially a big deal.
    I mean it's just symbolism Reddish. Or are you meaning to tell me that Adam is secretly on the train with them right across from Yang and Blake, since it showed his reflection there on the outside of it

8. - Top - End - #848

And a takusatsu show.

There was going to be a spin-off about Captain America but the plans for that one fell through and it became Battle Fever-J.

Becuase of that, Super Sentai is canonically considered to be part of the Marvel Multiverse, albeit a separate world from Supaidaman.

Spider-Man is the reason why the Power Rangers have giant robots.

This pointless trivia session is brought to you by Rater's weird brain.

Spoiler: Opening
    Show
    There is no way in hell that hooded girl with Roman's hat blowing around her isn't either Neo having survived her fall or someone related to Roman.

I initially thought that the Sphinx Grimm they were fighting was an Alpha version of the Griffon Grimm and I was like "Oh God, did he somehow survive being eaten after all?"
    Last edited by Rater202; 2018-10-27 at 10:57 AM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Ettin in the Playground

Makes the opening big.

Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

10. - Top - End - #850
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    And a takusatsu show.

There was going to be a spin-off about Captain America but the plans for that one fell through and it became Battle Fever-J.

Becuase of that, Super Sentai is canonically considered to be part of the Marvel Multiverse, albeit a separate world from Supaidaman.

Spider-Man is the reason why the Power Rangers have giant robots.

This pointless trivia session is brought to you by Rater's weird brain.
    Before I trust everything said is absolutely official word. How do you know Spider-Man inspire Giant Robots for Power Ranger?

Show
    There is no way in hell that hooded girl with Roman's hat blowing around her isn't either Neo having survived her fall or someone related to Roman.

I initially thought that the Sphinx Grimm they were fighting was an Alpha version of the Griffon Grimm and I was like "Oh God, did he somehow survive being eaten after all?"
    [/QUOTE]

Spoiler: S6 OP speculation and a hat
    Show
    Neo is a problematic choice since she can’t talk (or at least hadn’t). She’s hard to write into a story. Now, if a Roman relative or associate is involved...that could work and could work as a way to bring back the voice actor and/or personality that dominated 3 seasons. Especially because...the suggestion they leave is Cinder is dead and gone isn’t it?

I think they are setting up Emerald as a potential defector from Salem’s camp. That only works if Cinder remains out of the picture, or comes back only as a new faction herself.
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.

11. - Top - End - #851

Before I trust everything said is absolutely official word. How do you know Spider-Man inspire Giant Robots for Power Ranger?

Show

Spoiler: S6 OP speculation and a hat
    Show
    Neo is a problematic choice since she can’t talk (or at least hadn’t). She’s hard to write into a story. Now, if a Roman relative or associate is involved...that could work and could work as a way to bring back the voice actor and/or personality that dominated 3 seasons. Especially because...the suggestion they leave is Cinder is dead and gone isn’t it?

I think they are setting up Emerald as a potential defector from Salem’s camp. That only works if Cinder remains out of the picture, or comes back only as a new faction herself.
    [/QUOTE]

Because just based on timeline alone, Supaida-Man was released before the first Sentai show, and had a giant robot in it. It kinda acted as the inspiration for it.
    Show

It's definitely Neo, I doubt they'd introduce Roman's lost cousin or whatever, and Cinder is so dead she doesn't even show up in the opening that I saw.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Troll in the Playground

Show

It's definitely Neo, I doubt they'd introduce Roman's lost cousin or whatever, and Cinder is so dead she doesn't even show up in the opening that I saw.
    Spoiler: Opening and other trailer material
    Show
    Neo by herself doesn’t work unless she suddenly develops a voice box or has someone to follow. Her entire character is being a cool and focused mute cypher so we need someone for her to follow or at least explain what she is doing and why.

The comic stuff they do in RWBY Chibi or Nomad of Nowhere with mutes wont work for the tone of RWBY, not for a villain.

Cinder wouldn’t be in the opening for the simple reason they want to leave it a surprise if she shows up. We need more to accept her final demise, but Emerald’s apparent arc is making her return more complicated. I don’t see room in the narrative.

13. - Top - End - #853

Spoiler: Opening and other trailer material
    Show
    Neo by herself doesn’t work unless she suddenly develops a voice box or has someone to follow. Her entire character is being a cool and focused mute cypher so we need someone for her to follow or at least explain what she is doing and why.

The comic stuff they do in RWBY Chibi or Nomad of Nowhere with mutes wont work for the tone of RWBY, not for a villain.

Cinder wouldn’t be in the opening for the simple reason they want to leave it a surprise if she shows up. We need more to accept her final demise, but Emerald’s apparent arc is making her return more complicated. I don’t see room in the narrative.
    Show
    My guess is they'll use Neo as a foil for other characters.

Or maybe they'll dip into trying to make a nuanced character who cannot speak and exploring how ta...ahahahaa yeah I can't finish. Someone who's seen the first episode already made it clear that the writing continues to be the level of quality one would expect, they're not gonna do this.

But yeah I do think they'll just make her a foil for other characters.

14. - Top - End - #854

Supaidaman, the live action Japanese Spider-Man show, was made by Toei, who also make the Super Sentai series.

The Super in Super Sentai coems from their giant robots--while Gorenger and JAQK are considered part of the Super Sentai coninuity, originally they were just sentai becuase they did not have giant robots.

One of the differences between Supaidaman and the Spider-Man comics was that he had a living Space Ship, the Marvel, that could turn into Leopardon, a giant Robot that he used when his own strength wasn't enough.

Leopardon was one of the first giant robots in Tokusatsu, and the popularity or it led to the inclusion of a giant robot in Battle Fever J, the third Sentai Series, the first Super Sentai, and as previously stated, originally planned as a Captain America adaption spun off from Supaidaman.

Power Rangers has giant robots, becuase Saban, Disney, and then Saban again used stock footage of Super Sentai purchased from Toei for most of the action scenes--I bet these guys look awfully familiar

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Ettin in the Playground

Woooo! RWBY is back and I'm ever so thankful to still be getting a VRV premium membership cause I get to watch it earlier! So in the counter view to our favorite negative nancy, lets get this show on the road!

Or this train on the track.

Spoiler: RWBY V6 Ch1 Argus Unlimited
    Show
    So lets break down and talk about what happens in this half hour long episode. Remember all of that stuff with the train. THAT'S ALL IN THIS EPISODE.

So the chapter opens with the Manticore Grimm and I'm guessing an Alpha Manticore Grimm attacking a train with the members of RWBY working together to fend them off while automated turrets atop the train fire at them. We get some nice shots of basic teamwork and banter among the girls before a tunnel is spotted and they race to get back into cover before being smushed off the train and manage to do so. Then the flashbacks begin to how they got to that point...sort of.

We get a recap of the previous volume by Qrow writing a letter to Ironwood, letting him know what happened (as much as possible, Qrow makes the right call of talking about relics or Salem in a letter) and lets him know they have even more bad news coming along with them. Ruby goes zooming by and get get some cute interactions such as Weiss lamenting how much effort it took to get out of Atlas just to go right back to be reassured her team will be by her side this time before a pair of hunters approach the group and try to extort them. Oh, and there's a scene LaZodiac will love because it means we won't be seeing Sun again until they go to Vacuo. Tell them that they've been hired to protect the train but for a little bit of cash they make extra sure Team Word Salad's train car is safe at which point Qrow scares them off with his own hunter credentials. Ozpin hopes they didn't graduate from Beacon. Still the two have a fun dynamic with one another and their weapons are neat. A tetsubo and rifle though, obviously, the tetsubo has more going on with it.

We cut to inside of the train where they're hanging out inside of the train car with one another and Ruby and Yang get ready to play some games with each other but Yang has to get her Scroll out of her bag. To which Blake runs over to get it for her, earning a bit of irkiness from Yang for understandable reasons but she doesn't lash out at Blake. Not that she even gets time to do so because there's Grimm sign and they comment on their bad luck just for Qrow to specify its SOMEONE'S bad luck (his).

We go back to the train top and get to see the fight in whole and...is a pretty good battle! It flows well and there's some nice team work, the members of RWBY aren't just working by themselves in a vacuum there is some basic combos going on. The Manticore Grimm have some pretty cool designs and are fairly threatening, especially the Alpha which shows startling degrees of strategy in that it calls in its minions to take hits or intercept fighters against it. The two hunters from before show up and try to face down the Alpha, just for the one with the tetsubo (which is also an electrified drill) to be knocked off the train. This signals the other hunter to trigger the automated turrets.

Which turn out to be a problem actually.

Because in order to destroy the turrets, the Grimm are moving up the train...away from the unoccupied rear cars because the gang had everyone head towards the front of the train and thus towards the passengers to be out of the way. Qrow goes to tell the guy to shut them down, but that's when the tunnel comes up and we find out that its Qrow that called it out.

They successfully make it inside the train again but the doofus hunter couldn't get his arm entirely back in the train before it went into the tunnel. Which means the only reason he probably still has an arm is because of Aura and Qrow gets the guy to turn off the turrets. Ruby proposes that they detach the rear cars while the gang remain behind on them to lure the Grimm away but Ozpin (who has remained mostly silent and let Oscar handle the fight), surprise surprise, didn't tell everyone something important. The Grimm won't just be drawn to the people on the train but also the knowledge relic! Seems like important info, no?

Anyway, we find out that Jaune's aura can be used to not just boost someone's aura but in the process also their Semblance which is...pretty awesome actually. So they have Jaune, Nora, and Ren stay with the passengers with Ren using his Jaune-boosted semblance to cloak them all while team RWBY, Qrow, and I think Ozcar fight the Grimm. We get more of a fun battle and combo attacks before the Alpha derails the detached cars (Blake had a brief flashback to Adam while detaching the cars, fyi) and they end up in the snowy wastes! Along with Nana Tech Goggles who apparently didn't evacuate like she was supposed to and is now with them! Snow time adventures, hoy!

Also, there was a scene that I haven't mentioned yet because I forgot when it took place because it wasn't connected to anything else. Well..kind of. Turns out the White Fang pretty much are done and Ghira is trying to set up a different kind of organization in its place! That's where Illya is going to be off doing things it seems but we also cut to Adam back at White Fang headquarters where, understandably, those White Fang that didn't go to Haven heard what happened to Adam and where none too pleased. Down right insulting to him in fact until he murders all of them.

Looks like Adam is done with the White Fang and taking his 'revenge on Blake' plans a lot more seriously now! Because he wasn't before...?

Anyway, it was a good start to the volume, had some good action and interactions between the characters. I like the new opening but not sure about the song just yet...but yeah, there's my thoughts!
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

16. - Top - End - #856

I make no promises on when I'll get to be able to watch the show, given I don't know when it's out and I'm preparing to move this week. I'll try not to be overly negative as I seem to have the reputation of being

17. - Top - End - #857
    Ettin in the Playground

I make no promises on when I'll get to be able to watch the show, given I don't know when it's out and I'm preparing to move this week. I'll try not to be overly negative as I seem to have the reputation of being
    Return when you can for you are my moon in RWBY to balance out the

Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

18. - Top - End - #858
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't you dare! You sour, curmudgeonly opinion is both funny and brings a necessary counter-point to all our gushing! Besides, you're a good sport about being called out when you missed something that makes the show better or when the show is actually just good.

And when its not...critique is a good thing.

19. - Top - End - #859
    Ettin in the Playground

Its RWBY Day, its RWBY Day, oh glorious RWBY Day!

I was going to just edit this in to my last post but then people would probably miss this and why would I want that? First episode of RWBY should be available on their website now (but not on Youtube? Are they not releasing on Youtube anymore?) and 2nd episode is up for people with a FIRST (Or VrV!) Membership!

And ohhhhh boy is the 2nd episode a doozy!

Spoiler: Volume 6 Chapter 2 Uncovered
    Show
    There is two big parts to this chapter and as is MY usual method, I'll be doing with them separately since both deserve equal amounts of attention.

First section.

CINDER IS ALIVE! Holy crap! Raven DIDN'T secure the kill after all! Turns out there was a pit of water at the bottom of that drop and Cinder didn't just hit cave floor and shatter...or get frozen all the way through at all. And once she thaws, Cinder drags herself out of the lake and onto the shore where she tries to start a fire with her maiden powers to warm up just for them to fail to start up (the implication being she's worn out, not that they are gone). After a moment of...frustration and it seems like a bit of self-hatred, the wall in front of her crumbles a bit to let light through into the chamber. Now there is no indication this is the case but there's none that it isn't either, so in the interest of giving RT credit I'm going to say this happened because of the after effects of Maidenbowl, not because there was a natural cave leading in to the relic chamber.

Either way, the sight of it makes Cinder rely on her other source of strength...GRIM ARM! So she makes her way out into the open just to collapse and some poor lady to stumble upon her and offer to help her out. I say poor because right after she offers to help Cinder, she notices said GRIM ARM and Cinder turns on the Maiden Eye.

The next scene we see Cinder in, she's wearing the poor woman's clothes so she's dead. And with this we've seen pretty much everything from the opening theme song! The woman in the hood is NOT Neo, but Cinder which is an equally large reveal! In either case, Cinder's wrapped up her grimness and is wandering around a city and hears (in brief) a news report that Hazel, Emerald, Cinder, and Mercury are still on the run as well as available pictures of the four. Gotta say, Hazel was (and is) a looker in his younger years!

Anyway, she wanders through the town until she sees the sign of a spider in a wepb carved on a sign and goes inside. Goes up to a fun looking plump blonde lady and asks if she's little miss Malachite in that smug-in-perfect-control Cinder tone. Fun, looking plump lady threatens to skin Cinder alive if she ever speaks to her in that tone again. I like Malachite! And I also just realized that this is little Miss Muffet. Cool!

Anyway, Cinder makes a friend(?) and pays the lady to smuggle her out of Mistral and back to Sa...hahahaha no, Cinder has her revenger lady-boner going strong and she wants to track down Team Letter Salad for revenge! Before Malachite can give an answer, someone comes inside and Cinder jumps turning to look at the door and we get a little life lesson from Miss Southern Belle. She tells Cinder that she used to be scared to death of spiders and asks Cinder if she knows what she did to get over that fear. And in another look into Cinder's dismissive and thuggish side, Cinder answers 'until you learned to kill them?' But no...Malachite says that'd be foolish because the world needs spiders! No, she was scared of them until she learned to make the spiders work for her. No offense Malachite, but Salem has been trying to teach Cinder this for longer and Cinder respects her and it still hasn't sunk in. Good intentions but you're banging your head against a wall of ego there.

In any case seems like it will take a week for them to find out what Cinder wants and Cinder leaves. At which point Malachite's minion asks her what's the play because they already know the information Cinder wants because the big guy who just came through town was asking the same thing. Hazel? Now that's more ominous if Hazel is taking Mercury and Emerald to track down Team LetterSalad because he knows they have the relic. Malachite responds that they know where Cinder's prey is, but it'll take a week or so to find out if someone is looking for Cinder and, if they are, how much they'll pay for that info...

That's the end of Cinder's segment and...I like it! I mean, I've talked before about how I kind of love the fact the direction Cinder's character has gone in she was smug and in control to finding out not only is she not but why she's not while she's vulnerable and needing guidance to seemingly taking that guidance only to completely go back to her old habits at the earliest chance because of her need for revenge. I think that's great stuff but here...well..it keeps going. Every time Cinder tries to brute force her way through a problem she keeps getting beat down and its chipping away at her.

Not to mention I like this Spider gang and I am curious who might be willing to pay to find Cinder because the only person I can think of...well...is still Neo actually. So she might still be coming back but she's not the hooded woman. Straightforward, character/plot driven good content!

Now...onto the real meat of the episode! And let me preface this...if you don't trust or like Ozpin, then this chapter is your jam!

So we open with our heroes before they've left on the train for just a few minutes, long enough for Ozcar to talk about what the Relic of Knowledge actually does while he demonstrates it can change sizes. As it turns out, the Knowledge Relic can answer any question so long as its not something that hasn't happened yet. In other words, so long as you don't try to use it to predict the future, it can tell you anything which is pretty neat for a lamp. However it can only answer three questions every hundred years. Yang, quite understandably says that isn't so bad and Nora immediately wants to know what they're going to ask the relic including the age-old D&D question of 'can we ask for more questions' and Lin responding that they get questions, not wishes. Ozpin says, unfortunately that all of the questions had been asked before he sealed the Knowledge relic away which..okay, I'm giving RT credit on 'battle-damage opening the hole Cinder escapes through rather than not thinking it through' but this is not a good moment here. OZPIN sealed all the relic away? And he said the reason they didn't have to worry about the relic at Beacon is because it was hidden away better than the other relics. Well why the heck wasn't the Knowledge Relic hidden away just as well?! We also find out the plan is to go to Atlas because its the most secure kingdom, even if Ironwood has closed the borders and that's why they're going to Argus. Cause its home to the largest Atlesian military base outside of the northern continent and is also the biggest trading hub for Atlas and Mistral...so even if it was being closed down (and Qrow doesn't think it will be) it won't have been closed down YET. So they're going to go there, speak to the military personnel there and convince them to give a ride to Atlas. Qrow is actually pretty sure they can get escorted straight to Ironwood which is what he'd prefer and that'd be awesome...but ultimately hopeless cause we know how the train ride goes. Still, it was a good plan!

Either way we cut back to the present and Ruby's picking up the knowledge relic while Yang tries, and fails, to get Bumble Bee out of the snow while complaining about the situation. They've lost a third of their team and now they've got a helpless old woman with them as well! To which old lady gives her name (which I've forgotten) and says she's not helpless! Just kind of deaf but as long as she's got her eye-goggles she's good...except they really need a tune up and haven't been working...okay, she's helpless. She's also got a cool sugar skull capping her walking stick which is awesome.

In either case Qrow tries to get Yang to cool it before they draw more Grim to themselves but Blake snaps back about how that apparently doesn't matter because they've been drawing Grim to them anyway! So yeah, Team RWBY is rightfully peeved by that and Yang demands an answer ebcause she (and the rest of the team, but not me!) thought they were past lies and half-truths. Ozpin takes over and explains that yes the relic draws Grim but its low-key and he didn't want to make them anxious with that knowledge and make it worse. Weiss gets frosty because she's sick and tired of other people deciding what's best for her but Yang (or was it Blake) wants to know if its the same as the situation with hiding Lionheart's betrayal from the public (which was mentioned last episode, but I didn't think it was going to be brought up again so I didn't mention it) and giving him a 'hero's death' in the eyes of the general populace.

And here's were things really begin to unravel because Ozpin says he did it out of remembrance for who Leo was, someone they didn't know, and not the man they met willing to bring Ozcar to Salem in the desperate hope of saving himself. To remember the man he was and not just the 'mis-steps' he made in the last legs of his life. Uhh...Mis-steps? He got the vast majority of hunters in Mistral killed! Yang seems ready to point that out too but Ozpin cuts her off and is getting a bit more heated as well and says yes what Leo did was reprehensible but basically the Dark Knight Harvey Dent argument. Mistral deserves the comforting lie because who knows what the people would do if they knew the truth?

And you know htings have gone south because now Ruby questions Ozpin with one hell of a haymaker. Cause, as she points out, for as much as Ozpin talks up about people banding together and believing in humanity...he doesn't actually seem to do it himself and THAT seems to get to him. Ruby even just flat out say 'we're not going to betray you, you can trust us!' and Ozpin just lets it all hang out...that Leo said those same words and so has so many others. And...I'll get into this later, this is a great discussion point though.

Ozpin notices he doesn't have the relic though and Ruby reveals she's holding on to it and Ozpin freaks and demands to have the relic back but...Ruby wants to know why? After all, its not like the relic can do anything right now, there's nothing wrong with her holding it...right? To which OSCAR stops Ozpin from trying to take the relic from Ruby and tells them to 'he's trying to keep you from saying her name, say 'Djinn'/'Jinn' and find out what he's trying to keep hidden'! That gets Qrow in motion cause he's been staying quiet this whole time but the moment he starts to say something and move, Weiss, Blake, and Yang all draw weapons and form up around Ruby and even Ruby seems a bit on the defensive! We're talking no hesitation Team RWBY is willing to throw down with Qrow and its really tense! (minor nitpick: if it takes saying a specific name to activate the relic and Ruby thinks it can't do anything, why is Ozpin worried Ruby will accidentally trigger it?)

Qrow, for his part, seems pretty torn as well and backs down just to tell Ruby to do what she feels is right. Looks like Qrow wouldn't mind some answers as well...So Ruby says the magic word. Hey, remember how LaZodiac mentioned the platform that was the elevator to the relic chamber being a woman bound in chains and wondering if that was symbolic of the way everyone is treating the maidens?

NOPE!

Its way more literal foreshadowing, that's JINN who is the entity in the l....she's a genie. Lets just be honest here, Jinn is a genie. She even says hello to Ozpin before starting to state how many questions remains and Ozpin tries to get her to stop. But, hah, Jinn was made by one of the two brothers and basically just waits for him to be quiet before continuing. Turns out Ozpin lied again. The Relic has two questions left.

And so we end with Ruby asking the Second Question of the relic. 'What is Ozpin trying to hide from us?'

Ozpin gains control and runs for the relic but everything flashes into a white void as we settle in for story time with Jinn. Ruby, Weiss, Blake, Yang, and Qrow get transported to a lonely tower (That looks a lot like Beacon) with a lonely girl inside..she even looks like the mysterious blonde woman from the intro..who's named Salem.

....Well crap! That's where the episode ends! Looks like we're finding out about Salem next episode folks!

Spoiler: V6 Ch2 Talking Point
    Show
    I actually like the debate between Ozpin and RWBY. Its a great talking point to me even if I don't particularly like Ozpin, even if he doesn't mean to cause any harm.

On the one hand, RWBY doesn't and cannot trust Ozpin to have their best interests at heart because as this episode reveals, he quite plainly does not trust them. He's put them unknowingly in danger multiple times and refuses to tell them crucial information until the last minute...or even past it! If they're going to band together, as he preaches, against Salem/the Grim then they need to trust one another and work together but the flow of information only goes one way as far as Ozpin is concerned. They tell him everything but he tells them almost nothing! And why shouldn't people get the truth? I mean, they are roughly all teenagers and most of them don't have the life experience to know that a comfortable lie is sometimes better than the truth, especially in their specific world but it all depends on context and the situation at hand. So Ozpin is just being a right bastard, especially after he's made promise after promise to be forthright and honest with them and, when confronted on this, has the nerve to get defensive and angry about it.

On the other hand...you can see Ozpin's situation and RT somewhat effectively captures the attitude of a being that's been alive for...who knows how long. He's seen allies come and go from natural and unnatural causes. As he said, he's seen plenty of Lionhearts which makes it difficult to justify trusting others with more information than they need but also why he's so...forgiving of Leo. From RWBY's perspective, he's a guy who turned his back on the world for self survival and how could anyone do that? None of them would and neither would the people they know but from Ozpin's point of view and from what we've heard about Salem sinking her claws into people, this is not an isolated incident. Its sad that Leo fell but he wasn't the first and he won't be the last as far as Ozpin is concerned so he chooses to remember the man he was rather than the coward he became. The sum total of the good Leo did versus the damage he did in his last couple of years. For all he knows, RWBY is the same (though the fact this is an animated series titled after RWBY, we the audience know better), maybe these specific people won't turn but the ones after might or maybe RWBY will as well. He's acting as a who-knows[how[old wizard that is basically the only constant and incorruptible force on the side of good and he's been burned before. So I get it..but its so frustrating (in a good way) to deal with Ozpin and such a relief to finally have the curtain pulled back against his wishes.

Partially because none of his secrets-holding has turned out well!

Oh, and on the technical side we now have a better indicator of when Oscar is engaging his aura and when Ozpin is taking the reigns...even if its a bit unsettling to look at.

Really liked this chapter, hope others do too when they get to watch it!

20. - Top - End - #860

Spoiler: V6:E1 - Argus Limited
    Show
    "Why is it always SOMETHING!"

That line perfectly encapsulates how absolutely done with all of this Nora must be feeling right now and will be my suggestion when it becomes time to change threads.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #861

Oh so they're doing a week long staggering, only putting it on their website instead? I knew they weren't using Youtube anymore, but I didn't know they were crippling themselves so completely.

22. - Top - End - #862
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh so they're doing a week long staggering, only putting it on their website instead? I knew they weren't using Youtube anymore, but I didn't know they were crippling themselves so completely.
    I don't know if its taking that long for it to show up on their website (I watch through VRV after all) but it always took a week to show up on Youtube.

I don't think it's that crippling though, there has to be some incentive to get those RT FIRST memberships, why not put their biggest series early access on it?

23. - Top - End - #863
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Spoiler: Season 6 Episode 1
    Show

Okay, so first major reaction: Adam's done hiding the crazy now. And just murder about a dozen of what is the closest thing to allies he has left.

Okay kinda not okay with hiding Leo's whole deal.
    Back to trusting Iron Wood to be good again.
    Lots of bravado from Dee and Dudly as they are definitely over selling themselves. And Qrow CRATERS them for it.
    Yeah for positive gains from good deeds. Shows that to some degree the world does have something akin to karma. At times.
    Also Sun and Neptune ruining scenes as usual. But at least Sun is starting to realize how crappy a team mate is. And by that he means, not a team member.
    So character writing has gotten a +1, so closer to being good. Then sudden Grimm attack, and Qrow kinda blames himself. Also generic huntsmen make school kids look good, dear gods how do the Academies let kids like these graduate? Cool self armoring train though. Active defenses aren't worth **** though. Can't have a train fight without a sudden tunnel now can we, and the grimm are smarter than the generic. Jaune proves useful again (man that is starting to not be a notable thing). Ruby once again shows she's a GODDAMN GOOD LEADER, and that Oz wasn't wrong with all the trust he's given her. But RWBY leaves JNR. Team competance level? Now about a +5-7. The half of the train we care about is derailed with one extra old coot. Whelp nothing ever goes smoothly for the heroes huh?

Overall getting so close to the point where I'd want them to take their improved skills and redo everything up to the second half of season 3. And whatever else gets changed from that.
    Last edited by jindra34; 2018-11-03 at 04:19 PM.

24. - Top - End - #864

I don't know if its taking that long for it to show up on their website (I watch through VRV after all) but it always took a week to show up on Youtube.

I don't think it's that crippling though, there has to be some incentive to get those RT FIRST memberships, why not put their biggest series early access on it?
    I mean I need to wait a week to actually be up to date with everyone else. And now I have to use their website, which is...volatile, with me.

Speaking of, I'll attend to this at some point today or tomorrow.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Ettin in the Playground

I mean I need to wait a week to actually be up to date with everyone else. And now I have to use their website, which is...volatile, with me.

Speaking of, I'll attend to this at some point today or tomorrow.
    Oh right! I remember now, the RT website is very unfriendly for you. Been so long I forgot about that.

@Jindra: Weird as it sounds, I'm kind of with you and kind of not. Redoing the first three volumes (mostly) would be a big improvement in a lot of ways. Updated tech, better knowledge of story-telling and characterizing, less early installment weirdness like Ruby going chibi randomly, and things of that nature.

Something I think they would lose though is...well..Monty's contributions to the series which are not insubstantial in the animation department and what not. You can still point to early action scenes as being some of the best in the series and still stand outs in this style of animation period. Going back to redo them would basically erase all of that and that is the kind of things that originally drew people to the series. So it's a weird thing to debate. If I could have volume 1-3 action choreography with end-of-volume 3-5 character work and graphical capabilities, jeez..that I'd take in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2018-11-03 at 05:30 PM.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Troll in the Playground

Oh right! I remember now, the RT website is very unfriendly for you. Been so long I forgot about that.

@Jindra: Weird as it sounds, I'm kind of with you and kind of not. Redoing the first three volumes (mostly) would be a big improvement in a lot of ways. Updated tech, better knowledge of story-telling and characterizing, less early installment weirdness like Ruby going chibi randomly, and things of that nature.

Something I think they would lose though is...well..Monty's contributions to the series which are not insubstantial in the animation department and what not. You can still point to early action scenes as being some of the best in the series and still stand outs in this style of animation period. Going back to redo them would basically erase all of that and that is the kind of things that originally drew people to the series. So it's a weird thing to debate. If I could have volume 1-3 action choreography with end-of-volume 3-5 character work and graphical capabilities, jeez..that I'd take in a heartbeat.
    Volume 3 was practically the same people in charge as now (according to Shane Neville at least, they changed to Maya and chucked Monty’s Season work on Poser, although a recent video I watched, Miles said Maya was a Season 4 shift, making this season the equivalent of Season 3 for Poser, that they finally mastered the medium).

What we are seeing now is very good in the animation department but the beats are different. I find the fight movements just too clean.

But we are getting fights! That and some serious plot movement. This volume is showing signs it’s not going to take things at the pace of the prior two.

27. - Top - End - #867
    Titan in the Playground

I haven't been able to even watch episode 1. Bah!
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

28. - Top - End - #868
    Ettin in the Playground

Volume 3 was practically the same people in charge as now (according to Shane Neville at least, they changed to Maya and chucked Monty’s Season work on Poser, although a recent video I watched, Miles said Maya was a Season 4 shift, making this season the equivalent of Season 3 for Poser, that they finally mastered the medium).

What we are seeing now is very good in the animation department but the beats are different. I find the fight movements just too clean.

But we are getting fights! That and some serious plot movement. This volume is showing signs it’s not going to take things at the pace of the prior two.
    Is Shane Neville the guy who was fired and then wrote a 'condemning' letter about RT that honestly painted himself in a terrible light and made it seem like he was...overly attached to Monty and needed to seek help? Cause...I have a difficult time taking any of his claims seriously and from what I've heard otherwise, they made the switch to Maya for Season 4 and season 5 was when they made real progress with using it. Basically what you said.

But yeah we do see clear improvement here but the style of fights is still very..anime-esque and still different from before. Not necessarily worst but its definitely different.

Also I didn't mind the pace of Volume 4, it was kind of necessary I felt but also it seemed to hit a sweet spot. It didn't have many fights but each one was important. I prefer that to fights but no meaning but things are definitely helping with pace compared to season 5.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Ettin in the Playground

Roosterteeth decided it was just too much of a struggle trying to keep within Youtube's arbitrary monetization policies.

Anyway, here goes.

Spoiler: v6c1
    Show
    Starting off with a train-top action setpiece. It's mostly notable for RT's ambitious decision to make it a quasi-oner, up to Nora's hammer-blow. Props to them for setting a lofty goal, although it loses the continuous flowing quality that is the purpose of oners when the focus shifts to JNR. You can tell when the animation team ran out of time to polish the transitions. Air resistance seems not to be a thing in Vale, but that's a fairly common convenience. Oscar shouts out the tunnel and everyone gets indoors.

Cut to implied action scene where White Fang members convey the extent to which Haven ruined Adam's image and Adam slaughters them, then broods over Blake. I guess the White Fang base is very lightly staffed? This scene didn't answer any questions for me or raise new ones, so if it's not useful for the story and not compelling to watch...it's a reminder that Adam exists, I guess? But Blake already gets trauma-induced visions of him, so it just seems unnecessary all around. Also, the voice distortion reminds me of Shadow of Mordor.

Back with the gang, Qrow narrates a letter to Ironwood at a train station. It's not clear whether this letter is the official report or is commenting on some external report. Rehabilitating Leo's image for public consumption is only natural, and therefore a solid writing decision. Oh, and I guess the train sequence was just out of sequence so we could start with action. Shrug.

That takes us to the sneak peek footage, which we've already seen/commented on, and then to Blake bidding farewell to Ilia and Sun. Dialogue cringe aside (how much of the back-and-forth between Blake and Ilia consisted of "As you know..."?), the faunus get a new movement, and the faunus supporting characters get shuffled off the board, leaving just enough uncertainty on Sun's part to appease Black Sun shippers.

Blake and Yang get very light treatment, something to keep an eye on, and then the Grimm attack. One of the Chumpsmen gets killed immediately; the other gets to activate the turrets, which is temporarily a good thing (kills Grimm) but turns out to be a bad thing (attracts Grimm towards the passengers). Honestly, this point doesn't make sense. We see inside the rear cars and they're passenger cars. The passengers have not been gathered at the front of the train. We even see that the second car from the rear has quite a few passengers in it. Grimm attacking any of the cars are attacking passengers. And the turrets aren't the only thing attracting the Grimm; the passengers' emotions are, too.

My headcanon is that Qrow & co. want to concentrate the Grimm attack where they are instead of spreading it out all over the train, which is a perfectly fine motive. Not that it matters; this whole debate is about to be obsoleted. It's just a way for Our Heroes to show intelligence/leadership while Chumpsman #2 is foolish.

Well, to be fair, it also lets Qrow be a flawed *******, which is good. And Chumpsman #2 getting hurt gives Jaune a chance to remind us he's an Aura amplifier now, which leads us into the next bit. Jaune's gonna amplify Ren's Semblance to mask everyone on the train. Well and good, but they're not the only Grimm magnet; Ozpin chooses now to inform us that the Relic also attracts Grimm. Which...why even bother keeping that secret? It's not even sinister, just dumb. Maybe he just plain forgot? That would be slightly less dumb.

Anyway, Ruby's plan in light of this is for RWBY+QO to get off the train - more precisely, to empty the rear cars and cut 'em loose. Which, fine, no more Grimm attacking the train, but are y'all prepped for an unanticipated trek across empty snowed-in forestland? Eh, there aren't any better ideas forthcoming. So they do it, and we get the big showdown with the manticores. The animators are still struggling with group scenes, but the one-on-one work is only a little stiff. The alpha manticore, though...honestly, it just stands still and lets the team kill it. Not exactly riveting stuff.

It does manage to blow up the tracks ahead, though. The derailment sequence is kind of hilarious in its disregard for physics.

Aaaand our heroes meet Nana Goggles. (No, not Maria - Nana Goggles.) Who I'm going to claim is the person who snuck in through the open service entrance Qrow called out, back at the station. She sounds about 50 years younger than she looks, but hey. Cut to OP.

All in all? Better than expected. The action sequence wasn't empty, just oddly timed. The departure of side characters from last volume was mercifully brief. The plot might stay focused in one place long enough to go somewhere. Ruby is taking initiative. All good signs.

30. - Top - End - #870

God what a response.

Do they really lose that much money from having even some of the views syphoned from the site to their youtube mirror? Really? It's not hard work to upload a thing to youtube, if it's not your main source of monetization you don't have to put any effort into it so just upload the videos. It's not that hard.

A thing I want to point out from this statement is; "We are unable to make money on videos for reasons beyond our control, and we want to stay true to what RWBY and our other shows should be."

So for them RWBY is about making money, and if they can't make money with it they won't bother. That's what this says. That's almost certainly not what he meant mind you, but it makes me wonder.

Anyway this is all just **** flinging on my part, I'm just mad because the week long divide means basically no one gives a **** what I have to say, lessening my desire to watch it even more. I'll still do it though, since my not getting a personal satisfaction out of it doesn't mean I won't give others what they want. For the most part, I aint no slave. But still