New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1483
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

YouTube is an AI conspiracy designed to destroy humanity by not letting the Nostalgia Critic make money anymore. The AI is hostile and refuses to communicate with its own creators. It's also a deity with incomprehensible methods of operation. YouTube is literally alive, conscious, and has an anti-viewer agenda.

Yeah, okay. You guys are off the rails in such an intense way, you've somehow improved the quality of rye bread in Denmark.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Colossus in the Playground

As someone who, ahem, actually posts stuff to youtube.

It's ****ty and has bad copyright checking bots. It does demonitize you if you swear a bunch. It sucks and is bad because Youtube is run by a bunch of dumbasses.

It is not some mega conspiracy. Roosterteeth literally said they don't upload to Youtube because it's too difficult. They don't have anyone to do it and they just decided "eh **** it" and stopped doing it. I personally believe part of it does come from the fact that their show is now only available on pay sites, because RT remembered that they have a loyal fanbase and they need money.

Like Taffy said, though in not so harsh a tone; The Algorithm is not that complex, and is manipulable, but RT genuinely don't feel like the sort of people smart enough to do so. I'm going to take them at their word and actions.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-07-12 at 12:20 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post

It's ****ty and has bad copyright checking bots. It does demonitize you if you swear a bunch. It sucks and is bad because Youtube is run by a bunch of dumbasses.

It is not some mega conspiracy. Roosterteeth literally said they don't upload to Youtube because it's too difficult. They don't have anyone to do it and they just decided "eh **** it" and stopped doing it. I personally believe part of it does come from the fact that their show is now only available on pay sites, because RT remembered that they have a loyal fanbase and they need money.

Like Taffy said, though in not so harsh a tone; The Algorithm is not that complex, and is manipulable, but RT genuinely don't feel like the sort of people smart enough to do so. I'm going to take them at their word and actions.
    Okay, if you say so, though as someone who watches a lot of youtube, your videos are videogames which are safer to a degree, lets plays are inherently more transformative and you do a lot of nintendo stuff which are safe games that people like Chuggaconroy do. there is differences between videogame and anime stuff there.

I'm just laughing at the idea that Nostalgia Critic represents anyone but himself after the Channel Awesome mass exodus and the caustic critic trope seeming to become old hat as it gives way to more even-handed reviewers or light-hearted parodies.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2019-07-12 at 12:31 AM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

4. - Top - End - #1294

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Okay, if you say so, though as someone who watches a lot of youtube, your videos are videogames which are safer to a degree, lets plays are inherently more transformative and you do a lot of nintendo stuff which are safe games that people like Chuggaconroy do. there is differences between videogame and anime stuff there.

I'm just laughing at the idea that Nostalgia Critic represents anyone but himself after the Channel Awesome mass exodus and the caustic critic trope seeming to become old hat as it gives way to more even-handed reviewers or light-hearted parodies.
    Not saying you're wrong Raziere, but you are a little wrong here. You can't monetize Nintendo stuff anymore basically at all, though they are getting better. It's complicated. There's a reason we're all on Patreon too.

He only brought that up because a lot of the people vaguely formerly associated with it brought up the quote-unquote Ad-Pocolypse, and he's using that degree of kinda silly over-blowing the problem (it is a bad problem, but giving it a catchy nickname makes it feel a little larger than it actually is) as a way to diminish your entire point.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-07-12 at 12:35 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Titan in the Playground

Not saying you're wrong Raziere, but you are a little wrong here. You can't monetize Nintendo stuff anymore basically at all, though they are getting better. It's complicated. There's a reason we're all on Patreon too.

He only brought that up because a lot of the people vaguely formerly associated with it brought up the quote-unquote Ad-Pocolypse, and he's using that degree of kinda silly over-blowing the problem (it is a bad problem, but giving it a catchy nickname makes it feel a little larger than it actually is) as a way to diminish your entire point.
    Thats fair. Nintendo is basically Japanese Videogame Disney after all.

Hey if I need to prove my point I got youtubers with videos on my point for days. I can fish them up if I really want to get this going. (possibly in another thread more suited to it? though I'd prefer not get this discussion going it its controversial, that tends to lead to....heated emotions at least from myself. got to know my limits.)

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Ogre in the Playground

Somehow, Chugga's videos are still monetized despite exclusively playing Nintendo games, but he's pretty much the only gaming channel I've seen that's accomplished that. I honestly have no idea how I'm seeing ads before all his videos. It makes me glad, though, that he's still getting paid for this. I don't believe he even has a Patreon.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Taffy View Post
    conspiracy
    What.

designed to destroy humanity
    What.

Nostalgia Critic
    What.

The AI is hostile and refuses to communicate with its own creators.
    What.

YouTube is literally alive, conscious, and has an anti-viewer agenda.
    What.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Troll in the Playground

When RT says “its too difficult” to upload to YouTube, I don’t think they mean that they don’t have anyone in their studio that now has dozens of employees that can figure out how to upload a video anymore.

If the algorithm wasn’t complex, someone would have reversed engineered it. For example, “x” number of profanities and you are demonized. Instead, its something like a 7 factor test that includes things like the strength of the profanity, where in the video it is placed (explicitly, profanity right in the beginning or in the title will get a ban), and maybe affected by things like what sort of content the video has otherwise, the popularity of the video and the author, and what goes on in the comments.

That’s just profanity. Then there’s the question of whether you violated copyright which probably has many of the same or similar tests, but also some different ones (perhaps, for example, uploading enough high quality animation is enough to get flagged for copyright).

I think they absolutely throw heightened scrutiny against smaller authors and less popular channels and videos. Also, there may be a buildup effect, if they demonitized you before they may be more likely to do so again.

You can find people talking about the various factors, but how YouTube reduces that into a formula that gets implemented through their bots (supplemented with actual humans) isn’t something you will be able to express in an algorithm.
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2019-07-12 at 02:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oh, I just sorta picked a name at random, there.

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I just sorta picked a name at random, there.
    I believe you. thats why its funny.

11. - Top - End - #1301

Oh hey the first RWBY book is out, if you guys care about that. Called "After The Fall" and you can find it In No Place At All, until the 17th.

It confirms that Ruby made her outfit herself, which is both really believable because it's just... you know. That. But also unbelievable because there is no way in hell that girl knows how to sew.

The writing is also extremely bad.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-07-15 at 02:47 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh boy. My fan-fiction from ten years ago is better than that, and it was so bad that I have intentionally forgotten how to find it again.

13. - Top - End - #1303

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Oh boy. My fan-fiction from ten years ago is better than that, and it was so bad that I have intentionally forgotten how to find it again.
    It's written like this the whole way through from what I've seen. It's um, disconcerting. More so since the source I got them from was like "hell yeah this is the best ever I love it" and it made me both feel bad and know that when my book does get published I'm going to be very powerful indeed.

I lost track of my train of thought but you get what I mean. After The Fall is primarily a CFVY book with some light smattering of RWBY also being there.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-07-15 at 03:32 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Troll in the Playground

It's written like this the whole way through from what I've seen. It's um, disconcerting. More so since the source I got them from was like "hell yeah this is the best ever I love it" and it made me both feel bad and know that when my book does get published I'm going to be very powerful indeed.

I lost track of my train of thought but you get what I mean. After The Fall is primarily a CFVY book with some light smattering of RWBY also being there.
    At first I thought it was a coffee-table book you made a pun, but no, its actually about Team CFVY at Shade Academy in Vacuo, a place we may or may not see in like Season 9.

We should do a let's read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

15. - Top - End - #1305

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    At first I thought it was a coffee-table book you made a pun, but no, its actually about Team CFVY at Shade Academy in Vacuo, a place we may or may not see in like Season 9.

We should do a let's read.
    I should but I don't want to buy it, especially not for at least another two days because For Some Reason it's not available anywhere until the 18th cough cough.

I am genuinely unsure if I have the time to do one though. Between videos and trying to live a more active life and editing my own damn book and accidentally sinking myself into the MMO hole with FFXIV, I've actually got a surprising amount of stuff going on. I'm not sure I have the time to do a chapter by chapter read through of a book maybe. We'll see though, I might pick it up this weekend and... less "let's read" and more "here is my stream of conciousness while reading" that I've done with other books I've read towards my friends (which usually ends up being almost as long as the book is word wise...)

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Ettin in the Playground

and accidentally sinking myself into the MMO hole with FFXIV,
    Oh No!

May the force be with you, and your MMORPG.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

17. - Top - End - #1307

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Oh No!

May the force be with you, and your MMORPG.
    Spoilers it's good!

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Titan in the Playground

Spoilers it's good!
    I've been thinking of trying that one at least for a free trial to see if I should keep it in mind for when I can sustain an MMO subscription again, I'll see for myself what its about one of these days.

19. - Top - End - #1309

I've been thinking of trying that one at least for a free trial to see if I should keep it in mind for when I can sustain an MMO subscription again, I'll see for myself what its about one of these days.
    The free trial is not time limited, and lets you play up to level 35. You can play as long as you want, then buy the game if you want to continue.

Price wise, if you decide to upgrade, it may be better to buy the base game if you can find it super cheap, then upgrade later.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

20. - Top - End - #1310

Oh hey the first RWBY book is out, if you guys care about that. Called "After The Fall" and you can find it In No Place At All, until the 17th.

It confirms that Ruby made her outfit herself, which is both really believable because it's just... you know. That. But also unbelievable because there is no way in hell that girl knows how to sew.

The writing is also extremely bad.

...I feel significantly less anxious about the quality of my fanfiction now.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #1311

The only other thing I've retained from my brief rubbing up against someone who read the book is that at one point CFVY kill and eat Grimm crabs. Which isn't... a thing you can do.

And the food is called "crab steak" so even if you could eat Grimm it's wrong because that's not physically possible to have, you cannot have crab steak what the **** is wrong with you?!?

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    ...I feel significantly less anxious about the quality of my fanfiction now.
    me too. I think at the basic level of storytelling, the story just has to make some basic level of sense to most people who are casual about it, all the prose and descriptions can be added on to enhance it. its amazing how many works don't understand that.

The free trial is not time limited, and lets you play up to level 35. You can play as long as you want, then buy the game if you want to continue.

Price wise, if you decide to upgrade, it may be better to buy the base game if you can find it super cheap, then upgrade later.
    Cool. thats 15 more levels than WoW. that already sounds like a good deal.

as for RWBY, I guess I'll catch up to it at some point. keep track of YangXBlake and Weiss who I relate to in her family troubles if nothing else.

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoilers it's good!
    I heard it took a year or two to get there, to get good for it was bad at the release. God that was way back 2010 or so? A friend was running it on Radeon HD6870s and FFXIV and eyefinity 3 monitor set ups were the latest new thing back then.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

24. - Top - End - #1314

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    I heard it took a year or two to get there, to get good for it was bad at the release. God that was way back 2010 or so? A friend was running it on Radeon HD6870s and FFXIV and eyefinity 3 monitor set ups were the latest new thing back then.
    Technically it was back at 2009, and that was so bad they remade the entire game pretty much. That was an Alright game, and it's only improved from there.

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Ogre in the Playground

The only other thing I've retained from my brief rubbing up against someone who read the book is that at one point CFVY kill and eat Grimm crabs. Which isn't... a thing you can do.

And the food is called "crab steak" so even if you could eat Grimm it's wrong because that's not physically possible to have, you cannot have crab steak what the **** is wrong with you?!?
    Steak, at it's most basic, is just a slab of muscle. Heck, the term is used so liberally that Mushroom steak is a thing that exists. So, crab steak is certainly possible (I think I may have even seen it once). It's just not very common because when people decide to eat straight crab, they typically just go for whole legs.

Of course, Team CFVY eating Grimm crabs is ridiculous. Not only is it an explicit contradiction of established Grimm biology, but why would anyone with an ounce of common sense ever eat the body of a literally soulless shadow monster? That sounds like how you get some sort of body decaying sickness.

This also tells me that this book is likely not made by the actual writing staff and is, more likely, some sort of ascended fan-fiction. That would also explain the quality and the focus on CFVY.

26. - Top - End - #1316

Steak, at it's most basic, is just a slab of muscle. Heck, the term is used so liberally that Mushroom steak is a thing that exists. So, crab steak is certainly possible (I think I may have even seen it once). It's just not very common because when people decide to eat straight crab, they typically just go for whole legs.

Of course, Team CFVY eating Grimm crabs is ridiculous. Not only is it an explicit contradiction of established Grimm biology, but why would anyone with an ounce of common sense ever eat the body of a literally soulless shadow monster? That sounds like how you get some sort of body decaying sickness.

This also tells me that this book is likely not made by the actual writing staff and is, more likely, some sort of ascended fan-fiction. That would also explain the quality and the focus on CFVY.
    It's made by an author they commissioned and not just blessed fan-fiction, but you're not wrong it's not by one of their staff. RT still approved the book though!

While your point is true on mushroom steak, the consistency and way crab meat like... functions, as meat, wouldn't work for a cut of steak. Crab meat isn't able to BE like how you would imagine a steak.

27. - Top - End - #1317

So... you're saying it's a misteak?

28. - Top - End - #1318

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    So... you're saying it's a misteak?
    I'm giving you a thumbs up and nodding approvingly but my expression is one of malice. Good job Rawhide.

(I do mean that seriously this is a good pun, but it hurts so much)
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-07-17 at 07:52 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Ogre in the Playground

It's made by an author they commissioned and not just blessed fan-fiction, but you're not wrong it's not by one of their staff. RT still approved the book though!

While your point is true on mushroom steak, the consistency and way crab meat like... functions, as meat, wouldn't work for a cut of steak. Crab meat isn't able to BE like how you would imagine a steak.
    That doesn't mean it's not still fan-fiction. Most of the Star Wars Expanded Universe books are, effectively, just fan-fiction despite also being specifically commissioned and given the Lucas seal of approval. I mean, when you have a story where Boba Fett has a lightsaber duel with Darth Vader, you're clearly in fan-fic territory.

30. - Top - End - #1320

That doesn't mean it's not still fan-fiction. Most of the Star Wars Expanded Universe books are, effectively, just fan-fiction despite also being specifically commissioned and given the Lucas seal of approval. I mean, when you have a story where Boba Fett has a lightsaber duel with Darth Vader, you're clearly in fan-fic territory.
    That's a valid point. I just feel like there's a distinction between officially produced material and "a fan made this for zero monies".