New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Impact Ares: Shadows of Prometheus

Your first mistake was letting the DR capture you. They rarely let you make a second mistake.

It was three weeks ago that you were thrown roughly into one of Prosperity Dome’s many cramped prison cells and cut off from the outside world. However, today promises to bring a little excitement into the monotony of solitary confinement, a little change. For today is the day of your execution.

What are you going to do about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Helanna View Post
    This. This is the best thing that has ever happened in all 34 threads, ever. This has made every single second spent on Dominic Deegan not wasted time. Every time I stayed up to see the sneaky gate, every rage-filled post I've ever made, every time Mookie's writing has caused me physical pain - so, so worth it.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Impact Ares: Shadows of Prometheus

!

I complain politely to the most amicable guard (if any) that I was doing my duty as a soldier for a government that no longer exists and that I as one of the foremost prodigy of child espers would make excellent materiel for the Divine Republic's research or army. "Would you please, please let me speak to one of your superiors? *fawn*
    Spoiler
    Show
    (she's quite cute with slightly poofy red chins that annoy her and with the looks of a 12-14 year old, brownish, whisplish hair (Rosalyn [Okage]), red eyes. very present)

If this fails I immediately sit down next to the wall and look out silently at the outside and at the personnel guarding us.

Otherwise I ignore the scum and filth of humans overcrowding my space.
    Last edited by Moechi_Vill; 2007-08-19 at 12:36 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I look around for a set of keys or the like. Are there any visible? Do I know if the guard has a set? Or is it thumbprint/retina locks?

Shane Tokai
    Spoiler
    Show

Crunch:
    Spoiler
    Show

Name: Shane Tokai

Shane has:
    Stats:
    Strength: Poor (-2)
    Dexterity: Great (+2)
    Constitution: Poor (-2)
    Intelligence: Great (+2)
    Wisdom: Great (+2)
    Charisma: Good (+1)

3 pts
    +/- allowed

Skills [44]:

All skills start at Poor (1 point for Mediocre, 2 for Fair etc).

Mentally, Shane is…

Fair at Making Friends +0 (2) + 1 CHA
    Fair at Influencing people +0 (2) + 1 CHA
    Good at Puzzles +1 (3) + 2 INT
    Fair at Geometry Thriving in the desert +0 (2) + 2 INT
    Fair at History +0 (2) + 2 INT

Physically, Shane is…

Fair at Acrobatics + 0 (2) + DEX
    Good at Tai Chi + 1 (3) + DEX
    Good at Hand-Eye Coordination + 1 (3) + DEX
    Fair at Sneaking + 0 (2) + DEX

In a PT, Shane is…

Fair at Melee physically abusing his enemies +0 (2)
    Fair at Shooting targetting important components + 0 (2) + ?
    Great at Dodging getting his mech out of harm's way + 2 (4) + ?
    Great at Piloting being highly coordinated while in a mech + 2 (4) + ?

Esper:
    Great at Telepathy : Great +2 (4) + 2 WIS
    Great at Telekinesis: Great +2 (4) + 2 WIS
    Good at Precognition : Good +1 (3) + 2 WIS

Background:
    Spoiler
    Show

The world came alive again, blackness disappearing in a rapid blinks and some short rubs of his eyeballs with his hands. Cold hard metal embraced his pounding temple, washing away some of the pain, frustration and humiliation.

Shane was leaned upright against the side of the cell when he came to, harsh overhead lights a rude wake up call, followed by the even harsher sight of the bars keeping him penned in.

As he explored the small space he was in, his stomach growled loudly, his hunger making him wish for some of his mother's home-cooked meals. He'd never known they'd done without in that little camp in the wilderness. It was where he'd grown up, and the best that the camp had was the best he'd ever known existed.

So naive, back then. He still had a fondness for the desert in his heart, though; a place where, if you knew how, you could survive, even thrive. The blood that coursed through Shane was a mixture of english, arabian and japanese descent. Always filled with a desire to explore, a love of the shifting sands of the desert, and a drive to succeed unparalleled by any other, Shane's curiosity had gotten him into a great deal of trouble as a kid.

"Hell, it's gotten me into a lot of trouble as a young adult, too," he thought as he glanced around the interior of the cell once more.

Back then, though, he'd been so very happy. Between his father's teachings on self-defence and how to hunt, and his mother's people showing them the secrets of the desert, and despite the more formal lessons in language and math, he still couldn't think of anything better in his life.

"Kind of sad, when you reach your peak at age seven," he thought to himself quietly.

His natural ability to make friends and get them to do what he wanted had made him the ringleader of the children around the camp. He'd used his father's teachings on stealth to raise havoc, playing pranks and stealing snacks for himself and the other kids. He'd earned more than a few spankings in his time.

"Guess I'm in for more than a spanking this time, though," came the pessimistic thought, almost ruining Shane's reminiscing.

It wasn't until he had turned 13 that he'd shown that he was any different from the rest of the boys. He'd known the DR troops were coming, just minutes before they'd shown up, but those minutes were all his people had needed to get packed up and hidden.

The PTs had strolled through the junk left behind by the nomads, and he could hear the frustated comments between the pilots...even though they weren't being said out loud, and he wasn't anywhere near a radio.

It was that day that he'd first coughed up blood. He'd been frightened and terrified then, not knowing what was going on, but over the years, he'd figured it out.

He was a natural esper, a very powerful one...but flawed nonetheless. Whenever he used his abilities, his body turned against itself, unable to withstand the unnatural currents of power he wielded to get the needed effects. In time, his body had adapted, and withstood the torsion caused by his psychic capabilities much better than it had when he was younger...now he only started to bleed if he pushed himself too much...but the damage had already been done.

Years of avoiding PT patrols by bare minutes because of Shane's powers had taken their toll. His young body hade wilted away under the pressure, leaving him physically weaker and less resilient than before.

"I've often wondered how many years I've carved off my life by using my abilities...but I guess it doesn't matter now," he thinks, dragged inexorably back to the here and now of the cold, stark cell.

Shane's abilities had finally failed his tribe one dark night in the desert. Shane had passed out from using his abilities too much earlier in the day, and his people had settled down at a nearby oasis to make sure the 15 year old would be alright. The DR troopers had swept in off the dunes, running a simple check of all the known local watering holes.

His people had been massacred. His father had been killed, trying to fight. Shane woke up the next day under the ruins of a tent, his mother's body blackened almost to ash right outside the front flap.

Shane had been devastated, but knew the desert was a harsh mistress. He wandered for a time, until he came upon a group of bandit raiders. Eventually, with his natural charisma, he wormed his way inside, and was soon placed in a PT of his own. For two years he'd conducted operations with the bandits, becoming a fair pilot in his own right.

Shane had relished every single chance to strike back at the DR, perhaps a little too much. He had stayed late in the last raid, desperate to destroy one more DR PT, one more bad memory.

Instead, he'd been caught by the arriving reinforcements as the rest of his band fled, outnumbered and out-gunned. Even so, he'd still managed to take down three more before they'd finally legged his PT and made it unable to move.

When they'd finally gotten him out, they'd beaten him repeatedly, all the way back to the cell he was in now.

"Well, no use sitting around here," Shane thinks to himself. "Got to start working on getting the hell out of here,"

Last edited by ravenkith; 2007-08-19 at 11:53 AM.
    Three things to remember about D&D:
    1. Always go right. It's right, after all.
    2. If it's not a party member, it's just XP.
    3. D&D is the only game where you really can kill first and ask questions later.

4. - Top - End - #4

The solitary guard ignores the girl's pleading with typical DR discipline. The only visible set of keys are hung on his belt, and he shows no inclination to give them up.
    This. This is the best thing that has ever happened in all 34 threads, ever. This has made every single second spent on Dominic Deegan not wasted time. Every time I stayed up to see the sneaky gate, every rage-filled post I've ever made, every time Mookie's writing has caused me physical pain - so, so worth it.

5. - Top - End - #5

AssassinGuy

I telekinetically choke the guard into unconsciousness (I think I can do that, right?), which should keep him quiet while simultaneously rendering him a non-threat.
    3. D&D is the only game where you really can kill first and ask questions later.

6. - Top - End - #6

Voiree looked at Shane again, knowing his power through her well-developed psychoawareness. It had been three weeks in this cell and she had sensed him like a mega-watt bulb dangling uncomfortably from the flaking ceiling. Moving over carefully through the cramped dungeon to sit down next beside him she chose to touch his arm, inching her hand down to hold his -
    and abruptly questioning him
    "Will they weed us out at the end or is it time to save ourselves?" she thinks to him in a murmur.

---

<"The hell?"> not halfways sat down yet. He had made a choice. Misallo immediately reinforces his attempt to disable the sentry.
    Last edited by Moechi_Vill; 2007-08-19 at 09:20 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Precognition (3d6+5)[22] (Should have been 20.) Before taking more direct action to help Shane: Is this a terrible or a good idea?
    Telekinesis (3d6+5)[15] Aid Shane in an attempt to stop whatever way the guard tries to alert anyone else of the situation while being strangulated (grab a comm. unit, move vocal chords, push a button, etc.) .
    Last edited by Moechi_Vill; 2007-08-23 at 01:35 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

AssassinGuy

"I refuse to die here," Shane says quietly. "One lone guard will not be enough to see me to my death!" he continues as he chokes the man until he passes out.

"There'll be a camera," he thinks to himself. "But maybe we can get out and get our hands on a weapon before his reinforcements can get here."
    Last edited by ravenkith; 2007-08-19 at 01:23 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

<"Tell me next time!"> she looks at him with consternation, mentally flicking through the probability of cameras at reading his thoughts. Her next and most immediate move will be to attempt to undo the sentry's keys from his belt and flip them over to Shane while still retaining her focus on discouraging any alarm being sounded.
    Telekinesis (3d6+5)[13]
    <We are underneath a dome. Someone from our cell-block with urban contacts out domeside.> Voiree scans the room for any likely candidates.
    Last edited by Moechi_Vill; 2007-08-19 at 09:21 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

AssassinGuy

Telekinesis:
    (3d6+4)[15]

OOC: Although, if I can move an entire mech with my brain power, being able to crush someone's trachea shouldn't even be a roll, right?
    Last edited by ravenkith; 2007-08-19 at 01:47 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

((OOC: Correct, it is not that simple. Without a T-Link System to focus your powers they are only viable on a human scale. Do not overestimate your abilities))

The telekinetic assault swiftly throttles the guard into unconciousness before he can sound the alarm, his communicator bouncing from his hand to Voiree's in one swift motion. In her mind she briefly hears an older man congratulating her, but the vision quickly passes.

12. - Top - End - #12

Misallo uses telekinesis to pass the weapons and keys to Shane.
    Last edited by Moechi_Vill; 2007-08-21 at 01:44 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

(Why haven't new posts been showing up in my Control Panel? Bloody vBulletin.)

One of the prisoners in the back of the cell remains quiet through the whole ordeal. A thin man, probably quite tall when he's not slouched in the back of a prison cell. After the telekinetic assault, he laughs softly and speaks aloud. "Impressive, little Hopes." He stands up, as suspected, to a height of slightly over six feet, and stretches lazily, as if he had just awoken from a nap. The state of his short black hair reinforces the image. "Other divinities will be coming soon. Like a leaf on the wind, we must blow this joint. You are a doppel of Gangers, yes? We will escape together."
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2007-08-19 at 08:20 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

14. - Top - End - #14

*nods*
    weird p*rson

Voiree ceases paying attention to the rest soon and reaches out to tap the man's hip lightly with her left index finger, looking up at him steadily as if something.

Alternatively and later if noone will do her messy work for her then she will rip out the sentry's throat with her nails.
    Last edited by Moechi_Vill; 2007-08-23 at 11:56 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

AssassinGuy

Shane quickly takes the keys and opens the cell door.

"Last train's a leavin', boys" he says, as he bends down and appropriates the guard's weapons.

He then looks around the area he finds himself in, searching for a way out.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

The thin man walks nimbly toward Shane and the door, pausing to speak to Voiree. "No need to disassemble the cog, little Hope. You'll get him everywhere. If you want him to keep lying down, just snap his neck."
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

Voiree looks at her bloodied hands, the man talking to her. Deciding it'll take too much time she quickly follows him up to a step between him and Shane.

18. - Top - End - #18

Shane finds himself in possession of a small pistol-esque weapon, the only one he could find on the body of the guard. It looks to be electric; a stun weapon, perhaps? An unusual design, in any case.

There appears to be only one way out of the cell block; a single locked door opposite their previous home. However, with the keys in your possession the lock would probably be less than an obstacle.

19. - Top - End - #19

AssassinGuy

"Alright, if you're coming, let's go," Shane says, holding the weapon down by his leg, pointed at the ground, and making for the door quickly, but quietly. If there's a window, he'll look through it. If not, he'll unlock the door and peek out, again, quickly and quietly.

20. - Top - End - #20

Peeking through the door, Shane sees that it leads out into a wide circular courtyard. His attention is drawn, however, to the dozen or so DR soldiers hanging around the area, chatting and relaxing. This is either a recreation area or a very informal ambush. Other doors are dotted around the circumference of the yard, but there is little cover to be had in the area.

21. - Top - End - #21

AssassinGuy

Shane quickly motions for the others to stop, and doubles back to the unconscious (dead?) guard. Looking at the size of the guard's uniform, he compares it to himself and the other prisoners to see who might make the best fit.

He also looks around for any handcuffs that might be found, and begins stripping his former victim.

"We can't go out that way without some kind of disguise, some kind of cover. There's a dozen off-duty guards out there. I'm thinking we pose as a guard accompanying two prisoners,"

He looks around.

"The girl can't be the guard, so it's down to you and me pal, and that'll be decided by whom the uniform fits better," he shrugs.

"I don't know either of you from adam, but since you're in here, I have to imagine none of us are very popular with the DR, and it would be in our best interests to work together to get the hell out of here."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

"Adam? I'm no angel. Aaron is my name." Aaron looks over the prone guard. "Smaller than me. I think you should. You move more like a soldier anyway."
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

AssassinGuy

"Alright. Help me find some cuffs for you two," he says, starting to get changed into the uniform. "Then we can get out of here,"

24. - Top - End - #24

The guard's belt yields a single pair of metal cuffs, which fit to one of the keys on the key-ring. The pockets of the pilfered uniform also contain an ID card, registered to George Girder, and there is a lone bucket in the corner of the room. Beyond that, there are no further resources to exploit.

25. - Top - End - #25

AssassinGuy

"Hey, girl! Grab that bucket," he looks at the big guy. "You need to put these on," he says, tossing the cuffs to the larger guy. "Behind your back if you don't mind," he adds, as he shrugs into the uniform.

"If the fecal matter hits the rotary impeller, don't do anything, unless I say , I don't know, rosebuds, or something. I'll try and talk us out of here, but there's no telling what'll happen when we get out there,"

He straightens up and fixes the collar on the shirt, and draws the pistol from the holster, covering the other two with it. "Both of you in front, big guy first. Don't say anything,"

"Any of you remember which way you came in? I was unconscious when they dragged me in here. Mainly I'm just trying to figure out which way to go when we get out there..." he asks.
    Last edited by ravenkith; 2007-08-20 at 02:46 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Aaron quietly takes the handcuffs, cufffs them in front of him, and steps over them with each foot to put them behind his back. "Good to know," he says to no one in particular. He then moves to the door and waits for the girl before moving out.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

Voiree follows the orders complacently but with some hatred in her eyes at the sight of the bucket.
    Locking her hands behind her back felt like a horrible idea but what could she do with them anyway.. She follows the Big Leaf.

28. - Top - End - #28

Not wanting to leave an eventual alarm behind Voiree uses her telekinesis to snap the man's neck before putting on the cuffs.

(3d6+6)[19] (that should be an 18)
    Last edited by Moechi_Vill; 2007-08-21 at 06:39 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

((OOC: There is only one pair of cuffs; Voiree doesn't have any. She just has a bucket.))

30. - Top - End - #30

AssassinGuy

"Watch the door," he says to the big guy, before walking back over to where the girl is busy snapping the man's neck, and then standing confused at the lack of cuffs for her.

"Hey, don't look at me," Shane says, looking at the girl. "I'd much rather have two pairs of handcuffs," he adds apologetically, "But it looks like the bucket is all we've got,"

He looks around the cell block once more, checking for anything he might have missed.

"We've got to go. You, girl, try to keep the 'prisoner' between you and the guards as much as possible. Hold the bucket in both hands, like it's heavy, and you're just carrying something for me so I can keep both of you covered. Hey, big guy!" he calls out as he approaches the door, trying to get the man's attention.

When the big man turns to face him, Shane busts him in the nose with the butt of the pistol, breaking the cartilage and causing blood to rush out.

"Sorry man, I didn't want to hurt you, but we need to have some reason to leave the cell block, and a medical emergency is the surest way," he grins. "For some reason all dictators seem to want their prisoners nice and healthy before they go to the gallows..."

He looks at the door.

"Now listen," he says, suddenly very serious. "The four best words to get rid of off-duty soldiers are "Looking for a volunteer'," he says.

"Soldiers are hard wired with the belief that volunteeering for anything is bad. We're going to go out there, and I'm going to call out and ask for a volunteer to help me get you to the medbay," he shakes his head.

"That should get rid of most of them pretty quick; they'll disperse, trying to avoid any extra work, or getting dragooned into any, because after volunteers have been asked for and not found, the next step is drafting someone,"

"If we're lucky, they'll all split. If not...we may end with one or two that stay behind," he stops for a second.

"Worst case scenario, we end up having to fight them all, and that's nothing more than what we've got right now. Oh and, girl, you'll be using the bucket to catch his blood, " he says, thumbing in the direction of the big guy.

"What do you think?" he asks, looking at his compatriots, and wincing at the swelling of the big guy's nose as he gets a better look at it.
    Last edited by ravenkith; 2007-08-21 at 09:24 AM.