New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Teleportation tech should make resource gathering easier. Copy food matter as a template while it's disassembled and then duplicate it, essentially creating a replicator. The only limitation is energy, though it doesn't seem like they're hurting in that area?
    There is a replicator in Nuka World.
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I've never had issues with NV crashing. Guess I'm just lucky on that front. For combat, I don't really think Fallout 4 was that much better than NV. It's all basically shooting oversized bullet sponge enemies while they stand completely still and don't react.
    Trust me, the combat engine for FO4 is MASSIVELY better than F:NV. Shoot something in FO4, even if it is a bullet sponge, it'll at least react. It may just get more pissed off, but it'll at least react. Not so much in F:NV. It's also got better iron-sights, better recoil handling... as far as being a shooter goes, it's just plain better. You can change the hit point values of enemies or damage values of weapons so the bullet sponges are less spongey, you can't fix the F:NV combat engine short of breaking it down and making a whole new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

3. - Top - End - #273
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Trust me, the combat engine for FO4 is MASSIVELY better than F:NV. Shoot something in FO4, even if it is a bullet sponge, it'll at least react. It may just get more pissed off, but it'll at least react. Not so much in F:NV. It's also got better iron-sights, better recoil handling... as far as being a shooter goes, it's just plain better. You can change the hit point values of enemies or damage values of weapons so the bullet sponges are less spongey, you can't fix the F:NV combat engine short of breaking it down and making a whole new one.
    They react in the sense that they'll take "cover" and stick their heads out completely in the open while you pump 5 more rounds into it before they move. It's better than NV, but it's still honestly crap. Combat in Fallout is fun because of the context for the violence. The shooting itself is still very sub-par.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

They react in the sense that they'll take "cover" and stick their heads out completely in the open while you pump 5 more rounds into it before they move. It's better than NV, but it's still honestly crap. Combat in Fallout is fun because of the context for the violence. The shooting itself is still very sub-par.
    Meanwhile in Frost...

saw some shacks under the old 128 underpass,
    scoped it out, two sleeping and one standing guard. Figured it would be easy pickings and I was low on food. Shot the guard thinking I could get the sleepers before they figured out what was going on. Big mistake. Two more came out of left field, one in some kind of mechanized military power armor. Caught two bullets as I ran, vision blurring I was still able to get away. Think I'm around the old Lynn woods. Found some shacks with the survivors already dead, seems like a good place to bandage up and get some rest. Getting closer to Salem....
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Firbolg in the Playground

In other news, Gaaaryyyyy!
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

6. - Top - End - #276
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Frost / well that worked out perfectly?
    Show
    I made it to Salem in my searching for wife and child story.
    Turned out the town was full of crazy cultists who were hostile, I kept reading terminals about killing outsiders/purge the world, that sort of nonsense. Right, this was home and I'm reclaiming it from the loonies. A lot of shooting and bodies later it's done and I find a terminal tucked away in the central church with a story in it about these same religious nuts saving a woman and child. Wait, what? All those people I just killed......was my wife one of them? Terminal didn't clarify the woman and childs fate.

The kicker was in the final shooting my sanity finally nosedives and I'm insane by the time I get to the terminal.

I don't think I could have asked for a better set of coincidences. Do I interpret it as the character did kill his wife but cannot face it and convinced himself she's still alive? Without knowing the woman's fate from the terminal is there legitimate hope or is that a delusion? Should all stories involving a woman or child I now come across become twisted in the survivors head to be his family, no matter how implausible?

Frost, completely unintentionally and via coincidence, just sent this story through a major spin.
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Spamalot in the Playground

I've never had issues with NV crashing. Guess I'm just lucky on that front.
    My NV is pretty stable, except for the majority of Lonesome Road. It kept crashing hard there, to the point it was trying to rival Balmas' FO3 crashing on his play through (makes a good drinking game). Dunno what was up with that. Maybe something to do with the weird sky effects that DLC has. All I know for sure is since completing that quest and getting back to the main game, it's only crashed once (and wasn't it's fault that time. Windows thought it was a good idea to try and install an update while I was playing).

Quote Originally Posted by thethird View Post
    There is a replicator in Nuka World.
    Well that just leaves me with more questions.

Do they react to grenades being thrown at them in 4? In 3/NV they shout lines to acknowledge the grenade but I feel that 80% of the time they don't try to run or take cover. The other 20% I think they're just charging at me anyway and only deviate slightly so they're not completely in the blast radius.

I remember the marines in the original Half-Life reacting more consistently... at least I think I'm remembering that right.

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    In other news, Gaaaryyyyy!
    Ohhh boy, that what I think it is?
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

They'll usually run from a grenade.

I definitely would not suggest a Bethesda game crash drinking game. That'd be suicidal.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post

I definitely would not suggest a Bethesda game crash drinking game. That'd be suicidal.
    On par with watching Game of Thrones and taking a shot every time someone says "A Lannister always pays his debts" or "Winter is coming"
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    On par with watching Game of Thrones and taking a shot every time someone says "A Lannister always pays his debts" or "Winter is coming"
    Or any time a pair of bare titties is on screen.

That one'll kill you the fastest I think.

11. - Top - End - #281

Well I was trying it with water, so I only got a little tipsy.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Probably jinxing myself here but....I've never had the game crash on me.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

13. - Top - End - #283
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    Probably jinxing myself here but....I've never had the game crash on me.
    Which game? Fallout 4 is pretty amazingly stable for a Bethsoft product, as is Skyrim Special Edition. The others, not so much.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

I've had a whopping three crashes in Fallout 4. Barring those instances where a mod required an update or the load order messed up. Those are user error and don't count.

Admittedly I now have New Vegas stabilized to a mere 1 crash every three-five hours.
    Last edited by Triaxx; 2018-01-21 at 05:36 AM.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

I noticed something a while back re: Diamond City. If you look up towards the announcer's box (over the entrance) after you enter you'll see little flags demoting past Sox world series wins just like in real life. The last one shown is (iirc) 1916. This means two things. 1) after the fallout / real world divergence the Sox never won a series again. 2) the divergence happened after the Curse of the great Bambino was imposed. So, in the Fallout world the curse hasn't yet been lifted.

The choice for the dates on the flags must have been intentional, so why did they do this? Did a programmer secretly hate the sox? Were they at one point considering a quest involving the curse, or some kind of reference to it?

16. - Top - End - #286
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    I noticed something a while back re: Diamond City. If you look up towards the announcer's box (over the entrance) after you enter you'll see little flags demoting past Sox world series wins just like in real life. The last one shown is (iirc) 1916. This means two things. 1) after the fallout / real world divergence the Sox never won a series again. 2) the divergence happened after the Curse of the great Bambino was imposed. So, in the Fallout world the curse hasn't yet been lifted.

The choice for the dates on the flags must have been intentional, so why did they do this? Did a programmer secretly hate the sox? Were they at one point considering a quest involving the curse, or some kind of reference to it?
    I honestly think sometimes they just forget that Fallout is supposed to happen in the future so they probably only designed the aesthetic to look how it would in the 50s.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

I honestly think sometimes they just forget that Fallout is supposed to happen in the future so they probably only designed the aesthetic to look how it would in the 50s.
    It's not impossible. I decided to go check the history of the green monster to see if it might be any kind of indicator. In the 50s it was tin and concrete, it got it's plastic panels in the 70s. The wall in the game appears to be the plastic panels as far as I can tell but I can't be sure.

Being from MA and having worked most of my professional life in Boston, I'm regularly impressed at how well they did the city and surrounding area. That may be making me more suspicious of the details we're shown.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Ignoring Bethesda's occasionally Callous disregarding of the timeline, divergence seems to date much farther back than we thought, since Old Man Cabot's Oriental Expedition happened in the 1500's, and I suspect someone would have noticed him imprisoned in an asylum since then.

I had to re-record part 18 of New Vegas after discovering it was in the wrong resolution, but the Flamer has still made the battle almost a no-no run so far. Anyone else find a gun you expected to be useless that turned out to be absurdly effective?

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

I think you may be confusing him with the historical explorers, as I understand that the Boston Cabots date back to the 19th Century at the earliest.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

I can only blame being sick transposing numbers. The timeline lists it as 1894, not the 1498 my feverish brain was remembering. Even so, it's earlier on than the listed date for divergence as stated by the wiki.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

I can only blame being sick transposing numbers. The timeline lists it as 1894, not the 1498 my feverish brain was remembering. Even so, it's earlier on than the listed date for divergence as stated by the wiki.
    True but it's such a one-off I don't find it particularly significant, more of a curiosity. I suppose while we're at it we can point to the historical figures in Mothership Zeta.

22. - Top - End - #292

I had to re-record part 18 of New Vegas after discovering it was in the wrong resolution, but the Flamer has still made the battle almost a no-no run so far. Anyone else find a gun you expected to be useless that turned out to be absurdly effective?
    First play through of FO3 I assumed the combat shotgun wouldn't do much to mirelurks cause of their armored shells, but I had one-shot a few of them across a room, including one in the back. Sniping with a shotgun sounds pretty odd to me.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

23. - Top - End - #293
    Firbolg in the Playground

Random Fallout 3 non-sequitur of the day:
    In the Pitt, most of the jobs the slaves are given revolve around collecting scrap metal to feed the foundries. They do this with saws that are specially designed to cut through rebar and metal.
    The doors guarding Uptown are made out of chain-link fence.

Remind me: Why the heck do I have to go through this whole cockamamie scheme of fighting in the pit to get close to Ashur, if Wernher's plan consists of "Get into uptown and steal the kid?"

Then again, the DLC starts with, if you come in anything but the slave outfit, locking you into place while five mooks beat your power-armored butt unconscious. Plot armor is a fact of life.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

I'm honestly surprised to see anyone use anything other than shotguns on Mirelurks.

I'm almost convinced Werhner is just trying to get you killed. But yeah, the Pitt definitely shouldn't be thought about too much.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

Well that just leaves me with more questions.
    It did blow my mind too. In the safari land there is this ghoul scientist who used it to create brahmin (for food) and eventually created the gatorclaws (because reasons) and it is implied that the gatorclaws are all clones (which is sad that once you kill them all there are no more till you create more for SCIENCE!). Still there is a replicator that has explicitly been used to create living beings for food. So yeah...

First play through of FO3 I assumed the combat shotgun wouldn't do much to mirelurks cause of their armored shells, but I had one-shot a few of them across a room, including one in the back. Sniping with a shotgun sounds pretty odd to me.
    This last weekend I found an explosive combat shotgun in FO4. And oh boy. It's a crazy awesome mid range weapon (close range there is too much limb damage). Which doesn't even require good aiming, just point it on the enemy's general direction and good bye.

In FO3/FNV (and FO4 till I got my hands on the explosive combat shotgun) I usually sniped at their faces.
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

With an explosive weapon, it's almost more efficient to shoot their feet than at their bodies. The same reason mines are so stupendously effective against them, with the carapaces being on top I assume.

27. - Top - End - #297

Quote Originally Posted by thethird View Post
    It did blow my mind too. In the safari land there is this ghoul scientist who used it to create brahmin (for food) and eventually created the gatorclaws (because reasons) and it is implied that the gatorclaws are all clones (which is sad that once you kill them all there are no more till you create more for SCIENCE!). Still there is a replicator that has explicitly been used to create living beings for food. So yeah...
    There's no way the Enclave or Brotherhood know about this thing.

With an explosive weapon, it's almost more efficient to shoot their feet than at their bodies. The same reason mines are so stupendously effective against them, with the carapaces being on top I assume.
    Until I get a combat shotgun in FO3 I tend to use landmines. If it don't kill 'em, it'll slow 'em down a good bit.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Hell, if it were me, I'd just nuke the whole Pitt and be done with it entirely. At most, I'd tell all the slaves that if they want to live, they need to leave. Then go on (another) murder-spree, killing off all the damn Mercs, including Wherner, and the boss and his whole family. Then I'd just set a nuke and blow the whole place to hell and gone. Multiple nukes, one in every major facility. Just to make sure there's no surviving equipment to lure people back to that hellhole .
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, because more nuclear radiation is the answer. Do you want Trog Behemoths? Because that's how you get Trog Behemoths.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, because more nuclear radiation is the answer. Do you want Trog Behemoths? Because that's how you get Trog Behemoths.
    As long as the Trog Behemoths stay in what is left of the Pitt as another way of discouraging re-colonization? Absolutely.

Hell, the Brotherhood came in and wiped it clean once, and someone went back and started it back up. I want to be absolutely one hundred and ten percent certain that NO ONE is going to be capable of rebuilding it once I'm done.
    Spoiler
    Show