New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 52 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1531
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Death Battle III Not Even Internally Consistent

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    And he was also shown to be hurt by Wolverine's claws, Spider-man's punches and Captain America's shield bashes. All three heroes also evaded, blocked and/or were-hit-but-survived attacks from Thanos multiple times. Even during the infinity gauntlet saga, actually.
    Goku has had similar things happen to him against weak opponents. Superman as well. You can't infer maximum strength by this sort of thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Colossus in the Playground

For what it's worth, according to the most recent issue of All-New Wolverine, in one possible future, there was an incident where Thanos stepped on Gabby Kinney(Currently Honey Badger, Wolverine in that possible future) and she had to be brought home in jars.

Gabby, being a modified clone of Laura, has the same powers as an adamatiumless Wolverine more or less---Claws, senses, dense bones, absurd healing factor, which may or may not be stronger than most other people with this power package, data is inconclusive.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Goku has had similar things happen to him against weak opponents. Superman as well. You can't infer maximum strength by this sort of thing.
    The difference is that these occurrences are the norm and not the exception. Thanks does not have a history of modelling attacks like that. He feels every hit

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

So does Shazam, Hulk, Thor, etc... But those heroes display their planet/galaxy/whatever-buster powers far more often and are undone by weak opponent much more rarely...OTOH, pretty much every time Thanos meets Captain America, Wolverine or Spider-Man, they dodge and/or block his attacks and then proceed to at very least hurt him.

There'll always be some inconsistency, specially over decades and multiple writers, which is why counting every one-shot feat instead of the most consistent portrayal is dumb.
    Homebrew Stuff:

5. - Top - End - #1025

So does Shazam, Hulk, Thor, etc... But those heroes display their planet/galaxy/whatever-buster powers far more often and are undone by weak opponent much more rarely...OTOH, pretty much every time Thanos meets Captain America, Wolverine or Spider-Man, they dodge and/or block his attacks and then proceed to at very least hurt him.

There'll always be some inconsistency, specially over decades and multiple writers, which is why counting every one-shot feat instead of the most consistent portrayal is dumb.
    Batman dodged darkseids omega beams and he doesnt even have the proportional strength/agility of a spider. Seriously, what kind of beams move slower than 20 mph? Sure they zigzag all over the place so its not exactly a straight line shot, but even so, thats just bizarre.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Batman dodged darkseids omega beams and he doesnt even have the proportional strength/agility of a spider. Seriously, what kind of beams move slower than 20 mph? Sure they zigzag all over the place so its not exactly a straight line shot, but even so, thats just bizarre.
    So... From that, we take that either Batman is super-fast or Darkseid's omega beam are the slowest projectile in the universe...

Or we can go by most consistent portrayal, rather considering every bizarre once-and-done feat that takes place because a writer thought it looked cool but was capable or willing to think what it means... Which is precisely my point.

Also, I now wasted most of my off-day either playing Skull Girls and DBFZ or debating on the internet... A day well spent!
    Homebrew Stuff:

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Ogre in the Playground

So... From that, we take that either Batman is super-fast or Darkseid's omega beam are the slowest projectile in the universe...

Or we can go by most consistent portrayal, rather considering every bizarre once-and-done feat that takes place because a writer thought it looked cool but was capable or willing to think what it means... Which is precisely my point.

Also, I now wasted most of my off-day either playing Skull Girls and DBFZ or debating on the internet... A day well spent!
    There's also how the only time I can even recall Batman dodging the Omega beam is from Justice League Unlimited. Everything was weaker in that show unless you want to use that version of the other characters as well.

8. - Top - End - #1028

Heh, I know, I was kidding and figured I would toss it out there like a squirrel girl grenade and declare darkseid sucks because regular humans can dodge his super scary omega beams. Too be fair, pretty much everyone has blocked those beams at some point. Also been blasted by them in the case of those strong enough to survive. Speaking of bizarre though, in the video I linked where they are all fighting a blind darkseid? In an earlier clip, the one where they blind him in the first place, flash takes a full force punch that smashes him into some electrical gear that explodes all around him and he is fine to, a minute later, take a crowbar and smash it into darksieds eyesocket. Someone want to explain THAT bit of durability? I mean, afaik, unless he is using the speed force to mitigate it, he isnt much more durable than batman right? Its one thing to watch wonder woman take a ground and pound from darkseid, or be flung through a dozen buildings, but Flash?

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Heh, I know, I was kidding and figured I would toss it out there like a squirrel girl grenade and declare darkseid sucks because regular humans can dodge his super scary omega beams. Too be fair, pretty much everyone has blocked those beams at some point. Also been blasted by them in the case of those strong enough to survive. Speaking of bizarre though, in the video I linked where they are all fighting a blind darkseid? In an earlier clip, the one where they blind him in the first place, flash takes a full force punch that smashes him into some electrical gear that explodes all around him and he is fine to, a minute later, take a crowbar and smash it into darksieds eyesocket. Someone want to explain THAT bit of durability? I mean, afaik, unless he is using the speed force to mitigate it, he isnt much more durable than batman right? Its one thing to watch wonder woman take a ground and pound from darkseid, or be flung through a dozen buildings, but Flash?
    The Speed Force does what it wants. Flash's powers are wonderful from a writing perspective that way.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Ogre in the Playground

The movie everyone is discussing is an adaptation of a 2011 Justice League story arc. You can use the film version or the comic it's based on though the events are rather different. Since for one Shazam wasn't in the comic, Instead Aquaman was.

And here's an example form that story of Darkseid's Omega Beams.

In the issue. Both Superman and The Flash are unable to outrun the Beams. They only stay ahead of them for a few seconds. Flash has to vibrate through someone to have them take the hit instead, Supes doesn't fare as well and gets blasted knocking him out.

https://i.imgur.com/ra9c5u9.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/VXMZGrK.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/pKXHAnc.jpg

As for the Crowbar scene. Once again since Aquaman isn't in the film it plays out differently. The comic has the whole blinding thing happen when Wonder Woman uses her enchanted blade of Hephaestus on one eye. and Aquaman uses the Trident of Posiedon on the other eye.

Aka it taking two weapons forged and empowered by the Greek pantheon to harm him. As well as him shrugging off being blinded and healing in almost the next page.

https://i.imgur.com/lNeoh3N.jpg

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Pfff... Wally West would have run circles around those beams! Wally >>>> Barry! (Explicitly and canonically)!
    Homebrew Stuff:

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Ogre in the Playground

Pfff... Wally West would have run circles around those beams! Wally >>>> Barry! (Explicitly and canonically)!
    Seeing as Wally has run at faster than instantaneous teleportation well.

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    Seeing as Wally has run at faster than instantaneous teleportation well.
    Darkseid has also fought on even keel with the Anti monitor.

After the Antimonitor had been devouring the life force of various universes to supercharge himself

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Troll in the Playground

But Darkseid could never hope to reach Thanos in his Thanoscopter.

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post

That's another thing. Thanos is a very tech heavy character. What weapons would we allow him to bring to the table.

Such as when he fought Blackbolt during the "Infinity" mini series he wore special armor that was designed to counter Black Bolt's scream so that he would get the upper hand in the fight.
    Last edited by Devonix; 2018-04-05 at 07:41 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    The Speed Force does what it wants. Flash's powers are wonderful from a writing perspective that way.
    Doesn’t everyone’s powers kinda work that way at some point or another? (I want to twist a powers operation so I can use it for the new plot idea, ok explain it by magenta kryptonite!)

That's another thing. Thanos is a very tech heavy character. What weapons would we allow him to bring to the table.

Such as when he fought Blackbolt during the "Infinity" mini series he wore special armor that was designed to counter Black Bolt's scream so that he would get the upper hand in the fight.
    You know the rules. Participants in Death Battle don’t know who they are fighting ahead of time (unless there’s a reason for them to know within their canon) and so won’t be specifically prepared (unless maybe being always prepared for exactly what comes up is their thing). They will have a loadout of the best stuff they carry under ordinary battle circumstances, not the one-shot or special purpose gear.

Note: they will take dramatic license with what they give to whom for the actual episode as long as it doesn’t affect the outcome.

On that note, I give the Thanoscopter better than even chance of showing up in a Thanos Death Battle.

You know the policy of “go by most consistent portrayal” is actually compatible with policy “include everything official unless it contradicts the canon” depending on how you consider what contradicts canon. On that note, it would be easier if you take what one-shot or lone example you want to discard and what you say it means.

I think the easiest way to deal with Batman dodging an omega beam is that he anticipated it and dodged before it fired. Same thing when he dodges bullets or lasers or something. Batman is an ordinary human...more or less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the easiest way to deal with Batman dodging an omega beam is that he anticipated it and dodged before it fired. Same thing when he dodges bullets or lasers or something. Batman is an ordinary human...more or less.
    Seeing how Batman's only ever dodged the Omega Beams in one thing. Justice League Unlimited. so unless you're using that version of Batman and that version of Darkseid. No. Batman 100 percent can't dodge the Omega Beams.

If Superman can't dodge them, if the flash can barely stay ahead of them when he's running. Then no Batman can't dodge the beams.

18. - Top - End - #1038

Seeing how Batman's only ever dodged the Omega Beams in one thing. Justice League Unlimited. so unless you're using that version of Batman and that version of Darkseid. No. Batman 100 percent can't dodge the Omega Beams.

If Superman can't dodge them, if the flash can barely stay ahead of them when he's running. Then no Batman can't dodge the beams.
    Well we SAY dodge, he just ran long enough to knock a parademon into its path really. But yeah, that was silly

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    And even if Darkseid can reach Thanos, could he survive...

THE INFINITY THANOSHOE????

Also that's why I would personally give the victory to purple titan, since Thanos has shown he can do basically everything by himself from universe conquering to farming while Darkseid often needs to rely on minions.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2018-04-06 at 05:42 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1040

He doesnt need to, its just that thanos is a very much so hands on combatant type of personality. Though not always, just look at the current mcu as an example. How many movies have revolved around him using minions to try to retrieve various infinity gems? Its only now that he is truly coming in person to take care of things. But Darkseid is a god king. He rules his empire and sends his troops to take care of issues. He isnt above getting his hands dirty when the mood strikes him, but he would rather send his vast army of loyal slaves and his most powerful generals to take care of business, because to do otherwise would be against his dignity. At least thats what I got from the JLU cartoons, not sure how many variants there are.

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Ogre in the Playground

"God king" fits Darkseid pretty well, although depending on the version you read it's less of "this job is beneath me" and more "My subjects will not fear/respect me enough if I don't project an impression of absolute power and superiority". Darkseid cares for his minions in his own twisted, evil way. His ultimate goal is figuring out the anti-life equation that would erase all free will from the galaxy so he can rule over all.

But Thanos in the other hand, although he does uses minions now and then, is perfectly fine discarding them and going solo. As shown above one time he just went "I'm too tired for this" and just became a hermit farmer for some time. More often than not he goes solo.

Plus while Darkseid takes weak slave concubines for his wifes, Thanos goes flirt with Death herself! In the original comic that was why he got the infinity gauntlet in the first place, because Death had said something along the lines of "if you want to date me, first kill half the universe", and Thanos did! And even then Thanos got the cold shoulder, so then he used the infinity gauntlet to create the waifu of his dreams, super powerful and completely devoted to him, but even then he kept longing for Deah's love.

Anyway point being, if Thanos and Darkseid find themselves in a solo battle, Thanos would be "business as usual", whereas Darkseid would be "Wait, how does this helps me conquer everything?", and that would mean a probably fatal moment of hesitation from Darkseid, in particular because Thanos isn't known for pulling his punches when he sees a good challenge.

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    "God king" fits Darkseid pretty well, although depending on the version you read it's less of "this job is beneath me" and more "My subjects will not fear/respect me enough if I don't project an impression of absolute power and superiority". Darkseid cares for his minions in his own twisted, evil way. His ultimate goal is figuring out the anti-life equation that would erase all free will from the galaxy so he can rule over all.

But Thanos in the other hand, although he does uses minions now and then, is perfectly fine discarding them and going solo. As shown above one time he just went "I'm too tired for this" and just became a hermit farmer for some time. More often than not he goes solo.

Plus while Darkseid takes weak slave concubines for his wifes, Thanos goes flirt with Death herself! In the original comic that was why he got the infinity gauntlet in the first place, because Death had said something along the lines of "if you want to date me, first kill half the universe", and Thanos did! And even then Thanos got the cold shoulder, so then he used the infinity gauntlet to create the waifu of his dreams, super powerful and completely devoted to him, but even then he kept longing for Deah's love.

Anyway point being, if Thanos and Darkseid find themselves in a solo battle, Thanos would be "business as usual", whereas Darkseid would be "Wait, how does this helps me conquer everything?", and that would mean a probably fatal moment of hesitation from Darkseid, in particular because Thanos isn't known for pulling his punches when he sees a good challenge.
    Neither of these characters really do solo battles though. Thanos never rushes into a fight without a plan. He Hates not having an overly elaborate plan. He always goes to seek wisdom or guidance before ever trying anything big and doesn't ever really go off to do something half cocked.

Thanos is either commanding an army, or on a one man quest that he planned for a good year or two gathering intelligence and resources. That's what makes him interesting.

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanos is either commanding an army, or on a one man quest that he planned for a good year or two gathering intelligence and resources. That's what makes him interesting.
    Heh, in his early days he first went around the galaxy just loving women only to leave them, joined a pirate crew, killed the captain of said pirate crew on a whim, then Death started courting him so he went back to kill all his bastards along the planets they were in for good measure.

Then he had his "first" published adventure where Thanos gets the cosmic cube but discards it on another whim.

Later on he slaughtered the Ovin Mercenary Army just because he was feeling bored at the moment.

Just saying, Thanos is perfectly capable of planning, but sometimes he just goes in killing sprees for love and evulz, plus he must have the record for attaining ultimate power only to get distracted and lose it.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2018-04-06 at 10:01 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Ogre in the Playground

Heh, in his early days he first went around the galaxy just loving women only to leave them, joined a pirate crew, killed the captain of said pirate crew on a whim, then Death started courting him so he went back to kill all his bastards along the planets they were in for good measure.

Then he had his "first" published adventure where Thanos gets the cosmic cube but discards it on another whim.

Just saying, Thanos is perfectly capable of planning, but sometimes he just goes in killing sprees for love and evulz, plus he must have the record for attaining ultimate power only to get distracted and lose it.
    That would be Doom. and the pirate stuff is a recent retcon. Didn't really like it.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Ogre in the Playground

Not much of a retcon when there was no background to retcon really, but either way still canon now.

Also Doom doesn't as much gets distracted but rather outsmarted, followed by swearing vengeance and starts preparing his next plan, while Thanos may decide to try to be a farmer or even a hero for some time. Or go wipe out an army out of boredom. Or kill the silver surfer, then bring him back to life when Death didn't thank him. Or be an underling to some other big bad just to see how it plays out. A titan of many tastes.

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Ogre in the Playground

Not much of a retcon when there was no background to retcon really, but either way still canon now.

Also Doom doesn't as much gets distracted but rather outsmarted, followed by swearing vengeance and starts preparing his next plan, while Thanos may decide to try to be a farmer or even a hero for some time. Or go wipe out an army out of boredom. Or kill the silver surfer, then bring him back to life when Death didn't thank him. Or be an underling to some other big bad just to see how it plays out. A titan of many tastes.
    Ehh not really a fan of a lot of cosmic marvel after Abnet and Planning stopped being in charge. Hated most of the changes to the Marvel cosmic landscape even though I need to accept them.

I'll never forgive them for ruining the Guardians of the Galaxy.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Banned

The problem with Darkseid vs Thanos is they both have terrible moments for the losing side to bring up, like Batman can dodge Darkseid's "undodgeable" omega beams or Thanos getting beaten by squirrels. They both have huge moments too, like the full power Darkseid's Omega power source could destroy 1/5th of an entire universe and Thanos is more powerful than Thor wielding the infinity gem of Power. They also have strawman arguments, like Darksid can, or cannot depending on the depiction, get punched in the face by Superman without immediately dying and Superman did once fly near a black hole, sort like that one time Thanos simply survived an assassination attempt that bombed him with an artificially created black hole that lasted for thirty seconds.

Ok, it's kind of obvious I'm slanted towards Thanos. His base stats are higher, his feats are better, I don't have to deal with Superman fanbois, and the guy ran around with the infinity gems. The guy killed half the Marvel Universe, which is vastly higher scaled than DC's, as a present to his girlfriend. Because he actually has a purpose to the story other than being a JL antagonist.

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mato View Post
    The problem with Darkseid vs Thanos is they both have terrible moments for the losing side to bring up, like Batman can dodge Darkseid's "undodgeable" omega beams or Thanos getting beaten by squirrels. They both have huge moments too, like the full power Darkseid's Omega power source could destroy 1/5th of an entire universe and Thanos is more powerful than Thor wielding the infinity gem of Power. They also have strawman arguments, like Darksid can, or cannot depending on the depiction, get punched in the face by Superman without immediately dying and Superman did once fly near a black hole, sort like that one time Thanos simply survived an assassination attempt that bombed him with an artificially created black hole that lasted for thirty seconds.

Ok, it's kind of obvious I'm slanted towards Thanos. His base stats are higher, his feats are better, I don't have to deal with Superman fanbois, and the guy ran around with the infinity gems. The guy killed half the Marvel Universe, which is vastly higher scaled than DC's, as a present to his girlfriend. Because he actually has a purpose to the story other than being a JL antagonist.
    The big events with Thanos doing that stuff always required a big plan, Big army, or some maguffin.

Darkseid doesn't usually deal with seeking more power to do stuff.

29. - Top - End - #1049

Quote Originally Posted by Mato View Post

Didnt deadpool kill all of the marvel universe once?

30. - Top - End - #1050

Didnt Deadpool kill all of the Marvel universes once?
    That was an AU and that version of Deadpool was eventually killed by the Main Timeline Deadpool.

the only time in the main timeline where someone "beat" the Universe was in "Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe" and that was 1: Actually a Duplicate of Squirrel Girl who... I don't think "evil" is accurate, but she was more concerned with squirrels than people and was significantly less willing to talk things out or compromise.

2: She also did it primarily through trickery and stealing other people's swag--Using Black Cat's infrared and ultraviolet contact lenses to see through Mysterion's Hollograms and Illusions, then stealing that equipment to trick one of the Hobgoblinsinto defeating himself so she could steal some Goblin Gear.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks