New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Crossbreeding Dragons

At this rate we can have a dragon fruit salad. As for about the mercury dragon. I think that brazenburn summed it up pretty well. at first they thought it was a silver dragon at tried to use diplomacy until it turned into a puddle and chased them down and then while they were confused it blasted them with the delirium breath. The delirium breath worked perfectly and gave the party a hell of a fight.
    (edit: also sorry i didn't respond sooner)
    Last edited by Ivor_The_Mad; 2018-04-09 at 07:16 AM.
    Come to the dark side; we have pop-tarts.
    "Is no fun. Is no Blinsky" "He is... FIZBOP THUNDERTOES!!!!!"

Spoiler: The Night of the Living Thread
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DivisibleByZero View Post
    We, as humans, have incisors. Those are made for tearing flesh and meat.
    Meat tastes good.
    If we aren't supposed to eat people, then why are they made of meat?

2. - Top - End - #122

if you take the lime dragon and cross it with a lemon dragon what do you get. Sierra mist? Give me a little while ti figure out how to make a coconut dragon and we can have our own tropical fruit stand.

Show

Meat tastes good.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by the_brazenburn View Post
    Also, I just realized that the colors of dragons in D&D directly correspond to the 5 base colors of mana in MTG. Coincidence? I think not.

This would make the pink dragon Boros, the navy one Dimir, the mud dragon Gruul, ect.
    Before crossbreeding... How about inferring abilities similar to the dragons in MTG (Kagawa... i think)

If blue, an enemy is turned and they join your team
    Black or white (can't remember which) could mean forcing the opponents to miss their turn
    Red is pure damage i think, so you could do hitpoints but take some yourself.

no one cared about green haha.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ivor_The_Mad View Post
    if you take the lime dragon and cross it with a lemon dragon what do you get. Sierra mist? Give me a little while ti figure out how to make a coconut dragon and we can have our own tropical fruit stand.
    White + mud, maybe?

Add a little green for a palm tree dragon.

5. - Top - End - #125

White + mud, maybe?

Add a little green for a palm tree dragon.
    Possibly. if you take a pink dragon (steam) + white = water dragon. Take the water dragon and add a pinch of salt and a mud dragon and you have a beach dragon.

I am going to make a chart of the dragon types and what happens if you cross breed them. Like mud+red= stone, stone+water=sand and so on. (though honestly I prefer the expanded colors mort than items. though a cheeseburger dragon would be great.)

Show

Meat tastes good.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

It's probably a bit too late for it, but since there aren't stats for a thousand hues I imagined that dragons would give birth to a cluster of eggs, and they'd either take after the mother or the father, they wouldn't mix. Either that or they were all sexually repulsed to other colour dragons, but that's far less interesting.

Then you've got interesting relations; the copper dragon can't bring herself to harm a nearby evil dragon because they're related, or vice versa.
    I imagine this is rare, because they mostly inhabit different biomes, are considerably set with alignment, and although I can imagine chromatic dragons forcing themselves upon other dragons, most of the time they'd probably be better off just killing the rival. Metalic dragons probably have less need to mate because their children wouldn't treat their nest as a deathmatch, but their children are attractive targets.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Im wondering, is there a precedent for a sand dragon? I wanted to make one that is reminicient of the mummy and his abilities from the brendan fraiser movies. Have it be able to dissapear into sand and reform (form of innate misty step), wall of sand, sandstorm area affect on the battlefield, burrow and fly speeds, blindsight and such. Maybr even some necrotic stuff, make it literally into a mummy of some kind. Oh, and cant be killed, it just keeps coming back a la lich style without a ritual.

What would that be like?

Yes, i was watching the mummy and reading the planeshift kaladesh at the same time..
    Last edited by Raif; 2018-04-09 at 11:02 AM.

8. - Top - End - #128

Quote Originally Posted by Raif View Post
    Im wondering, is there a precedent for a sand dragon? I wanted to make one that is reminicient of the mummy and his abilities from the brendan fraiser movies. Have it be able to dissapear into sand and reform (form of innate misty step), wall of sand, sandstorm area affect on the battlefield, burrow and fly speeds, blindsight and such. Maybr even some necrotic stuff, make it literally into a mummy of some kind. Oh, and cant be killed, it just keeps coming back a la lich style without a ritual.

What would that be like?

Yes, i was watching the mummy and reading the planeshift kaladesh at the same time..
    That would be cool. I'd prefer if it was like a Dracolich variant, rather than a living dragon.

Actually, we should do that. The way I see it, the Big Four of undead boss monsters are the Lich, the Death Knight, the Vampire, and the Mummy Lord. We've already got Dracolich. Now I want to see the Dracomummy and Vampidragon!

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

That would be cool. I'd prefer if it was like a Dracolich variant, rather than a living dragon.

Actually, we should do that. The way I see it, the Big Four of undead boss monsters are the Lich, the Death Knight, the Vampire, and the Mummy Lord. We've already got Dracolich. Now I want to see the Dracomummy and Vampidragon!
    Definitely. The more i thought about it the more dracolich variant it became. Ill gave to whip something up. First foray into homebrew though so if anyone wants to do one too, please do!

10. - Top - End - #130

Definitely. The more i thought about it the more dracolich variant it became. Ill gave to whip something up. First foray into homebrew though so if anyone wants to do one too, please do!
    I'll make one, but I'd like to see yours first. It would be nice to have some idea of what you want mechanically.

11. - Top - End - #131

Vampiric dragons already exist in D&D (3.5 I think) But the exist. as for the Dracomummy I think that that would be so cool. Instead of a breath weapon he can whip people with the wrappings and create sandstorms. Ill work on this unless you want to Requilac. I bet your being kept busy with all dragon cross breeds.

Show

Meat tastes good.

12. - Top - End - #132

On a completely unrelated note do you guys think that i should make a follow up thread if this one dies? For example a more expanded list of the dragon crossbreeds.

Show

Meat tastes good.

13. - Top - End - #133

On a completely unrelated note do you guys think that i should make a follow up thread if this one dies? For example a more expanded list of the dragon crossbreeds.
    Ha ha ha ha ha!

This thread will never die; we have established that long ago.

It is the Undying Thread: our lord and master. It shall never truly die!

14. - Top - End - #134

Vampiric dragons already exist in D&D (3.5 I think) But the exist. as for the Dracomummy I think that that would be so cool. Instead of a breath weapon he can whip people with the wrappings and create sandstorms. Ill work on this unless you want to Requilac. I bet your being kept busy with all dragon cross breeds.
    I already promised to do the Dracomummy. I can probably do it tomorrow.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Well here's my first ever attempt at creating a homebrew - be kind! This is the kind of thing I would want to throw at someone at the high end of a campaign.

The Sand Dracolich
    Last edited by Raif; 2018-04-09 at 01:19 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136

I already promised to do the Dracomummy. I can probably do it tomorrow.
    Oh ok my bad. Can't wait. MORE DRAGONS WE NEED MORE DRAGONS.

Show

Meat tastes good.

17. - Top - End - #137

Well here's my first ever attempt at creating a homebrew - be kind! This is the kind of thing I would want to throw at someone at the high end of a campaign.

The Sand Dracolich
    Not bad. I like this and theres not much I would change. I did think of this as an ability.
    Sandy regeneration
    The sand dragon regains X hp a round if it is standing on sand. It can also regenerate lost limbs.

Or something along those lines i didn't have much time to think it through completely.

I also would have pictured it to have more "disruptive" or blinding abilities like a sand storm would have. Nice job on your first homebrew though.

Show

Meat tastes good.

18. - Top - End - #138

The Sand Dracolich
    Looks great! If anything, I think it's too powerful.

Give it lair actions and call it a day, I think. Yours is good enough that I don't think I need to make one. I'll do a different one. Any suggestions?

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I shall get to work on creating a lemonade dragon and dracolich template. I will possibly also make an alternative vampiric dracolich, because if I am being honest the difference between a dragon lich and vampire dragon don’t seem all that different aside from maybe a bite attack.

Hmm, this actually pretty good over-all. I just have a couple of suggestions.

1) Why do they have magic resistance? I can’t really see a thematic not mechanical reason as to why they should have it

2) You should decrease the damage on breath of sand and disrupt life . It is way too much in comparison to their main attacks, and is a little too much.

That is all.
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

My D&D 5e Homebrew Content

The Necronomicon. An >30 Page Cthulhu Mythos Supplement

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    I shall get to work on creating a lemonade dragon and dracolich template.
    Lemonade Dragon? I want to see this immediately. Can you make it bright yellow and have its breath attack remove exhaustion and heat, but blind the opponent and deal piercing/cold damage?

I must use this immediately! The next time I make a True-Polymorphed Wizard in a Lvl 17 Campaign, it’s going to be this.
    “I have cold resistance. I’m wearing clothes.”

Awesome avatar made by Ceika!

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I shall get to work on creating a lemonade dragon and dracolich template. I will possibly also make an alternative vampiric dracolich, because if I am being honest the difference between a dragon lich and vampire dragon don’t seem all that different aside from maybe a bite attack.

Hmm, this actually pretty good over-all. I just have a couple of suggestions.

1) Why do they have magic resistance? I can’t really see a thematic not mechanical reason as to why they should have it

2) You should decrease the damage on breath of sand and disrupt life . It is way too much in comparison to their main attacks, and is a little too much.

That is all.
    I left the magic resistance as it seems like all lich like entities have them. Since it's a dracolich, felt appropriate. I mean, the phylactery and removal of the soul in a magical way could definitely be the reason.

Ill look at the damage, i was taking an adult dracolich damage and scaled it up a bit. Any recommendations?

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

d6 Re: Crossbreeding Dragons

I left the magic resistance as it seems like all lich like entities have them. Since it's a dracolich, felt appropriate. I mean, the phylactery and removal of the soul in a magical way could definitely be the reason.

Ill look at the damage, i was taking an adult dracolich damage and scaled it up a bit. Any recommendations?
    I always establish what I want the monster’s CR to be and build it from there using the table on page 274 of the DMG, so perhaps you could look at that to see how much damage it should deal.
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I always establish what I want the monster’s CR to be and build it from there using the table on page 274 of the DMG, so perhaps you could look at that to see how much damage it should deal.
    yea I did that. I balanced it around a CR 28 with no lair and CR 30 with a lair. dropped down the breath to a 91 (26d6) piercing with a blind rider and the aoe to 63 necrotic (18d6) with a clause that if it brings a creature to 0 it can choose to raise it as a mummy.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Alrighty, draclich template (+ vampire template) and lemonade dragon has been made. Dragonborn ancestries have been update to.

yea I did that. I balanced it around a CR 28 with no lair and CR 30 with a lair. dropped down the breath to a 91 (26d6) piercing with a blind rider and the aoe to 63 necrotic (18d6) with a clause that if it brings a creature to 0 it can choose to raise it as a mummy.
    Seems good to me.
    -

25. - Top - End - #145

The lemonade dragon is perfect. Now I want one. They make great traveling companions. Plus I can start "Ivor's Draconic Lemonade" (couldn't think of a better name) I will make so much GP!!!!

Show

Meat tastes good.

26. - Top - End - #146

I may make MtG variants of the crossbreeds eventually (if I can find the time). Anybody have interest in this?

27. - Top - End - #147

THE NIGHT OF THE LIVING THREAD RETURNS

YAY its back and yes I would be quite interested in seeing MTG dragons. I don't know how different they would be from the current ones. Also are there drakes in 5e I have not encountered any.

Show

Meat tastes good.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I believe you mean Night of the Living Thread 2: Electric Bugaloo. That being said, I think there are drakes in 5e. Didn’t one crop up in Volo’s, the guard drake or something like that? And aren’t wyverns technically drakes too?

Somewhat relevant Interesting factoid: in real life, drake is actually the term used to describe a male duck.

I now have the sudden urge to be the most annoying DM and have a Quest-giver tell my players to hunt down some drakes, just to find out that they are huge ducks with breath weapons.
    -

29. - Top - End - #149
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

I just re-remembered this thread, looked at all the stuff that had been already made, and now can't get the idea of a campaign centered around these "variant" dragons out of my head.
    Something along the lines of a BBEG creating them artificially as powerful lieutenants/minions?

30. - Top - End - #150

I believe you mean Night of the Living Thread 2: Electric Bugaloo. That being said, I think there are drakes in 5e. Didn’t one crop up in Volo’s, the guard drake or something like that? And aren’t wyverns technically drakes too?

Somewhat relevant Interesting factoid: in real life, drake is actually the term used to describe a male duck.

I now have the sudden urge to be the most annoying DM and have a Quest-giver tell my players to hunt down some drakes, just to find out that they are huge ducks with breath weapons.
    Oh I forgot about those. Also I had no idea that a male duck was called a drake. Thanks. I wonder what topic we will go on a rant about now. I think that now we are like our own society on GitP and I hope the mods don't cast destroy undead and then destroy our Phylactery. If were lucky we'll get new titles (Probably not going to happen) We could be the Ancient rainbow dracolich.

Show

Meat tastes good.