New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Need some help with Windows Update

So, I noticed that I had not had a update in a little while so I manually ran Windows update and got the message "Windows Update cannot currently check for updates because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer." I have restarted my computer several times and I still get the same message. Anybody know how to fix this so I can get my updates?

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP1

Thanks

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Need some help with Windows Update

Try running Windows Update Troubleshooter. I've personally found restarting before you run the troubleshooter gives the best results. If Windows Update still doesn't work then we can attempt some other things.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Ok, I rebooted my computer and ran Windows Update Troubleshooter several times and got the same results each time.

Problems installing recent updates Not fixed
    Service registration is missing or corrupt Fixed

I am still getting the same "Windows Update cannot currently check for updates because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer." message when I try to Update.

4. - Top - End - #4

Hopefully, solution 2 mentioned in this article will work for you.

If none of the possible fixes mentioned in the website doesn't work, then the only other thing I can think of is using WSUS Offline Update which will download and install the necessary updates w/o using Windows Update. It's not an elegant solution though since as the name implies, the program will download all Windows 7 updates (about 3.5gb last I checked).

If you do end up having to use WSUS Offline, unzip the file you downloaded, run UpdateGenerator.exe, then open the client folder and run UpdateInstaller.exe

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Solution 2 worked! Thank you very much sir, you are both a gentleman and a scholar!

One problem remains, 2018-01 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 x64-based Systems (KB4056894) keeps failing it's download attempt. It will let me try again, but it still fails. Any ideas?

6. - Top - End - #6

The Windows Update Troubleshooter should hopefully be able to fix an issue like that. If that doesn't work, I believe repeating solution 2 could also work.

If all else fails, it is possible to manually download the update from here. You'll want to get "2018-01 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4056894)." Once you download it, you can install the update by double clicking on it.
    Last edited by AgentofOdd; 2018-01-16 at 08:58 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Just to point out: that security update you're talking about is the fix for the Meltdown and Spectre CPU bugs that were revealed recently, and it will only install if your virus scanner confirms it's compatible by setting a registry key. Some virus scanners are compatible, but require you to manually set the registry key. What scanner do you use?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

I use Avast. I looked at their forums and it looked like they were saying that the patch should install.

9. - Top - End - #9

BlackDragon

Might be worth manually checking that it's installed the registry key, then, just to be sure.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

I didn't know how to check the registry key to see if it was installed, so I uninstalled Avast and tried to install the patch. It was offered in Windows Update, but when I tried to install it I still got the download failed message. I reinstalled Avast from the most recent version and it failed again. I manually downloaded "2018-01 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4056894) but I have not tried to install it since I saw on the Avast forums that it looked like there was a problem with the update bricking computers with AMD chips (mine is a AMD Phenom II X6 1070T) so I am nervous about installing it. Any advice?

11. - Top - End - #11

BlackDragon

The update didn't brick my AMD Athlon 860K machine, but that's a much newer CPU than a Phenom II. I'm not sure why you would be having issues just downloading the update in the first place, though.

Avast is definitely one of the virus scanners that sets the registry key, so as long as you're running the latest version--which it sounds like you are--then you shouldn't have an issue there. Afraid I'm out of ideas at this point.

12. - Top - End - #12

Hmmm... it should be possible for you to create a system restore, install update KB4056894 then roll things back if your computer gets BSOD'd. But that's kind of a sloppy way to solve things imo.

I guess another option is to wait a bit and see if Windows releases a new patch for the Meltdown and Spectre bugs?
    Last edited by AgentofOdd; 2018-01-22 at 10:58 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentofOdd View Post
    Hmmm... it should be possible for you to create a system restore, install update KB4056894 then roll things back if your computer gets BSOD'd. But that's kind of a sloppy way to solve things imo.
    You may want to go whole hog with a backup. System restore points in Windows have a distressing tendency to get wiped out with update installs. I think it's supposed to be only with the major updates where it reinstalls the os but I stopped trusting that real fast when I had to update laptops in batches.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Ok, I don't know what's going on. I downloaded "2018-01 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 x64-based Systems (KB4056894)" to my desktop and tried to install it and the install failed. I downloaded and installed an optional update from windows update with no problem so it looks like it's just a problem with this patch. I ran Windows Update Troubleshooter and got

"Windows Update Error 0x80073712(2018-01-22-T-07_13_48P) Not Fixed

Any ideas other than re-programing it with a crowbar?

Sigh, computers, making our lives easier.

15. - Top - End - #15

BlackDragon

Try running through this troubleshooter and see what it says:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-update-errors

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Well, I couldn't find out what the problem was, so, since they are still letting you upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free, I went ahead and upgraded and that did the trick. Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by JDMSJR View Post
    Well, I couldn't find out what the problem was, so, since they are still letting you upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free, I went ahead and upgraded and that did the trick. Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it!
    They are? Well it's good to know that ship might not have sailed then. Because I foresee I may have to recommend that option to people in the near future.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Yep, I just did a search on "Can I upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 for free". Officially I think the offer has expired last December, but they haven't disabled your ability to upgrade yet. The guide I looked at thought that they might be closing it sometime soon, so if someone was going to do it sooner would probably be better than later.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Well, when it’s not one thing, it’s another. Just when I get my problems with Windows Update settled I get a problem with my phone. I keep getting a “Unfortunately Google Play Services has stopped working” message about every 10 seconds or so which has caused most of my apps to not work. This started Sunday evening. I have tried every suggestion in this article except for deleting my Google Account and re-signing in (because it won’t let me. I guess the error message is preventing it.) or doing a factory reset.

https://www.bartolab.com/2016/01/6-w...s-stopped.html

I haven’t installed any new apps recently, or updated any apps within a few days of the problem appearing.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4.

Any ideas?

(Correction, I also have not installed other versions of Google Play or installed another app store because I don't know how to do this)
    Last edited by JDMSJR; 2018-01-30 at 11:45 AM. Reason: correction

20. - Top - End - #20

Out of curiosity, can you check what version of Google Play you're using? You can do this by going to Settings -> Apps -> Google Play Store.

APK Mirror
    says the latest version of Google Play Store 8.8.12. If you're using that and having issues, then you may need to change to an older version (aka. downgrade) and hope a future version of the program doesn't keep crashing. If you're not using an older version, updating might help...

Oh also, what carrier is the S4 from?
    Last edited by AgentofOdd; 2018-01-31 at 06:38 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Well, I decided to fix the problem by upgrading my phone. Didn't want to really put a huge amount of work in trying to get a phone 5 years and three android versions old working again. I got a Motorolla Moto g5 Plus since it has great specs, is inexpensive, and is unlocked. Just got to get my Tracfone account switched over and I should be good to go. Thanks again for all the suggestions and help guys!!