New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Becoming a dragon

Inspired by a post an earlier thread that devolved into the DWK "Rabbit Season, Duck Season" arguement, does anyone know of any way for a creature to become an actual true dragon? Beyond polymorph/body-swapping shenanigans or DM fiat things like wish and savage species rituals I don't think I've ever seen anything difinitive.

The rules I have seen were vague and open to interpretation. An Example:

In dragonlance the "Skull Totem" feat(Age of mortals) could be taken by any Dragon typed monster and skull totems would bestow vertual age categories as well as other benefits(in return for needing to kill at least 10 dragons of at least young adult age, Good luck with that......)

While the feat is clearly(To me at least, RAI is "Interpreted" by the individual) meant for true dragons, could a "Lesser" draconic creature be transformed into a dragon of the appropriate type via the skull-totem ritual?

As a DM I'd rule yes, the difficulty involved means either killing 10 dragons and earning the animosity of the metallic's or a 55 chromatic/planar dragon genocidal rampage to avoid killing any "good" dragons. At the same time a dragon-disciple style character seeking true draconic ascension and trying to earn bahemut's blessing seems like a compelling story for a PC.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Becoming a dragon

While the dragonwrought kobold may not be a true dragon, the feat does give it the dragon creature type.
    According to the description of the reincarnate spell, a creature with a type other than humanoid requires the creation of a new reincarnation table composed of creatures of the appropriate creature type. Since the dragonwrought kobold is a dragon, it is possible that a dragon-specific reincarnate table could result in them being brought back as a true dragon.

This is technically within the boundaries of the rules, but since it does require the creation of a new table it's up to the DM whether true dragons will appear on that table at all.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

rules for playing a dragon true or otherwise can be found in draconomicon starting on page 141. as always the LA for powerful races is excessive.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Post Re: Becoming a dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Vaern View Post
    While the dragonwrought kobold may not be a true dragon, the feat does give it the dragon creature type.
    According to the description of the reincarnate spell, a creature with a type other than humanoid requires the creation of a new reincarnation table composed of creatures of the appropriate creature type. Since the dragonwrought kobold is a dragon, it is possible that a dragon-specific reincarnate table could result in them being brought back as a true dragon.

This is technically within the boundaries of the rules, but since it does require the creation of a new table it's up to the DM whether true dragons will appear on that table at all.
    This list might be handy...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I know you ruled out body-swapping, but that does seem like the best way pre-Epic to get into a Dragon's body and stay there indefinitely.

Post-Epic, you could probably research an Epic Spell that instantaneously transmutes you into a True Dragon.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by captain fubar View Post
    rules for playing a dragon true or otherwise can be found in draconomicon starting on page 141. as always the LA for powerful races is excessive.
    Yeah, though I was more wondering on how a non-dragon could Become one. I tend to look for rules covering any story idea's I have for world building. This one in particular was for a Kobold hero that attained the True Dragonic Apotheosis and became a center point of Kobold religion.(this does not have anything to do with DWK, kobold in this story became an actual young adult gold dragon)

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    I know you ruled out body-swapping, but that does seem like the best way pre-Epic to get into a Dragon's body and stay there indefinitely.

Post-Epic, you could probably research an Epic Spell that instantaneously transmutes you into a True Dragon.
    Yeah, Epic spells are basically DM fiat for players.

I avoid epic rules and Rule 0 in particular in my games except when they're impossible to avoid(gods, demonlords/archdevils, etc. require epic rules to have their character sheet be congruent with the lore)
    Last edited by Promethean; 2018-01-20 at 07:59 AM.