New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 12: Artificial Unintelligence

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Same. It's a mild "crosses the line twice" humour: initially offensive, because Pintsize is being an ass, and then funny, when it turns out that Roko has been putting up with it (rather than walking out after the first toast hit her) because it turns out to be merely the second-worst date she has ever had.

Not the best joke ever, but also not entirely unfunny. At least prior to explaining the joke, of course.

GW
    More or less my thoughts. Though I think it'd've been funnier if Pintsize was offended at getting second place
    Last edited by georgie_leech; 2018-03-02 at 12:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    More or less my thoughts. Though I think it'd've been funnier if Pintsize was offended at getting second place
    An "I try harder" punchline wouldn't have gone amiss, indeed.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I still loled at this, I don't know why.

And I kinda hope Jeph makes this canon, and when Faye and Bubbles come home in the evening they find Pintsize and Roko on the couch together.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    That's not Roko, is it? It's just close enough that with the shifting art style (ugh, stop) it might be her, but I didn't see it until you said something.

Either way, there is literally nothing funny or entertaining about today's comic.
    Same skin/hair/eye colors, same build, same face shape, same hairstyle when she lets it down except for having some hair in front of her ears now...not much art style shift required. If anything, this is one of the less shifted character designs.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Please sate my curiosity - what do you know it as?
    Literally translated, it comes out as "Gatorade Time"

6. - Top - End - #396
    Titan in the Playground

I don't typically read the notes under the comic, they rarely contribute anything to the comic itself, so as far as I knew this was just another of those "um, OK" moments that sometimes pop up.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Colossus in the Playground

My guess was this was some sort of strange fetish matchup thing. If people can be sexually aroused by squeaking balloons, getting toast shot at them isnt a stretch. Turns out it isnt as sexy while trying to have a conversation.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    it turns out to be merely the second-worst date she has ever had.
    Yeah, that was the joke, for those that didn't get it. FWIW, I thought it was funny.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

I'll take pointless, stupid Pintsize shenanigans that comes out of nowhere over stupid, pointless drama that comes out of nowhere with no foreshadowing.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    stupid, pointless drama that comes out of nowhere with no foreshadowing.
    What does that refer to?

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    I'll take pointless, stupid Pintsize shenanigans that comes out of nowhere over stupid, pointless drama that comes out of nowhere with no foreshadowing.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    What does that refer to?
    Well, it's probably not the way a new super-powerful AI came out of nowhere to solve Bubbles' problems, because that was more something that ended the drama (although its inclusion did make the weeks of drama-buildup surrounding that plotline stupid and pointless). It's also probably not how Jeff brought back the sister and introduced her "studying philosophy/psychology related to AIs" girlfriend and they ended up mostly just existing to briefly discuss the Faye/Bubbles romance without actually discussing it, but that stupid pointless drama was foreshadowed well enough.

I think they're talking about Tiffy, who briefly showed up purely to create stupid pointless drama between Hannelore and her mother - drama that wouldn't exist if this character didn't exist (it's not like the drama existed without Tiffy and Tiffy just happened to be the one informing Hanners of the problem, the plotline centers around Tiffy's existence). But there's enough possibilities in the past few years that I can't be sure what they meant.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #402
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Well, it's probably not the way a new super-powerful AI came out of nowhere to solve Bubbles' problems, because that was more something that ended the drama (although its inclusion did make the weeks of drama-buildup surrounding that plotline stupid and pointless). It's also probably not how Jeff brought back the sister and introduced her "studying philosophy/psychology related to AIs" girlfriend and they ended up mostly just existing to briefly discuss the Faye/Bubbles romance without actually discussing it, but that stupid pointless drama was foreshadowed well enough.

I think they're talking about Tiffy, who briefly showed up purely to create stupid pointless drama between Hannelore and her mother - drama that wouldn't exist if this character didn't exist (it's not like the drama existed without Tiffy and Tiffy just happened to be the one informing Hanners of the problem, the plotline centers around Tiffy's existence). But there's enough possibilities in the past few years that I can't be sure what they meant.
    I kind of assumed that they were referring to all of the various uninteresting unnecessary drama for its own sake that weve been getting for a while now, instead of just one event.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

13. - Top - End - #403
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I kind of assumed that they were referring to all of the various uninteresting unnecessary drama for its own sake that weve been getting for a while now, instead of just one event.
    One week drama is fun. Problem pops up Monday, explodes Tuesday and Wednesday, they figure out the solution Thursday, then solve it Friday. NEXT!!!
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ettin in the Playground

Speaking of drama, Pintsize is being uncharacteristically polite here. I am instantly suspicious of his motives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

15. - Top - End - #405
    Bugbear in the Playground

A nosering and she's stretching her earlobes out of shape? It's her body and all, but.. Blech.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    A nosering and she's stretching her earlobes out of shape? It's her body and all, but.. Blech.
    Hasn't she been doing that for a while? also, while neither are things I'm into... discussing this for no reason seems a tad judgemental to me. Are we now regularly commenting on characters' new fashion choices, too?

I feel way more about... NO, PINTSIZE, THIS IS NOT ABOUT RESPECTING KINKS! This is about you probably deliberately deciding to ruin a person's day / evening by doing something you didn't tell them you intended to do and that you know they would not like! She took her time to meet you and you can't tell me you are too dumb to be aware of this. If this is just a case of "Pintsize is a jerk" joke, fine. But if it is about reasonable people respecting this, then no, that's not fine. And no, I don't know why this of all things gets me so angry but it does.
    Last edited by Kato; 2018-03-05 at 06:57 AM.

17. - Top - End - #407

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    Claire is turning into Jeff.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Hasn't she been doing that for a while? also, while neither are things I'm into... discussing this for no reason seems a tad judgemental to me. Are we now regularly commenting on characters' new fashion choices, too?

I feel way more about... NO, PINTSIZE, THIS IS NOT ABOUT RESPECTING KINKS! This is about you probably deliberately deciding to ruin a person's day / evening by doing something you didn't tell them you intended to do and that you know they would not like! She took her time to meet you and you can't tell me you are too dumb to be aware of this. If this is just a case of "Pintsize is a jerk" joke, fine. But if it is about reasonable people respecting this, then no, that's not fine. And no, I don't know why this of all things gets me so angry but it does.
    I'm sure the robot dating app has a section for kinks.

We know that Pintsize is more aware than he often lets on, and yes, this is far more a case of Pintsize being a jerk than it is about "respecting kinks".
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Troll in the Playground

These two have an odd, but oddly pleasing, relationship. I am not forgetting that Claire managed to actually frighten Pintsize into respect by offering to download the Library of Congress I think it was directly into his brain and cause him such an agonizing information overload he'd never recover. It was a bluff, but effective. She's pretty scary when she wants to be.

And I have Googled 'Crab Girlfriend" and found nothing under that specific title. Although some interesting hits with just 'crab' 'girl' and 'friend'

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Yes, this has been her look for quite a while now. This seems to be the extent of her cosmetic body modification. So far.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    And I have Googled 'Crab Girlfriend" and found nothing under that specific title. Although some interesting hits with just 'crab' 'girl' and 'friend'
    While Jeph often borrows from "real" fiction, e.g. the recent Gundam reference, he more often invents his own fictional.. stuff. I think recently there was a Crab Girlfriend poster and some reference elsewhere. My best guess is that it is referencing things like Monster Musume, that is media (especially Japanese) where one part of a couple is not human(oid).
    Of course there probably is some manga somewhere that's called crab girlfriend but it's so little known you can only find it on the Japanese reddit page for interspecies romances if you speak Osaka dialect.

Edit: also, South Park has ruined me because I can only say the word Crab Girlfriend in my head as an ominous chant.
    Last edited by Kato; 2018-03-05 at 09:42 AM.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Yes, this has been her look for quite a while now. This seems to be the extent of her cosmetic body modification. So far.
    I've gotten used to it, but at the time it seemed to come completely out of nowhere.

It's a millennial thing, or an urban thing... no one I personally know that I can think of has a nose ring or ear disks... but this weekend at one of the good local restaurants all three of the wait staff we interacted with had nose hardware of some kind.

22. - Top - End - #412

This is the author (image from Wikipedia):

Spoiler
    Show

I think that there was some conversation way back about gross stuff accumulating in that kind of earrings. Looking back, it probably was experience speaking.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

23. - Top - End - #413

Griffon

Remember the comic wherein Clinton got a tattoo? Then a few strips later he said that he hated it, but couldn't stop thinking about getting another? That's a real thing. Endorphins are awesome, and piercings get you the same sort of rush.

Completely anecdotally - though I would venture to suggest that there may some science behind it - I personally have noticed a greater correlation of piercings and tattoos among people with alternative lifestyles, especially LGBT+. Someone once tried to describe it to me as a form of asserting bodily autonomy - being gay or trans still, in a great many places, has a stigma attached to it even though it is a built-in preference that cannot be changed. The copious application of body art and modification is a way of manifesting control in the face of oppression; it's *my* body and I can do what *I* want with it, sort of thing.

I don't know if that is true, and of course it wouldn't be for 100% of people, but I'm willing to believe that there is something to it and it fits with what we know about Claire.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ettin in the Playground

Completely anecdotally - though I would venture to suggest that there may some science behind it - I personally have noticed a greater correlation of piercings and tattoos among people with alternative lifestyles, especially LGBT+. Someone once tried to describe it to me as a form of asserting bodily autonomy - being gay or trans still, in a great many places, has a stigma attached to it even though it is a built-in preference that cannot be changed. The copious application of body art and modification is a way of manifesting control in the face of oppression; it's *my* body and I can do what *I* want with it, sort of thing.

I don't know if that is true, and of course it wouldn't be for 100% of people, but I'm willing to believe that there is something to it and it fits with what we know about Claire.
    I can imagine that sentiment has particular utility for (some) trans people. It reminds me a lot of the coping mechanisms described here. Having accepted that some body modifications are not only okay, but medically beneficial and/or necessary--and having undergone those modifications--may also make the idea of other modifications more comfortably familiar.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2018-03-05 at 03:25 PM.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's Jeph, not Jeff.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Titan in the Playground

Remember the comic wherein Clinton got a tattoo? Then a few strips later he said that he hated it, but couldn't stop thinking about getting another? That's a real thing. Endorphins are awesome, and piercings get you the same sort of rush.
    Interesting. I've never had an experience that sounds remotely anything like the way endorphins are described.

That's kinda what I figured too, but I think it's also just becoming more common in general.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting. I've never had an experience that sounds remotely anything like the way endorphins are described.
    The "hating it" isn't part of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    The "hating it" isn't part of that.
    I understand that.

What I'm saying is that I've never experienced what other people describe the effect of "endorphins" being like. Ever. It was just a sidenote.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

I understand that.

What I'm saying is that I've never experienced what other people describe the effect of "endorphins" being like. Ever. It was just a sidenote.
    Ever ridden in a roller coaster and enjoyed it?

30. - Top - End - #420
    Titan in the Playground

I understand that.

You never enjoyed anything?

Not much to say about today.. Weird, a little bit funny, but mostly random.
    I'm slightly curious what melons shirt refers to but if I search for it I probably better do it later...
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental