New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,496 of 1496
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Questionable Content 12: Artificial Unintelligence

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    Where I'm at, $3 gets me a kg of potatoes, or about 800 calories rounded up. My point isn't that Oreos in particular are calorie dense, but that cheap junk is more calorie rich than you're giving it credit for. Being mostly corn syrup will do that.
    You're right, a $3 bag of potatoes is reasonably nutritious - except that to some people, $3 might as well be $3000 whether they're buying vegetables or cookies. Herein lies the difference between "not having much money" and "being in abject poverty".

The implication being that Clinton thought she was referring to the former, but Brun is referring to the latter.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Bugbear in the Playground

That is a ridiculous potato price. (Well I got potato calorie wrong anyway. Though do you haven't at least any super cheap white bread in your heathen country, it might not be proper bread but is calories dense and still better than Oreo?) Anyway where exactly did I say snacks don't have calorie I said they don't replace meals? Eating ten mars bars meets your cal requirements that doesn't mean they leave you sated.
    Last edited by Ibrinar; 2018-07-11 at 04:31 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Ettin in the Playground

Could also be luck of the draw, because if her family relied on things like food donations, she might just not have gotten raisins. I worked at one briefly, and they sorta just handed out whatever they got their hands on, which was often a strange selection of vegetables. Persimmons got in there once, and I've never had those before from an middle class upbringing.

Also, I am suspicious of the guy comparing kilos of potatoes for the example of a poorer family in the states. I get the feeling that your information might be a little different...Almost...Foreign.

However, if appliances aren't a thing due to being in a car or similar situation, oreos might be preferable because I've heard you shouldn't be eating potatoes raw. Of course, if Brun is not from the area where the comic is set, the idea that only a Wal-mart or other grocery store that didn't have produce at good prices is still a factor. I'm not really sure how prevalent food deserts really are, but I'm not going to be up in arms about someone mentioning it as an off-hand joke.

We also need titles, guys. My best idea is 'Robo-love Drama'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    We also need titles, guys. My best idea is 'Robo-love Drama'.
    Oh man it's that time already. My vote is "That's My "Internally Screaming" Face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

5. - Top - End - #1475

Griffon

Questionable Content 13: It Is YOU Who is The Dork!

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Seconded.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

+1 vote from me.
    Last edited by Mith; 2018-07-11 at 06:40 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Colossus in the Playground

Speaking as someone who has lived on food stamps (Thats government paying for food on a monthly basis for those who may not know) Buying in bulk is generally the best option possible when money is tight. Bulk serings ted to be cheaper per unit. Just as an example, you can buy a full pork loin for about 14 bucks in my neck of the woods and get two dozen chops out of that. Thats a damn fine main course right there. Yes, this all assumes you have both a freezer and time to cook, but even so. Arguing about the difference between poor and "poor" is kinda futile because, as I think has been mentioned already, there are all sorts of different standards depending on where you live, and even those who live in the same area will often have slightly different circumstances. For the record i will put my hat in the ring for raisins being super cheap and a solid thing to eat as they keep for so long (they kinda suck in summer cause they get sticky and clump together) But its not THAT surprising someone would have ever eaten it, even for reasons that have nothing to do with money. I live in ct btw, so im a north eastern feller myself. I could probably drive to their apartment from my place.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #1479

Partially unrelated question: is there an allergy to raisins? Could Brun be about to collapse?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Partially unrelated question: is there an allergy to raisins? Could Brun be about to collapse?
    Conceivably she could be allergic to grapes, which would thus extend to raisins and other grape-based products like wines, but that seems... unlikely. Grape allergies are rare, and severe "get me to the hospital now" allergies rare even among that group.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Ogre in the Playground

As someone on the spectrum, I have a lot of difficulty trying new food. It's also part of my OCD, as well. Kinda surprised that Brun hasn't shown that yet.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Sounds good to me, as well.

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Ettin in the Playground

Welp, she doesn't very much like raisins it seems. I'm also weird with food, in that I eat more for texture than taste. Like, you know how certain flavors you like can be wrong if it's the wrong kind of thing? I'm like that with everything. I like chocolate milk but not chocolate bars, Meat and fish have to be moist and soft no matter how good it tastes, carbonated drinks burn my entire mouth and nose except when that drink is a malta... I can go on.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Titan in the Playground

Texture is a HUGE deal for me when it comes to food. There are things I don't mind the taste of that I find vile because of the texture. And the same texture can be fine for one food and vile for another -- meat should never be chewy... fat and gristle make my insta-gag.

Plus there are some foods that to me stink like hot wet Russian restaurant garbage, that other people can't even smell.

But I love carbonated beverages, almost to a fault -- love the fizz, and as a bonus it gets all sorts of other tastes and stuff out of my mouth.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2018-07-11 at 11:07 PM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm another person for whom texture is a big deal. In fact, I can't eat most meats simply because the texture feels wrong to me.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    Where I'm at, $3 gets me a kg of potatoes, or about 800 calories rounded up. My point isn't that Oreos in particular are calorie dense, but that cheap junk is more calorie rich than you're giving it credit for. Being mostly corn syrup will do that.
    Corn farming subsidies do all sorts of weird stuff to prices. Calorie for calorie really cheap icecream is often one of the cheapest things around.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I had raisins before, but mostly as part of cereals and muesli or baked goods, not simply as a snack on their own. That idea just sounds strange to me.

Grapes on the other hand, yes. I have some of those in the house as snacks right now.

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

I grew up in an upper-middle class home in a fairly rural part of the world, but then spent about a decade raising two kids, in a very urban part of the world, deeply mired in poverty. And I can say, having seen two sides, that the interaction between food and money are complex things that don't have easy answers. And there are way more sides to the matter than I've seen. I've just had the benefit of seeing it from two very different angles.

It is true that, calorie for calorie, junk is cheaper than not junk. But the real benefit of junk food (or was for me anyway) is time and ease of effort. A lot of people forget, or don't know, just how exhausting it can be to be poor. I remember keenly the back-to-back 16 hour work days, always on your feet, long hours on inefficient transit (or walking) because we couldn't afford a car, bad shoes, never enough sleep, etc etc.

And I'd be home on a Thursday evening, have four hours to spend with my kids before bedtime, another three or four 16 hour days after that, and the last thing I want to do is spend an hour and change making food when frozen pizza is 25 easy minutes away.

All that being said, I had raisins around both in my youth and in my poor young-adulthood. So it also struck me as a strange way for Jeph to walk into the conversation about privilege and wealth.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

19. - Top - End - #1489
    Titan in the Playground

Poverty can be, and very often is, grinding... physically, mentally, and emotionally.

I just wish the conversation about poverty hadn't turned to the finger-pointing, social-revanchism, and class-baiting of "privilege".
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

20. - Top - End - #1490

Are we still talking about the sociopolitical issues brought up clumsily by a slice of life webcomic?

21. - Top - End - #1491
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Corn farming subsidies do all sorts of weird stuff to prices. Calorie for calorie really cheap icecream is often one of the cheapest things around.
    Calorie for calorie, the highest value per weight is in fats.

There are a huge number of calories in margarine, and if that's not cheap enough, lard or dripping is cheaper still and about the same calorie content, the calorie content of butter is similar, but it tends to be more expensive.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2018-07-12 at 10:34 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

22. - Top - End - #1492
    Barbarian in the Playground

I approve of this.
    My completely awesome avatar (I call her Quill) has been generously crafted by the esteemed Honest Tiefling!

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    DEGENERATION 87: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good-looking) and your humility is stunning.

23. - Top - End - #1493
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    I grew up in an upper-middle class home in a fairly rural part of the world, but then spent about a decade raising two kids, in a very urban part of the world, deeply mired in poverty. And I can say, having seen two sides, that the interaction between food and money are complex things that don't have easy answers. And there are way more sides to the matter than I've seen. I've just had the benefit of seeing it from two very different angles.

It is true that, calorie for calorie, junk is cheaper than not junk. But the real benefit of junk food (or was for me anyway) is time and ease of effort. A lot of people forget, or don't know, just how exhausting it can be to be poor. I remember keenly the back-to-back 16 hour work days, always on your feet, long hours on inefficient transit (or walking) because we couldn't afford a car, bad shoes, never enough sleep, etc etc.

And I'd be home on a Thursday evening, have four hours to spend with my kids before bedtime, another three or four 16 hour days after that, and the last thing I want to do is spend an hour and change making food when frozen pizza is 25 easy minutes away.

All that being said, I had raisins around both in my youth and in my poor young-adulthood. So it also struck me as a strange way for Jeph to walk into the conversation about privilege and wealth.
    Thanks for this. This is the most cogent of all the responses I've seen here. I too have a mixed experience -- grew up struggling middle class, great uncle left my parents a lot when I was out of the house, I'm a ridiculously overcompensated professional, but my forays into addiction and recovery (and sponsorship) along with working in healthcare has given me a tourist's view of the extremely marginalized. All I can say is that "complex things that don't have easy answers" is the truest thing. Between food deserts, lack of working appliances, cheap, sugar-packed (or fat packed, such as the lard sandwiches and fry-bread government food rations brought to reservation diets) food, and so on can easily make junk food the easiest to afford (to actually eat).

But also, I also found this entire foray into privilege and wealth very strange and more than a little stilted.

24. - Top - End - #1494

I am extremely ignorant when it comes to this stuff. There is a very good comic out there which deals with life in poverty, "How to Be Homeless", which has been pretty much the only window I've had to get something of an idea. I think it's worth reading. IIRC it also says something about potatoes somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

25. - Top - End - #1495
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Are we still talking about the sociopolitical issues brought up clumsily by a slice of life webcomic?
    Naw, we're talking about raisin bread now...

26. - Top - End - #1496

Griffon

New Thread, since this one is about to tip over the edge of oblivion... aka, Page 51.