New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Talk About Horror Some More!

Quote Originally Posted by PokéTriforce View Post
    I don't know if I was ever going to add Castle Freak in my collection, or not.
    As it turns out, I have Castle Freak & 2 other titles waiting to be purchased when Full Moon has their Halloween sale. Who knows? I might get something in a Full Moon Mystery Box/Bag that will add to my collection?

Sorry to do this...but...

That obviously means PokéTriforce is going to advertise the YouTube channel...AGAIN!

...Just in case you'd like to know what I received in previous Full Moon Mystery Boxes/Bags: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H09b5..._VROtDLYpzL17z

See? Told ya'!
    End of line.

I am not a bot...really. I just sound like the Master Control Program that should be in charge of everything.

End of line.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just out of curiosity, what's everyone's go to movie for Halloween?
    End of line.

I am not a bot...really. I just sound like the Master Control Program that should be in charge of everything.

End of line.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

As a horror fan, I'm not really seasonal with my tastes. And as a generally spooky person, I have Halloween decorations up all year round. That said, Trick R Treat and Halloween 3 are both good Halloween films.

Also, this year is the 50th anniversary of Night of the Living Dead, so I expect you all to give it a rewatch!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Firbolg in the Playground

Just out of curiosity, what's everyone's go to movie for Halloween?
    Scary Movie and The Rocky Horror Picture Show
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    Trick R Treat and Halloween 3 are both good Halloween films.

Also, this year is the 50th anniversary of Night of the Living Dead, so I expect you all to give it a rewatch!
    I may or may not have seen Trick R Treat. I'm sure I have; but I just don't remember it. Season of the Witch (Halloween 3) was good as a stand-alo...AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!! I have that Shamrock jingle in my head, now!

50th anniversary?!? I might as well make sure to have that playing in the background on October 4, 2018 (for my D&D monthly game)!

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Scary Movie and The Rocky Horror Picture Show
    Scary Movie was fun in its own way. Time Warp was a regular song sung by the haunted house group I used to belong to (before they had to file for bankruptcy). In fact, from 200(5, 6, 8, or 9) - 2011, the haunt used to have a Rocky Horror troupe perform on our stage!

PS: Can someone get that stupid Shamrock jingle outta' my head?!
    End of line.

End of line.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Has anyone seen Clown? It's an R-rated 2016 movie that Netflix happens to have. All it says is: "When the clown he hired for his son's birthday party fails to show up, Kent McCoy dons a clown suit from his attic to entertain. But after the party, he's unable to remove the costume and soon begins to feel a murderous spirit taking control of him."

The reason I'm asking is that a friend asked my opinion of it. He said he wanted me to watch it and tell him what I thought. I'm just curious if anyone else has seen it (and what THEY thought about it). Is it worth me taking the time to watch? If you've read my post of the MANY horror movies I own, you can figure out my tastes when it comes to horror films.

In other words, I'd like to get other opinions; so I can formulate the best review for him.
    End of line.

End of line.

7. - Top - End - #67

RogueGuy

It's alright. Although I don't know your tastes. lol

I think that is the movie that was based off a joke trailer.

Does anyone hear listen to Horror stories on Youtube?

I mean the narrations by people who read creepypastas, and stuff like that?

8. - Top - End - #68

Clown was terrible. A few friends and lots of drinks, then sure, it would be worth watching. As far as recent killer clown movies, I liked Stitches more. Not really a good movie either, but it was a lot more fun. I've been hearing some good things about Terrifier, but I haven't seen it yet.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyberwulf View Post

I used to listen to Mutahar (Some Ordinary Gamers). I remember enjoying listening to his creepypastas.
    End of line.

End of line.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

I still haven't finished my Spirit Camera game on my 3DS system. It's based on the Fatal Frame game series. Has anyone played any of those games? Opinions?
    End of line.

End of line.

11. - Top - End - #71

I haven't played the 3ds one, but Fatal Frame is my favorite horror game series by far. I have the soundtrack to the first on my phone right now! The first 3 on the ps2 are fantastic. 4 on the wii was kinda weak (Japan only, but you can play an import pretty easily), but 5 on the wiiu was great!

There was a movie in Japan, but it was more or less a standard ghost/revenge film. I liked it, but not as much as any of the games. The story in 1 and 3 in particular hit a couple of my buttons!

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by Kyberwulf View Post

I've watched OverlySarcasticProductions' summaries of Frankenstein and Dracula
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

I should have my place decorated for Halloween, tomorrow. I tend to go for fun & creepy more than blood, guts, & gore. I remember hearing (I think it was last year) about people getting in trouble for their decorations. Any thoughts about what is TOO gruesome (or inappropriate) to display?
    End of line.

End of line.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

Haunted houses can be fun; however, "contact" haunts (where the monsters have been given permission to touch, grab, and do who-knows-what to you)...

...Let me tell you why I would NEVER go to -- or even work for -- a "contact" haunt:

I don't care for "contact" haunts, because there's too many things that can go wrong. Sure...on paper, it works just fine. Then again, on paper, Trump might have seemed like a decent person. There's a difference between what the written rules are and what happens when around unknown variables (such as humans). Let me start with a non-contact haunt.

I worked at 13th Door haunted house in 2002. I was going to return in 2003. When I went through as a guest (before signing up to work there), I saw some problems. When the owner made a hallway NOT wheelchair accessible -- making the excuse "we want to make sure the people get claustrophobic. That's why they're even at an angle, barely a foot space.", I asked about people whose disability prevented them from moving in such a way. His reply was, "Then their haunt experience ends there. We don't guarantee them to be able to make it through the whole haunt."

When asked about the actor who kept breathing his halitosis in my face, his reply was, "It made you uncomfortable, didn't it? Therefore, he was doing his job properly."

The final straw was when I saw a mother and her 2 small kids enter the first room. I hard a loud bang. The mother stormed out that room (her kids bawling loudly) and said she'd like her money back. She said that things started out fine, until someone came at her kids with a weapon and banged it in front of them. Ray's response was, "You paid for them to be scared, right? They look plenty scared to me. It looks like you got your money's worth. No refunds."

That's why I left 13th Door -- and joined Scream Entertainment. Since I mentioned I'd inform you about "contact" haunts, I'll use House of Shadows (that a friend of mine decided to work for). By the way, he told me that a female at that haunt LICKS peoples faces.

Even though "groping" is a no-no for House of Shadows, who's to say what happens when a bunch of guests go through. The guests that get touched (or even licked) might consider that a form of sexual harassment. If drunk guests go through, ANYTHING can happen to other guests (and even cast). Sometimes, someone might have a bad day. They may have had a guest heckling them, or something. HANDS ON means they don't worry about restraining themselves (even if they feel like they might be getting a bit aggressive with the guests). In a CONTROLLED, RELAXED environment, things would be fine. Take many nights & a few rowdy guests...and things can ESCALATE to "mishaps" (of the undesired kind).

I just thought I'd inform you why "contact" haunts aren't really my (or anyone's) thing. Well, perhaps 50 shades of guests would enjoy that kind of thing...

Anyway, I told someone about haunts around town -- including House of Shadows. She responded with, "I went to House of Shadows, two years ago, and found it not to my liking for a haunt experience! People pawing at my face and smearing blood on me was irritating...and I did not enjoy the experience. I will not go back."

My friend even told me about something that happened there, last year. They lost an old guy. Not through the guy dying of fright or anything...they LITERALLY lost him! As it turned out, they got him so turned around -- that he wandered through the casting area and out the back door. When he found someone (a security person), he asked where the nearest bar was. The security person gave him directions...and the man left. I was told that the man seemed bored; so security didn't think he had anything to do with the haunt (not even as a guest). His family, while looking for him (starting to panic, a little), described what the man looked like. That's when the security -- who had sent him to the nearest bar -- told them where he was.

Well...I just thought I'd inform people of why I won't EVER work (nor go through as a guest) for ANY "contact" haunt.
    End of line.

End of line.

15. - Top - End - #75

Instead of a haunted house attraction or something like that I think it would be cool to spend Halloween taking a tour of a slaughterhouse or something

Omegaupdate Forum

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

Who is interested in the movie being released on Friday, October 19, 2018? Here's a poem about him:

In Haddonfield, Illinois,
    Is where he can be seen.
    He waits to do his killings,
    On the nights of Halloween.

He uses a large kitchen knife.
    Kill his family…That’s his plan.
    His name is Michael Myers.
    AKA the Boogeyman!

In 1963,
    On Halloween at night,
    The parents of Judith,
    Were in for a fright.
    Their son, in a clown costume,
    Killed one sister dead.
    Thirty-five years later,
    The other chopped off his head.

But it really wasn’t him,
    That Laurie Strode done in.
    Instead, a paramedic. And now,
    Michael’s loose again.

Every Halloween, I guess,
    That everyone is,
    Entitled to one scare. Let’s hope,
    The scaring isn’t his!
    End of line.

End of line.

17. - Top - End - #77

Last edited by Bohandas; 2018-10-13 at 12:00 AM.

Omegaupdate Forum

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

Even though "groping" is a no-no for House of Shadows, who's to say what happens when a bunch of guests go through. The guests that get touched (or even licked) might consider that a form of sexual harassment. If drunk guests go through, ANYTHING can happen to other guests (and even cast). Sometimes, someone might have a bad day. They may have had a guest heckling them, or something. HANDS ON means they don't worry about restraining themselves (even if they feel like they might be getting a bit aggressive with the guests). In a CONTROLLED, RELAXED environment, things would be fine. Take many nights & a few rowdy guests...and things can ESCALATE to "mishaps" (of the undesired kind).

I just thought I'd inform you why "contact" haunts aren't really my (or anyone's) thing. Well, perhaps 50 shades of guests would enjoy that kind of thing...

Anyway, I told someone about haunts around town -- including House of Shadows. She responded with, "I went to House of Shadows, two years ago, and found it not to my liking for a haunt experience! People pawing at my face and smearing blood on me was irritating...and I did not enjoy the experience. I will not go back."

My friend even told me about something that happened there, last year. They lost an old guy. Not through the guy dying of fright or anything...they LITERALLY lost him! As it turned out, they got him so turned around -- that he wandered through the casting area and out the back door. When he found someone (a security person), he asked where the nearest bar was. The security person gave him directions...and the man left. I was told that the man seemed bored; so security didn't think he had anything to do with the haunt (not even as a guest). His family, while looking for him (starting to panic, a little), described what the man looked like. That's when the security -- who had sent him to the nearest bar -- told them where he was.
    I just heard of a more recent reason why "contact" haunts are terrible: One of the performers was sick. He went anyway. Not only was he infecting the other cast/crew members there; but, he was infecting those going through the haunt. He would still get up close and grab/hold onto them. If someone was ill at the haunts that I worked at, they would either send you home or place you somewhere to keep you away (such as working "behind the scenes" or at a good distance) from the others (guests AND cast/crew). Happy hachooween?

Who knows? This might just be how House of Shadows (Gresham, Oregon) conducts business. This may not be a standard for all "contact" haunts. Still...I'm not willing to risk it.
    End of line.

End of line.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Due to having some extra time the past couple of days, caught up on some new (to me) horror movies.

Cloverfield Paradox - A very well done Sci-fi horror film that feels like it could be a sister film to Event Horizon. You can tell the Cloverfield bits were added later on in the production, but they were incorporated well for the most part.

As Above So Below - A found footage film about an archaeologist following in her father's footsteps in the search for the philosopher's stone. Weirdness ensues in the catacombs under Paris. Does a very nice job of using minimal effects to produce a very disconcerting and eerie atmosphere.

XX - An anthology film, with a very bizarre and surreal overarching segment. Tends more towards black comedy than outright horror, but did have a couple of creepy ideas in it. One of the segments is a stealth sequel to Rosemary's Baby so that was fun/interesting.

Tales of Halloween - Another anthology horror film, following all the weirdness that happens in/near this one town on Halloween. Falls hard on the campy side of horror movies, and was great fun for it.

The Haunting of Hill House (series) - Overall pretty stellar show, with a decent balance of creepiness and drama. Its a bit heavy topic wise (abuse, death, addiction, etc), not recommended in large doses.

Also started on Residue, but haven't finished it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

20. - Top - End - #80

Just finished Haunting of Hill House and loved it. Got the tone and themes of the novel, while creating something new. Never lost sight of its metaphors, albeit a little heavy handed at times. Not unlike Romero in that regard. By the end, you see the resolution coming, but it stays with you. Very well executed, and Flanigan continues to be one of my favorites working today!

And I'll second As Above So Below, one of the very few found footage films I've enjoyed! Bonus points for using music by Gyorgi Ligeti!

As to the discussion on contact haunts, yeah, that does sound pretty awful. I haven't been to any haunts this year, sadly. I used to go to every one in town, but haven't in ages. I do music and sound for a private haunt, so that takes up most of my time. I just realized that I've been doing this one for 11 years now!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Colossus in the Playground

Cracked has released an article (first of many, I'm sure) of horror movies. Here's my thoughts on what they've suggested:

VHS/VHS2: I know I've seen at least one of these, possibly both. Really good, recommend, but unfortunately I can't remember much specific.

Train To Busan: Freaking amazing. Highly recommend. Up there with Shaun of the Dead and Pontypool. If anyone knows how to get the animated companion film, let me know. I think Netflix has another movie by the same guy, a superhero movie, but I haven't watched it yet.

Creep/Creep 2: Seen the first one, not the second. I don't think I paid as much attention to it as I should have. I know it was unsettling, though.

I Saw The Devil: Never heard of it. This article really emphasises some connection to Oldboy, which I also haven't seen, but I don't quite understand what that is.

Backcountry: I think I thought about watching this, then looked at the synopsis on Wikipedia and noped out.

Emelie: Never heard of it, looks interesting.

Hush: Really excellent sorta-slasher. It's still on Australia Netflix, highly recommend it.

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer: Another one I've never heard of. Pleasantly surprised by how many of these I don't know, actually.
    The Collector/The Collection: Seen the first one, but not the second. It's pretty torture porny and I'm not into that, but it was a pretty good rendition of that genre. Been vaguely intending to try the second at some point.

The Host: Hands-down one of my favourite movies. Highly recommend. Also best bit: The creator (director?) was really annoyed by all these Western monster movies where you only see a glimpse of the creature the whole way through, and finally get a good look in the last like five minutes or whatever. So in his, you see the entire beast in the first 15 minutes. And then it gets better from there.

As Above So Below sounds good, I'll have to check it out. From the description here, I'd suggest if you like it you might like The Tunnel, the Australian movie. It was filmed on-location in the tunnels it's about, themselves. And it was a crowdfunded movie, but it only got like 1/10th of what they were hoping for, so it had an incredibly tight budget. I feel like that kinda worked in their favour, though.
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2018-10-28 at 08:32 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Who is interested in the movie being released on Friday, October 19, 2018? Here's a poem about him:

In Haddonfield, Illinois,
    Is where he can be seen.
    He waits to do his killings,
    On the nights of Halloween.

He uses a large kitchen knife.
    Kill his family…That’s his plan.
    His name is Michael Myers.
    AKA the Boogeyman!

In 1963,
    On Halloween at night,
    The parents of Judith,
    Were in for a fright.
    Their son, in a clown costume,
    Killed one sister dead.
    Thirty-five years later,
    The other chopped off his head.

But it really wasn’t him,
    That Laurie Strode done in.
    Instead, a paramedic. And now,
    Michael’s loose again.

Every Halloween, I guess,
    That everyone is,
    Entitled to one scare. Let’s hope,
    The scaring isn’t his!
    Minor point of order....

Spoiler
    Show
    For the new movie in question Laurie and Michael are not related. The relationship was added in Halloween 2, and this movie ignores that one. Heck, as was pointed out on Honest trailers this is the 3rd "Halloween 2" depending on how you count them.

In other news, I saw Master Pancake in Austin (think MST3K) do the original Halloween. It is SCARY how well the theme music from 9-5 works in Halloween....
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    Heck, as was pointed out on Honest trailers this is the 3rd "Halloween 2" depending on how you count them.
    That puts them on equal footing with Universal Soldier.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Cracked has released an article (first of many, I'm sure) of horror movies. Here's my thoughts on what they've suggested:

I Saw The Devil: Never heard of it. This article really emphasises some connection to Oldboy, which I also haven't seen, but I don't quite understand what that is.

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer: Another one I've never heard of. Pleasantly surprised by how many of these I don't know, actually.
    The actor who played the "hero" of Oldboy plays one of the villains in I Saw the Devil. Both films are about how the need for revenge turns people into monsters as bad or worse than the targets of their revenge.

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer is a love it or hate it film. It's based loosely off the crimes of serial killers Henry Lee Lucas and Otis Toole. Henry the character is a drifter who takes a former prison buddy (Otis) under his wing and shows him how to murder people. Not for money or revenge, but just as something to do. It's not as explicit as modern slashers but is generally far more disturbing.
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

25. - Top - End - #85

Has anyone seen those youtube videos where they make fake trailers for normal movies that make them look like horror films

Mary Poppins as a horror film
    Mary Poppins as a horror film again
    Mrs.Doubtfire as a horror film

or fake trailers for horror films that make them look like family movies

The Shining as a family movie
    IT as a family movie

Omegaupdate Forum

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Has anyone seen those youtube videos where they make fake trailers for normal movies that make them look like horror films

IT as a family movie
    You forgot:
    Must Love Jaws
    Willy Wonka as Horror
    Silence of the Lambs as Rom Com
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

The "different genre" trailers for Zootopia work particularly well, but that's because Zootopia actually is all of those genres. But I'm starting to lose track of the actual topic here.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    And of course, don't forget Christopher Robin....

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

Minor point of order....

Spoiler
    Show
    For the new movie in question Laurie and Michael are not related. The relationship was added in Halloween 2, and this movie ignores that one.
    I watched the latest Halloween in theaters -- and I liked it. It had the feel like the ones I enjoy. Also, there was plenty of "Easter eggs" in this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post

IT as a family movie
    You forgot:
    Must Love Jaws
    Willy Wonka as Horror
    Silence of the Lambs as Rom Com
    And of course, don't forget Christopher Robin....
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    The "different genre" trailers for Zootopia work particularly well, but that's because Zootopia actually is all of those genres. But I'm starting to lose track of the actual topic here.
    I've seen so many of those! I don't even remember which ones I've seen and haven't seen. Many aren't as good (in my opinion), though.
    End of line.

End of line.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I watched the latest Halloween in theaters -- and I liked it. It had the feel like the ones I enjoy. Also, there was plenty of "Easter eggs" in this one!
    Agreed. I finally saw it this past Friday. A worthy installment in the franchise.

One thing they did that surprised me though....

Spoiler: Spoiler for the movie
    Show
    I'm trying to remember the last time I saw a grown up slasher actually kill a real child (not the high school junior/senior played by a 22 year old) on screen. The Rob Zombie remake had young Michael kill another kid, but I can't think of the last time we saw an adult kill a kid.