New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    I just don't know why they haven't invented a more convenient way to transport pizza other than a large, cumbersome box. I mean, even Back to the Future 2 had dehydrated pizza, and that took place in the near future of 2015.
    Apropos?

What we have here ... is a failure of imagination.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Barbarian in the Playground

Unrelated question: why hasn't the Chief (or any authority in the story) ever considered Danica needs training to handle herself, with and without powers?
    Sure she is powerful but not invincible and even guys like Black Hole Bill and Roarboar have the skill to present a threat given enough weaponry.
    Last edited by faustin; 2018-12-12 at 04:57 AM.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Titan in the Playground

Because she is only useful as long as she has powers and her powers make her invincible

I'm not sure how I feel about today's comic. The music seems very on the nose but apart from that it feels fine. Of course the music is the big thing in the comic (especially after the last arc)
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

4. - Top - End - #904
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by faustin View Post
    Unrelated question: why hasn't the Chief (or any authority in the story) ever considered Danica needs training to handle herself, with and without powers?
    The answer to that is obvious, isn't it?
    What is already perfect doesn't need training.

Every time we learned that she wasn't perfect before it's because she is perfect now after her latest upgrade. She acquired Mitch, a stardrive, the Zel Gux archive, the Star Force repository, the centurion upgrade. For some of these achievements, she needed to have an adventure, most were in the SP package to begin with and were revealed as time went by. And some were scheduled downloads that she received just in time to be equipped for the current arc.

The Meta answer is that Mookie might think training is overrated. All characters always can already do what they need to do in the story. Else, they would not be introduced. So, Dominic and Luna never needed training. Just like Mookie never needed lessons or training in storytelling.
    Last edited by Onyavar; 2018-12-12 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Including the question to my answer; reworked the ranting

5. - Top - End - #905

You know, considering SP is heavily inspired in Green Lantern, Mookie could have remembered Hal Jordan was a member of the Air Force even before his intensive training in Oa.

Danica is an astronomer, a civilian; yet none in the Government or Galactic Defence has ever stopped to think "hey, maybe our girl should get a bit of military workout before sending her alone to warzones in outside worlds"?
    Nope, just trust in the Force Mitch and everything will be fine.
    Last edited by faustin; 2018-12-12 at 03:37 PM.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by faustin View Post
    Sure she is powerful but not invincible and even guys like Black Hole Bill and Roarboar have the skill to present a threat given enough weaponry.
    Wasn't this the point behind "the Traveler" arc?
    Of course, nothing came out of it, but still...

7. - Top - End - #907
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Wasn't this the point behind "the Traveler" arc?
    Of course, nothing came out of it, but still...
    I dont think so, she was there to basically do the travellers work for them and make everything easier. So naturally her first stop is a planet enmeshed in a race war thats been going for generations.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #908
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I dont think so, she was there to basically do the travellers work for them and make everything easier. So naturally her first stop is a planet enmeshed in a race war thats been going for generations.
    No, here it is, the only time someone had sense to try and teach her something.

Of course, it didn't really go that way because Danica's upgrade just happened to finish, just happened to include a communication upgrade, and heard a distress signal from a planet that just happened to be the one connected to the gate she found in the previous chapters.
    So now, the ship where she is supposed to learn is stuck for repairs.

Of course, she can continue the same classes somewhere else (like an academy, something that would make more sense anyway), but let's ignore that...

9. - Top - End - #909

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    No, here it is, the only time someone had sense to try and teach her something.

Of course, it didn't really go that way because Danica's upgrade just happened to finish, just happened to include a communication upgrade, and heard a distress signal from a planet that just happened to be the one connected to the gate she found in the previous chapters.
    So now, the ship where she is supposed to learn is stuck for repairs.

Of course, she can continue the same classes somewhere else (like an academy, something that would make more sense anyway), but let's ignore that...
    Yes, instead of teaching her she then spent lord knows how long doing exactly what they were originally going to teach her to avoid. She was going off to various planets, overthrowing warlords, making contact, etc etc etc. Its like they said, "Well, we tried, lets just have her go off and do whatever until the ship is fixed."

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #910

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie
    This was a very different story for us to tell in terms of subject and pacing. We got to see different aspects of well-known characters; from Danica’s impulsive side to Dr. Brightman’s sultry side.
    Hands up, who's been reading a different comic to this guy?

Full post:http://www.starpowercomic.com/closing-out-the-year/
    Last edited by Durkoala; 2018-12-14 at 11:22 AM.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

11. - Top - End - #911

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    Hands up, who's been reading a different comic to this guy?
    Hand is up.

Star Power Holiday Special (we went with that name after all), a mini-comic written and drawn by yours truly
    The Horror is imminent in the cover page already. I will stay away from Star Powers for the next two weeks.

12. - Top - End - #912

Beholder

*raises hand*

Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post
    Hand is up.

The Horror is imminent in the cover page already. I will stay away from Star Powers for the next two weeks.
    But I made popcorn!
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

13. - Top - End - #913
    Ogre in the Playground

Raises both hands.

But let's put that aside for the special!

Here are some possible plot lines:

1) Burke wishes he did not exist, and an angel in the form of Danica takes him to a version of the universe without him.

2) The gang wants a christmas tree, but they are on a space station, so what will they do?
    They plan to put ornaments on the plant alien, but he tells them that he is Jewish and teaches them about Hanuka candles.

3) Danica's clone, still flooded with frustration and pain, runs away to the planet "North-Polia", where she meets an alien that harnesses her power to lead his spaceship in ultra speed so he can give presents. He names her Rulfa the red eyed clone.

So add a few more, we'll vote on the best option and then be disappointed together by the actual story.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Ogre in the Playground

...wut?._.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

15. - Top - End - #915
    Titan in the Playground

Mookie apparently decided on... I'm not sure what is going on there.

Can we bring back Bill and give him a Scrooge style story where his ship comes back to haunt him and he sees what happens to him if he continues to be a ****? Only the twist is he likes being a **** and murders the ship again.

Or we learn about alien Christmas, because clearly all intergalactic species must celebrate something like Christmas. Right?

Or we have a story about Danica learning from Mitch it's the Starpower's job to use her superpowers to bring presents to her quadrant but since she is the only one left, she must handle the whole galaxy.
    "What's done is done."

16. - Top - End - #916

Beholder

That last panel is a methaphor for Mookie writing things.
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Can we bring back Bill and give him a Scrooge style story where his ship comes back to haunt him and he sees what happens to him if he continues to be a ****? Only the twist is he likes being a **** and murders the ship again.
    This one would actually be really funny. You got me to laugh out loud just from your description.

I guess mookie decided on a different direction. The one where I can only tell what's happening in one out of three panels.

18. - Top - End - #918

Too be fair, alien christmas isnt all that improbable. I mean pretty much every human civilization has at least some form of end of year celebration. No they dont all have santa in them but a lot of the principles remain. So learning that most alien cultures have some form of old fashioned way to ring in the new year wouldnt shock me. What would shock me is if there was no problem with integrating the various calendars together to make them match up galaxy wide. I mean we already have chinese new year to throw things off. Imagine how that works when the length of an actual year is different, let alone when they decide to celebrate the start of their yearly period.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Firbolg in the Playground

That's some seriously organic wine.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

20. - Top - End - #920
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I mean we already have chinese new year to throw things off. Imagine how that works when the length of an actual year is different, let alone when they decide to celebrate the start of their yearly period.
    There are three major calendars. Gregorian, Lunar and Lunisolar. Depending, of course, on region and religion.

We have enough fun coordinating those three. And some with ... unfortunate implications. Look up when the Islamic new year is this year.

Or Imam Ali, 2009.

Edit: Also, Alien Wine is -SLURM-. And it has a good nose.
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2018-12-17 at 11:32 AM.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

21. - Top - End - #921
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

They fricking spelt Schubert wrong.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a: Chaotic Good Human Bard(14th Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength-10
    Dexterity-15
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-6
    Wisdom-9
    Charisma-23

22. - Top - End - #922
    Ogre in the Playground

So this is going to be the special? Just Danica's pre-holiday shopping spree?
    I can get just as much if I sit and watch a random shopping mall (plus, there might be more weird looking aliens there)

Still, at least I get to guess which side character gets which present.
    The old record is obviously for Brightman (pity there wasn't a Hymn record, just for fun)
    I'm guessing the wine is for Burke, because nothing says passive aggressive anger like a bottle of alcoholic alien snot.
    Not sure what the rest of the things are.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Ogre in the Playground

What kind of super hipster still uses records in the sci-fi future? That'd be like me listening to someone hit a rock with a stick.

24. - Top - End - #924

Beholder

What kind of super hipster still uses records in the sci-fi future? That'd be like me listening to someone hit a rock with a stick.
    A few years Venyl was a rare and outdated format. Now its back again.

And don't forget Mookie is an Super Ultra Hipster himself.

25. - Top - End - #925
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    A few years Venyl was a rare and outdated format. Now its back again.

And don't forget Mookie is an Super Ultra Hipster himself.
    It's only back because of hipsters. It's still outdated, and it'll be even more outdated a thousand years from now.

I think Mookie is more of a pretend hipster. He likes things that hipsters like because they're "popular," but he doesn't really genuinely enjoy them or understand why they're "popular." At least, that's the impression I get from him.

26. - Top - End - #926

Beholder

It's only back because of hipsters. It's still outdated, and it'll be even more outdated a thousand years from now.

I think Mookie is more of a pretend hipster. He likes things that hipsters like because they're "popular," but he doesn't really genuinely enjoy them or understand why they're "popular." At least, that's the impression I get from him.
    So mookie is a hipster hipster?

27. - Top - End - #927
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    So mookie is a hipster hipster?
    Lol, I suppose so.

28. - Top - End - #928

Well as I have heard from musicians, waveforms from a vinyl recording can be more accurate than their digital counterparts. The main problem is preventing, or rather slowling, the disc degradation. Specially in the far, far future.
    Last edited by faustin; 2018-12-19 at 02:30 AM.

29. - Top - End - #929
    Titan in the Playground

Well, so I'm going to guess that after Danica has given gifts to everyone next comic will be her sad and disappointed alone at home because she didn't get anything, and the one after that her friends showing up giving her presents?
    Or am I thinking too clichéd?
    "What's done is done."

30. - Top - End - #930

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Well, so I'm going to guess that after Danica has given gifts to everyone next comic will be her sad and disappointed alone at home because she didn't get anything, and the one after that her friends showing up giving her presents?
    Or am I thinking too clichéd?
    Either that or only Burke will show up with a gift so they can share shawls.