New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    After he flirted with her previously? Yeah, that's not going to annoy Star Power in any way. Women love it when you jerk around their friends in completely obvious ways right in front of both parties. How is this man a super villain again?
    I think Hymn is not supposed to be a subtle manipulative villain, instead he is supposed to be someone used to get what he wants simply because he is rich and famous.

That being said, I wish the comic would spend a little more time in establishing what I just wrote.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    I think Hymn is not supposed to be a subtle manipulative villain, instead he is supposed to be someone used to get what he wants simply because he is rich and famous.

That being said, I wish the comic would spend a little more time in establishing what I just wrote.

Hm, I'm not sure how subtle he's supposed to be. Publicly, he's got the super-talented musician thing, which means some bad manners can be written off as 'eccentric'. He does know to hide the really creepy/murdery stuff. And he basically runs a cult. That implies a level of charisma and social skills, though entitlement may be the motive.
    Playing Terae Leaf, Shadow Puppets campaign IC / OOC/char sheet

3. - Top - End - #183
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroiaSD View Post
    Hm, I'm not sure how subtle he's supposed to be. Publicly, he's got the super-talented musician thing, which means some bad manners can be written off as 'eccentric'. He does know to hide the really creepy/murdery stuff. And he basically runs a cult. That implies a level of charisma and social skills, though entitlement may be the motive.
    As of now though we may have to wonder if he DOES run a cult or if its just a clone lab where he is constantly working to create the perfect harmony by genetic engineering. Which is why he can slaughter them with impunity. They arent "real" people so they wont be missed. Im honestly just waiting for the shoe to drop. Someone does something unforgivable imperfect and sets him off. I get the feeling its sort of like an actual psychological trigger for him, he just cant freaking handle anything not being "perfect" or at least, can only stand a certain level of dysfunction before he has a melt down. Like, this entire arc? He isnt a criminal mastermind with a dark plot to use danica for. He is exactly what he seems like, a perfectionist who cant tolerate anything else who wanted to meet the famous star power. Its just going to fall apart when burke starts humming sweet child o mine off key and sends him into a homicidal rage.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Firbolg in the Playground

There will be a new colorist for issues 23 and 24. I'm curious of who that will be, and how it will look like.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, that couch cushion just got soggy.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Well, that couch cushion just got soggy.
    Ew... I mean, yeah, probably. But also Ew.

At least the threat of Correia (is this a real name?) getting jealousy becoming more important is diminished which makes me very happy.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    As of now though we may have to wonder if he DOES run a cult or if its just a clone lab where he is constantly working to create the perfect harmony by genetic engineering. Which is why he can slaughter them with impunity. They arent "real" people so they wont be missed. Im honestly just waiting for the shoe to drop. Someone does something unforgivable imperfect and sets him off. I get the feeling its sort of like an actual psychological trigger for him, he just cant freaking handle anything not being "perfect" or at least, can only stand a certain level of dysfunction before he has a melt down. Like, this entire arc? He isnt a criminal mastermind with a dark plot to use danica for. He is exactly what he seems like, a perfectionist who cant tolerate anything else who wanted to meet the famous star power. Its just going to fall apart when burke starts humming sweet child o mine off key and sends him into a homicidal rage.
    Hymn has to have SOME level of self restraint.
    Since every guest he invites has security personal with him, he can't get angry by every little mistake.

My guess is that his rage is limited to his subordinates (regardless if they are clones, slaves or regular employees)

8. - Top - End - #188

Hymn has to have SOME level of self restraint.
    Since every guest he invites has security personal with him, he can't get angry by every little mistake.

My guess is that his rage is limited to his subordinates (regardless if they are clones, slaves or regular employees)
    Well yeah, but an off key sweet child o mine hum session will crack him like a walnut under an elephant.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

You're probably right, but I don't think the comic makes this clear enough. Correia is the only one to have gone full sploosh over him after all, we're just told he's super famous.

As of now though we may have to wonder if he DOES run a cult or if its just a clone lab where he is constantly working to create the perfect harmony by genetic engineering. Which is why he can slaughter them with impunity. They arent "real" people so they wont be missed. Im honestly just waiting for the shoe to drop.
    Wasn't Starpower's father a musician? I'm getting the feeling that Traab might be right...

Through I really don't know how much of musical talent is really genetic versus upbringing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    You're probably right, but I don't think the comic makes this clear enough. Correia is the only one to have gone full sploosh over him after all, we're just told he's super famous.

Wasn't Starpower's father a musician? I'm getting the feeling that Traab might be right...

Through I really don't know how much of musical talent is really genetic versus upbringing.
    Well, with all the comics faults, I'll say it did a decent enough job establishing Hymn as famous. Of course if this was planned out longer we'd known about that obsession before this arc but... Oh well.

I think her former boyfriends were.. Not sure, maybe they and he, too? Could be, too lazy to check..

I think nobody knows.
    "What's done is done."

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

What the heck are they even trying to achieve with their silly sampling? Replicate Danica / make Hymn a StarPower? The way this is going I predict a rock singing 3-headed being to emerge from the secret lab and glomp Hymn for a kissing session.

Edit to add - it will fondle a hand telescope behind its back with its extra appendages and whisper 'My Precious!' into Hymn's mouth.
    Last edited by guttering flame; 2018-04-09 at 02:47 AM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

I'm almost afraid to learn what Hymms deal is. Worried that it will be more mundane than what we can think of.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe he's going to do a "Superman 4" and create an evil a PERFECT starpower?

Or maybe it's just as innocent as using the DNA to match the perfect meal for each guest.

14. - Top - End - #194

Since the sewers are a maze, they don't know who peed in the shower. So now they are taking their DNA from the glasses and cross-checking with the pee.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Since the sewers are a maze, they don't know who peed in the shower. So now they are taking their DNA from the glasses and cross-checking with the pee.
    The sewers were a maze to confuse the readers. Obviously the owner knows which shower leads to which device (actually, it was the one straight above it in each case).
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe we got this whole thing wrong and this is a all a very confusing party game popular in space future.
    Last edited by Welf; 2018-04-09 at 01:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Or this is a very elaborated prank that will end with "Made you drink your shower water!"

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Or this is a very elaborated prank that will end with "Made you drink your shower water!"
    At this point this seems like my favorite result...
    Cloning could be a thing but it seems somewhat dated. And given the Starpower is a tech, pointless.
    Maybe he's just a collector....
    "What's done is done."

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That look on Hymn's face...
    As if he has something nasty under his nose.
    I think Burke making him snap isn't impossible.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    That look on Hymn's face...
    As if he has something nasty under his nose.
    I think Burke making him snap isn't impossible.
    Yeah, the joke isn't too surprising but decently delivered.
    But.. Is this the new artist or what is up with the art shift between panels? Is it just meant to be different lighting?
    "What's done is done."

21. - Top - End - #201
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

For some reason I started to follow Star Power more regularly after Hymn showed up.

I don't know what Freebird is but I can tell Hymns opinion of it.

What are our chances Burke is the master singer of the group? (Much to Hymn's dismay?)

22. - Top - End - #202

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Yeah, the joke isn't too surprising but decently delivered.
    But.. Is this the new artist or what is up with the art shift between panels? Is it just meant to be different lighting?
    Good question, my impression is that there was some problem with the art, be it incomplete or with the wrong layer order. Hymn has light in his face in panel 1, so it doesn't make sense for everything to be shadowed later, unless it's natural light and a cloud is passing over the sun. The colorist should come in the next issue.

23. - Top - End - #203

24. - Top - End - #204

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    For some reason I started to follow Star Power more regularly after Hymn showed up.

I don't know what Freebird is but I can tell Hymns opinion of it.

What are our chances Burke is the master singer of the group? (Much to Hymn's dismay?)
    Freebird is one of those songs thats stupidly popular with fans of the group that created it. So stupidly popular, even the band despises playing it. Understandably so. Hymn might even be able to sympathize.

"How many songs have you written would you say?"

"Oh, about 347 I believe."

"Impressive! Now imagine that your audience only wants to hear one of them. Just that one song. Thats all they care about, all they request. And they do it forever. Year after year, decade after decade. Every concert, every appearance, all they do is shout for one song and dont care about the rest. Your entire career, this one song is all you are known for, all you will be remembered for. Its so common its actually a joke in the industry. And to top it all off, its not even a song you think is very good."

"Sounds like a case for justifiable homicide/suicide. Not sure which."

Heh, as a side note, its kinda amusing just how many classic rock era songs are like this. Absurdly popular, and despised by the group that made it, usually because its either a song they threw together last minute, or because everyone misses the actual meaning of the song.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Freebird is one of those songs thats stupidly popular with fans of the group that created it. So stupidly popular, even the band despises playing it. Understandably so. Hymn might even be able to sympathize.

"How many songs have you written would you say?"

"Oh, about 347 I believe."

"Impressive! Now imagine that your audience only wants to hear one of them. Just that one song. Thats all they care about, all they request. And they do it forever. Year after year, decade after decade. Every concert, every appearance, all they do is shout for one song and dont care about the rest. Your entire career, this one song is all you are known for, all you will be remembered for. Its so common its actually a joke in the industry. And to top it all off, its not even a song you think is very good."

"Sounds like a case for justifiable homicide/suicide. Not sure which."

Heh, as a side note, its kinda amusing just how many classic rock era songs are like this. Absurdly popular, and despised by the group that made it, usually because its either a song they threw together last minute, or because everyone misses the actual meaning of the song.
    Don't forget the people who call out that one song at every other concert that the band isn't even playing at, just to drive the nail in ever further.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

26. - Top - End - #206
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

I do wonder on what Freebird is like in the consiousness by that point... the widespread popularity explains why it's remembered, but it wouldn't be a joke any more, I think it's more something that music historians would comment "And for some time, it was even a running joke...".
    Playing Terae Leaf, Shadow Puppets campaign IC / OOC/char sheet

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

I do wonder on what Freebird is like in the consiousness by that point... the widespread popularity explains why it's remembered, but it wouldn't be a joke any more, I think it's more something that music historians would comment "And for some time, it was even a running joke...".
    There were a few jokes along those lines in Star Trek IV movie (where they go back in time to the 20th century)

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

It's a nice song, but it ain't "Stairway to Heaven".
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

29. - Top - End - #209

If I had been Mookie, I'd have chosen "Call me Maybe".

30. - Top - End - #210

If I had been Mookie, I'd have chosen "Call me Maybe".
    FRIDAY, FRIDAY! Too soon?