New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Biggest tabletop system pet peeves

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Or the flip side "You're being irrational" or "your reasoning is asinine"... certain people in "my circle" are notorious for using that as a dismissive way of saying "I disagree with your conclusions" or "I think your subjective priorities are wrong compared to my subjective priorities".
    Or "Intellectually Dishonest". Like the term "Bad DM", It also says more about the person using it than the person they're directing it at.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Or the flip side "You're being irrational" or "your reasoning is asinine"... certain people in "my circle" are notorious for using that as a dismissive way of saying "I disagree with your conclusions" or "I think your subjective priorities are wrong compared to my subjective priorities".

These people have that lovely habit of using "logic" to argue positions that are plainly false based on observable facts, and doing their damnedest to demand and then distort/misrepresent other people's "premises"... to the point that it probably explains why I cringe away every time someone says "what are your premises?"
    I don't like when people say someone is "closed minded". That's a meaningless term. Someone who is closed minded is only guilty of disagreeing with the person who said he was closed minded. If the person was open minded then obviously he would agree with the person who accused him of being closed minded.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Banned

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Cluedrew View Post
    You know I don't know a lot about Apocalypse World 2e (I know one move it added (I think) from 1e) to actually comment on this, but it reminds me of one of my... tabletop criticism pet peeves.

Over use of the word objective.

The worst cases are when people just stick it in front of a statement that... really it has nothing to do with objectivity. Or if it does, according so some standard that was never clarified. "This is objectively a bad mechanic." OK according to balance, ease of use, accuracy, scaling... your taste?

And even if it is used properly it actually kind of weakens the argument because the final goal of most role-playing games is to have fun. Which is very defiantly a subjective thing, you need the subject to have any hope of getting a result. Yes you can generalize across subjects, but none of these things will be universal (see Quertus being bigger on trans-campaign characters than anyone else it this thread) so none of them are entirely of the object. Objective things are like rules, dates and numbers, none of which can really cover the actual quality of a system or rule.
    Yes, forgive me. That's a way of exaggerating that I find amusing. Specifically, making an obviously subjective argument and using "objectively."

Such as today, when a player was deciding which song title to use as a pun for a FATE stunt where one of several gods living in her head can just pilot her body to success once per game.
    Of the options, the song "Jesus take the wheel" was, in my words, "objectively the best choice."

Though the Threat Map is a lot less convenient for everything except physical, geographical location. It is harder to subdivide larger fronts into individual threats to be managed just because you have less space. (Fronts could be several pages. The threat map is one page, unless you want to juggle two near-identical pages and remember which threats are on which map.

Now, a fusion between those two could work really well! But the Fronts system is more robust. Since AW wants to have lots of threats running around, having more room for them is important, and their positions relative to the players are not actually all that important, mechanically.

Basically, it's discordant where Fronts are harmonious with stated intentions of the system.

But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

A collection of my pet peeves come up in Shadowrun and how it handles character creation and skills.
    The build points at character creation are valued different from in play (pet peeve number 1). I mean why do this it’s just stupid.
    Second all people (we are told) are assumed to be proficient with skills they don’t have ranks in, they have skill0 at say computing or car driving. Yet the mechanics of this are if you don’t have the skill you roll attribute -2 (pet peeve number two)
    So starting the game we have two character both wanting to be the same general concept.

One starts with
    Pistols 4
    Car 1
    Computer 1

Guy two has
    Pistols 6.

Now let’s spend Karma (shadowruns XP) to balance them out

We want them at
    Pistols 6
    Car 1
    Computer 1

So that costs guy one 22 karma (increase pistols from 4 to 5, then from 5 to 6)
    It costs guy two 2 Karma (two new skills at 1)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Milo - I know what you are thinking Ork, has he fired 5 shots or 6, well as this is a wand of scorching ray, the most powerful second level wand in the world. What you have to ask your self is "Do I feel Lucky", well do you, Punk.
    Galkin - Erm Milo, wands have 50 charges not 6.
    Milo - NEATO !!
    BLAST

5. - Top - End - #245
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    IME, GMs who "care about their setting" don't like aliens from their setting. Better, IME, to be an alien from outside their setting. Much less hard feelings that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    If it ever comes out that one of my characters that is actually a deity is a deity, then they have failed.

If the deity actually brought their divine power to bear, then they'd have to contend with other deities, and it'd get messy.

I'm playing a stat block that is appropriate for the game, but the driving personality is actually one of my deities.

Because it is so much easier (for me, at least) to come up with a stat block than with an interesting personality for me to explore.
    If you would play at my table, you could actually get someone who is foreign to the setting's world. He could have the same personality as your Quertus. But what you can't have is playing a god pretending to be a mortal. That would result in getting the character killed. Not because I am mean, evil GM. But because there is a power play at stake, with the PCs direct involvement and gods are forbidden to interfere directly. Alone the presence of your character would influence the outcome and cause the automatic loss of one side. So you die as punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    But those qualifiers make the statement's meaning profoundly different. Being told "you can't do that, the DM said no" is railroading or at least something vaguely similar. Being told "you can't do that, we (a group that includes you) agreed that people can't do that" isn't.
    Why can't a group railroad and one person be completely fair?
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

That was one of the things I desperately wanted to fix about the oWoD system... the complete disconnect between character creation and the expenditure of experience once the game started.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Earthwalker View Post
    A collection of my pet peeves come up in Shadowrun and how it handles character creation and skills.
    The build points at character creation are valued different from in play (pet peeve number 1). I mean why do this it’s just stupid.
    Second all people (we are told) are assumed to be proficient with skills they don’t have ranks in, they have skill0 at say computing or car driving. Yet the mechanics of this are if you don’t have the skill you roll attribute -2 (pet peeve number two)
    These also apply to Hollow Earth Expedition. Like I've said, I love that system, but the character generation rules involve first doing basic generation then spending a bit of XP on additional customization. This lets you have two nigh identical starting characters, one of whom just has all the skills, talents, attributes, etc. of the other and then a little more on top of that. It's trivially easy to minimize costs and avoid this issue, but it's also a bit annoying.

Pet peeve number two doesn't bug me at all, but it's there. On the other hand, really easy tasks are going to be at a low enough difficulty to make anyways, and when it comes to actually difficult tasks people can screw up the culturally expected skills just fine. I've seen enough hilariously bad driving* and computer use to find the Shadowrun approach reasonable.

*California and Texas plates show up a lot in Colorado. Come winter they're mostly found in ditches.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post
    Why can't a group railroad and one person be completely fair?
    I'm not going to dispute that you could have a DM who had total authority and nonetheless made fair decisions. Obviously that's possible. But that doesn't make it "not railroading" then that DM makes a decision that is unfair.

Railroading is bad precisely because it privileges one persons vision for the game disproportionately over others. By having the group decide, you remove that failure case.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm not going to dispute that you could have a DM who had total authority and nonetheless made fair decisions. Obviously that's possible. But that doesn't make it "not railroading" then that DM makes a decision that is unfair.

Railroading is bad precisely because it privileges one persons vision for the game disproportionately over others. By having the group decide, you remove that failure case.
    You don´t have a clue what railroading really is, so you misuse the word.

But ok, shift the disproportionate account of workload that the gm has to handle over to the group and we talk.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    But ok, shift the disproportionate account of workload that the gm has to handle over to the group and we talk.
    This has always been a bad excuse.

If the DM gets more say because they did more work, the player who dumpster dived to get a min-maxed character deserves more say for the extra work they did.

Do people believe this?

11. - Top - End - #251
    Bugbear in the Playground

This has always been a bad excuse.

If the DM gets more say because they did more work, the player who dumpster dived to get a min-maxed character deserves more say for the extra work they did.

Do people believe this?
    That isn't a good analogy. The GM does a lot of work just to keep the game running. This work is for the benefit for the entire group. The player invests his time solely for the benefit of his build.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

Personally I don't like that measure for a couple of reasons:
    • It assumes that the work done outside of game by the GM approaches that done during the game (otherwise it would be equal). To me that is a very preparation heavy game, and so is not true of all systems or games.
    • It assumes that players are not significantly contributing a game. An assumption I would rather discourage, that is I would rather encourage everyone to contribute. And if they do, how do you account for that?
    • I can't speak for others, but I world build for fun, and see no reason why that deserves some extra reward.
    • Even accounting for the above, games that have been shaped in notable ways by most people around the table have just been more fun than those shaped just by the GM. And I have found that to be true as the GM as well (smaller sample for that though).

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not particularly fond of point-buying, specifically in D&D. It seems that's a problem in Shadowrun, though I've never played it. But even in 5e, a lot of stats require decent scores to be effective using them. The problem is that point-buy is not the equalizer it was meant to be. Instead, it either makes it impossible to have a warrior who can do something other than fight, or it means you'll have enough points that the wizard is nearly as strong, dexterous, and tough as the fighter, as well as being smarter. This was even worse in 3.5. When it comes to D&D, I'll always prefer rolling and then making a character based off that, because if I roll well, that's a perfect opportunity to play a character who depends on multiple stats and if I don't, well, I like playing casters too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

I've started to be significantly annoyed by several things in modern gaming over the last few years.

1. The Red Queen's Race. No matter how much your character advances they never seem to get better at doing their job. Normally found in level based games where attacks, defense, damage, etc., etc., scales with level for every meaningful action the characters take. Sure you can pretty up the descriptions and increase the numbers, but if you have a 80% chance to climb a cliff, lose 25% of your health if you fail, and fight a monster where you have a 75% chance to hit, it has a 50% chance to hit... your character has not really advanced. You can put all the flowery description and big numbers on stuff that you like, but if you're doing the same stuff at the same success rate it's not advancement... it's increased word count.

2. "You leveled up? That's a -1 to Will saves". As your character "advances" they get worse at stuff. Often found near #1 when your character isn't getting better at things but all the target numbers keep going up. It's epitomized in D&D 5e where the DCs of all the saves go up as the characters level up, but only 2 of a character's 6 saves get to increase. Often games that use stealth and perception as opposing skills, and don't allow every character to advance them at the same rate and opportunity cost, will end up with characters that can't make any "level appropriate" rolls.

3. Games where PC and NPCs/monsters are set up so differently that hiring an assistant, or getting a trained animal, or having someone switch sides in a combat, cannot be allowed to happen because it breaks something. D&D 4e did this one really well and Pazio's Starfinder pushes it pretty hard too. Typically it's a combat thing where PCs have high to-hit, or damage, or armor because players like that sort of thing. So monsters get designed to hit the PCs, get hit, and have lots of hit points. Then when someone bribes an ogre to fight along side the party or decides to throw in with the bad guys for love and money they end up being either hilariously underpowered or rocket-tag death beserkers.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    It seems that's a problem in Shadowrun, though I've never played it.
    They've actually found a very good solution to this, the priority tables (and the alternative "sum to 10").
    You've got to assign each category (race, attributes and so on) a priority from A to E and that will generate the build points you have for that category (so priority A Wizard will get a Magic rating of 6, 5 spells and 3 points in the magic skill group, while priority B will get you a Magic rating of 4, 3 spells and 2 points). SR has a different problem, tho, that comes up in really long campaigns or when the gm hands out too much Karma: "Mundanes" will reach a hard cap due to Essence, while "Magicals" are potentially open ended in development.

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    1. The Red Queen's Race. No matter how much your character advances they never seem to get better at doing their job. Normally found in level based games where attacks, defense, damage, etc., etc., scales with level for every meaningful action the characters take. Sure you can pretty up the descriptions and increase the numbers, but if you have a 80% chance to climb a cliff, lose 25% of your health if you fail, and fight a monster where you have a 75% chance to hit, it has a 50% chance to hit... your character has not really advanced. You can put all the flowery description and big numbers on stuff that you like, but if you're doing the same stuff at the same success rate it's not advancement... it's increased word count.
    That's more a matter of "challenge"-based games, most noticeable in D&D. You´re expected to move from goblins, to orcs, to giants and so on, while keeping up the overall challenge of the game.
    Last edited by Florian; 2018-02-20 at 04:03 AM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

That's more a matter of "challenge"-based games, most noticeable in D&D. You´re expected to move from goblins, to orcs, to giants and so on, while keeping up the overall challenge of the game.
    For me this is a matter of how well you do it, i recall an d&d computer game expansion that had you at epic level, and for most of the expansion you were fighting stuff like legendary badgers who are just palate swapped badgers with bigger numbers, elite gnoll guard who were just gnolls with a fancy title instead of gnoll and "apprentice" wizards with 9th level spell.

The monsters had bigger numbers but they forgot to do the rest of the stuff to make you feel epic.
    Goblins, orcs and giants on the other hand would work because their a clear hierarchy of power here a fire giant is going to feel bigger and more powerful than an orc, and not just be an orc with bigger numbers on his sheet.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    I've started to be significantly annoyed by several things in modern gaming over the last few years.

Can get annoying - though not really a problem for systems without zero to hero style advancement. Otherwise even if the mechanics work like that (a bit lazy outside of lite systems) so long as you're still expected to fight the earlier foes consistently while taking on tougher ones (the mini-bosses becoming mooks) you still feel like you've advanced.

Yeah - that's a problem if they don't feel different to fight against. Actually - D&D (besides 4e) does a pretty good job of making them feel different. I have a whole theory about how the MM is a secret to D&D's success.