New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 2: I will endeavor to become a thread you can be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Its not litterally the goverment saying that.
    What they said was that he were a person who could look at the broader picture, and go for the long-term goals.
    Hawks says "What about the people who get hurt by what I'm doing. You expect me to turn a blind eye to that?" and the people with him, ordering him to do this, say "You can and will. That's why we came to you."

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but to me that's them saying "we came to you because ultimately, you're the type of guy who would be able to shrug that off". Again, this is probably a misunderstanding on my part, it feels less solid now writing it out like this.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 2: I will endeavor to become a thread you can be proud of

Hawks says "What about the people who get hurt by what I'm doing. You expect me to turn a blind eye to that?" and the people with him, ordering him to do this, say "You can and will. That's why we came to you."

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but to me that's them saying "we came to you because ultimately, you're the type of guy who would be able to shrug that off". Again, this is probably a misunderstanding on my part, it feels less solid now writing it out like this.
    My translation replied with "yes. we are asking this of you because we believe you are up to the task"
    And continues on to explain that you (Hawk) are not concerned with fame or prestice, and only focus on long term goals.

Thats not them saying they think he does not care.
    But instead that they trust he will do what he needs to even if it hurts doing so.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #333

My translation replied with "yes. we are asking this of you because we believe you are up to the task"
    And continues on to explain that you (Hawk) are not concerned with fame or prestice, and only focus on long term goals.

Thats not them saying they think he does not care.
    But instead that they trust he will do what he needs to even if it hurts doing so.
    You're reading a bad translation.

In the actual one they say "there won't be any accolades and glory in it for you. Focus on the long term."

4. - Top - End - #334
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, in any case, I don't think the govenrment guys expect Hawk not to care about eventual victims. They just expect him to care, but to go on with the plan anyways. After all, he managed to complete this first step without victims but he's still pretty shaken just from the extent of Endeavor's wounds.

I like to see this different, cold approach to heroing portrayed too. Especially from a guy who would just like to "patrol the streets a bit and then relax with a cup of tea" and finds himself in one of the most complicated and distasteful situations.
    Last edited by Cozzer; 2018-07-25 at 01:19 AM.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

You're reading a bad translation.

In the actual one they say "there won't be any accolades and glory in it for you. Focus on the long term."
    I actually think my translation is better. Its at least the one that makes the most sense.
    Because its what you would tell someone to take on a distasteful task like this, that have to be accepted willingly.

I like to see this different, cold approach to heroing portrayed too. Especially from a guy who would just like to "patrol the streets a bit and then relax with a cup of tea" and finds himself in one of the most complicated and distasteful situations.
    I do love this development. Hawk very clearly have a lot of trouble with it, because its just about as far from what he likes as you possibly can get.
    But unfortunately for him, it is also an extremely important task. That only he can do.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Bugbear in the Playground

But at the same time. Then That does not excuse him being a utter monster with god knows how many lifes on his concious.
    Yeah, cool motive, still murder.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

This might make me a terrible person but the Shoto's burn (pun not intended) made me laugh out loud.

Spoiler
    Show

Loads of stuff packed into this chapter...
    Endeavor interrogating Hawk. (thank you for being smart)
    Backstory on Hawk.
    Todoroki family life.
    Dabi's real name (?!)
    And to cap it off Midoriya suddenly has memories of his predecessors. Which is... A bit out of the blue? But got me curious.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

8. - Top - End - #338

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    This might make me a terrible person but the Shoto's burn (pun not intended) made me laugh out loud.

Spoiler
    Show

Loads of stuff packed into this chapter...
    Endeavor interrogating Hawk. (thank you for being smart)
    Backstory on Hawk.
    Todoroki family life.
    Dabi's real name (?!)
    And to cap it off Midoriya suddenly has memories of his predecessors. Which is... A bit out of the blue? But got me curious.
    A ton of stuff made me laugh on this one.

Spoiler
    Show
    Recovery Girl gives sweets to those she heals. She offers Endeavor a pez candy, one of those super ****ty barely flavored sugar tablets. A single pez. What a ****ing blade in the side.

****in'...in universe memes. When the anime hits this part WE MUST DO OUR PART. That was great.

But yeah, the actual story stuff here is REALLY good. And, importantly, assuages all fears I had for the Endeavor redemption arc. He's not getting an easy redemption. "We know what kind of hero you are, now what kind of Dad are you going to be". And yeah, Big Bro Toya is definitely Dabi's real name.

And we IMMEDIATELY segway into the next arc which is Deku finally coming into form with One For All. From the looks of it, the 20 percent he's capable of using means he's only showing up with a hand and the upper part of his head, which is cool and symbolic. But yeah this rules. I love this. I'm extremely into this and actually had a feeling this would be next.

9. - Top - End - #339

Some all might questions, sorry if this is obvious general knowledge ive missed. When training midoriya all might warns him that if he isnt in sufficient shape his body cant handle it and will basically explode. We see this is true throughout the series as he shatters himself constantly by going too far. But what about all might? I mean, outside of his muscle form, he is a beanpole, in terrible condition. Whats the deal with that? Is that body not his "real" one? Meaning its a side effect of the damage he took from all for one? Or did he somehow get a muscle form when he got the one for all quirk? And what about his predecessor? She is no way looks ripped enough to handle more than bare bones level of the one for all quirk without exploding.

On a semi related note, I cant be the only one who has a hard time picturing midoriya as an all might body builder level muscle head can I? lol
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #340

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Some all might questions, sorry if this is obvious general knowledge ive missed. When training midoriya all might warns him that if he isnt in sufficient shape his body cant handle it and will basically explode. We see this is true throughout the series as he shatters himself constantly by going too far. But what about all might? I mean, outside of his muscle form, he is a beanpole, in terrible condition. Whats the deal with that? Is that body not his "real" one? Meaning its a side effect of the damage he took from all for one? Or did he somehow get a muscle form when he got the one for all quirk? And what about his predecessor? She is no way looks ripped enough to handle more than bare bones level of the one for all quirk without exploding.

On a semi related note, I cant be the only one who has a hard time picturing midoriya as an all might body builder level muscle head can I? lol
    His beanpole form only looks like that due to age and physical damage. He's an old man who's lost half his internal organs. His muscle form only exists because that's what he just used to look like, normally. Now he has to willingly flex and hold it to keep it going. It's not really a "form" per-say, it's just him getting into position for a bit of violence. The smoke is probably part of One For All, because as we've seen just from looking at how All Might uses it vs how Deku uses it, everyone who gets One For All "uses it differently".

This is also why Deku took so long to learn how to make best use of it for himself. All Might was just a natural for him, using it was as easy as just flexing. It's why his training with Gran Torino was mostly getting his ass kicked. Deku's method of using the power is more like a crackling microwave, diffusing the power within him, so it takes on a more crackly, energy like appearance as it flows through his body. My guess is that Shimura and all the other holders of One For All all used it in different ways. Especially since THEY had Quirks, unlike All Might and Deku.

We get the occasional look at what that MIGHT look like due to Deku doing impressions of All Might. So it's not that hard to imagine...but it's also not a thing we're going to see, most likely.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Are we sure that previous All For One users had quirks? Why wouldn't those quirks have been transfered to the next one given that's technically the only thing All For One does?

I kind of thought that All For One had a history of being passed on to quirkless people.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2018-07-30 at 09:00 PM.

12. - Top - End - #342

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Are we sure that previous All For One users had quirks? Why wouldn't those quirks have been transfered to the next one given that's technically the only thing All For One does?

I kind of thought that All For One had a history of being passed on to quirkless people.
    It does not have a history of being passed down to quirkless people, and in fact given how prevalent quirks are it is surprising that at least two people on that list are quirkless, Deku and Toshinori. There is no reason to assume anyone who has the power is quirkless.

As for why their quirks didn't pass on, it's likely due to how One For All got his power in the first place. His quirk was "passing on my quirk" and it was mixed with the Power Gathering quirk All For One gave him, and became "Pass on my Gathered Power". All For One's power granting ability is mixes the new dna into yours to make it a perfect fit for your body, but that process mixes the quirks together. Meanwhile, Pass On is not a mixing, it is directly shoving that power into you in a way that your body has to be prepared to take on. Not a problem until the Power Gathering part powered it up to huge levels. As a result, it's separate from their natural quirks, and wouldn't be passed one since there is no mixing at all.

To put it a more simple way. One For All had a stick, and All For One lit it on fire, and it became a torch. One For All handed the torch to someone, and they carry it now.

As an aside, given we know quirks are genetic and Shigaraki has decaying hand powers...imagine what One For All empowered hand abilities Shimura might have. She touches someone and they explode into dust because it's The Poke Of God.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    As an aside, given we know quirks are genetic and Shigaraki has decaying hand powers...imagine what One For All empowered hand abilities Shimura might have. She touches someone and they explode into dust because it's The Poke Of God.
    And the Flying Fickle Finger of Fate goes to. . .

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

It does not have a history of being passed down to quirkless people, and in fact given how prevalent quirks are it is surprising that at least two people on that list are quirkless, Deku and Toshinori. There is no reason to assume anyone who has the power is quirkless.
    Well.. technically, we dont know anything about said history at all. Or whom it were given to. But we do know quirks were a lot less common in earlier generations.

We dont know if One for All can empower another quirk.
    for that matter, while Quirks are genetic, then they still twist, mix and mutate. And as her grandson Shigaraki is quite a bit removed from Shimura. There is a great chance she did not even have dust/decay power.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

I'll have to agree, I'm not sure how much of what Zodiac says is canon or Fan theory. We'll likely know a lot more once the movie is out. (so this weekend) at least about Toshinori's past.

That said, I'm sure you don't need to be a body builder to use OfA, but you need to be fit and mostly you need to know what you are doing. Deku is not just getting physically stronger, he also learns to use his power. Which is likely why Toshinori and Shimura could use it without being buff.

Sidenote : I never paid attention to Healing Girl giving out candy but I don't think Pez are that bad.. Are they?
    "What's done is done."

16. - Top - End - #346

Well.. technically, we dont know anything about said history at all. Or whom it were given to. But we do know quirks were a lot less common in earlier generations.

We dont know if One for All can empower another quirk.
    for that matter, while Quirks are genetic, then they still twist, mix and mutate. And as her grandson Shigaraki is quite a bit removed from Shimura. There is a great chance she did not even have dust/decay power.
    This is true, but it's far more likely that the people who've had it have quirks.

We do actually. Deku mentions "why not give the power to Todoroki his power is really strong already" and All Might is like yeah, One For All would increase his power a lot. Shigaraki is Shimura's grandson, which...isn't actually very far removed at all. I don't think Shimura had the Decay quirk, my personal theory is that her quirk relates to being able to hit pressure points or internals directly without breaking the skin (which could reasonable evolve into "rip them apart moleculary" since a power that lets you puch someone directly in the heart could be used to rip them apart as well). My guess on Shimura's quirk has absolutely no basis in reality beyond thinking of less villainous examples of Tomura's power, though.

I'll have to agree, I'm not sure how much of what Zodiac says is canon or Fan theory. We'll likely know a lot more once the movie is out. (so this weekend) at least about Toshinori's past.

That said, I'm sure you don't need to be a body builder to use OfA, but you need to be fit and mostly you need to know what you are doing. Deku is not just getting physically stronger, he also learns to use his power. Which is likely why Toshinori and Shimura could use it without being buff.

Sidenote : I never paid attention to Healing Girl giving out candy but I don't think Pez are that bad.. Are they?
    I'll admit a lot of what I've said is conjecture, but given what the series has shown us and told us, it makes sense. Like I said above, All Might mentioned Shouta would of been a better candidate since his base quirk is so strong already, One For All would just make him that much stronger. Though yes, next Monday we're probably gonna get a lot of definitive answers to these questions. I look forward to the answers regardless of if I'm right or not (I'm pretty sure I am though).

Pez isn't bad, but in comparison to other candies you COULD get, it's bad. If you want to have some pez it's good because you want it. They're tiny sugar tablets with minor flavor to it, and if you want some today that's good. But if someone gives you pez but clearly has other, better candies on her person, it's probably gonna feel like a slight. I'll note that she's given Deku good candy most of the time...but gave him a pez the day she told him that she's not recovering him anymore if he can't control his ability.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Troll in the Playground

I think Zodi’s torch metaphor works very well. However it’s not the torch being passed on, it’s the fire. That fire gets stronger with each passing the longer it burns.

This is why natural quirks don’t pass its part of the torch. Also why Mindoro needs strength training. His torch (body with all the DNA and powers that entails) has to be robust enough to carry a huge fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

I'm pretty sure we know nothing about whether or not anyone but the originator had a quirk, so.. I'll wait until next week or the one after that (I guess we won't get too much next week but a story of two brothers)

I should go back and check that candy thing.. But I'm too lazy. It would indeed be pretty mean towards Endeavor if that was what happened.

Also, recent Vigilante was... Kind of boring. Except for koichi's costume antics and the question how imbalanced that cutting quirk might be.
    "What's done is done."

19. - Top - End - #349

Vigilantes is good it just suffers from being a monthly series.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

Vigilantes is good it just suffers from being a monthly series.
    I'm not saying vigilantes is bad, but especially comparing the latest main chapter which has like 5 things happening and doesn't feel rushed, it feels like nothing happens in the new vigilantes. This isn't always the case but it stands out this week.
    "What's done is done."

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

Zodiac does generally have some good insights. She are also just unfortunately god at presenting fan theory as canon :P

Its not that you need to be a body builder, it seems more that you need to be physically fit to handle the strain. At least thats what All Might explained.

This is true, but it's far more likely that the people who've had it have quirks.
    Well.. its only likely because it has had.. what.. 7 previous users? even with a quirk rate as low as initially.. 10-20%? then odds are good one would have had one if going by random chance.

We do actually. Deku mentions "why not give the power to Todoroki his power is really strong already" and All Might is like yeah, One For All would increase his power a lot. Shigaraki is Shimura's grandson, which...isn't actually very far removed at all. I don't think Shimura had the Decay quirk, my personal theory is that her quirk relates to being able to hit pressure points or internals directly without breaking the skin (which could reasonable evolve into "rip them apart moleculary" since a power that lets you puch someone directly in the heart could be used to rip them apart as well). My guess on Shimura's quirk has absolutely no basis in reality beyond thinking of less villainous examples of Tomura's power, though.
    No that doesnt confirm it. I mean that it would empower Todoroki's quirk. It could just as likely just be refering to, that someone who combined the physical abilities of just Deku, with the ice/fire power of Todoroki would be insanely powerful.

And genetically speaking, you are pretty far removed from your grand parent. You only have 25 % of your genetic material on common. And there are 3 other completely difference Quirk branches Shigaraki could have drawn from. As well as 3 chances for mutations or fusions of the quirk.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Bugbear in the Playground

No that doesnt confirm it. I mean that it would empower Todoroki's quirk. It could just as likely just be refering to, that someone who combined the physical abilities of just Deku, with the ice/fire power of Todoroki would be insanely powerful.
    This is also how I always interpreted it.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Zodiac does generally have some good insights. She are also just unfortunately god at presenting fan theory as canon :P

Its not that you need to be a body builder, it seems more that you need to be physically fit to handle the strain. At least thats what All Might explained.

Well.. its only likely because it has had.. what.. 7 previous users? even with a quirk rate as low as initially.. 10-20%? then odds are good one would have had one if going by random chance.

And genetically speaking, you are pretty far removed from your grand parent. You only have 25 % of your genetic material on common. And there are 3 other completely difference Quirk branches Shigaraki could have drawn from. As well as 3 chances for mutations or fusions of the quirk.
    The interesting thing is that the background of OfA implies that it gathers quirks over time. The original quirks were stockpiling power and the ability to pass down quirks, nothing stops them from passing down Todoroki's quirks when he is done being the inheritor.

24. - Top - End - #354

I'm not saying vigilantes is bad, but especially comparing the latest main chapter which has like 5 things happening and doesn't feel rushed, it feels like nothing happens in the new vigilantes. This isn't always the case but it stands out this week.
    I was agreeing with you.

I'm very convincing, but to be fair that's because I at least try to back it up with things that could confirm it. Though my Dad also has said before I'm really good at making it sound like I know exactly what I'm talking about, even when I'm not. It's a surety of self I wish I had in other things, to be sure

I feel like it confirms it just because of the reasonable assumption that "oh the other holders of the torch gave it to quirked people since they'd be stronger than someone quirkless with it". Like, that feels fair. Shimura gave it to All Might because he inspired her (ignoring my theory about that that I posted awhile ago...).

I didn't...actually realize you'd be far detached from your Grandparents. Huh. I still think it's fair to think they might be related. Vaguely medical, pressure point hitting hands could easily become decay hands after a generation or two of removal?

25. - Top - End - #355
    Troll in the Playground

Has anyone questioned the possibility that Midoriya has a quirk of his own...its just some undetectable usually useless quirk that may manifest at just the right moment?

Even if he doesn't...I'm pretty sure Naruto wasn't intended to be the son of the fourth Hokage when he was first introduced and that is something introduced later as part of the power-creep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

26. - Top - End - #356

I have to admit, the idea of one for all getting stronger with each generation is terrifying. Not just for its potential, but because it almost has to mean that eventually it will be too strong for the next generation to survive without some extreme measures. I mean, midoriya went on a hardcore training regimen that turned him from weeny into a freaking RIPPED weeny. And even then he was barely able to survive activating it. His limbs didnt pop off, but they did turn into many many splinters of agonizing horror. And even now he can only handle a small portion of it. I think even in the manga he is under a quarter right? Maybe in the future only those with impressive physical durability quirks will be able to take it?

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

27. - Top - End - #357

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Has anyone questioned the possibility that Midoriya has a quirk of his own...its just some undetectable usually useless quirk that may manifest at just the right moment?

Even if he doesn't...I'm pretty sure Naruto wasn't intended to be the son of the fourth Hokage when he was first introduced and that is something introduced later as part of the power-creep.
    He explicitly was, actually.

But yeah no, no, never. I never think this will happen. If it does I'll pay you fifty bucks I'm that sure of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I have to admit, the idea of one for all getting stronger with each generation is terrifying. Not just for its potential, but because it almost has to mean that eventually it will be too strong for the next generation to survive without some extreme measures. I mean, midoriya went on a hardcore training regimen that turned him from weeny into a freaking RIPPED weeny. And even then he was barely able to survive activating it. His limbs didnt pop off, but they did turn into many many splinters of agonizing horror. And even now he can only handle a small portion of it. I think even in the manga he is under a quarter right? Maybe in the future only those with impressive physical durability quirks will be able to take it?
    A friend of mine discussed this me before and it's...a really hard truth that yeah, there is going to be a point where it literally cannot be passed on. I do think it might be possible, it would just require way more rigorous monitoring than "watching him work out on a beach".

Deku's currently at 20% by the way.

28. - Top - End - #358

He explicitly was, actually.

But yeah no, no, never. I never think this will happen. If it does I'll pay you fifty bucks I'm that sure of it.

A friend of mine discussed this me before and it's...a really hard truth that yeah, there is going to be a point where it literally cannot be passed on. I do think it might be possible, it would just require way more rigorous monitoring than "watching him work out on a beach".

Deku's currently at 20% by the way.
    Yeah like I could see midoriya training someone up from an early age like 8-10, then passing it on when he turns 18 after years of strict training to get as strong and tough as possible. However, its ALSO possible, that it will be like midoriya is now. Noone will be able to use its full potential, just gradually decreasing percentages. So like, two generations from now, the next all might at his peak is just as tough as our former symbol of peace was at his peak, but thats at 20% of its potential. Trying to use more causes said bone explosions of horror shards. Even 50% would be enough to trigger "your limbs fall off and your body explodes" or whatever all might said to him when talking about the risks.

As a far out prediction for a grand finale. Midoriya realizes this himself, and finds a way to share the one for all spark with all his friends and teammates, dispersing the incredibly lethal buildup of raw power, so its literally one man giving away his power for all.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post

Going by the in-universe medical research, he's quirkless proven by... Something about the bones in his pinky toe. I forgot the details. But if he had a secret quirk it would disprove that in-universe rule.

I'm willing to argue on a bunch of stuff Kishi made up on the go but Naruto looked like the frigging statue from chapter one. It was so obvious people pretty much guessed it from the start. There's little reason to make them look so alike and have them not be related.
    "What's done is done."

30. - Top - End - #360

Going by the in-universe medical research, he's quirkless proven by... Something about the bones in his pinky toe. I forgot the details. But if he had a secret quirk it would disprove that in-universe rule.

I'm willing to argue on a bunch of stuff Kishi made up on the go but Naruto looked like the frigging statue from chapter one. It was so obvious people pretty much guessed it from the start. There's little reason to make them look so alike and have them not be related.
    The specific explanation is that, and I'll note it's NOT 100% confirmed scientifically in universe, but in almost all cases, people with quirks have one pinkie toe bone instead of two.

Yeah. Like, there are some clear "comes out of nowhere stuff" like Moon Mom and stuff, but the stuff that was foreshadowed was forsehadowed from minute one.