New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 2: I will endeavor to become a thread you can be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    He explicitly was, actually.

But yeah no, no, never. I never think this will happen. If it does I'll pay you fifty bucks I'm that sure of it.

Deku's currently at 20% by the way.
    I don't think you can say Naruto EXPLICITLY was descended from the Fourth Hokage in Chapter 1, even if Kishimoto intended it.

This source claims that the original Fourth Hokage concept was a dog (who would train Naruto). The editors said no and forced him to make it Naruto's dad. Note, however, Kishimoto, according to this source, did have a concept of Naruto's dad as Minato way back then.

On the other hand, I see that the fourth Hokage looks like Minato and a bit like Naruto from the mountain carving...so its at least implicit.

The specific explanation is that, and I'll note it's NOT 100% confirmed scientifically in universe, but in almost all cases, people with quirks have one pinkie toe bone instead of two.

Yeah. Like, there are some clear "comes out of nowhere stuff" like Moon Mom and stuff, but the stuff that was foreshadowed was forsehadowed from minute one.
    The explanation I recall the doctor saying "in most cases" the people with quirks "because they are more evolved" only have one bone on their pinkie toe. Doesn't sound absolute. In fact, we know people assume Midoriya's quirk just showed up late.

More problematic is that people's quirks are usually their mothers/fathers or some combination supposedly. However, we don't really know how firm that is either.

So it could happen that Midoriya has a (mostly) unusable natural quirk, its just not foreshadowed.

Of course, even if you can't say its a quirk, his true heroic trait, of course, is his extreme selfless bravery. That's something that's yet to be fully appreciated in-comic by the public (although its obviously the point of the entire manga). Making that his quirk is the sort of fantastic BS they could pull on us.

Is Midoriya at 20% in the anime or the manga at this point?

Note that they say the reason that Midoriya breaks bones when he uses his power is only part because he is using 100%. The other problem is that he is calling the power to the specific part of the body and all at once. It could be Midoriya's abuse of the power that is largely responsible for his early problems.

One for All can also be passed to someone with a natural durability quirk, so its not a pressing issue. However, Midoriya doing something like passing his power to multiple people has a nice end-game ring to it, if a sad ending because it means Midoriya doesn't get to be a hero anymore...although I still don't see why having a quirk is so necessary in this world of supertech, amazing martial artists (Eraser Head doesn't beat people with his quirk, he turns the power off and then goes to town), and where the aforementioned point seems to be Midoriya's true heroism isn't fully appreciated because the professional stuff has taken over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

2. - Top - End - #362
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 2: I will endeavor to become a thread you can be proud of

Deku is at 20 percent in the manga right now.

Also something I forgot to say about this weeks chapter:
    Spoiler
    Show
    We learn a faint bit about Hawks backstory! Hawks, the Man Who Is Slightly Too Fast. A poor kid who saved a bunch of people from a car crash at a young age, picked up and fast tracked by the hero schooling system so that he and his family had an easy ride. He was catapulted to success. He is a man who's life has no brakes, and that's fascinating to me.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    One for All can also be passed to someone with a natural durability quirk, so its not a pressing issue. However, Midoriya doing something like passing his power to multiple people has a nice end-game ring to it, if a sad ending because it means Midoriya doesn't get to be a hero anymore...although I still don't see why having a quirk is so necessary in this world of supertech, amazing martial artists (Eraser Head doesn't beat people with his quirk, he turns the power off and then goes to town), and where the aforementioned point seems to be Midoriya's true heroism isn't fully appreciated because the professional stuff has taken over.
    Eraser Head also gets pasted the moment he runs into a villain with a...I forget the term used for it but the Quirks he can't turn off and is also an excellent physical specimen aka Nobu.

This is a more general question but have we seen any super tech that's way beyond what we have now? Some of it is impressive in the comic book way, but I can't think of any actual supertech like a freeze ray or anything.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

4. - Top - End - #364

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Eraser Head also gets pasted the moment he runs into a villain with a...I forget the term used for it but the Quirks he can't turn off and is also an excellent physical specimen aka Nobu.

This is a more general question but have we seen any super tech that's way beyond what we have now? Some of it is impressive in the comic book way, but I can't think of any actual supertech like a freeze ray or anything.
    Noumu.

Holograms just exist casually. Like, Deku using a computer to watch that clip is super old tech and speaks to how poor he is. Kirishima has a collection of holograph projectors that are basically the equivalent of VCR TV recordings he made. Given the stuff Mei Hatsumei has made freeze rays are probably entirely possible, especially since Quirk science means there's probably some tech that's just a freeze ray but missing a power source since it's attached to an ice hero's arm.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2018-07-31 at 10:13 PM.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

I feel like it confirms it just because of the reasonable assumption that "oh the other holders of the torch gave it to quirked people since they'd be stronger than someone quirkless with it". Like, that feels fair. Shimura gave it to All Might because he inspired her (ignoring my theory about that that I posted awhile ago...).

I didn't...actually realize you'd be far detached from your Grandparents. Huh. I still think it's fair to think they might be related. Vaguely medical, pressure point hitting hands could easily become decay hands after a generation or two of removal?
    Yeah.. unfortunately an assumption cant confirm anything, because it by definition is guesswork. Doing so, or listening to emotions, is just about the worst possible crime in the scientific method you need to actually confirm anything. Sengoku would be disapointed with you :P

And yes, they are related in a direct line, but the point is really that her Quirk could have been anything, including nothing.
    You should also not allow the perception of her being a hero to decide that her quirk therefore needs to be different. It could be precisely the same. Or even worse.

Of course, even if you can't say its a quirk, his true heroic trait, of course, is his extreme selfless bravery. That's something that's yet to be fully appreciated in-comic by the public (although its obviously the point of the entire manga). Making that his quirk is the sort of fantastic BS they could pull on us.
    It would be complete and utter crap. If his heroism comes from his unknown quirk, then it utterly deminishes Deku as a character. And i think almost any writer could tell that.

No.. or yes.. i guess depending on your point of view. The robots at the entrance exam, they are a bit past what we can produce at the moment. Mostly in mobility.
    And the bandages Eraserhead uses, they are as such more or less magical. But no i would not say we have seen any actual kind of super tech. We dont know if Nomu's are made with a quirk.

Well.. i dont think All Might passing his power were a sad ending for him. More like a well deserved retirement.
    But why having a quirk is nececary? well.. its the same reason for why someone missing a hand cant be a policeman, or a firemand, or a soldier.
    Yes, you can learn to fill the role. But your still crippled compared to a normal person, in a position where they pick the top 10% or so.
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2018-08-01 at 04:03 AM.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ettin in the Playground

Noumu.
    ... *face-palms* Yeah, Noumu.

Holograms just exist casually. Like, Deku using a computer to watch that clip is super old tech and speaks to how poor he is. Kirishima has a collection of holograph projectors that are basically the equivalent of VCR TV recordings he made. Given the stuff Mei Hatsumei has made freeze rays are probably entirely possible, especially since Quirk science means there's probably some tech that's just a freeze ray but missing a power source since it's attached to an ice hero's arm.
    Wait, what? Kirishima has holograph projectors? Was it during his flashback?

And to be clear, I mean tech that is independent of an individual's Quirk. While a freeze ray and a device that is powered by an individual's Quirk to function as a freeze ray are functionally the same and both fall under super-tech, I mean examples of the former rather than the later.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

And to be clear, I mean tech that is independent of an individual's Quirk. While a freeze ray and a device that is powered by an individual's Quirk to function as a freeze ray are functionally the same and both fall under super-tech, I mean examples of the former rather than the later.
    One of the underlying plots of the story is that the Quirks slowed down society and technological developments by centuries. It is explicitly brought up by All Might and Deku when they first discuss All for One.

8. - Top - End - #368

YEah, it's during a flashback of his in a later arc. Thought you where up to date on the manga, sorry.

What I'm saying is that, if you took that ice hero's freeze ray arm attachment, you'd have a 99% complete freeze ray. You just need to find a way to power it. So I'd say tech is pretty advanced! Look at Bakugo's gauntlets that absorb his sweat. Just attach nitroglycerin canisters to those and you have AN EXPLOSION GUN.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Well.. i dont think All Might passing his power were a sad ending for him. More like a well deserved retirement.
    But why having a quirk is nececary? well.. its the same reason for why someone missing a hand cant be a policeman, or a firemand, or a soldier.
    Yes, you can learn to fill the role. But your still crippled compared to a normal person, in a position where they pick the top 10% or so.
    All-Might wasn’t looking to retire, he was horribly injured and needed a successor fast. Then he exhausted the rest of his power and revealed his weakness to the world. He feels ashamed for how the students look at him now. Maybe in the manga he adjusted to his new role. It’s still raw in the anime.

As far as not having a quirk. It’s like missing a hand, when you live in a society where prosthetic limbs are available and can be made with superpowers

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    One of the underlying plots of the story is that the Quirks slowed down society and technological developments by centuries. It is explicitly brought up by All Might and Deku when they first discuss All for One.
    The follow up was: if there were no superpowers we’d all be vacationing on other planets now. It’s why the tech level is near future rather than Sci-fi future.

That doesn’t explain why there are no technology based-superheroes. We even see one prospect except she’s more interested and tinkering with the stuff then using it herself.

What I'm saying is that, if you took that ice hero's freeze ray arm attachment, you'd have a 99% complete freeze ray. You just need to find a way to power it. So I'd say tech is pretty advanced! Look at Bakugo's gauntlets that absorb his sweat. Just attach nitroglycerin canisters to those and you have AN EXPLOSION GUN.
    So much this. Note that in both Marvel and DC you’ve had tech-based heroes since the early days, when the imagined supertech is way less advanced than what they got in MHA. You know, Ironman, Batman...they’re only like the most popular characters and leaders of their respective Superhero teams...filled with the top-level “natural” superheroes.
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.

10. - Top - End - #370

All-Might wasn’t looking to retire, he was horribly injured and needed a successor fast. Then he exhausted the rest of his power and revealed his weakness to the world. He feels ashamed for how the students look at him now. Maybe in the manga he adjusted to his new role. It’s still raw in the anime.

As far as not having a quirk. It’s like missing a hand, when you live in a society where prosthetic limbs are available and can be made with superpowers

The follow up was: if there were no superpowers we’d all be vacationing on other planets now. It’s why the tech level is near future rather than Sci-fi future.

That doesn’t explain why there are no technology based-superheroes. We even see one prospect except she’s more interested and tinkering with the stuff then using it herself.

So much this. Note that in both Marvel and DC you’ve had tech-based heroes since the early days, when the imagined supertech is way less advanced than what they got in MHA. You know, Ironman, Batman...they’re only like the most popular characters and leaders of their respective Superhero teams...filled with the top-level “natural” superheroes.
    The reason why there are no tech based heroes (and technically there are, actually, but it's really a definition of what classifies as tech and "are", actually) is because, as All Might says at the beginning...quirks are a game changer. Even with tech, someone who's spent literally their entire life mastering the ability to shoot a fireball at you is going to overwhelm you.

A good example of this from the manga (BIG SPOILERS):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nighteye. His power is basically unimportant to the actual way he fights. He is a tech based hero. He just hits you with martial arts and cool gadgets like his weighted office balls.

He went up against Overhaul and got ****ing murdered. There's only so much you can do if you don't have a quirk, or at least a combat capable one.

In a less spoilery sort: Assuming Mei Hatsumei becomes a hero as opposed to just making gear for people, she will be an AMAZING tech hero. Though like Reddish says, she's the Q, not the James Bond.

Also, depending on your definitions Aoyama is a tech based hero. He cannot use his quirk without the support item he has, because it's just too damaging otherwise. Would that classify as tech hero?

Ultimately, even using the explosion gun I mentioned above, a solely tech based hero is just not vestatile enough to deal with how powerful and versatile quirks are. Explosion Gun Man would lose to Kirishima, who's power is that he's hard.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2018-08-01 at 07:40 PM.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

You mean the things that are likely made by All for One and his quirk manipulation quirk?
    At least according to what were said of the one that fough All Might.

More like a 10% complete one. Powering a device is usually one of the biggest challenges.
    And no.. if you attach nitroglycerin canisters to something then you got an explosion, not a explosion gun. That stuff is ridiculously unstable.

It isnt. When looking at hero-grade quirks, like Todorokis, then the hand is a hook at best.

It does actually. In general its like giving a gun to a one-armed man. Yes he can use it. But its even more effective in the hands of one with 2 hands.

What? no Marvels, and Iron Mans technology is insanely advanced. Its far enough ahead that he could likely wipe the floor with All Might. Or make it a close fight.

Batman meanwhile isnt leading the JL if thats the team your talking about. That task usually land on Supermans shoulders.

12. - Top - End - #372

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    You mean the things that are likely made by All for One and his quirk manipulation quirk?
    At least according to what were said of the one that fough All Might.

More like a 10% complete one. Powering a device is usually one of the biggest challenges.
    And no.. if you attach nitroglycerin canisters to something then you got an explosion, not a explosion gun. That stuff is ridiculously unstable.
    Noumu are made by All For One, yes.

Not correct! Bakugo literally sweats the stuff, and his gauntlets are designed to catch it and fire it out like a gun. They designed a device that fires nitro like an explosion gun, all he does is supply the fuel (and if he moves his hand, changes the muzzle size). That seems like 99% complete to me.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Troll in the Playground

The reason why there are no tech based heroes (and technically there are, actually, but it's really a definition of what classifies as tech and "are", actually) is because, as All Might says at the beginning...quirks are a game changer. Even with tech, someone who's spent literally their entire life mastering the ability to shoot a fireball at you is going to overwhelm you.

Ultimately, even using the explosion gun I mentioned above, a solely tech based hero is just not vestatile enough to deal with how powerful and versatile quirks are. Explosion Gun Man would lose to Kirishima, who's power is that he's hard.
    What you have to say in the middle seem to contradict what you have to say here, but taking these paragraphs as is I have to object.

Sure, they can say this in the manga or anime as the explanation. However, I haven't seen it cleanly stated that tech alone isn't versatile and powerful enough against a quirk.

Barring that, there's no reason conceptually why someone can't spend a lifetime mastering a fireball blaster or a broad array of devices and be just as good. Using a number of different devices should give them an edge over quirk users who mostly get very good and versatile with one trick.

A good example of this from the manga (BIG SPOILERS):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nighteye. His power is basically unimportant to the actual way he fights. He is a tech based hero. He just hits you with martial arts and cool gadgets like his weighted office balls.

He went up against Overhaul and got ****ing murdered. There's only so much you can do if you don't have a quirk, or at least a combat capable one.

In a less spoilery sort: Assuming Mei Hatsumei becomes a hero as opposed to just making gear for people, she will be an AMAZING tech hero. Though like Reddish says, she's the Q, not the James Bond.

Also, depending on your definitions Aoyama is a tech based hero. He cannot use his quirk without the support item he has, because it's just too damaging otherwise. Would that classify as tech hero?
    Other examples of great skill aside form their quirk is Stain shows himself quite capable even without using his quirk. He is quite capable of dodging and damaging professional heroes and the top of the class and only supplements those skills with Bloodcurdle.

NO Aoyama doesn't count, but I'd think someone with a laser gun and a decent generator could easily be more versatile than him, whose limited to a belly-button blaster.

Yes, I think Mei Hatsumei shows her potential as a tech hero in the competition, but quickly exits that space. Her quirk has nothing to do with combat. That's why I think gadgets have a great deal of potential.

Sure gadgets don't function to the extremes of power that they do in DC and Marvel. However, the heroes of MHA don't show the cosmic-depths of power that those heroes have showed either. The most powerful hero is All-Might and his strength wouldn't put him in the top tier of either franchise's strong people.
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2018-08-01 at 09:31 PM.

14. - Top - End - #374

What you have to say in the middle seem to contradict what you have to say here, but taking these paragraphs as is I have to object.

Sure, they can say this in the manga or anime as the explanation. However, I haven't seen it cleanly stated that tech alone isn't versatile and powerful enough against a quirk.

Barring that, there's no reason conceptually why someone can't spend a lifetime mastering a fireball blaster or a broad array of devices and be just as good. Using a number of different devices should give them an edge over quirk users who mostly get very good and versatile with one trick.

Other examples of great skill aside form their quirk is Stain shows himself quite capable even without using his quirk. He is quite capable of dodging and damaging professional heroes and the top of the class and only supplements those skills with Bloodcurdle.

NO Aoyama doesn't count, but I'd think someone with a laser gun and a decent generator could easily be more versatile than him, whose limited to a belly-button blaster.

Yes, I think Mei Hatsumei shows her potential as a tech hero in the competition, but quickly exits that space. Her quirk has nothing to do with combat. That's why I think gadgets have a great deal of potential.

Sure gadgets don't function to the extremes of power that they do in DC and Marvel. However, the heroes of MHA don't show the cosmic-depths of power that those heroes have showed either. The most powerful hero is All-Might and his strength wouldn't put him in the top tier of either franchise's strong people.
    I feel like in this case, absence is the evidence. That there haven't been any purely tech powered heroes beyond a very scant few who's quirks just aren't combat capable shows that tech, while USEFUL, is just not enough. Also I've remembered another fairly techie hero, the Jetpack guy that Mei's jetboots where based on.

Aoyama has support gear that lets him redirect his laser to other points on his body and he's slowly learning how to better use his lasers. I'd argue this is showing that he's getting more versatile THROUGH TECH and thus could be classified as a tech hero, even if he still has a quirk. This is a tough dividing line I think, and one that's actually interesting to think about.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Troll in the Playground

I feel like in this case, absence is the evidence. That there haven't been any purely tech powered heroes beyond a very scant few who's quirks just aren't combat capable shows that tech, while USEFUL, is just not enough. Also I've remembered another fairly techie hero, the Jetpack guy that Mei's jetboots where based on.

Aoyama has support gear that lets him redirect his laser to other points on his body and he's slowly learning how to better use his lasers. I'd argue this is showing that he's getting more versatile THROUGH TECH and thus could be classified as a tech hero, even if he still has a quirk. This is a tough dividing line I think, and one that's actually interesting to think about.
    Again...you start off talking about the absence of pure tech heroes...while immediately segueing to heroes that are largely tech based. Aoyama is getting more and more versatile because of tech. Midoriya's tech has saved his arms and strengthened him. At some point, the question becomes why technology always has to work through a quirk-carrying hero and cannot itself provide the quirk.

The few heroes with sensory quirks who rely on tech for combat already come very close to showing that the potential is there. The quirk simply serves to qualify them as a hero. Sensory types get by in combat purely on their skills and tech.

In fact, we see there are night vision goggles and other fancy detection devices, why do they even need sensory type heroes?

I'm not saying the manga authors couldn't come up with an explanation like you are suggesting. I'm saying that they don't and if they did, its not very convincing.
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2018-08-01 at 09:57 PM.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

Not correct! Bakugo literally sweats the stuff, and his gauntlets are designed to catch it and fire it out like a gun. They designed a device that fires nitro like an explosion gun, all he does is supply the fuel (and if he moves his hand, changes the muzzle size). That seems like 99% complete to me.
    Wrong, just because it seems 99% complete does not mean it is complete.
    What part of that design solves the issue of nitrolgycering being a freaky unsteable substance that will blow up if you look at it funny

And at the same time, there isnt any combat specialised heroes who dont have a combat quirk.
    Though i guess.. at the same time i have argued for the entire bit actually being a little silly. You could likely replace anyone beneath the top 5-10% with regular police. At least when it comes to dealing with criminals. Just give them a stick, a taser and a pistol.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Firbolg in the Playground

The obvious explanation is that this was never intended to be that kind of story. If it was Midoriya would have found some elaborate Joestar trick to beat that slime villain in chapter one and never needed to get a quirk at all. But he does because this is a story obsessed with the idea that quirks mostly just lead to battles being about one big punch regardless of creative options available, and powers that let you punch big fit that mold more than actual creative writing around an underdog protagonist who didn't get his potential handed to him from the word go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

18. - Top - End - #378

If anything his quirk would likely be his absurd planning skills. Take the all might versus all for one fight. He went from frozen in terror panic to combining everyones quirks together to create an opening, and using the psychological knowledge he had of kaachan to put together a plan that worked insanely well. Took less than a minute really. I say he is more batman, not due to tech, but due to his detective and problem solving abilities. He is the guy who will find the way out of any deathtrap and pull off the win. But a subtle mental quirk, allowing him to form those mental connections between bits of data and use them to accomplish the incredible, would both make sense, and be the sort of thing you could easily point out the foreshadowing too as he was constantly using his notebooks to gather data, compile information, and mumble plans around planning plans to counter plans of other planners. (and driving everyone around him nuts with the mumbling) Had he never gotten all mights quirk he could have been an exceptional home base type. Basically the guy on the communicator back at base going through everything his crew were working on and putting it all together, coordinating events and whatnot.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

19. - Top - End - #379
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I could see a tech based hero being someone with some sort of power generator quirk. I.E.: He can use more advanced tech that would normally be too small for the power source it would require, but can only work in his hands as he provides the necessary power for.

But, for one reason or another, the narrative simply will not allow for a quirkless hero. Alternatively I could see a smart and capable tech based quirkless villain really messing things up. Possibly one that is frustrated with this quirk based society. Sure, maybe his tech could be used better in the hands of other villains with quirks but his pride would simply not allow him to admit this to himself.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2018-08-02 at 06:20 PM.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Bugbear in the Playground

Something to keep in mind is that there are several allusions to how Hero support items are regulated. When they go to talk to Powerloader about upgrading their costumes, he mentions that he has to send their requests to get approved.(I'm not sure by who though) It could be that these regulation entities deliberately limit the technology available so you don't get stuff like super powerful freeze rays and the like.

Somewhat tangential to this discussion, when they first started developing their super moves in earnest the teachers mentioned that they don't have to necessarily be attacks but can be observational or analytical techniques. I'm hoping that this is foreshadowing Midoriya realizing that those skills he honed over his life are something special and worthy of being called a super move.

21. - Top - End - #381

The funny thing about the ultimate move deal was, so few of them were something I would call an "ultimate move" To me, thats a fight finisher special attack. United states of smash, rasenshuriken, sweet chin music (I love you shawn michaels) things like that. In reality, it was more of a "Ok, you need to come up with more ideas on how to use your abilities" class. They all developed greater flexibility, came up with a few new tricks to add to the arsenal, but none of it was seemingly on the level of "ultimate attack" So I wondered if it was a translation issue since I was reading english subtitles.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

22. - Top - End - #382
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    The obvious explanation is that this was never intended to be that kind of story...this is a story obsessed with the idea that quirks mostly just lead to battles being about one big punch regardless of creative options available, and powers that let you punch big fit that mold more than actual creative writing around an underdog protagonist who didn't get his potential handed to him from the word go.
    I think you are selling this story short.

Of course, I did as well by suggesting Midoriya’s quirk is his bravery. If they make it that Midoriya actually has a super-quirk involving his more cerebral attributes that could be seen as cheapening his abilities

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    If anything his quirk would likely be his absurd planning skills.

He is the guy who will find the way out of any deathtrap and pull off the win. But a subtle mental quirk, allowing him to form those mental connections between bits of data and use them to accomplish the incredible, would both make sense, and be the sort of thing you could easily point out the foreshadowing too as he was constantly using his notebooks to gather data, compile information, and mumble plans around planning plans to counter plans of other planners. (and driving everyone around him nuts with the mumbling) Had he never gotten all mights quirk he could have been an exceptional home base type.
    Or he can be like a lot of other heroes without combat-quirks (or ancillary combat quirks like Uraraka) and simply do the physical work through martial arts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    I could see a tech based hero being someone with some sort of power generator quirk. I.E.: He can use more advanced tech that would normally be too small for the power source it would require, but can only work in his hands as he provides the necessary power for.

But, for one reason or another, the narrative simply will not allow for a quirkless hero. Alternatively I could see a smart and capable tech based quirkless villain really messing things up.
    Midoriya is almost a quirkless hero. The narrative could have been quite different had it allowed Midoriya to literally be a hero without a quirk.

Again, however, the fact that there are no heroes without quirks doesn’t look to be a limitation in the technology, or even because quirks are these impossible-to-surpass differentiators (they are pretty weak in the superpower department compared to other franchises) but its a mind-set.

Is it really a mindset of the world or the authors though? It just hasn’t been explained. I think the reason for this is that any explanation would fall short.

Quote Originally Posted by solidork View Post
    Something to keep in mind is that there are several allusions to how Hero support items are regulated. When they go to talk to Powerloader about upgrading their costumes, he mentions that he has to send their requests to get approved.(I'm not sure by who though) It could be that these regulation entities deliberately limit the technology available so you don't get stuff like super powerful freeze rays and the like.
    I think its a bit of a stretch to say the government is preventing tech based heroes. I think the reasons are more prosaic. It’s regulation for safety or just because, experimental one-off technology is the sort of thing you would think have some sort of quality control process.

It’s definitely super-tech what people are equipping, but its always of the variety that depends on the individuals quirks to function (with the exception of Mei Hatsume when we see her).

Quote Originally Posted by solidork View Post
    Somewhat tangential to this discussion, when they first started developing their super moves in earnest the teachers mentioned that they don't have to necessarily be attacks but can be observational or analytical techniques. I'm hoping that this is foreshadowing Midoriya realizing that those skills he honed over his life are something special and worthy of being called a super move.
    Midoriya’s super-analysis! Needs work on the name.

23. - Top - End - #383

I believe in the manga they just call it a Special Move, whereas the english anime translation is going with Ultimate Move.

24. - Top - End - #384

I believe in the manga they just call it a Special Move, whereas the english anime translation is going with Ultimate Move.
    That makes more sense. Especially since I think eraser head was mentioning they had each developed at least a couple. And midoriyas was "Hey, it turns out I have FEET too!" I look forward to the day he learns he also has knees and elbows.

Speculative thought here. Early on he uses his finger flicks to attack long range with. Makes me wonder if he could one for all his spit. Imagine it, "LOOGIE SMASH!" /ptooie! A hole is drilled through 5 concrete walls.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Speculative thought here. Early on he uses his finger flicks to attack long range with. Makes me wonder if he could one for all his spit. Imagine it, "LOOGIE SMASH!" /ptooie! A hole is drilled through 5 concrete walls.
    What, you want him to break his neck?

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I also think the translation never called for a finisher, just a new special..

Also, not much to say about the new chapter, except I'd have welcomed it if AfO had been less obviously lying. Oh well..
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

27. - Top - End - #387
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Yeah, I also think the translation never called for a finisher, just a new special.
    "Ultimate" isn't a generic superlative. It means "final." Can't speak for the Japanese, but the English anime gave as an example the move Kamui Woods used during the hideout raid, which was meant to close out the fight with one move.

28. - Top - End - #388

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    What, you want him to break his neck?
    BAH! Time for him to develop a super tongue to shape and pressurize the shot from his super lungs! No need to go neck breaking levels, we already know what percentage he can use without damaging himself. Besides, its not like he cant start from 1% and keep working his way up until its either a useable attack, or he has to accept that it requires way too much strength to turn his spit take into an effective attack. I just thought it would be amusing. After all, we use water jets to cut things even now, rubber, wood, metal, high pressure water jets are used to cut them all the time. The concern is, can he focus that much psi on his attack? By shaping his tongue to act as a nozzle he can magnify the amount of force he can expel from his lungs to avoid rupturing them. Theoretically, its something he could be capable of. Blowing up his lungs is the real threat, not breaking his neck.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    "Ultimate" isn't a generic superlative. It means "final." Can't speak for the Japanese, but the English anime gave as an example the move Kamui Woods used during the hideout raid, which was meant to close out the fight with one move.
    Sorry, my phrasing was poor. I meant the translation in the manga (I read) never spoke about ultimate or such, just special or super, not the anime.
    Last edited by Kato; 2018-08-04 at 11:53 AM.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Troll in the Playground

I think its pretty clear from the overall portrayal and what was being trained by everyone in the class that the move was meant to be a special or super move not a finisher. Most of the moves people came up with were not so much finishers as new ways to use their powers.

Midoriya "special move" is "One-for-All Shoot Style" which isn't really a special move, its a new way of fighting. Whatever, you call it, Midoirya is going for the opposite of a special move...he's going for a sustainable way to fight.

Oddly, Midoirya was the only one at the beginning with an "ultimate" finishing move. His only move was to strike with all his power with a one-use move. He now trained a "special" That let's him fight in an effective way that didn't destroy his body (his comment was that it wasn't really an ultimate move, and All Might said instead something to the effect that it was more effective).

Actually, I think half the class came up with moves that were more new ways to use their powers than "special moves."