New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: My Hero Academia 2: I will endeavor to become a thread you can be proud of

First, I have only seen up to episode 12, and I'm watching on Adult Swim.

So, where can I see more episodes? And is this thread more for the anime, or the magna?
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 2: I will endeavor to become a thread you can be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post

So, where can I see more episodes? And is this thread more for the anime, or the magna?
    You can find more on crunchyroll. its up to somewhere in the 50's now.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #393
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hold on: 1 in 300 acceptance rate, 40 accepted, does that mean 12,000 people apply every year?!?

... How common are quirks/heroes in this world?
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Titan in the Playground

We're mostly up to date with most current manga chapters, so that's usually the most recent topic.

Also, most people have quirks, but not that many want to become heroes. But assuming everyone across Japan who wants to be a hero applies for UA 12.000 per year sounds reasonable.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

5. - Top - End - #395
    Colossus in the Playground

Hold on: 1 in 300 acceptance rate, 40 accepted, does that mean 12,000 people apply every year?!?

... How common are quirks/heroes in this world?
    My best guess is around 90% of the population.

Also like Kato said, this thread is for both anime and manga, but it's primarly manga so there are probably going to be unmarked spoilers for YOU, specifically.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    My best guess is around 90% of the population.

Also like Kato said, this thread is for both anime and manga, but it's primarly manga so there are probably going to be unmarked spoilers for YOU, specifically.
    They say 80% but I’m not sure we really get to see any characters who are not heroes use their quirk in a significant way (I don’t follow the manga...yet). All I’ve seen is that occasionally Midoriya’s Mom uses her minor telekinesis quirk for light cleaning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

They say 80% but I’m not sure we really get to see any characters who are not heroes use their quirk in a significant way (I don’t follow the manga...yet). All I’ve seen is that occasionally Midoriya’s Mom uses her minor telekinesis quirk for light cleaning.
    Well not all quirks are equal. A lot of people only got a minor quirk.
    And for that matter, if your not a registered hero then there are a lot of movement type quirks that are heavily regulated.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    And for that matter, if your not a registered hero then there are a lot of movement type quirks that are heavily regulated.
    Just imagine what it'd be like if the MHA-verse goes into space.

All that regulation and heroes competing in a limited environment would suddenly find themselves competing to be the pioneers of the first colonies, astrophysicists would be trying to figuring out how to optimize quirks for living in space or explore certain planets, people would be fighting against the cosmic elements as much as any villains that try to go there to abuse their quirks beyond the reach of earth law, some people would probably go so they can use their quirks freely, just a mess.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

9. - Top - End - #399

It suddenly hit me, do you think those with notable quirks are pushed into hero academy growing up? By which I mean, lets say your quirk turns you into a giant 4 armed ben grimm looking fella, do you think they get bugged alot by wanting to be a florist, not a hero? And would it be better or worse if being a hero was treated as a justice league calling and not a career path like a plumber or doctor? Yes we do see a few students get that push like the burning ice boy, and I think the rich chick with creation powers, but thats more, "I was a hero, you will be a hero" Not, "With great power comes great responsibility"
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #400

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    It suddenly hit me, do you think those with notable quirks are pushed into hero academy growing up? By which I mean, lets say your quirk turns you into a giant 4 armed ben grimm looking fella, do you think they get bugged alot by wanting to be a florist, not a hero? And would it be better or worse if being a hero was treated as a justice league calling and not a career path like a plumber or doctor? Yes we do see a few students get that push like the burning ice boy, and I think the rich chick with creation powers, but thats more, "I was a hero, you will be a hero" Not, "With great power comes great responsibility"
    Yeah, there's definitely some people like that. Hell, that basically describes Hawks origin.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Troll in the Playground

It suddenly hit me, do you think those with notable quirks are pushed into hero academy growing up? By which I mean, lets say your quirk turns you into a giant 4 armed ben grimm looking fella, do you think they get bugged alot by wanting to be a florist, not a hero? And would it be better or worse if being a hero was treated as a justice league calling and not a career path like a plumber or doctor?
    What’s a notable quirk? Moreover, I would think there are lots of fields someone with a well-suited quirk could go into:

You can do a lot in labor intensive fields with a physical quirk.

Think what someone with an intelligence based quirk can do.

Recovery Girl’s talents are arguably better at an ER than at a school nurse’s office. There’s a ton of quirks that could make any particular job a piece of cake.

Even someone like Midoriya’s mom, doesn’t seem like minor TK is that special, but what if she went into doing fine detail work, or, lets say her quirk is even more limited, assembly line work, hazardous waste removal, or something like crime scene investigation or archaeology (she can easily remove delicate items without touching them).
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.

12. - Top - End - #402

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    What’s a notable quirk? Moreover, I would think there are lots of fields someone with a well-suited quirk could go into:

You can do a lot in labor intensive fields with a physical quirk.

Think what someone with an intelligence based quirk can do.

Recovery Girl’s talents are arguably better at an ER than at a school nurse’s office. There’s a ton of quirks that could make any particular job a piece of cake.

Even someone like Midoriya’s mom, doesn’t seem like minor TK is that special, but what if she went into doing fine detail work, or, lets say her quirk is even more limited, assembly line work, hazardous waste removal, or something like crime scene investigation or archaeology (she can easily remove delicate items without touching them).
    By notable I more meant someone who is obviously a super, as I showed by my description. Someone who clearly has a quirk meant for combat (despite the fact that im sure they all have excellent noncombat uses) who for whatever reason is all like, "Yeah, i know, my quirk specifically lets me teleport people to the nearest jail cell instantly with their powers blocked and can in no way be blocked, dodged or avoided, but I wanted to be an actor, not a super."

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #403
    Banned

By notable I more meant someone who is obviously a super, as I showed by my description. Someone who clearly has a quirk meant for combat (despite the fact that im sure they all have excellent noncombat uses) who for whatever reason is all like, "Yeah, i know, my quirk specifically lets me teleport people to the nearest jail cell instantly with their powers blocked and can in no way be blocked, dodged or avoided, but I wanted to be an actor, not a super."
    If this winds up being Kurogiri's backstory, I will personally travel to your local area and buy you the drink of your choice.

14. - Top - End - #404

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    If this winds up being Kurogiri's backstory, I will personally travel to your local area and buy you the drink of your choice.
    I love the idea of that. Kurogiri wanted to be an actor, but his quirk concealing his face meant that he wouldn't really be a good one. He can't show off his looks, he's just mist! So he had to resort to being a bartender, which eventually lead to seedy characters coming in, and one thing lead to another and now he's the League of Villain's warp point.

15. - Top - End - #405

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    I wasnt even thinking about him, that would be hilarious. Just so long as we dont get, "I didnt want to be a super. I wanted to be a lumberjack!

16. - Top - End - #406
    Banned

I wasnt even thinking about him, that would be hilarious. Just so long as we dont get, "I didnt want to be a super. I wanted to be a lumberjack!
    To be fair, that would also be hilarious.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ettin in the Playground

So, Midoriya's dad?

Word of God is that Midoriya's dad has a quirk that lets him breathe fire but he became a salary man on a job that takes him overseas most of the time.

But still, there aren't many non-combat uses for breathing fire.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

18. - Top - End - #408

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    So, Midoriya's dad?

Word of God is that Midoriya's dad has a quirk that lets him breathe fire but he became a salary man on a job that takes him overseas most of the time.

Ok then sure, like that. I just wondered if there was societal pressure to at least TRY to be a hero if your quirk was especially suited to it. Or if its just another job and the average person wouldnt care that someone like eraser head opened his own vet office instead of being a hero. .

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, there's definitely some people like that. Hell, that basically describes Hawks origin.
    It is basically Hawks backstory.
    And we have seen how it has more or less helped shape Bakugo to the person he were at the start of the comic.

Looking at how often the students get hurt then its still a place she is making use of her power to the fullest.

So, Midoriya's dad?

I dont think its a noticeable Quirk. If the range is limited and its just normal fire, then i would say its close to useless.
    The sort of quirk thats more likely to cause more trouble than it solves.

Ok then sure, like that. I just wondered if there was societal pressure to at least TRY to be a hero if your quirk was especially suited to it. Or if its just another job and the average person wouldnt care that someone like eraser head opened his own vet office instead of being a hero. .
    I am quite certain we have already seen a lot of signs hinting towards that the pressure is likely more or less equal to just how strong the quirk is.
    But its just at the same time, hero is likely the most prestitigeous position there is in society. They are their worlds rock stars or elite athletes.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Troll in the Playground

Kurogiri isn’t even that powerful. That’s beyond what quirks do in MHA.

All-Might’s ability is basically a glorified strength-boost that puts him mid-tier in Marvel universe yet he’s the strongest hero, that suggests other abilities aren’t absurdly strong (I.e. speed types aren’t

I am quite certain we have already seen a lot of signs hinting towards that the pressure is likely more or less equal to just how strong the quirk is.
    But its just at the same time, hero is likely the most prestitigeous position there is in society. They are their worlds rock stars or elite athletes.
    I think that’s quite clear. I’m just pointing out what a shame it is that it appears outside of heroes, quirks aren’t used all that much. As all sorts of people could end up using their quirks to turn their jobs super.

21. - Top - End - #411

Kurogiri isn’t even that powerful. That’s beyond what quirks do in MHA.

All-Might’s ability is basically a glorified strength-boost that puts him mid-tier in Marvel universe yet he’s the strongest hero, that suggests other abilities aren’t absurdly strong (I.e. speed types aren’t

I think that’s quite clear. I’m just pointing out what a shame it is that it appears outside of heroes, quirks aren’t used all that much. As all sorts of people could end up using their quirks to turn their jobs super.
    We just never see it. Uraraka herself wants to use her quirk to help out with construction and stuff, after all.

And remember, quirks are heavily regulated. Using your gravity power to fetch something from your shelf is entirely mundane and fine to use, but it is technically breaking the law pretty severely, going purely by how the law is written. For good use of this, look at Koichi from Vigilantes. Dude's power is that he can, at it's most simple, scoot around like a scooter. But he's not cleared to use it on the roads and streets despite it being as fast and as safe as a regular ole scooter. He'd like to use it to get around quickly, but it's a crime.

So unless a person is legally ALLOWED to use their quirks, they won't. It's easier to avoid potential conflict with the law in this case.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2018-08-05 at 09:26 PM.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Troll in the Playground

Dude's power is that he can, at it's most simple, scoot around like a scooter. But he's not cleared to use it on the roads and streets despite it being as fast and as safe as a regular ole scooter. He'd like to use it to get around quickly, but it's a crime.

So unless a person is legally ALLOWED to use their quirks, they won't. It's easier to avoid potential conflict with the law in this case.
    I think we have to be careful about has actually been said about the laws regarding quirks.

There has been some implications (like Shigaraki suggesting why people in a mall don’t start just attacking each other) and the strong attitude not-Macgruff the crime dog that quirk use is illegal.

However, in each case what was being said was that quirks weren’t allowed to be used violently. That’ it. Apparently, this is true even in self-defense, or perhaps the kids were blamed for seeking out Stain.

I don’t recall anywhere it suggested quirk use was generally illegal as you imply. A guy using a quirk like a scooter is a special case, perhaps you need a license for that sort of thing in Japan.

It seems odd a society where everyone has a quirk would make them broadly illegal. That’s going even beyond Fox’s Gifted level of superpower regulation (although the latter is draconian, while MHA sounds lenient on violations). It seems the lack of seeing quirks in people’s day to day is more along the line of...failing to see very many people’s daily lives outside of the lives of heroes and trainees.

23. - Top - End - #413

I think we have to be careful about has actually been said about the laws regarding quirks.

There has been some implications (like Shigaraki suggesting why people in a mall don’t start just attacking each other) and the strong attitude not-Macgruff the crime dog that quirk use is illegal.

However, in each case what was being said was that quirks weren’t allowed to be used violently. That’ it. Apparently, this is true even in self-defense, or perhaps the kids were blamed for seeking out Stain.

I don’t recall anywhere it suggested quirk use was generally illegal as you imply. A guy using a quirk like a scooter is a special case, perhaps you need a license for that sort of thing in Japan.

It seems odd a society where everyone has a quirk would make them broadly illegal. That’s going even beyond Fox’s Gifted level of superpower regulation (although the latter is draconian, while MHA sounds lenient on violations). It seems the lack of seeing quirks in people’s day to day is more along the line of...failing to see very many people’s daily lives outside of the lives of heroes and trainees.
    Vigilantes is tangently canon and I believe it's been mentioned in the series proper that say, Bakugo can't use his quirk to fly to school.

The fact that they're trying to arrest Koichi and Pop*step before they even did illegal crime fighting means it's illegal, or at least relatedly so. All Crawler does is pick up garbage and help old ladies cross the street. Pop just does impromptu pop shows, which isn't a crime as far as I know. No one arrests flash mobs.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Titan in the Playground

Vigilantes is tangently canon and I believe it's been mentioned in the series proper that say, Bakugo can't use his quirk to fly to school.

The fact that they're trying to arrest Koichi and Pop*step before they even did illegal crime fighting means it's illegal, or at least relatedly so. All Crawler does is pick up garbage and help old ladies cross the street. Pop just does impromptu pop shows, which isn't a crime as far as I know. No one arrests flash mobs.
    Crawler pretends to be a hero. Thats more or less the same as impersonating a policeman.
    And whats mainly forbidden is as i recall mobility quirks. The reason for why Bakugo cant go flying around is it will likely lead to a lot of chaos, is everyone with mobile quirk powers tried to use them without a certain grade of training.

25. - Top - End - #415

Managed to convince you all to discuss things in such a way to avoid talking about the illegal scans. Nice~ New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    This chapter ****ing rules. We see how All For One manipulated people, how he truly believes what he's doing is right. And then we see...this is not just a vision. There is more to One For All then All Might told him (as we knew previously from the last time this happened!) and it seems...something has happened. A massive explosion that ripped up Deku's room. Mysterious...I wonder what it could be!

26. - Top - End - #416

Crawler pretends to be a hero. Thats more or less the same as impersonating a policeman.
    And whats mainly forbidden is as i recall mobility quirks. The reason for why Bakugo cant go flying around is it will likely lead to a lot of chaos, is everyone with mobile quirk powers tried to use them without a certain grade of training.
    Of course the fact his mobility is produced by LARGE EFF OFF EXPLOSIONS also might have a bit to do with forbidding it. :p

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

Of course the fact his mobility is produced by LARGE EFF OFF EXPLOSIONS also might have a bit to do with forbidding it. :p
    Not when Crawler, who can glide along the pavement at jogging speed, or Pop, who can jump on air, is also forbidden from doing so.

28. - Top - End - #418

Not when Crawler, who can glide along the pavement at jogging speed, or Pop, who can jump on air, is also forbidden from doing so.
    True, there are probably reasons, liability reasons, to place a general kibosh on using your powers without specific training and such, even someone like pop could cause a distraction based accident, or air jump to the wrong spot and get hurt/hurt someone else, but it still helps to remember that for every crawler, there is a bakugo, and trying to thread a needle between "Probably safe enough to just use when needed" and "Holy crow we cant let this guy even THINK about using his quirk without a 3 year training course and a decades worth of psychiatric treatments!" when it comes to deciding who can use their powers where would be virtually impossible since there are just so freaking many unique quirks with more showing up all the time what with the intermixing between people and such. So its probably just better to go "No, no quirk usage unless arbitrary requirements are met."

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ettin in the Playground

It could very well be that just like there is a license to be a hero, there is an easier one to acquire that allows for general use of your powers that is used to determine if you can use them responsibly or not. Or, in the case of someone like Midoriya's mother, if its dangerous in the first place and thus in need of regulation at all.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

30. - Top - End - #420
    Troll in the Playground

Lord khaine made the points, but I’d also point out flash mobs can be considered illegal depending on their purpose or, in many countries, simply gathering in public can require a permit. Whether or not people get arrested is another thing entirely. People do all sorts of illegal stunts they get away with.

Japan has a different history and attitude with regulation and law than in some Western countries.

I recall there is reference to using mobility quirks as well