New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Maps and stuffs

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Maps and stuffs

Does anyone use an special program on a computer to draw a world map or city map? I've used roll20 before but was wondering if there was any other maybe more effective programs people may use. I'm mainly looking to build a world map for my players for my campaign and did not really want to use MS paint. Thanks for the help.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Maps and stuffs

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowbane13 View Post
    Does anyone use an special program on a computer to draw a world map or city map? I've used roll20 before but was wondering if there was any other maybe more effective programs people may use. I'm mainly looking to build a world map for my players for my campaign and did not really want to use MS paint. Thanks for the help.
    I use Worldographer. It's not the prettiest, and is super resource heavy on a computer (especially with big maps), but it works well for hex-style mapping.

There's also a product by the same company for cities, but it's too fiddly for my skills. I tend to draw city maps more abstractly (only laying out the districts) using powerpoint (for the shapes) and GIMP (for the more detailed parts).
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

I just use a ruler a compass and a pencil. I draw out all my maps because I have not been able to find something to help me but its worked so far.
    Come to the dark side; we have pop-tarts.
    "Is no fun. Is no Blinsky" "He is... FIZBOP THUNDERTOES!!!!!"

Spoiler: The Night of the Living Thread
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DivisibleByZero View Post
    We, as humans, have incisors. Those are made for tearing flesh and meat.
    Meat tastes good.
    If we aren't supposed to eat people, then why are they made of meat?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I know you said that mspaint wasn't your thing, but you can do a lot of basemap work with it. Then add layers for effects like terrain, names, roads and cities with programs like paint.net and gimp, which are both free.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

I use Campaign Cartographer 3. The price tag for the 3 Base programs bundle is a little steep @ $99. That includes Campaign Cartographer 3+ for making world maps, City Designer for...well...cities and Dungeon Designer for, you guessed it, Dungeons. I bought it a few years ago but I've gotten a good bit of use out of it. If I was home, I could post some of the maps I've made. If you are willing to spend that much, it's a great program.

Oh and they offer free tutorial videos that show you step by step on how to make maps.
    Last edited by Unseenmal; 2018-02-15 at 05:31 PM.
    The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I ended up finding inkscape and using that. Only down side was once I got like 30+ layers it started to lag a bit loading and zooming and stuff. But it worked out rather well. Thanks for the input though guys

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I used Inkarnate. It was beta when I started so it was free then, but not sure about now.

Quick to learn and makes great world maps.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

I second campaign cartographer 3. It's pretty good.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!