New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Thor: Ragnarok — First Trailer

Just when I thought I was getting tired of the MCU, they go and give me this.

Not quite sure about the 80s theme, but it’s mildly hilarious all the same.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Thor: Ragnarok — First Trailer

...did someone accidentally drop the tape reels at the studio, and get them mixed up with a bunch of deleted scenes from Star Wars?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The 80's and sci-fi vibes are because they are going to use Ragnarok as a bridge between the Earth-based MCU and Guardians of the Galaxy. Plus yknow, its awesome.
    Seriously out of the entire 9 realms only Asgard still uses swords, its kinda ridiculous. But thats what happens when Space Vikings rule the universe I guess.

And did i see a split second frame of Skurge?

"He stood alone at Gjallerbru..."
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Skurge is confirmed, being played by Eomir/Dredd. And while Gjallerbru remains one of my favorite moments in all comics, it requires quite a bit of set up to have any emotional weight. I doubt we're getting the best thing ever in a Thor comic on film, in the same way I don't expect to see a good rendition of Kraven's Last Hunt.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2017-04-11 at 12:00 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

The last Thor film was pretty dull, I'm glad they've taken a radically different direction. No Earth, no Jane. Blanchett, Goldblum and an 80s bend? I'm much more hyped for this than Spider-man.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    ...did someone accidentally drop the tape reels at the studio, and get them mixed up with a bunch of deleted scenes from Flash Gordon?
    FTFY.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

It looks better than the last two, but that isn't saying much. Like TDW, the spaceships and pulp SF stuff look like the best part. Probably a rental.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The Thor standalones have always had an undercurrent of sci-fi to them. I like this is basically "80s Metal Album Cover: The Movie: Trailer 1".

Also, I think it's everyone's life goal to find that someone that looks them like Thor looks at Hulk.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Y'know, it doesn't really bother me that Valkyrie is black.

But it really, REALLY bothers me that she's so short.

Valkyrie is supposed to be statuesque and Amazonian, dang it.

Pony Felandria by Dirtytabs, OOTS Avvie by Purple Eagle, Doll by Recaiden
    FelandriaDeadra Blackfyre

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

It actually looks really good. I've been burnt out on superhero movies for a while, but I'll probably give this one a shot.

Plus, I appreciate that they didn't ruin the entire plot in the trailer like Spider-man and BVS.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    Seriously out of the entire 9 realms only Asgard still uses swords, its kinda ridiculous. But thats what happens when Space Vikings rule the universe I guess.
    That ain't true. The Frost Giants used ice swords, as did some of the Marauders had melee weapons. And then there's Gamora and Drax.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    The Thor standalones have always had an undercurrent of sci-fi to them. I like this is basically "80s Metal Album Cover: The Movie: Trailer 1".
    Ditto! It feels very classic Marvel.

Also, please please please let this mean that Beta Ray Bill is showing up. He's like, perfect for the aesthetic.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Can someone help me with that new Thor helmet? Did he ever had something like this in the comic? I thought his "winged helmet" was more with actual wings.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Spamalot in the Playground

Put me in for the category liking the throwback style. It feels more interesting than the previous Thor movie, which I agree felt rather dull. I'm stoked to watch this one. :D

Trying to find that version of the song used in the trailer. Immigrant I think is the name of the song?
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, Immigrant something by Led Zepplin. It's very, very appropriate for Vikings. I first heard it with that silly hamster video a decade or so ago.

It looks fun, but silly. Probably a good direction for Thor, although this will be the third time in three movies that Asgard is attacked, invaded, or otherwise nearly destroyed. That bit is getting old.

I assume the evil woman is Hel, and we'll probably see Jormungandr somewhere.
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    Yeah, Immigrant something by Led Zepplin. It's very, very appropriate for Vikings. I first heard it with that silly hamster video a decade or so ago.

It looks fun, but silly. Probably a good direction for Thor, although this will be the third time in three movies that Asgard is attacked, invaded, or otherwise nearly destroyed. That bit is getting old.

Immigrant Song. Durkons battle cry.

"We come from the land of the ice and snow of the midnight sun, where the hot springs glow
    Hammer of the gods..."

Asgard is gonna go down in the like, the opening 10 minutes.

Omishinysnakeygods I would die happy seeing Jormungandr
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Well that was awesome. Not much more to say at this time, looks like it's going to be action-comedy in the vein of Guardians of the Galaxy and the director is great at weird comedy so I'm stoked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yup, Zep, and that's 70s rock, not 80s (shesh, kids these days and their steadfast refusal to vacate my lawn).

Absolutely loved this, and using this as the bridge to get Guardians into Infinity War is perfect. This is going to be a great year Marvel-wise, and adding in Star Wars, a great year for big budget space opera! Now if we could only get a proper Riddick sequel (I enjoyed the last, but not as much as Chronicles)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Also, I think it's everyone's life goal to find that someone that looks them like Thor looks at Hulk.
    That last line "He's a friend from work" made me lose it laughing. It was so unexpected yet perfectly Thor.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    Yup, Zep, and that's 70s rock, not 80s (shesh, kids these days and their steadfast refusal to vacate my lawn).
    I was getting ready to point this out, but you beat me to it. Here, have some of my prune juice!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I actually rather liked both previous Thor movies, personally (I haven't not liked every MCU film period, actually, though I found Hulk a bit lukewarm) and that looks fan-fragging-tastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Vogie View Post
    That last line "He's a friend from work" made me lose it laughing. It was so unexpected yet perfectly Thor.
    Brilliance.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post

Yes, that's Hela, and from the sound of it no Jormungandr (or Fenris, for that matter).

22. - Top - End - #22
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Yes, that's Hela, and from the sound of it no Jormungandr (or Fenris, for that matter).
    Hrm. Hel should not have fire. That's a power for giants, maybe Loki in some versions. Her thing should be disease. (Yes, I know they are very unlike mythology in general anyway, but I like to nitpick.)
    Resident Vancian Apologist

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post

Absolutely loved this, and using this as the bridge to get Guardians into Infinity War is perfect. This is going to be a great year Marvel-wise, and adding in Star Wars, a great year for big budget space opera! Now if we could only get a proper Riddick sequel (I enjoyed the last, but not as much as Chronicles)
    Noone said Zep was 80's.
    The vibe of the trailer was 80s, the blurring words on the title cards, the Mad Max esque schlocky premise, the shots of Valkyrie taking on Hel was straight off an 80's metal album cover.
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Seemed kinda "meh" to me, to be honest, but I'll give the movie a chance.
    I do miss the Shakespearean drama / super-hero combo of the first movie, though.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Vogie View Post
    It's almost straight out of the Team Thor shorts.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Troubadour View Post
    Seemed kinda "meh" to me, to be honest, but I'll give the movie a chance.
    I do miss the Shakespearean drama / super-hero combo of the first movie, though.
    Yeah. That was a fun movie. Still, I think, one of the MCU's best.

I mean, I like the idea that they are not going to Earth. A lot. But I'd like to see perhaps a bit more techno-mythology and a bit less Star Wars/Flash Gordon/John Carter.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Fenris and Surtur were confirmed by Marvel last year.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

It is looking like Thor 3 is going to introduce to the MCU more daughters that their fathers can be proud of, where dad says my girl is more badass than I am, and I am proud that this is the case.

Villainy and Heroics is not something limited to people with a Y chromosome. Hell, or perhaps I should say Hel, we have more robots and exoskeletons being the heros and villians than proper female badasses in the marvel cinematic universe.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    It is looking like Thor 3 is going to introduce to the MCU more daughters that their fathers can be proud of, where dad says my girl is more badass than I am, and I am proud that this is the case.

Villainy and Heroics is not something limited to people with a Y chromosome. Hell, or perhaps I should say Hel, we have more robots and exoskeletons being the heros and villians than proper female badasses in the marvel cinematic universe.
    Well that's a bit of an unfair comparison. After Iron-Man 3 and Age of Ultron there are more exoskeletons and robots than there are any other character in the MCU.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Not quite sure about the 80s theme, but it’s mildly hilarious all the same.
    Well that's the age we live in. Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool did so well every superhero movie has to have a nostalgic soundtrack that may or may clash with tone of the film. Sometimes it works. Other times it doesn't.

So if it wasn't abundant by the above statement I'm not certain on the direction of the film so far. I only really liked the part with Thor in the arena with the Hulk. That was funny and should make for a good fight.